MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

34 minutes ago, LDigital said:

The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

the more I think about this the more mad it is making me

That's insane. I didn't even realise that. I'm even madder now.

How to afford this kind of set?

The older I get, the less I see the value in owning a hundred middling moderately priced sets that don’t even look that good. So I basically buy a truly astounding, show-stopping set like this one every couple of years and it works out the same.

As the cliche goes, you can have anything (or almost), but you can’t have everything.

Am I drunk, but that Luke does not look exclusive as stated in the Solid Bricks review.  It looks like SW1139 to me.

1 hour ago, LDigital said:

The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

the more I think about this the more mad it is making me

It's not as simple as exchanging dollars for euros or pounds. Different countries have their own import duties, tariffs, etc... and I would not be at all surprised if licensing fees vary from country to country as well. You even see this in different € prices across the EU nations, and those are all theoretically on a fairly level playing field. The UK opted out of the EU, so it's not at all surprising that your pricing is going to suffer when it comes to goods made by EU members, in EU factories.

1 hour ago, LDigital said:

I feel exactly the same. This was a day 1 purchase for me but seeing the RRP compared to other markets strikes me as plain profiteering. No other set has had this kind of imaginary mark up that I know of. The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

The opposite thing happened with the Falcon, which is €849 in NL from it's launch till now, which is a lot more then 650 pound even in 2017. (it was even €899 in Finland for some reason). 

The worst case of weird price differences I've seen was Star Wars 75203 set going for €50 here.  ($30 dollar , 35 pound)

Edited by TeriXeri

24 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It's not as simple as exchanging dollars for euros or pounds. Different countries have their own import duties, tariffs, etc... and I would not be at all surprised if licensing fees vary from country to country as well. You even see this in different € prices across the EU nations, and those are all theoretically on a fairly level playing field. The UK opted out of the EU, so it's not at all surprising that your pricing is going to suffer when it comes to goods made by EU members, in EU factories.

Ok let’s look at it another way. Titanic 9000 pieces is £180 less

millenium falcon ucs is £100 less with 800 more pieces. 

so what is the extra £100 for?

This is The Lego group getting in on that scalping action as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, LDigital said:

Fair, but price per piece (PPP) is not the whole story. Not all pieces are the same, so it's a flawed metric to measure cost. An okay approximation but an approximation only. Don't need to start up this debate again...

54 minutes ago, azanderk said:

Estoy borracho, pero Luke no parece exclusivo como se indica en la revisión de Solid Bricks. Me parece SW1139.

I must be drunk too ...

7 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Fair, but price per piece (PPP) is not the whole story. Not all pieces are the same, so it's a flawed metric to measure cost. An okay approximation but an approximation only. Don't need to start up this debate again...

I am all for premium sets but defending a pretty blatant price hike  like this within weeks of the titanic launching at £569 seems off to me

This is why we are inching closer to the first £1000 R.R.P Lego set.

you can compare, Weight, size, piece count, density, packaging size Or anything else to titanic and I can’t see any justification of this increased price.

It is either an obscene Star Wars tax or a built scalp.

I get that Lego is a business but this feels like they are pushing it just a little too far.

10 minutes ago, LDigital said:

I think some of you guys have become way too cynical when it comes to LEGO's motives. It's much more likely this is due to tariffs and licensing than to some kind of nefarious plot on LEGO's part to bilk UK buyers (and only UK buyers) out of £100. 

LEGO goes out of its way to avoid raising prices on already-shipping sets. They have done it a few times, but they're few and far between. So I would guess that the Falcon, were it released today, would likely see the same price inflation in the UK that you are seeing with the AT-AT, and LEGO has resisted raising its UK prices because that's their policy... or perhaps as a product that predates Brexit, it qualifies for lower import duties... or perhaps LEGO front-loaded a ton of stock in the UK before Brexit to avoid paying higher tariffs down the line.

As for the Titanic, it could be that it qualifies for more favorable tariffs and import duties because it's under a certain price threshold (e.g., the AT-AT is over £XX so it counts as a luxury item with higher tariffs, whereas the Titanic is under £XX so it doesn't), or even because it's based on a UK brand... or maybe the import rules are changing in two weeks and the Titanic just squeaked in before them.... or maybe it's being manufactured in a different factory in a different country, and thus is subject to different import taxes. 

Lots of plausible reasons why these two sets are cheaper for you, that don't presuppose LEGO being evil.

I am wondering if it might be cheaper for the folks in the UK to simply have someone in the US pick one up for them and then mail it over to them and pay the 18%VAT on it.  Buy it in a state with no sales tax, say Oregon, for $800, say shipping costs of $50, and for a total of $850 which is 626.5 pounds and with VAT comes out to 739.72 pounds.

Wow, that’s really a serious difference between UK and other markets. At first I thought it must have something to do with Brexit, but as has been pointed out it’s really not the first time. But then again, how can we compare purchasing power of an average Lsw afol from UK and from EU or US? I’m sure they take it into consideration as well

The UCS AT-AT is a thing of beauty, but I'm actually really impressed by how well the playscale one holds up when directly compared to it. This doesn't feel like a Falcon situation to me where owning the gappy playscale version with funky proportions just left me yearning for the UCS version, this very much feels like you could get by with just 75288 without losing much. You still have the troop bay, the same speeder bike design and E-web, the winch mechanism for Luke, the head can fit Veers and the two pilots, and the only notable aesthetic compromises are the blue and brown technic pieces showing by the leg joints. The UCS version is still seriously impressive and I will spend a lot of time staring at it in the Lego Store, but I doubt I will ever buy it (especially not at £750). Besides, the UCS Falcon already dominates too much of my bedroom. :head_back:

