MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

snip

I don't think they do, but i personally use brickset to determine how well sets are selling. 
According to brickset LEGO sold:
13522 Death stars
4778 Obi Wans starfighters with the lowest "i want this set" numbers out of all of this sets
6991 super star destroyers
10189 R2-D2s
11902 ewok villages
9874 x-wings
9962 sandcrawlers
17095 slave 1s
10857 tie fighters
You can clearly see Obi Wans starfighter sold horribly and it still has terrible i want this set numbers. Even though i love prequels with all my heart i can put my feelings aside and see it wasn't a good financial move to keep making sets that would sell that badly and i can see that LEGO had no thoughts about even making prequel ucs sets again when they had things like slave 1, ewok village etc. selling so good. Just with a small sample size of people using brickset Slave 1 sold almost 4 times as many sets as Obi Wan's starfighter. Lot of people including me said LEGO hates prequels etc., but if you check out the numbers it's purely a business decision cause after all LEGO is a company.

You also mentioned Y-wing which sold 7558 sets so almost double as Obi Wan's starfighter, worst selling UCS set nowadays is star destroyer which is IN MY OPINION very expensive, very large, has no interior and minifigures are bad and if my memory is correct even one of the leakers said it's selling badly on this forum giving some accuracy to brickset numbers. Only set that sold worse was assault on hoth.

I remember clear as day going with my friends in a store to buy lego sets in 2010 and not a single one of us was interested in the Obi Wan's set, it was also competing with much better sets for the same price like AT-AT, Venator, Slave 1, Clone Turbo tank, the battle of endor etc, ton of amazing battlepacks aswell... 
Let's say you are a child with 100 dollars and see the battle of endor with 12 minifigures, bunker, catapult, flying ewok, cool speeders and at-st and near it sad looking obi wan's starfighter with no Obi Wan for the same price, no wonder it sold horribly. 

Yes prequels were hated, people constantly complained about jar-jar, they were saying how senate and political stuff dragged out and they complained about midichlorians, acting, dialog and cgi. Actor that played Jar-Jar was so hated he attempted suicide. People that spread hate and complained are the ones that grew up with original trilogy and didn't like new movies. Now prequel fans that grew up with those movies and love them are becoming vocal on the internet and are working and have a huge budget to spend on things like LEGO so everything shifted. (Clone wars and filling up gaps with clone wars also brought in a lot of fans.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

Let's say you are a child with 100 dollars and see the battle of endor with 12 minifigures, bunker, catapult, flying ewok, cool speeders and at-st and near it sad looking obi wan's starfighter with no Obi Wan for the same price, no wonder it sold horribly. 

This is a good illustration of the demographic problem that set had IMO - cheap enough to be accessible to younger fans, but younger fans don't buy UCS sets that much (even more so 10 years ago).

What are the aftermarket prices for that set like? On the one hand i assume the scarcity would drive it up, but then if the demand hasn't ever caught up... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

You can clearly see Obi Wans starfighter sold horribly and it still has terrible i want this set numbers. 

I honestly like the movie's design of the ship, I just didn't like the UCS LEGO design. The flat white portion on top should have been curved, and the scale of R4 in relation to the rest of the ship wasn't right. For me, UCS set appeal often comes down to accuracy, and Obi-Wan's starfighter doesn't have as much as I'd like. I'd have no problem buying it if they re-released it with some design updates to make it more accurate. In other words, my personal lack of desire to be the UCS Obi Wan's Starfighter has nothing to do with the fact that it's a prequel set... I like the ship, just not LEGO's take on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

I just received the shipping notification email from Lego for my UCS Gunship.

Did you order right at release? Trying to judge since I got mine in ~45 min post release time. Hope it ships very soon or waits until after next weekend when I'll be out of town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Did you order right at release? Trying to judge since I got mine in ~45 min post release time. Hope it ships very soon or waits until after next weekend when I'll be out of town. 

Yeah I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

What are the aftermarket prices for that set like? On the one hand i assume the scarcity would drive it up, but then if the demand hasn't ever caught up... 

Cheapest sealed on bricklink is 250$ in canada,same seller is selling venator sealed from the same time period and similar cost for almost 800$.

2 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I honestly like the movie's design of the ship, I just didn't like the UCS LEGO design. 

Yeah, completely understandable. Not a big fan of the design either.

Edited by PreVizsla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The minifigures itself I have mixed feelings for. Maul looks absolutely amazing, I love all the prints and his new face. My only nitpick is that they haven't used the longer hilt for his lightsaber. Like come on Lego, it exists now, so use it.

