MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

20 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I’m going to go back looking for it through this thread considering how long most of the posts are, but shouldn’t Rebels, Solo, R1 count as prequel era sets? I mean r/prequelmemes counts them as such, and even though of them have very Ot inspired design, it would certainly change the percentage up? Mando would also count as st, but that could certainly change the proportions if you added those, and combining all the pre ANH and post ROTJ properties might outweigh Ot.

Haha, sorry to be rude but cmon. 

Either way, I loved this data analysis. Should have been done a few years back. Definitely confirms a lot of people’s thoughts. 

Shame, really. 

18 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Honestly, I would not care what the mix of movies/shows was, so long as the mix featured more *unique* designs/builds to fill the many gaping holes across the entire SW timeline. Sadly, skimming through the last 7-8 years of sets on Brickset, it seems this number has dropped considerably over the last few years, at least as far as system sets are concerned (helmets, statues, etc... doesn't, doesn't count.)

Yeah, I did this recently. Depressing.

I think a really good gauge about the state of Lego Star Wars is when most of this forum is unexcited about the next wave; it’s been like this for a number of years now. The heyday of Lego Star Wars, this forum used to be buzzing. Maybe I’m being nostalgic… 

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again. The Lego Star Wars team currently is out of touch. It’s so so clear. Look, I’m not advocating people losing their jobs, but the potential for Lego Star Wars right now is so so high. Star Wars has never been in a better place. I’d expect a more cautious approach considering the unpopular ST for the most part. 

Another separate point folks is that the dynamic of Lego Star Wars has changed. 

5-10 years back, you would get 2 UCS sets, and the remaining would be a winter wave and a summer wave consisting of around 8 sets each. Nowadays, there’s an April wave, 18+ sets including helmets etc and so forth. 

Nowadays, it seems that the ‘system’ scale sets are catered specifically for children: classic figures, smaller builds, less detail etc. However, 5-10 years ago these sets were the main source of content to purchase for afols and teens etc. 

I would argue then that the traditional winter and summer waves have taken a different nature. Hence we see greater remakes, simplified sets, limited new figures. The new Winter wave for most of us now is April-May. 

It doesn’t explain this obsession with OT though. A Clone Trooper helmet would sell like hot cakes. But no, an AT-AT driver helmet is more desirable…hmm. 

In honesty, there should be 2-3 Bad Batch sets in this winter wave. It’s what is currently relevant, and although it had its criticism, many of us tuned in each week to watch it. With Disney +, YouTube, children would have accessed this also. 

A child is not going to want a Hoth AT-ST, let’s be real. Hence I don’t buy the parent idea to explain the OT’s prominence. Furthermore, often parents these days buy what the child asks for, not what they recognise. The parent argument also assumes many parents know about Star Wars.  

Edited by ArrowBricks

12 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

On a completely unrelated note, pictures of the next SW LEGO magazine foil pack are up on Rebrickable, and am I crazy, or is the Turbo Tank assembled backwards? I know they've got cockpits on both ends, so it doesn't really have a 'backwards' per se, but they've got the conning tower on the narrow end rather than the end with most of the guns.

yet another example of lego thinking prequel fans are stupid, how unacceptable

An 80$ Yoda's hut?? And another Death Star set already?! :ugh: Are these the "great surprises" we were promised? :poke:

I knew it, the 2022 1HY selection is going to be almost as bland and uninspired as this year's. Looks like the 2HY sets have to save us again

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

An 80$ Yoda's hut??

It could be a Jedi Temple playset, based on Episode 2.

Edited by Graupensuppe

@Mandalorianknight sorry I haven’t got back to you sooner about my post in another page. 

The winter wave is exactly why I’m selling my collection. Lego doesn’t produce exciting Lego Star Wars sets anymore. I’d rather use future money and the money I can gain from selling the collection for things I enjoy. I love Lego. I love Star Wars. Lego Star Wars, a dream. Right now, falling flat on its bum.

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

75329 Death Star Battle Scene - $60

75330 Yoda's Training - $80

Well, this sounds intriguing...

Sounds boring once again. Nothing new here. 

Just now, McMurder_them_softly said:

Or when he goes on his force adventure in TCW? 

I really respect the optimism, I really do. More chance I build a space shuttle made of Lego and fly to space myself, sadly. 

