MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

10 hours ago, wesker said:

The new TIE Fighter's cockpit looks like its been scaled down to only 6 studs wide which is what the original TIE Bomber's was.

Surely they should be able to come up with something at that scale for a reasonable price. There's no reason for it to be as big as what the TIE Striker's cockpit was.

I made a moc for one recently and I think I came up with around 1300 parts. The problem with the bomber is that it's got the double cockpit, and unlike most ties they are cylindrical like the striker. 

9 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I fail to see how that would be too small. If it fits a minifigure in the cockpit it’s the perfect scale, remember that TIEs are small ships in universe.

The way I see it, LEGO is doing themselves a disservice by not putting out models like the mini TIE and the Slave I from bespin as individual sets. For $20 you could get an iconic ship, an iconic character to pilot it and an extra minifig or two to go along with it. On paper it’s the perfect Christmas present for a young Star Wars fan.

I believe lego thinks the microfighters fill that niche...even if they're too small in reality. The problems stem from that most ships can't easily be made at that midi-scale if you want a figure to fit in a cockpit and be enclosed, unlike the microfighters where they just sort of sit on top.

Love, love, love the TIE, if the leak is real. Less so the shuttle but both look like good, "proper" builds. Scaled down rather than dumbed down. A bit chibi yes but I don't mind that at all. 

Ah well, I won't be buying them, but I know for sure that a ton of kids will, and will love them. I am magnanomously delighted.

Now, TIE Bomber Lego. Just like that. If you please.

While at first glance the new TIE Fighter looked like a caricature to me (probably due to the size of the cockpit), I believe the size is actually quite correct. The real thing is supposed to be 7.5 m high (about 4 persons) and this model should be about the equivalent of 4 minifigs in height. I'm starting liking it!

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

Love, love, love the TIE, if the leak is real. Less so the shuttle but both look like good, "proper" builds. Scaled down rather than dumbed down. A bit chibi yes but I don't mind that at all. 

Ah well, I won't be buying them, but I know for sure that a ton of kids will, and will love them. I am magnanomously delighted.

Now, TIE Bomber Lego. Just like that. If you please.

According to Childish Landino(?) the TIE is real, the Shuttle is fake.

2 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Yeah, should have read back through the pages before instead of after blabbing. Shuttle looks convincing enough that I was fooled. 

So, eagerly awaiting what may come from spring sets of this style. Let's assume they are more of the regular big hitters. Naboo Starfighter? Snowspeeder (new canopy Lego please). Y wing? 

I think MOCers might be in for a bit of a treat here, as the 4+ sets, for all their shortcomings, included some VERY nice printed pieces that would otherwise have been stickers in system sets (or nonexistent - printed x wing nose anyone?). Might we get new cockpit molds, new printed parts, to accomodate slightly smaller models? The mind boggles.

A Falcon cone cockpit, 6 studs in diameter, narrowing to 5 at the front, by 5 bricks high. Now then I'd be happy.

11 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

That logic doesn't make any sense. Just because you fit in a cardboard box doesnt make it "perfect scale". TIEs are not as small as you think they are.

It’s a toy, it doesn’t need to be in scale. TIE sets have been too big for years, what do you have against making them too small? Wouldn’t you rather affordable products?

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I believe lego thinks the microfighters fill that niche...even if they're too small in reality. The problems stem from that most ships can't easily be made at that midi-scale if you want a figure to fit in a cockpit and be enclosed, unlike the microfighters where they just sort of sit on top.

How are models at that scale a niche? They’re faithful models of the ships with correct proportions and they’re minifigure scale, they just happen to be smaller than the source material rather than bigger like the oversized sets we’ve been getting for years. The designers at LEGO should easily be able to come up with solutions for most ships.

Edit: terrible photos, worse design, but here’s an x-wing I made at this scale a few years ago. Very rough around the edges but if I could do this myself then one of lego’s designers could definitely produce a much cleaner version. 

1 2 3

Edited by Brikkyy13

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

How are models at that scale a niche? They’re faithful models of the ships with correct proportions and they’re minifigure scale, they just happen to be smaller than the source material rather than bigger like the oversized sets we’ve been getting for years. The designers at LEGO should easily be able to come up with solutions for most ships.

