MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I have to believe that regardless of the poll result, they'll release Ahsoka as a Brickhead. She's the most well loved Star Wars character outside of the main movie leads and Baby Yoda. Also 

Spoiler

the newest Mando episode points to it being a backdoor pilot for much more Ahsoka content coming including the rumoured Ahsoka spin off and rebels sequel.

and maybe the poll will also be used as a way to gauge interest for other sets.

Edited by GalacticHippo

Videos are starting to pop up for the new sets. The X-Wing turned out pretty good overall but but the landing gear seems pretty flimsy and doesn't actually retract despite what S@H's description says. I do like how smoothly the wing mechanism operates on the new model.

@PreVizsla if he’s going to use his platform and reach to pull shit like this time and time again then he opens himself up to criticism. Maybe the criticism from myself and others would stop if he made content that showed he was a mature and respectable role model. If he takes issue with these comments he can do something about it, but clearly he is mature enough to realise that critics are something that comes with his job. Unless he comes after us critics, we’re not going to know if we’ll play victim or not. If he wants to have reasonable discussion this forum is open to everyone and my DMs are open. If he wants to stand by and let his followers try to defend him then so be it. But I’m sure him and his gunship gang have better things to do than feed the trolls.

If I wanted a brickheadz of myself I would’ve voted for Jabba the Hutt. I voted for Jaws because sharks are winners, and they don’t look back because they have no necks.

What I don't get is why they would use some budget to change the print for the X-Wing pilot jumpsuit, a change many won't even notice and I don't think anybody has been asking for, when they could have used that print budget for another figure and made the wave even a little more exciting. It didn't have to be a figure requiring a new mould, but they could have done a different variant of Han in the microfighter even. That would have got me buying that set when now I won't. :sceptic:

The Shuttle looks great! I had the 2015 iteration years ago, and would have definitely bought this if the corresponding minifigures had any sort of draw to them. Endor Han, Leia, and Luke along with maybe a Scout Trooper would have been fantastic!

But nope, 3 minifigures, 2 of which are repeats from this year’s DSII set. Although this wave has a few good things going for it; cheaper and simpler sets that retain the playability and display value of their predecessors, Beskar Mando (wish he had a face though), and...General Dodonna, it feels like a big “meh” to me as someone who has been collecting for a couple of years now. I do hope the negative elements of this wave aren’t setting a precedent for what we’ll be getting in both the summer and the years to come.

Edited by T21Typhoon

The Shuttle itself is fine but it’s a shame about the minifigures. I can’t believe how badly they’ve butchered Luke. Though it could very well be preliminary as others have said so we’ll wait and see. From the looks of things you can only fit about 1(?) figure in the cockpit so I wonder if there’s any interior space in the body.

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I just wanted to say, for anyone debating this set, it's absolutely stunning in person.  The building looks great, the build experience is much better than you would think (it's not just stacking tan 1x8s on top of each other 500 times like you might think by looking at it), the figures are incredible, and the interior is pretty amazing.  My only real complaints with the set are minor (no hair piece for Obi-Wan, Greedo doesn't have printed hips, I don't really like the new Stormtrooper helmet mold) but those absolutely don't detract from how great of a display and/or playset this thing is.  They definitely knocked it out of the park on that one, and I think this is the set best suited to the MBS format so far in terms of being able to capture a fully complete scene (I really like Cloud City but obviously it's more of a collection of scenes since doing a full scale Cloud City would be more or less impossible for obvious reasons).

I’m glad you’ve posted that cause I was sort of on the fence about getting it myself for Christmas. It was a choice between the Cantina and Diagon Alley. But I think the figure selection in the Cantina just wins it for me. 

As far as I recall no preliminary images have ever made their way into finalized instructions so I wouldn't expect the figure selection and it's inaccuracies to be any different from what the set will contain. 

Just2Good's reviews X wing is up. Tbh I'm more disappointed after watching it. The wing mechanism seems really loose, as soon as you pick it up the wings start flopping in flight mode. I have the 2018 one which also does that but nowhere near as much, and the rubber bands hold the wings together. The mechanism seems clever but complex and it takes away space for any greebling on the back. I like the skis as landing gear but wish the front one folded up.