I still absolutely love the AT-AT, everything about it. The only issue i have is... it’s $800 (and $950 Canadian :sick:), and when compared to the Falcon, it’s noticeably smaller 

I think the size of it is perfect, I was worried we’d get an oversized one thats as long and tall as the UCS Falcon, but it really should’ve been $700 and I feel like it’s $800 because lego knew people would buy multiples

Still a day 1 for me, but that 950 hurts

For those of you complaining about cost, I think as someone suggested, weight might be a better way to compare/contrast value. Also, any time a set requires brand new parts, it will drive up costs. The third thing is that this set likely involved a lot of R&D. It's not just that LEGO had to build a huge AT-AT. Many MOC builders have done that. But there are stability, durability, and warranty standards that the company must adhere to. That makes achieving a viable UCS AT-AT extremely difficult. This set is likely something LEGO has investigated for quite some time, and they have likely scrapped many ideas. When R&D goes up, the selling price of each unit will go up. You are not just paying for manufacturing, labor, marketing, and royalty costs. 

With all that said, this set would be much cheaper if LEGO didn't have to pay Disney for the Star Wars rights.

EDIT: I just realized that the issue with price had to do with regional differences. LEGO has a factory to manufacture sets in Mexico. This should 100% be the reason for the regional price differences.

Edited by Something_Awesome

AT-AT looking solid in high res. Will have to build it first but definitely seems like a contender for best UCS set. Will try to get it day 1 for the GWP but not holding my breath, and not too fazed about it because I missed the yoda saber last year. 

Surely I’m not the only one annoyed by the figures though. The selection is perfect but the face prints on some of the troopers are horribly inaccurate. We desperately need more figure parts with darker skin tones and female prints, they should be in smaller sets for everyone to buy! Forced diversity in $1300 sets is not what anyone wants, collectors want accuracy to the source material and MOCers want cheap parts. However, with this and the figures in the marauder I’ve got a feeling the hoth battle pack next year will have a great variety of head prints :moar:

14 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Surely I’m not the only one annoyed by the figures though. The selection is perfect but the face prints on some of the troopers are horribly inaccurate. We desperately need more figure parts with darker skin tones and female prints, they should be in smaller sets for everyone to buy! Forced diversity in $1300 sets is not what anyone wants, collectors want accuracy to the source material and MOCers want cheap parts. However, with this and the figures in the marauder I’ve got a feeling the hoth battle pack next year will have a great variety of head prints :moar:

This may be a can of worms that I'm not sure should be opened in this thread, but why do you think that having diverse snowtroopers isn't accurate to the source material?

28 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

but the face prints on some of the troopers are horribly inaccurate

28 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Forced diversity in $1300 sets is not what anyone wants

Seriously though. What are you smoking?

I might be visiting the US soon soooo if my wife somehow lets me...  I'll smuggle one in my luggage somehow and avoid that pesky VAT.

Where's pics of the faces of the Snowtroopers? I don't understand the "diversity" comment. Are they like not all white and/or male? 'Cause why does it matter? It's not like you could see behind the armour in the movies.

4 minutes ago, BrickG said:

Where's pics of the faces of the Snowtroopers? I don't understand the "diversity" comment. Are they like not all white and/or male? 'Cause why does it matter? It's not like you could see behind the armour in the movies.

From the Brothers Brick review:

Spoiler

LEGO-Star-Wars-75313-UCS-AT-AT-TBB-Revie

The diversity in snowtroopers is good in my opinion, as I hope it continues with smaller sets, I don't think there has every been a generic SW female figure in reddish-brown before and two of the other face prints I haven't seen in a generic figure before either.

While different face prints can increase the resale price of generic figures the snowtrooper is easily available in the cheaper playset AT AT, two previous sets and it will be in a battle pack, the same goes for the stormtrooper. The snowtrooper commander will be expensive anyway (unless it comes in a BP) so I see no issue there.

Is the Australian price revealed yet? I assume it will be the same as the MF as the US price is, but knowing TLG it will probably cost more.

Brickset normally include the Australian price but haven't this time and its not on our online store.

The GBP price point for the AT-AT has left me severely miffed, though that’s all I have to say on the matter. Still a day one purchase for me.

I can’t help but gush over just how much this set gets right. The scale, minifigure compatibility, sleekness, and the sheer detail are riveting. This might be an adult-oriented display model, but I can’t imagine people won’t be playing with this thing every chance they get, I know I will! 

My opinion on Lego Star Wars as a theme is a complex one, but this model bursts with enthusiasm, creativity, and marvellous Lego engineering. It’ll be the first truly giant Lego set I buy, and whilst the £750(!) price tag isn’t easy to swallow, the set just seems worth every penny regardless, even moreso than the ISD and Falcon.

Also loving the diverse range of face prints for the Imperials, they’re a nice subtle part of the set and I’m looking forward to seeing more.

I have my fingers crossed for a truly revamped Snowspeeder next summer, Lego would be foolish not to offer one up now.

Absolutely stunning model. Minus what will likely be some repetitiveness in the build with the 4 legs, this might be the best Star Wars set of all time for me. It's close with the UCS Falcon, whose build may be more interesting when compared with this. There are so many factors that go into pricing, I honestly don't know what to think of $800. Perhaps the net weight is as much as the Falcon. Perhaps the new moulds upped the price a bit. Perhaps the licensing ups it more than we realize. I don't know. I'm fine expressing grief over such a high price, but until I know more about pricing methods I'm not going to be angry at LEGO. I really hope people will see this for what it is: perhaps one of the last great and enormous Star Wars OT models they may ever release (fingers crossed for a similarly monstrous Nebulon-B in the next 2-4 years). I'm going to soak it up.