At the specific scale you mentioned, the midi-type scale of the vader's castle tie and bespin MBS's slave one, yes, it is a niche. I think the scale of the new TIE is pretty good, but the scale you're talking about is too small. Just because it can fit a minifigure in it doesn't make it minifigure scale. A slave one that small is fine in a bespin set, but if released on it's own it's definitely a niche.

17 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Just because it can fit a minifigure in it doesn't make it minifigure scale. A slave one that small is fine in a bespin set, but if released on it's own it's definitely a niche.

As I’ve already said, LEGO has been releasing oversized models as minifigure scale (well, system scale) sets for years. If there’s nothing stopping them from making models that are too large why not models that are smaller? Now that they’re going down the downsizing path I think they should go the whole nine yards and give us the smallest possible models while still being accurate and playable. They’ve already proven that they can make the models so why won’t they do it? The largest complaint of LEGO Star Wars as a whole is by far how high the prices are, I think it would be an amazing breath of fresh air to get something like that TIE Advanced on the shelf by itself. The model from Vader’s castle is about 160 parts, throw in Vader and a Stormtrooper and you’ve got the perfect $20 set.

If I remember correctly, when bespin was revealed a lot of commenters were falling for the Slave I to be it’s own set (small chance that’s just confirmation bias because I know I definitely was). The original Slave I set is more or less in the same scale I’m talking about, and I don’t think you could say it wasn’t bigger because of design limitations at the time.

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

As I’ve already said, LEGO has been releasing oversized models as minifigure scale (well, system scale) sets for years. If there’s nothing stopping them from making models that are too large why not models that are smaller? Now that they’re going down the downsizing path I think they should go the whole nine yards and give us the smallest possible models while still being accurate and playable. They’ve already proven that they can make the models so why won’t they do it? The largest complaint of LEGO Star Wars as a whole is by far how high the prices are, I think it would be an amazing breath of fresh air to get something like that TIE Advanced on the shelf by itself. The model from Vader’s castle is about 160 parts, throw in Vader and a Stormtrooper and you’ve got the perfect $20 set.

If I remember correctly, when bespin was revealed a lot of commenters were falling for the Slave I to be it’s own set (small chance that’s just confirmation bias because I know I definitely was). The original Slave I set is more or less in the same scale I’m talking about, and I don’t think you could say it wasn’t bigger because of design limitations at the time.

I think it sort of depends on whether or not a minifigure scale model is truly feasible without a UCS price point.  Obviously it's tough to make a truly "in scale" model because minifigure proportions aren't really easily equated to human scale, just due to the way that they're designed.  In the case of the Slave I, they can't really do it at minifigure scale unless it's a $250 UCS set, and it's also a massive ship, so I think, as odd as it sounds, it almost is easier to look past it being too small in the other models we get of it - as long as they appear much larger than a minifigure.  

Conversely, with an X-Wing, they can do that in scale with minifigures, and pretty much all of the models that we've ever gotten of it (not counting microfighters and such) have been fairly close to what I would call "minifigure scale" in that, if the minifigure and model were sized up to about human size, it would be fairly close to how large an X-Wing actually looks in the movie.  With a smaller ship, I think it's a bit more apparent when the sizing is off.  You have a general idea of how much taller than a figure it should be, how a figure should look climbing into it, etc. 

I totally agree, with TIEs, the sizing was getting absurd, but stuff like Vader's TIE in the Death Star was just not big enough at all.  Yes, it fit a figure, but proportionally to a figure, it wasn't big enough in terms of accuracy.  It's a cool model, and same with Boba's Slave I, but like I was saying, I think it's almost easier to overlook a drastically undersized ship when the actual source material is bigger.  I hope I explained that moderately well, I know it sounds like a dumb argument but that's really what I feel about it.

11 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

At the specific scale you mentioned, the midi-type scale of the vader's castle tie and bespin MBS's slave one, yes, it is a niche. I think the scale of the new TIE is pretty good, but the scale you're talking about is too small. Just because it can fit a minifigure in it doesn't make it minifigure scale. A slave one that small is fine in a bespin set, but if released on it's own it's definitely a niche.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here, in that Mandalorianknight seems to niche as in like an ecologiacl niche, as in a particluar space (In lego's product line) where it could work well, where as Brikkyy13 seems to mean niche as in obscure, like where the lego designers implied that the Tie bomber was too niche for a large lego set.

