MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

7 hours ago, Bobbtom said:

I dont think any rational person is asking for a SW cmf for army building. CMFs are readily available for 3-4 months before supply starts drying up and the next one is released. The most I would want in a CMF would be only one  unique clone or other army figure. The rest would be unique characters or characters in different outfits that we haven't had before e.g. wat tambor, padme, aunt beru, etc

But you are assuming Star Wars fans will be rational :sweet:. Your examples are exactly what a CMF should consist of, but many would be up in arms if their favorite clone stormtrooper variant wasn't in the CMF line, or appeared to have no chance of being in it. No one is asking for chitari or outriders in the Marvel CMF, many would expect clones in the a Star Wars CMF.

Edited by Archer

16 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

This is great work and all your math checks out but you have taken the most expensive set at 159.99 and compared it to a potential CMF at 4.99, however, your argument makes so much sense I thought I'd pose a question. 

Let's apply the same logic to the Obi-Wan figure from last year that was sold individually. According to the math and the contract, Lego can sell the fig (which they did) and make a sh*t ton of money on it cause it has an excellent profit margin (Less than 15 pieces sold at 5 dollars per bag). So from a business perspective why would we have not already seen a Lego SW polybag minifig line unless Lego didn't want to make the figs available this way. Remember the argument that its breach of contract is mute since it has the extra 5-6 pieces that make it a building toy and the argument that it wouldn't sell well is also gone cause @MSY-MSP proved you wouldn't need as many sales to make absurd amounts of profit.

I don't think it's a long con or theory that Lego can make CMFs but won't cause they hate fans but according to the math and what constitutes a building toy (a brick-built stand), they should have already had one. :grin:

To answer your question, or at least pose an attempt at it, here are a few thoughts on what I think about the Obi-Wan polybag.  I think that polybag was an attempt to test the waters by Lego to see just how far they could push "building set" language before Hasbro stepped in and said you cannot do that.  That is why this was an exclusive to the stores.  If Hasbro raised a big stink about it, it would be very easy to pull the product while the lawyers dealt with the issues.  Also as the Hasbro/Disney contract was renewed in early 2020 it is also possible that Lego knew what the new terms were going to be, (i.e. that minifigure size action figures were not going to be covered by the new contract), as the contract negotiations between Disney and Hasbro likely started in late 2018 or early 2019.  And knowing this decided to go ahead and release a set that pushed the boundaries of the license as a one off.  Another reason they may have done it this way was they didn't have a set to put the Obi-Wan figure in (Basically they had more figures than sets) and this was the way to get it out.  I also think Lego prefers doing the standard CMF style figures that these super small sets.

Testing the boundaries of a license is a somewhat common occurrence in business.  I work in Patent Law and we see it a lot.  Companies will try to get as close to a patent as they can without infringing it.  They do it in calculated ways so that if they do infringe or the other party thinks they infringe the damage is as limited as possible.  It is a calculated risk.  How far can I push before the other party pushes back.  

2 hours ago, Archer said:

But you are assuming Star Wars fans will be rational :sweet:. Your examples are exactly what a CMF should consist of, but many would be up in arms if their favorite clone stormtrooper variant wasn't in the CMF line, or appeared to have no chance of being in it. No one is asking for chitari or outriders in the Marvel CMF, many would expect clones in the a Star Wars CMF.

I think many would expect only clones in a Star Wars CMF :head_back:

17 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Dang, I don't know why, but I felt like LEGO would do a smaller set to tie in with the show, and in which we could get Boba and Fennec more cheaply. The Palace could be cool and worth it no doubt, but I was hoping for something at the 30$/€ price range.

10 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It kinda sucks that the only set for a new series that we're excited for is a 100€ palace... not very one wants to buy a huge playset just to get a representation of this series.

Agreed, I had hopes the $30 one was something like the Mandalorian Forge, a scene of the palace with Boba, Fennec and a third figure. The Palace might be a great set, but it is definitely an expensive one.