18 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Honestly, I would not care what the mix of movies/shows was, so long as the mix featured more *unique* designs/builds to fill the many gaping holes across the entire SW timeline. Sadly, skimming through the last 7-8 years of sets on Brickset, it seems this number has dropped considerably over the last few years, at least as far as system sets are concerned (helmets, statues, etc... doesn't, doesn't count.)

Fully agree with this. The ‘classic’ ships and speeders from the OT will always be iconic for a reason, but when it comes to Lego, I do grow tired of sets that are monochromatic and don’t offer much in terms of the designs themselves. It’s why the summer wave is such a breath of fresh air, because the sets are full of new stuff that’s never been offered before.

A Hoth-focused wave in January seems like a fair compromise given the non-film focus we’ve had this summer. If Lego can balance legacy content as well as new things, I’m all for it.

2 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

A Hoth-focused wave in January seems like a fair compromise given the non-film focus we’ve had this summer. If Lego can balance legacy content as well as new things, I’m all for it.

Does it though? 8 other films. 6 other ones not OT. (Excluding RO, Solo etc etc) 

Watch Yoda's training be a 50$ X-Wing + a 30$ Hut :grin:

No, seriously I am really excited to see what this is, especially considering it's on the expensive side of things

9 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

I really respect the optimism, I really do. More chance I build a space shuttle made of Lego and fly to space myself, sadly. 

Gave me a good chuckle over here :grin:

For $80 though, I wonder. We just got a hut and I don't see where this could go...plus the price, as others have said. 

These prices seem off relative to other 1HY waves? Or no? Consider me intrigued but not all that optimistic until we know more. 

Gave me a good chuckle over here :grin:

For $80 though, I wonder. We just got a hut and I don't see where this could go...plus the price, as others have said. 

These prices seem off relative to other 1HY waves? Or no? Consider me intrigued but not all that optimistic until we know more. 

Haha, love that.

The above, I think is pretty spot on. Imagine the scenes, another X-Wing. Surely not. 

Hopefully these are fake. 

8 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Does it though? 8 other films. 6 other ones not OT. (Excluding RO, Solo etc etc) 

Bah, I was hoping we’d get a few new things in January at least but these new leaks.. 

Disappointing, but it is what it is I guess :sceptic: 

Yikes...to say the least. I would not be surprised if the $100 death star final duel retires then is immediately replaced by this $80 version.

Looks like this wave is going to be affordable for me as well. With so many helmets coming our there's very limited space for system sets and looks like they're mostly taken up by OT once again...

1 hour ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

I think Prequel UCS Sets will get there day, but there not going to drop a large grey and red piece of cheese, when there is a $700 grey only piece of cheese sitting on the shelf. I think the only case a Venator would have is 1-2 years or more after the current SD retires. 

The UCS market targets a difference audience then the system market. It's important to remember that people are also asking for playset versions of the gunship and venator, etc. I know that you should not expect the UCS gunship to be minifig scale, but I honestly don't blame people wanting it to be minifig scale, with the drought of large PT vehicles...

Edited by Bobbtom

So 2 relatively big sets and both seem to be OT based? What a surprise! Never would have expected that! 

How can they make Yodas hut at 80$ without including x-wing though? And what could be Death Star battle? A scene from Ep 4 when Han runs into like a 100 stormtroopers? 

Dunno, just trying to be creative here...wishful thinking I know. 

We're talking about LEGO here, they might constantly say they care about creativity but we all know we'll just get the exact same stuff over and over again :hmpf:

1 minute ago, lego_guyon02 said:

We're talking about LEGO here, they might constantly say they care about creativity but we all know we'll just get the exact same stuff over and over again :hmpf:

Yeah I know...sometimes I feel like that kid from the Incredibles movie...

These remakes so soon just seem uncharacteristic, even for LEGO. I'm sure someone will come back with examples, please do!

55 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again. The Lego Star Wars team currently is out of touch. It’s so so clear. Look, I’m not advocating people losing their jobs, but the potential for Lego Star Wars right now is so so high. Star Wars has never been in a better place. I’d expect a more cautious approach considering the unpopular ST for the most part. 

The ironic thing is that the team can be extremely competent with the sets they do put out. The MBS cantina, gunship, downsized tie fighter etc are great builds. It's just that they keep retreading the same sets

Edited by Bobbtom