MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I don't see why anyone expected a $200 Gunship. If they released a system scale one now it would probably be $160. The Gunship had to be at least $300.

I agree. It couldn’t be done justice at a UCS scale at only $200. It would look great, but just like the Tantive IV, it just wouldn’t really be UCS. I’m glad they decided not to brand the Tantive IV as UCS since it really is a system scale set. 

I've lingered in the background long enough, I don't think I've ever been this excited for the years upcoming sets. I can never remember though, when do prelim pics begin to leak usually? And, is the summer release generally May or June?

44 minutes ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

I've lingered in the background long enough, I don't think I've ever been this excited for the years upcoming sets. I can never remember though, when do prelim pics begin to leak usually? And, is the summer release generally May or June?

Last year was sort of all over the place, so I would say it depends.  We had a very, very blurry picture of General Grievous' fighter leak in February, the 501st official pictures come out in April, the UCS A-Wing revealed and released in May, official pictures of the AT-AT in May, and then the AAT, Final Duel, IT-S, Anakin's Fighter, and Knights of Ren ship all leaked in late May/early June.  Sets started to appear in like late June/early July in Europe, early August for North America.  

However, last year's leaks were also very spread out, we didn't even know the full contents of the wave until maybe late February/early March, and even then, we only had loose details (for example, the 501st set was just described as a BARC without any other firm information), and we had no idea about the exclusives until the pictures actually leaked (we were told there might be exclusives, but the IT-S was a complete surprise and I think the Final Duel had been given a set number and price point but was just "unknown exclusive" prior to the pictures).  The fact that the list leaked this early and was this complete might mean pics come sooner, though I have no idea.

Also, I wanted to say, anyone else find it funny that we had almost the entire summer wave leak with fairly clear details and we still have no confirmed info as far as the third helmet this spring?

2 hours ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

Welcome back! Last year had a few early official reveals for promo purposes, but I'd guess we'll see most of the sets leak in may, with the main wave releasing in august. The UCS sets will probably be r2 revealed and releasing in may, the gunship being a complete surprise, and the at-at being revealed and released in september/october. The 18+ meditation chamber is a wild card here.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

Also, I wanted to say, anyone else find it funny that we had almost the entire summer wave leak with fairly clear details and we still have no confirmed info as far as the third helmet this spring?

Yes. Watch the official reveal of the helmets have the third one blurred out, and upon it's release in stores the box is just blank.

13 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Regarding the ucs gunship, I really couldn't care less if it has 0 minifigs. This is one ucs I genuinely only care about the build for, to which is why I voted for it. Its different, its not gray, its not some random miniscale cluster of shales. The nebulon B means nothing to me, it doesn't have an appealing shape nor much prominence in the films other than a stage backdrop. The gunship however, colourful, refreshing, presenting much more of a challenge for the designer to get the shaping correct as you can't just attach random bits as a representation of greebling. Not at this size you can't. It's going to be an extraordinary display piece. Rather than something that looks like a Klingon weapon you could pick up at the narrowest point and smash someone with.

I completely agree with your sentiments that it is the right time for a gunship. The last UCS releases in the last few years have been starfighters and large, grey ships and vehicles (a trend that will obviously continue with the AT-AT), while the gunship is something very different. I wouldn't really want one, but it would be an impressive sight. As you have said it has such complex angles and colour schemes, that it will look very impressive when constructed, more so at a UCS scale. I think such shapes and detail can be achieved just as well at system scale, but the idea of a UCS set is to capture such detail and characteristics of ships, which the gunship has a lot of, and I am coming to the view it will probably be a great build. Having new P1 clone pilots or maybe one regular trooper would be great, but it is a UCS set, its about the vehicle and that should be the standout itself.

I do have to disagree about the nebulon-B though, it is a brilliantly designed ship and appears as much more than a stage backdrop, and I do look forward to the day we get one.

Despite that, I think the gunship is more deserving of a UCS set sooner, though it appears in th movies less, it was more prominent in the ones it was in, and I won't begin to deny thefurther exposure that CW has given it..

Edited by Stuartn

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yes. Watch the official reveal of the helmets have the third one blurred out, and upon it's release in stores the box is just blank.

It'll be like those Kenner 'Early Bird Certificate' sets from the 70s. Except this time, rather than lack of stock, the certificate will just say "We haven't decided what this helmet is yet" :laugh:

Also, the more I think about this Slave I set the weirder I find it. I mean, we're getting Fennec, who, without her connection to Boba Fett would just be a random one off character. We're getting Bo who's armour is pretty much the same across the various TV shows. Another Cara. The updated Mando we just recieved. 

With all those characters coming in season 2 appropriate attire in one wave,, the lack of painted-Boba really stands out. I really hope that's a mistake. 