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here, in that Mandalorianknight seems to niche as in like an ecologiacl niche, as in a particluar space (In lego's product line) where it could work well, where as Brikkyy13 seems to mean niche as in obscure, like where the lego designers implied that the Tie bomber was too niche for a large lego set.

Thanks for putting that more eloquently.

23 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Should be. The shuttle looks like a 2000 design...

Well, as an adult and collector I'm currently hoping for a passable set to The Mandalorian. If you start to shrink at this point, it definitely doesn't fit to my sets of the past years. That would be a pity, but then it does and there is no LEGO Star Wars set for me in 2021. 

On the other hand I understand that the sets shrink and become cheaper. The target group of LEGO is still children. And these children, or their parents, must be able to afford the sets. And of course they should be swooshable, which should definitely be a given with the TIE Fighter. However, the TIE is nowhere near the original. The dimensions do not fit the Lucasfilm models anymore.

I am happy for the kids. As an adult collector, the only thing that remains for me and my preferred model sizes is to hope for the set to The Mandalorian.

So there are some supposed silhouettes of the new X-wing, TIE and Lambda doing the rounds on Instagram. Not loads of detail obviously but they look decent, salt being firmly pinched of course.

The X-wing looks closer to the 2012 version with a noticeably different nose which is nice. Difficult to tell much on the Lambda but it looks a bit like a halfway house between 2015 and 2001 models.

Hmmm. There's a TIE on instagram that purports to be the real thing and looks rather like the fuzzy image I've seen earlier but it looks very LDD. It actually looks rather nice but has some awkward techniques I can't see an official set getting away with.

I am curious. What can they do differently about an X Wing nose without giving us new molds?

35 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Hmmm. There's a TIE on instagram that purports to be the real thing and looks rather like the fuzzy image I've seen earlier but it looks very LDD. It actually looks rather nice but has some awkward techniques I can't see an official set getting away with.

I am curious. What can they do differently about an X Wing nose without giving us new molds?

The creator stated that it's a LDD recreation of the actual set to give a better idea of the design. I guess they've seen a higher quality image of it?

3 hours ago, Redroe said:

The guy who made the render said it's just what he thinks it'll look like based on that fuzzy image you mentioned.

I hope it's not going to look exactly like that, if they use that ball joint connection but leave the dark bluish gray ball joints in that color i'll be pretty upset.

There is new Midi Scale Nebulon set,i suggest watching latest MandRproductions video. I personaly dont care about original triogy sets so wont comment on it.

It looks to include a new 6*2 wedge plate that could possibly be useful in the nose of the new X-wing.

Edit: Actually just a 3*12 wedge.

Edited by Paul11283652
No new piece.

It's definitely a cool display but asside from the nameplate, doesn't offer anything exclusive like the Marvel set. 2 exclusive figures and a bunch of exclusive prints....

Edited by ToaDraco

The Nebulon B looks excellent! A pity it is a SDCC exclusive, it would have been a day 1 purchase for me. Still, due to the high interest in latest UCS poll and the current release in limited edition in nano scale, it might be there is a chance for a larger micro scale UCS version in the future.

35 minutes ago, storskogen said:

The Nebulon B looks excellent! A pity it is a SDCC exclusive, it would have been a day 1 purchase for me. Still, due to the high interest in latest UCS poll and the current release in limited edition in nano scale, it might be there is a chance for a larger micro scale UCS version in the future.

Would have been day one for me as well

Oh boy, another region-locked SDCC exclusive. :hmpf_bad:

Ah well. At least it looks like it'll be easy to replicate from my collection, and it's nice to see the ship finally represented in the LEGO lineup.

I love the tiny Falcon though. Is that the smallest version of that ship we've ever had from LEGO?

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

The Nebulon B would have been cooler with a figure line-up like in the movies. 
But in that case i would flip because I couldn’t buy it :-)