MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

5 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

On a completely unrelated note, pictures of the next SW LEGO magazine foil pack are up on Rebrickable, and am I crazy, or is the Turbo Tank assembled backwards? I know they've got cockpits on both ends, so it doesn't really have a 'backwards' per se, but they've got the conning tower on the narrow end rather than the end with most of the guns.

Huh. I think you're right.

8 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

2 points here:

1. The Landspeeder is not more iconic than a Venator or Gunship. That was true from 1977-2010 but it is not anymore. 

2. An average person on the street isn't buying Lego, a young SW fan or adult collector is. If I ask a child what their fav SW vehicles are the answers would be X-wing, Tie Fighter, Falcon, Gunship, and Razorcrest. We are not in 2010 anymore, the world doesn't hate prequels as much and fans are watching the new stuff far more than the old. The Gunship's appearance in animated shows and the Razorcrests' in the Mandalorian have catapulted them in popularity with younger audiences who are Lego's primary consumer base. If you think from the point of view of a 35-40-year-old then yeah the Landspeder and Walker are more iconic but if you have the point of view of a 9/14-year-old then you realize they probably want clones and Baby Yoda. 

I don't like to site Mandr in this forum cause that brings him hate but I think his videos and comment sections are an accurate representation of how children and young adults feel about Lego SW as of late. Young kids who grew up and still watch the CW era/ Mando era material want more of those sets rather than a new TIE or walker. Yeah, they might whine and complain but that's how the average fans of any fanbase popular on the interwebs acts. 

I actually think you're quite right here. 

I also think lego does the constant repeats because its a safe bet, but I wonder what would happen if they solidly ignored OT and went with' safe bets' in other eras. At some point OT fans will be just as common as any other era fan because enough time will have gone by that OT fans will be grampas and not buying lego anymore. Anyone growing up with SW now, has a lot more to watch and take their attention/eye candy vehicle wise, so the Landspeeder will just disappear into a background vehicle. It had no major prominent role other than transport luke and obiwan from a to b. That's it. Nothing really noteworthy occurred with it. 

If I was a kid, while it might seem spoilt, I'd be disappointed if I got a landspeeder as a gift. I mean, once you got one, that's it. It's not an army builder set. 

The naboo n1 is iconic enough to justify remakes of it as much as the Landspeeder gets. And, it's sooo much more of a beauty to look at too. 

If TLG are going with the whole 'old fans moved on, new fans joined and want lego' theory, then, it's a constant dynamic that'll never end and therefore they should just keep the same x wing on the shelf as there will always be someone new. Why bother wasting investment designing a new one? Just readjust which minifigs come with it, job done. 

Or, given how successful they are, and that it's star wars.... Take a gamble now and then, worst they'd likely do is make a smaller profit but still profit... 

Unless they do the current general grievous ship debacle again... 

10 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I can't speak on buying for someone younger cause I buy for me but I'll take your word for it when it comes to gifting however I don't think the parents are making all the decisions on which sets to get. While parents are making the purchases I'd guess kids would make choices so if they recognize Captain Rex or Ahsoka from their favorite show then they're gonna wanna buy that set from CW and not the one from ANH that their parents think is iconic. Also in this scenario where $30 is the sweet spot, I don't see how the Lanspeeder is selling well at all-cause kids (who grew up w/clones and CW) would rather have a bunch of clones and battle droid in a BP rather than Luke, 3-PO and a speeder.

I can't speak for every parent, but in my experience it goes something like this: "Timmy's birthday party is Saturday. Parents didn't say 'no gifts', so I need to get something, stat. What's a $30-40 set that's in stock at Target, that feels substantial, that I recognize? Ideally on sale?" Mayyyyybe I ask my kid if they know what Timmy is into, but invariably I get no response, or the answer is (shudder) "Ninjago", and regardless there's no way I'm letting my kid choose, because then they're just going to want it for themselves, and refuse to give it away. Or I now have to buy a second set to placate my kid... which sets the precedent that every time another kid has a birthday, my kid gets a present too. (Thanks but no thanks... we're not hobbits.)

Parents buy what they know. For the last twenty years, that's been largely OT stuff. But as prequel-era kids grow up and start families of their own, sure, picking Rex or Ahsoka or some clones is just as likely (or moreso) than picking a landspeeder... 