47 minutes ago, SEmrys said:

With all those characters coming in season 2 appropriate attire in one wave,, the lack of painted-Boba really stands out. I really hope that's a mistake. 

Couldn‘t agree more. Releasing the Slave I with OT figures is a mind-bogglingly dumb decision in more than one way.

First, we just got an OT version two years ago, which has to be a new record. Three years is ok, but two is way too soon in my opinion. The Resistance X-Wings don’t count BTW, they had different colour schemes :tongue: 

Second, spoilers are of no concern for this wave since Fennec being alive is just as much of a spoiler as Boba’s return, as is the existence of the Dark Troopers, and look who’s included in the Arquitens set. This set would simply fly off the shelves if it included Mando Boba :facepalm: 

Third, by releasing an OT version now, they deprived themselves of something they could‘ve saved for the Book of Boba Fett (in case they will make sets based on that, which I think they will). This is not a Solo MF situation, the ship isn’t different enough to justify yet another version when even this one can hardly be justified

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Couldn‘t agree more. Releasing the Slave I with OT figures is a mind-bogglingly dumb decision in more than one way.

First, we just got an OT version two years ago, which has to be a new record. Three years is ok, but two is way too soon in my opinion. The Resistance X-Wings don’t count BTW, they had different colour schemes :tongue: 

Second, spoilers are of no concern for this wave since Fennec being alive is just as much of a spoiler as Boba’s return, as is the existence of the Dark Troopers, and look who’s included in the Arquitens set. This set would simply fly off the shelves if it included Mando Boba :facepalm: 

Third, by releasing an OT version now, they deprived themselves of something they could‘ve saved for the Book of Boba Fett (in case they will make sets based on that, which I think they will). This is not a Solo MF situation, the ship isn’t different enough to justify yet another version when even this one can hardly be justified

I agree about Slave I, a new version for TBOBF would have been far more appropriate than another OT release, and in the new undersized scale at that (which I’m not at all a fan of). However, TBOBF is probably exactly why there’s no Mando Boba figure in this wave. It’s a figure they probably want to save for a TBOBF set. Although the same could have been said for Fennec as well. Also, keep in mind there are probably one or two unknown exclusives. I still really want Cobb Vanth as well. The Tatooine set would have been so perfect but I understand why he wasn’t in it

The Slave One should have just been from the Mando. Could have even been Boba Fett and Mayfeld. 

75317 or 75318 do we expect this to be an exclusive similar to the ITS Transport? 

Then 75319 is the other exclusive at $30 alongside the Gauntlet Fighter.

I just had a thought about the Slave I - regardless of what era it's from, now that we've seen what the interior looks like from Mando, would we expect LEGO to attempt to replicate that in this set?

14 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I just had a thought about the Slave I - regardless of what era it's from, now that we've seen what the interior looks like from Mando, would we expect LEGO to attempt to replicate that in this set?

We didn't even get a normal interior in the previous version of the Slave I on 20th anniversity, and given that this year's new version is rumored to be in a terrible reduced size, like the TIE Fighter or X-Wing, all that remains is to hope for at least normal interior's presence.

12 hours ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

Lego cracked down on leaks over the past few years. Typically you can expect pictures not more than 3 months after a list leaks but really it depends on whose generous enough to leak pictures they took

6 hours ago, SEmrys said:

It'll be like those Kenner 'Early Bird Certificate' sets from the 70s. Except this time, rather than lack of stock, the certificate will just say "We haven't decided what this helmet is yet" :laugh:

Also, the more I think about this Slave I set the weirder I find it. I mean, we're getting Fennec, who, without her connection to Boba Fett would just be a random one off character. We're getting Bo who's armour is pretty much the same across the various TV shows. Another Cara. The updated Mando we just recieved. 

I guess there's still some exclusive sets he could be in, but I agree, it really does stand out.

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It's less than half the cost of the previous one, I don't think we'll get anything more than room for boba in the cockpit.

From a business perspective, it's easy to see why TLG didn't put Mando Boba in this wave:

• Reality: TLG didn't release Beskar Mando in the Razor Crest. Everybody complains about the RC, buys it, celebrates Trouble on Tatooine, buys it.
  • Alternate Reality: TLG releases Beskar Mando in the Razor Crest, fans rejoice, then mildly praise the ToT price point (e.g. Ahsoka vs. Maul) but it sells way fewer copies.