Edited by PRbrickbuilder

10 hours ago, roboticserpent said:

Do you guys think the remaining unknown sets will have hoth rebel troopers? Or maybe they'll show up in the minifigure packs. Are we gearing up for another snowspeeder? 

Logically it would make sense that we'll get some Hoth rebel troops, but with Lego you never know. I think it's more likely than not that we'll get another set that comes with one or two of them, but if we're only getting one battle pack then I doubt we'll get too many of them in the wave. Another snowspeeder seems unlikely since we got a 4+ one in 2020 and a normal one the year before that, but I could see us getting another Hoth set in the same vein as 7749 Echo Base. 

6 hours ago, Archer said:

No doubt some will, but since even the youtubers dont expect clones only in a CMF this is unlikely to be a popular opinion. Regardless this isn't a reason not to do a SW cmf if people are worried about that

I have a feeling that these Minifigure Accessory Sets are just going to include named characters or at least less massable characters. Like instead of getting battle packs like the ones with the Bounty Hunters or Ki-Adi Mundi and Barriss Offee; we’ll get accessory sets for things like that. Now that they’re bringing back battle packs after such a hiatus, I don’t think they want these Minifigure Accessory Sets competing with them, even if they are Lego Store Exclusives.

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Why so much discussion about yes or no?! Just do it or not.

Do or do not. There is no try. 

“Why so much discussion…” 

That’s…why I’m here.

$100  Boba Fett's palace? Sign me up! I can't wait to see what all(and who all) it includes. Rumors suggest  Boba might get another update to his armor so we'll likely get a new Boba figure... who am I kidding, it'll be the exact same one and of course Fennec Shand, hopefully she'll get a hair piece as well as her helmet. It's hard to speculate about anything else until we get a trailer which sadly won't likely be until November at the Disney+ event.

Edited by ToaDraco

So looks like we’re getting a new republic fighter tank, with Mace, two 187th Troopers, and an Airborne trooper. Rumor from the same guy who leaked Bobas palace originally.

11 minutes ago, FoggyFate said:

So looks like we’re getting a new republic fighter tank, with Mace, two 187th Troopers, and an Airborne trooper. Rumor from the same guy who leaked Bobas palace originally.

Finally 1 set to be excited for.

If true its nice to be getting something from the prequel era next year although a little disappointed its more of an EU set and not based on the films themselves (especially AOTC).

5 hours ago, The Stud said:

I have a feeling that these Minifigure Accessory Sets are just going to include named characters or at least less massable characters. Like instead of getting battle packs like the ones with the Bounty Hunters or Ki-Adi Mundi and Barriss Offee; we’ll get accessory sets for things like that. Now that they’re bringing back battle packs after such a hiatus, I don’t think they want these Minifigure Accessory Sets competing with them, even if they are Lego Store Exclusives.

Um, I think the battle packs are coming back AS the minifigure packs. Everything about the snowtrooper pack (increased price, subject matter, display stand) when taken together strongly indicates it's a special case and meant as a UCS add-on pack. The $15 blister packs for other themes pretty much just ARE battle packs for other themes, with the main difference being that the composition is usually 2-3 army-builders and 1-2 named characters. But consider the themes (ninjago, superheroes, harry potter): they usually lack armies for the good guys, at least ones of any iconicity. And even then, we do get "battle packs" of entirely unnamed characters (Oni ninjago pack, GCPD pack, probably more I'm forgetting). I'm pretty sure the SW ones are just going to be battle packs packaged differently.

1 hour ago, FoggyFate said:

Interesting, as the set (and the 187th airbourne) are from battlefront 2005, and AFAIK only the tank is canon (battlefront 2017). 

Depending on the price I might get it, I already have a nice MOC I made of the tc-130, but if the figures are good and it's cheap maybe I'll get it.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

If I’m following correctly, the tank fills one of the final two mystery slots—priced at $30 USD and Unknown.