As for why LEGO does Luke's rather dull landspeeder over and over, versus some other PT set of a comparable size? For one, there aren't all that many PT sets that fit the bill. The Jedi Starfighters/Interceptors are the closest match, and they do get released a ton (we had one a year for like 5 years running, iirc., and there's one on shelves now). Other than that, the Naboo Fighter is probably more of a $50-60 set at this point (though I agree, it should get re-released more often), and the AAT has been released twice over the last 6ish years... and again, on shelves now. The two speeders from Ep 2 would work, and are way overdue for a reissue, esp. since Zam has only been released as a yellow minifig. Hell, even the green version of Luke's landspeeder from Ep 1 would be a nice change, or the black one from the Lars garage, or the red one from Mando... Unfortunately, it's much easier for LEGO to recycle (or upcycle) an existing build, than it is to design something new...

8 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The A-wing and the TIE interceptor are roughly equally prominent in RotJ, and they're similarly sized, so on the face of it one might expect them to receive similar coverage, but there have been seven A-wings released in the time since the last TIE interceptor in 2006.

The difference is that there are a ton of other TIEs that have been released as well (several very similar to, or adaptations of the Interceptor), and there's nothing really in the ballpark of the A-Wing. 

Edited by jdubbs
corrected AAT ship name

40 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

the turbo tank has been released twice over the last 6ish years... and again, on shelves now

The Turbo Tank is a big model though, isn't it? I'd feel short-changed if Lego came out with a Turbo Tank (regular scale, not mini) that was Landspeeder size.

Besides that, is the Turbo Tank really an iconic vehicle? To me personally it's iconic, but that's entirely because the original set had that cool sand green scout trooper that I really wanted and never managed to get. But it probably has what? Twenty seconds' screen time, in the background of the battle of Kashyyk. For years I thought the set was a made-up vehicle like the TIE Crawler because it's so much in the background of the films.

45 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The difference is that there are a ton of other TIEs that have been released as well (several very similar to, or adaptations of the Interceptor), and there's nothing really in the ballpark of the A-Wing. 

Not to mention that the A-Wing is also in the sequels, whereas the Interceptor (iirc) isn't.

12 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'm just curious, what are you classifying as PT sets?  Of strictly prequel stuff, I would assume you mean Duel on Mustafar, Grievous' Fighter, Anakin's Fighter, and the Gunship, but I think the 501st set, AAT, Duel on Mandalore, Bad Batch Shuttle, and Mandalorian Fighters could also count.  They're prequel era and the shows tie in with the movies pretty closely.

Also, I would probably count Yoda's Lightsaber as a prequel GWP, since he doesn't use it in the OT.

Now, that doesn't the numbers even, I know, but there is a bit more stuff that I would classify as "prequel era."  

PT means prequel trilogy so i only count sets that are in the prequel trilogy movies the same way i only count OT sets if they were in OT movie. I became a star wars fan in 1999 after watching TPM, i didn't even know mandalorians aside from Jango even existed till 2012. If you gonna clasify Blue AAT as the same as Trade federation AAT from episode 1 you may as well count all sequel sets as OT cause most of the times it's just a bit of orange paint on an x-wing or a slightly different AT-AT. Then you need to count rogue one, solo, rebels and the mandalorian as OT cause they are all using imperial troops, imperial vehicles etc... Future Ahsoka show, Boba show, Obi show, upcoming 2023 movie it's all gonna be OT based. Rogue one literally ends when OT begins.  

Yeah you could also count Yoda's lightsaber, but there is also a fact that you had to buy a 250$ OT set to get it.

12 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The thing is, even many OT fans hate the OT sets that LEGO keeps putting out. Landspeeders, X-Wings, generic TIEs, snowspeeders, A-Wings, Y-Wings, AT-STs... it's the same damn designs over and over... dressed up in a new paint deco, or a slightly changed build, or with one new fig (yay!) or re-scaled to fit a new price point... and there's honestly only so many of any of these that any of us want.

Yes, there are always people who pop up right about now saying "but I'm happy for another landspeeder because I (somehow, inexplicably) missed the one that retired three months ago"... but for those of us that didn't just emerge from a dark age, or who have been collecting for more than the last 6 months, the repetition is really frustrating. And this isn't just OT... LEGO puts out the same half-dozen PT designs over and over (Jedi Starfighters, Interceptors, AT-RTs, etc.), and even the sets from the ST and anthology movies increasingly bypassed new designs (see: TIE Heavy, Cargo Shuttle, Exegol, Ochi's Ship, etc) in favor of well-worn, recycled "sure-seller" sets.