As someone who has the 2018 one it's obviously not for me, and I'm really happy they are making lower priced ones. I have some skis from old city advent calendars I might try and mod mine. Also the canons are leagues better than the 2018 one.

I really do like the Tie Fighter though it looks great! If you don't compare the dimensions it looks fine and reasonably well detailed

Also just realised that the printing on the Imperial Shuttle Pilot is slightly different. There are less creases. Again, totally unnecessary waste of new print budget in my opinion. :sadnew:

12 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

UCS Star Destroyer.

The two figures that came with the ISD were great. Considering it’s a UCS and typically only tomorrow so figures are included these days, the selection was very nice. Would you have preferred another generic Vader instead?

The shuttle proportions still look a bit off to me, I'm glad I've got the 2015 one. The figures though... the lack of arm printing when Mando has such beautiful arms seems a bit backward, and I have to assume they ran out of toner or something in the printer as that as a ridiculously basic error to make. At least the shuttle pilot looks good. :hmpf_bad: That said it doesn't really affect my feelings on the wave overall as I almost certainly wasn't going to get it anyway.

I didn't watch all of that SolidBrix stream but I'm inclined to agree with his thoughts that Covid has affected this wave and its release. I don't think this year's sets will have been too badly affected by it, but the lockdown could have had quite a big effect on the product development process for the 2021 range, both in terms of manufacture and the release date. Heck, that might even be the reason this wave is smaller than others. Does anyone know of any interviews where LEGO designers have been asked about this?

9 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I didn't watch all of that SolidBrix stream but I'm inclined to agree with his thoughts that Covid has affected this wave and its release. I don't think this year's sets will have been too badly affected by it, but the lockdown could have had quite a big effect on the product development process for the 2021 range, both in terms of manufacture and the release date. Heck, that might even be the reason this wave is smaller than others. Does anyone know of any interviews where LEGO designers have been asked about this?

Haven't seen any interviews with the designers, but the staff at my local Lego store mentioned there has been a worldwide shortage which has lead to sets taking much longer to restock than usual.

Shuttle looks good. I can't tell without digging out my copy of Tydirium how similarly sized it is, but in some small areas it looks rather smoother and sleeker.

Minifig selection is rather slim though. The three that are there make perfect sense for the ship, but I'd have liked to see at least one stormtrooper. A single stormy and an Imp Officer would have made it good but not amazing.

Interesting points people are making about the minor torso print updates. Would we have complained if the figs hadn't been new in any way? Probably. It seems like TLG know full well that hardcore minifig collectors will go out of their way to get every infinitesimally small difference so they tweak it a bit each time, at the price of annoying the rest of us who like uniformity between our shuttle pilots, thank you very much.

That said if they can finally fix the orange problem on the rebel pilot I'll take it all back.

The back page really highlights how small the wave is. Again not a problem for me personally, less for me to spend money on and it does look like quality over quantity (these are good quality sets by the look of them, no doubt about that), the howler being the 4+ X wing. What an abomination.

I'm gonna put Luke's lightsabre down to a funny colour option on the scanner.

11 minutes ago, wesker said:

Haven't seen any interviews with the designers, but the staff at my local Lego store mentioned there has been a worldwide shortage which has lead to sets taking much longer to restock than usual.

I've also heard the same. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume the supply chain issues extend to the product development process as well, albeit different problems to overcome.

9 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Shuttle looks good. I can't tell without digging out my copy of Tydirium how similarly sized it is, but in some small areas it looks rather smoother and sleeker.

It looks a bit smaller but not hugely, the main fin looks to be two bricks shorter on the new one with a similarly sized cockpit.

I would assume Poe's 4+ X-wing comes with some sort of scenery but I'm not sure what it could be. That would have been a great place to get Lor San Tekka and a version of his hut, or another flametrooper.

2 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I would assume Poe's 4+ X-wing comes with some sort of scenery but I'm not sure what it could be. That would have been a great place to get Lor San Tekka and a version of his hut, or another flametrooper.

I'd have assumed so especially as all the 4+ sets include some kind of side build, but it would normally still be shown in the brochures.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:37 AM, ood0 said:

I'm definitely buying the Trouble on Tatooine (75299) set. The new Mando minifig is absolutely gorgeous!