Secondly, it benefits TLG to ride the biggest hype wave, not the first one. I know there are a lot of Boba fans that probably don't understand but, for some people, they've never understood Fett's hype and his appearance in Mando was the first time they've been tantalized by the character. Book of Boba can raise it from interested to excited, and get sales for the Slave I and a clean-look-Boba-set. As another example:

• Alternate Reality: A Bad Batch Shuttle releases with Clone Wars.  The BB come off as flat characters w/ a small contained narrative. It nears retirement shortly after the show comes out. The set's potential is never reached. (The Ghost from Rebels?)
  • Reality: The Bad Batch Shuttle comes out with the show. With at least 1.33 seasons of narrative to play along with, odds are strong that the characters are way more intriguing by the time the set starts to disappear from shelves. Sales are maximized.
Edited by Pedilego

23 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

From a business perspective, it's easy to see why TLG didn't put Mando Boba in this wave:

• Reality: TLG didn't release Beskar Mando in the Razor Crest. Everybody complains about the RC, buys it, celebrates Trouble on Tatooine, buys it.
  • Alternate Reality: TLG releases Beskar Mando in the Razor Crest, fans rejoice, then mildly praise the ToT price point (e.g. Ahsoka vs. Maul) but it sells way fewer copies.

Secondly, it benefits TLG to ride the biggest hype wave, not the first one. I know there are a lot of Boba fans that probably don't understand but, for some people, they've never understood Fett's hype and his appearance in Mando was the first time they've been tantalized by the character. Book of Boba can raise it from interested to excited, and get sales for the Slave I and a clean-look-Boba-set. As another example:

• Alternate Reality: A Bad Batch Shuttle releases with Clone Wars.  The BB come off as flat characters w/ a small contained narrative. It nears retirement shortly after the show comes out. The set's potential is never reached. (The Ghost from Rebels?)
  • Reality: The Bad Batch Shuttle comes out with the show. With at least 1.33 seasons of narrative to play along with, odds are strong that the characters are way more intriguing by the time the set starts to disappear from shelves. Sales are maximized.

This totally makes sense—the question is, why wouldn’t the wait and release Slave One when the Book of Boba Fett comes out?

6 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

These are pretty much my exact sentiments that I shared a few pages back. I really do hope the minifig selection for that set is wrong because if not, LEGO really messed up their chances of producing a perfect set that would cover 2 shows and would be sold at the perfect time for maximum hype. Selling an affordable Slave I with Boba's new look and Fennic in the fall while people are getting hyped for BoBF and Mando season 3 would cause the set to fly off the shelves. With OT figures it won't sell nearly as well 2 years after the 20th anniversary Slave I where it might still be on shelves in some places. Like I said, I've recently seen the set still at my local Walmart and Target. Imagine if they try and sell us a new Slave I next year for BoBF, imagine how well that will go over and it's pretty safe to say not selling a Slave I for BoBF would likely be a glaring omission as I fully expect the ship to be prominently featured.

Edited by ToaDraco

2 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

These are pretty much my exact sentiments that I shared a few pages back. I really do hope the minifig selection for that set is wrong because if not, LEGO really messed up their chances of producing a perfect set that would cover 2 shows and would be sold at the perfect time for maximum hype. Selling an affordable Slave I with Boba's new look and Fennic in the fall while people are getting hyped for BoBF and Mando season 3 would cause the set to fly off the shelves. With OT figures it won't sell nearly as well 2 years after the 20th anniversary Slave I where it might still be on shelves in some places. Like I said, I've recently seen the set still at my local Walmart and Target. Imagine if they try and sell us a new Slave I next year for BoBF, imagine how well that will go over.

This wouldn’t be the first time Lego messes up their characters nor take dumb decisions when it comes to characters selection. Anyhow, let’s hope these figures are just placeholders, although I highly doubt so.

LEGO learned their lesson from the first Rebels wave about releasing sets before the show airs. The people that care enough to be following a Star Wars forum will be hyped for tBoBF and looking to buy merch before it airs, but nobody else is, and the sets wouldn’t sell any more than the Rebels ones sold. The right time for large BoBF sets will be during or shortly after the first season, like they did with the Razor Crest. The Ghost reportedly sold terribly when it was available, even though it’s expensive secondhand now, whereas the Razor Crest is a whole thing even outside of usual LEGO media. That’s a very clear message to TLG. 

2 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Secondly, it benefits TLG to ride the biggest hype wave, not the first one. I know there are a lot of Boba fans that probably don't understand but, for some people, they've never understood Fett's hype and his appearance in Mando was the first time they've been tantalized by the character. Book of Boba can raise it from interested to excited, and get sales for the Slave I and a clean-look-Boba-set. 

-

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

That’s a very clear message to TLG. 

Solid points, both.

I just think with a set like this it would be possible to ride both waves. 

Slave I stands out because its not like the Ghost or the Bad Batch shuttle. People already know what it is, and recognise Boba's new look. 

You release the set this year, you get the Mando fans buying it now, then the additional Boba fans around Christmas time buying it then. Either for themselves after enjoying the show, or as Christmas presents. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until whenever the next wave, and those aforementioned potential Boba sets hit. 