Honestly, I would not care what the mix of movies/shows was, so long as the mix featured more *unique* designs/builds to fill the many gaping holes across the entire SW timeline. Sadly, skimming through the last 7-8 years of sets on Brickset, it seems this number has dropped considerably over the last few years, at least as far as system sets are concerned (helmets, statues, etc... doesn't, doesn't count.)

100% agreed. Just repetition and repetition and they throw in 1 new fig fans really like for example General Dodo or Zuckuss to make you buy it. When there is a cool vehicle people want again like imperial shuttle they completely butcher it or ignore it like the endor bunker. When there is some cool new vehicle they ignore it too and go do the usual tie fighter, landspeeder, snowspeeder... Just sick and tired of it.

24 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

The Turbo Tank is a big model though, isn't it? I'd feel short-changed if Lego came out with a Turbo Tank (regular scale, not mini) that was Landspeeder size.

Sorry, I said Turbo Tank when I meant the AAT... which seems reasonably well-known, at least from Ep 1. And in the vicinity of the land speeder in terms of price.

10 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Sorry, I said Turbo Tank when I meant the AAT... which seems reasonably well-known, at least from Ep 1. And in the vicinity of the land speeder in terms of price.

Yeah, the AAT is definitely an apt comparison!

There are rumors that the upcoming Razor Crest Microfighter will have a new kind of shooter, and not the stud shooters we're used to seeing.

I think Prequel UCS Sets will get there day, but there not going to drop a large grey and red piece of cheese, when there is a $700 grey only piece of cheese sitting on the shelf. I think the only case a Venator would have is 1-2 years or more after the current SD retires. 

Overall, with the mix of crazy expensive sets, MF, SD, and now AT-AT, combined with the MBS line, updates like the Y-wing, Speeder, and R2, new UCS like the A-wing, Gunship, and potentially the land speeder they have had a good mix that will take time to make everyone happy.

As someone who missed out on older sets, I like the updates, and new items regardless of the trilogy, I'm more worried about the frequency of these big $$$ sets. The AT-AT will be my first pass in awhile as I am happy with the plus size MOC I have, and a third $700-800 set in 4 years is a bit much for me!

20 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I’m going to go back looking for it through this thread considering how long most of the posts are, but shouldn’t Rebels, Solo, R1 count as prequel era sets? I mean r/prequelmemes counts them as such, and even though of them have very Ot inspired design, it would certainly change the percentage up? Mando would also count as st, but that could certainly change the proportions if you added those, and combining all the pre ANH and post ROTJ properties might outweigh Ot.

Haha, sorry to be rude but cmon. 

Either way, I loved this data analysis. Should have been done a few years back. Definitely confirms a lot of people’s thoughts. 

Shame, really. 

18 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Honestly, I would not care what the mix of movies/shows was, so long as the mix featured more *unique* designs/builds to fill the many gaping holes across the entire SW timeline. Sadly, skimming through the last 7-8 years of sets on Brickset, it seems this number has dropped considerably over the last few years, at least as far as system sets are concerned (helmets, statues, etc... doesn't, doesn't count.)

Yeah, I did this recently. Depressing.

I think a really good gauge about the state of Lego Star Wars is when most of this forum is unexcited about the next wave; it’s been like this for a number of years now. The heyday of Lego Star Wars, this forum used to be buzzing. Maybe I’m being nostalgic… 

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again. The Lego Star Wars team currently is out of touch. It’s so so clear. Look, I’m not advocating people losing their jobs, but the potential for Lego Star Wars right now is so so high. Star Wars has never been in a better place. I’d expect a more cautious approach considering the unpopular ST for the most part. 

Another separate point folks is that the dynamic of Lego Star Wars has changed. 

5-10 years back, you would get 2 UCS sets, and the remaining would be a winter wave and a summer wave consisting of around 8 sets each. Nowadays, there’s an April wave, 18+ sets including helmets etc and so forth. 

Nowadays, it seems that the ‘system’ scale sets are catered specifically for children: classic figures, smaller builds, less detail etc. However, 5-10 years ago these sets were the main source of content to purchase for afols and teens etc. 