The Imperial TIE Fighter (75300) set looks nice, as I don't have a Tie Fighter in my collection I'll be buying two of those sets too. The Storm Troopers will be welcome additions to my collection & the droids look cool.

Reveal hidden contents

With Cara, I just don't think the delivery of a lot of her lines is very convincing, it sounds like she's a first year drama student reading the script for the first time. I cringed through the entire scene where she was talking to the fire ferret. Also, while I like the integration of wrestling stuff into her fight scenes, they go so overboard with it that it's just silly. When she hoisted that alien criminal up onto her back, used him as a human(oid) shield and then flipped him over a table I was laughing uncontrollably at how ridiculous that entire scenario was.

On an unrelated note I'm kinda bummed that the Armorer didn't show up in the episode. She's a great character we still have so much to find out about, and I'd take any excuse to get her as a minifigure. Hope she appears again before the season is over.

Just now, Sarah_H7744 said:

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a reply.

3 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Just2Good's reviews X wing is up. Tbh I'm more disappointed after watching it.

I didn’t really like that review and how the set was presented. I believe the set in hands looks better than in that video. I look forward to watch Jang’s review of the set. Just a pity we need to wait much longer since he buys sets by himself. Still, his reviews are the ones I trust, and enjoy the most.

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

The shuttle proportions still look a bit off to me, I'm glad I've got the 2015 one.

I also think the 2015 was a better build and better looking. While I appreciate the smaller scale of the new fighters (and hopefully future vehicles),I don’t think shuttles or other medium-sized ships (e.g. Slave 1, Razor Crest, etc) need to be smaller than they already were. I also expect the interiors (if there are any) are much smaller than the previous model, where you could fit easily 5/6 minifigs. I’m glad I bought a cheap 2015 version and populated with imperial minifigs. 

As of the Imperial Shuttle, I'm not bothered by the wrong color of Luke's lightsaber. However, the price of $79.99 seems steep to me...

32 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

As of the Imperial Shuttle, I'm not bothered by the wrong color of Luke's lightsaber. However, the price of $79.99 seems steep to me...

Was Tydirium not £80 in 2015? ?

12 minutes ago, Redroe said:

That 2015 version was 100$. This one is 20$ cheaper and has way less value. I mean no printed arms on Vader is a big step down for LEGO. And blue lightsaber for Luke, what were they thinking? I hope it’s just discoloration in instructions. And both Luke with green lightsaber and Vader with arm prints are happening.

24 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Yes it was £80. I remember using a bunch of £5 Argos vouchers and it still costing me £55.

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

Yes it was £80. I remember using a bunch of £5 Argos vouchers and it still costing me £55.

I got the ship sans figures on ebay for £45 and thought it worth every penny. 

Just done some homework, 80 gbp for 936 pieces. The new one starts to look like less of a deal. I can't find a piece count but I guess its 650-700? And two fewer figures. It looks like a £65 set to me. Compare to the X wing. Cheaper and better looking than the 2012 one (still my favourite) with same no. of figures.

I will certainly get an X Wing because I want Dodonna, I want to show support for Lego's new approach and I want to stop my nephews molesting my MOC collection. I may get a TIE because I like the model and it looks a great deal. But I will skip the shuttle.

2020's problem: "I can't afford the new X wing!"

2021's problem: "I can afford 2 of the new X wing!"

15 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I will certainly get an X Wing because I want Dodonna, I want to show support for Lego's new approach and I want to stop my nephews molesting my MOC collection.

Isn't that last bit just a matter of saying no? :shrug_oh_well:

29 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

I mean no printed arms on Vader is a big step down for LEGO.

I can count on one hand the number of Star Wars system set figs that have had printed arms. Would it have been nice if LEGO included the Vader with arm printing? Sure. But don't act like this is huge deviation from the norm... Beskar Mando and Vader are the exception, not the rule.

53 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Isn't that last bit just a matter of saying no? :shrug_oh_well:

I wish. 

One nephew is 8 and he's just got to the point of liking everything just so, all the figures with the right hats in the right ships. The other one is 3. You can imagine.