As such, I do also agree the new figure in those BoBF sets is also a strong argument for holding it back - if there are any at all ((bear in mind, Mando got sets, but WandaVision just started and thus far the Marvel fans have nothing, currently making it the exception, not the rule) although I do believe there will be sets).

It also then it becomes a question of how successful this OT-era Slave I's sales will be? Especially when, as many point out, there is currently a Slave I on some shelves right now. 

Of course, marketing isn't my field of expertise so I concede they probably (hopefully?) know what they're doing. 

38 minutes ago, SEmrys said:

It also then it becomes a question of how successful this OT-era Slave I's sales will be? Especially when, as many point out, there is currently a Slave I on some shelves right now. 

As someone who's been hunting that slave one set, it's out of stock almost everywhere and currently sells for $160-200 on bricklink and ebay.

52 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

As someone who's been hunting that slave one set, it's out of stock almost everywhere and currently sells for $160-200 on bricklink and ebay.

Oh yeah, my experience has been the same. But a few people have mentioned seeing it over the last few pages. 

Will that translate over to the newer model though? 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I bought the 20th Anniversary Slave I from S@H right before Christmas, so the stock issues must be very recent

I found a single Mando Tatooine set at Target today btw

5 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

LEGO learned their lesson from the first Rebels wave about releasing sets before the show airs. The people that care enough to be following a Star Wars forum will be hyped for tBoBF and looking to buy merch before it airs, but nobody else is, and the sets wouldn’t sell any more than the Rebels ones sold. The right time for large BoBF sets will be during or shortly after the first season, like they did with the Razor Crest. The Ghost reportedly sold terribly when it was available, even though it’s expensive secondhand now, whereas the Razor Crest is a whole thing even outside of usual LEGO media. That’s a very clear message to TLG. 

Except this is not even remotely the same case. First off, Boba Fett and Slave I are iconic from the OT and were just heavily featured in Mando season 2 and if they included Fennic she featured in both seasons of Mando in addition to the upcoming BoBF. These are hardly unknown, intested characters and designs. Rebels featured an entirely brand new cast with new ships that no one knew or cared about yet. Selling a Slave I that features an updated Boba Fett with Fennic Shand works as merchandise for both Mando season 2 AND tBoBF. 

Edited by ToaDraco

5 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Except this is not even remotely the same case. First off, Boba Fett and Slave I are iconic from the OT and were just heavily featured in Mando season 2 and if they included Fennic she featured in both seasons of Mando in addition to the upcoming BoBF. These are hardly unknown, intested characters and designs. Rebels featured an entirely brand new cast with new ships that no one knew or cared about yet. Selling a Slave I that features an updated Boba Fett with Fennic Shand works as merchandise for both Mando season 2 AND tBoBF. 

IMO Slave I wouldn't be coming out now if it weren't iconic on its own. It's not a product that's trying to ride a wave; the wave is just the icing on the cake.

TLG is re-releasing scaled down iconic ships (e.g. X-Wing, Tie, Imperial Shuttle) to target a different segment. Maybe think about it like this: TLG wouldn't release a UCS Falcon and include the Solo movie minifigures. Rather, they're trying to cast as wide a net as possible with UCS sets as well as this line of affordable, iconic ships.

The Mandalorian is about The Mandalorian. Boba & Fennic are secondary or tertiary characters. If a kid is trying to act out they show,

• most of Boba's action in The Mandalorian is in Ep 6 with his old armor. He's sidelined to air support in the episodes where he has his new armor.
  • Fennic is one of the last characters they'd need. She's superfluous, nice-to-have. Characters like that end up being used as bait for bigger sets. She'll be in smaller sets when she's a more important character on Boba's show.

It's supposed to be a budget-price OT centerpiece set. Those figures would make it an expensive complimentary Mandalorian set.

3 hours ago, SEmrys said:

I just think with a set like this it would be possible to ride both waves. 

Slave I stands out because its not like the Ghost or the Bad Batch shuttle. People already know what it is, and recognise Boba's new look. 

You release the set this year, you get the Mando fans buying it now, then the additional Boba fans around Christmas time buying it then. Either for themselves after enjoying the show, or as Christmas presents. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until whenever the next wave, and those aforementioned potential Boba sets hit. 

It makes sense for us to get the updated armor now, but it makes cents for Lego to give us the updated armor later. After all, TLG would rather consumers make two purchases than have two waves of consumers making 1 purchase.

BTW I really liked the theory posted a while back about a mifigure(s) missing, like with the X-Wing. That's the one thing that seems off to me and I think more than a few people would change tunes if we see Lando, Leia, or Ice Cream guy hahah.