I would argue then that the traditional winter and summer waves have taken a different nature. Hence we see greater remakes, simplified sets, limited new figures. The new Winter wave for most of us now is April-May. 

It doesn’t explain this obsession with OT though. A Clone Trooper helmet would sell like hot cakes. But no, an AT-AT driver helmet is more desirable…hmm. 

In honesty, there should be 2-3 Bad Batch sets in this winter wave. It’s what is currently relevant, and although it had its criticism, many of us tuned in each week to watch it. With Disney +, YouTube, children would have accessed this also. 

A child is not going to want a Hoth AT-ST, let’s be real. Hence I don’t buy the parent idea to explain the OT’s prominence. Furthermore, often parents these days buy what the child asks for, not what they recognise. The parent argument also assumes many parents know about Star Wars.  

Edited by ArrowBricks

12 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

On a completely unrelated note, pictures of the next SW LEGO magazine foil pack are up on Rebrickable, and am I crazy, or is the Turbo Tank assembled backwards? I know they've got cockpits on both ends, so it doesn't really have a 'backwards' per se, but they've got the conning tower on the narrow end rather than the end with most of the guns.

yet another example of lego thinking prequel fans are stupid, how unacceptable

An 80$ Yoda's hut?? And another Death Star set already?! :ugh: Are these the "great surprises" we were promised? :poke:

I knew it, the 2022 1HY selection is going to be almost as bland and uninspired as this year's. Looks like the 2HY sets have to save us again

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

An 80$ Yoda's hut??

It could be a Jedi Temple playset, based on Episode 2.

Edited by Graupensuppe

@Mandalorianknight sorry I haven’t got back to you sooner about my post in another page. 

The winter wave is exactly why I’m selling my collection. Lego doesn’t produce exciting Lego Star Wars sets anymore. I’d rather use future money and the money I can gain from selling the collection for things I enjoy. I love Lego. I love Star Wars. Lego Star Wars, a dream. Right now, falling flat on its bum.

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

75329 Death Star Battle Scene - $60

75330 Yoda's Training - $80

Well, this sounds intriguing...

Sounds boring once again. Nothing new here. 

Just now, McMurder_them_softly said:

Or when he goes on his force adventure in TCW? 

I really respect the optimism, I really do. More chance I build a space shuttle made of Lego and fly to space myself, sadly. 

18 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Fully agree with this. The ‘classic’ ships and speeders from the OT will always be iconic for a reason, but when it comes to Lego, I do grow tired of sets that are monochromatic and don’t offer much in terms of the designs themselves. It’s why the summer wave is such a breath of fresh air, because the sets are full of new stuff that’s never been offered before.

A Hoth-focused wave in January seems like a fair compromise given the non-film focus we’ve had this summer. If Lego can balance legacy content as well as new things, I’m all for it.

Well, if these are the proper names, they could be something other than the duel in ROTJ and Yoda's hut, but it's still not exciting in the slightest :tongue:

2 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

A Hoth-focused wave in January seems like a fair compromise given the non-film focus we’ve had this summer. If Lego can balance legacy content as well as new things, I’m all for it.

Does it though? 8 other films. 6 other ones not OT. (Excluding RO, Solo etc etc) 

Watch Yoda's training be a 50$ X-Wing + a 30$ Hut :grin:

No, seriously I am really excited to see what this is, especially considering it's on the expensive side of things

9 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

I really respect the optimism, I really do. More chance I build a space shuttle made of Lego and fly to space myself, sadly. 

Gave me a good chuckle over here :grin:

For $80 though, I wonder. We just got a hut and I don't see where this could go...plus the price, as others have said. 

These prices seem off relative to other 1HY waves? Or no? Consider me intrigued but not all that optimistic until we know more. 

Looks like another very cheaply produced wave then, no new moulds required thus far and just a few new prints here or there, if we're lucky :tongue:   Lame

Just now, McMurder_them_softly said:

Gave me a good chuckle over here :grin:

For $80 though, I wonder. We just got a hut and I don't see where this could go...plus the price, as others have said. 

These prices seem off relative to other 1HY waves? Or no? Consider me intrigued but not all that optimistic until we know more. 

Haha, love that.

The above, I think is pretty spot on. Imagine the scenes, another X-Wing. Surely not. 

Hopefully these are fake.