It’s conceivable this takes that $30 slot, though, I could see them upsizing it & charing as much as double that:

- The previous tank was $25 for 305 pieces and 2 figures (including a special headpiece) + 2 droids.

- The 501st “battle pack” was $30 for 285 pieces and 4 figures + 2 droids.

Either way, I’m interested to eventually see this + the rest of the non-helmet/microfighter sets.

Edited by Pedilego

2 hours ago, FoggyFate said:

Pls no, I hope its not the 187th troopers as they aren't canon and are pretty underground. Why does lego sometimes make random clone legions like the Phase 2 Geonosis and 187th battalion? 

Ah well, hopefully its just a mistake and that its actually just the 91st Recon Corps seen in TCW S7 with Windu on Annaxes.

3 hours ago, FoggyFate said:

Hmmm, this wave might not be so bad after all, especially if the Yodas training is as promising as rom purée and the accessory pack is nicely done

A fine addition to my TX-130 collection. Weird they're doing 187th legion, maybe they're the unnamed legion from the S7 episodes? 

Where did you get this info cause none of the popular Instagram leakers have posted about it and falcon said he's not sure if it's legit on his story. 

If it is true then it's one set I will definitely be buying no matter the price cause the rest of the wave is looking like a pass. Having 187th troopers included is the one thing that makes this rumor so sus but hopefully it's true and we get some quality prequel content. 

5 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Where did you get this info cause none of the popular Instagram leakers have posted about it and falcon said he's not sure if it's legit on his story. 

If it is true then it's one set I will definitely be buying no matter the price cause the rest of the wave is looking like a pass. Having 187th troopers included is the one thing that makes this rumor so sus but hopefully it's true and we get some quality prequel content. 

The info is from geekbricks, same leaker which originally leaked    Jabbas (now Boba’s) palace. After talking to him he said he’s 99% sure the set is coming, but that the figures could be incorrect or changed. Also it could be a store exclusive explain why falcon has his doubts. Again though it is just a rumor so could be false.

Edited by FoggyFate

11 minutes ago, FoggyFate said:

The info is from geekbricks, same leaker which originally leaked    Jabbas (now Boba’s) palace. After talking to him he said he’s 99% sure the set is coming, but that the figures could be incorrect or changed. Also it could be a store exclusive explain why falcon has his doubts. Again though it is just a rumor so could be false.

Well, here's to hoping it's true.:moar:

I would be overjoyed if LEGO made the 187th Legion, but that doesn't seem very plausible to me. The 187th isn't just not canon, it's never appeared anywhere in Star Wars; it was created by Hasbro for a figure pack in 2006 and has never been used by anyone but them. More importantly, the Bad Batch arc in Season 7 of TCW showed Mace leading a currently unnamed unit, which has presumably replaced the 187th in current canon. If the rumor is correct at all, it's much more likely that the clones would be the ones from TCW. The color is similar enough to the 187th that somebody could have misidentified them.

1 hour ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

Why does lego sometimes make random clone legions like the Phase 2 Geonosis and 187th battalion?

They do it because people like me want them. They've already made figures of the 91st Recon Corps; surely something new is better than a repeat? That said, the Geonosis troopers are a bad example of anything because LEGO pulled them out of thin air, so you're right that nobody was asking for those.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

If the  fighter tank is actually real then I'm extremely excited. Regardless of the vehicle's origin, it's always looked cool and I've liked all the versions of it. I'm a fan of mace windu and would be even more excited if the clones are the corresponding ones from his unit in TCW S7.

I might be in the minority but I actually like the phase 2 geonosis clones even if they are made up. Yea, lego should have made a battlepack with the plain white phase 2, but the geonosis ones  still look cool

6 hours ago, FoggyFate said:

Is.... Is this real life? Is this a dream? Actual 187th troopers?! I don't think I've ever been so excited for a rumor.