Unfortunately they've already gone on record as saying they didn't even consider doing this because the current hilt piece is "too synonymous" with lightsabers, so it probably won't happen in future sets either. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the piece was available in the right color in a different set... I guess we'll just have to keep waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be in the minority but I don't think Maul needs the longer hilt. The lightsabre hilts are already basically as long as a figure's leg, and while I appreciate the scale is way out whack, I don't think the longer hilt would achieve anything other than looking slightly goofy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I might be in the minority but I don't think Maul needs the longer hilt. The lightsabre hilts are already basically as long as a figure's leg, and while I appreciate the scale is way out whack, I don't think the longer hilt would achieve anything other than looking slightly goofy.

I agree, I think it would look a little cartoonish. Is there a picture with the set-up? Not opposed to it but I think it would look wonky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Prices for all sorts of collectibles have risen enormously as there's lots of "new money" in the world and thus people with astronomical amounts of cash deciding to get in on collectible things. It's happened a bit with collectible video game sales for instance, and I won't get started on NFTs - not the same thing, but an example of people splashing extreme amounts of money on basically nothing. Sanity and sustainability play no role.

This seems like the 90s all over again when it comes to collectibles.  People realized at that time that "Hey, these rare baseball cards from the 50s are going for a lot of money, if I buy a bunch of cards from now, in 30-40 years, they'll be worth something!" and then that mentality carried over a ton of collectibles, Beanie Babies being a prominent example.  In the trading card example, very few cards from the 90s are worth more than the paper they're printed on.  

I can't see this sustaining, as there are people buying up current sets as "investments" and trying to resell them later.  For some stuff, I think it's possible, but I highly doubt every single set is going to hold value in the future.

At some point, the bubble will burst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I can't see this sustaining, as there are people buying up current sets as "investments" and trying to resell them later.  For some stuff, I think it's possible, but I highly doubt every single set is going to hold value in the future.

At some point, the bubble will burst.

This is what I was telling myself 10 years ago when all those “LEGO is a better investment than gold” articles were floating around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

This seems like the 90s all over again when it comes to collectibles.  People realized at that time that "Hey, these rare baseball cards from the 50s are going for a lot of money, if I buy a bunch of cards from now, in 30-40 years, they'll be worth something!" and then that mentality carried over a ton of collectibles, Beanie Babies being a prominent example.  In the trading card example, very few cards from the 90s are worth more than the paper they're printed on.  

I can't see this sustaining, as there are people buying up current sets as "investments" and trying to resell them later.  For some stuff, I think it's possible, but I highly doubt every single set is going to hold value in the future.

At some point, the bubble will burst.

There are some figs and sets that will always be valuable; chromes come to mind immediately, as do Rex and Thrawn tho they should become much less of an issue in the near future if Lego doesn’t drop the ball on TBB and Ahsoka. The 20th Ann Slave One, Kylo’s shuttle and Vader’s castle are all works of art that will rightfully appreciate in value. But so much of it is such a stupid false inflation mess. That one Lando figure, Bail Organa, Fulcrum…they’re the product of hype trains primarily. I cant wait for the inevitable crash so we can go back to business as usual. Hopefully the YouTube TM culture around Lego dies in the next few years, but it’ll never go back to the much more lowkey 2012 community and that sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of factors in what make a set valuable. If anything, it seems like older Lego Star Wars sets from 1999 - 2007 look to be slightly going down in value/stabilizing outside of odd ones (Cloud City). I think TCW sets will go down in value if Lego remakes a ton of those vehicles (AT-TE, LAAT, Venator) and as time goes on and people start to lose interest. Its a lot like Pokemon games, 1-2 generations become extremely expensive before dipping in value again once people lose interest or a remake comes out. As for figures, Rex, Thrawn, and the others will always be extremely valuable the more shows/comics/games they're in and the less sets they're available in. 

Spoiler

Just look at how Cad Bane suddenly exploded in value despite being in only two episodes 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

This seems like the 90s all over again when it comes to collectibles.  People realized at that time that "Hey, these rare baseball cards from the 50s are going for a lot of money, if I buy a bunch of cards from now, in 30-40 years, they'll be worth something!" and then that mentality carried over a ton of collectibles, Beanie Babies being a prominent example.  In the trading card example, very few cards from the 90s are worth more than the paper they're printed on.  

I can't see this sustaining, as there are people buying up current sets as "investments" and trying to resell them later.  For some stuff, I think it's possible, but I highly doubt every single set is going to hold value in the future.

At some point, the bubble will burst.

 

In 2000's, nobody was thinking on store legos to increase their profit.

I haver one example: I have a 7666. I thought: WOW, this LIMITED set will increase with time. It rose from $60 to $110. Then, stopped. New and better sets came, and made it obsolete. I even forget to sell the 7666. It is still in attic...

The 2000's sets were great. But do they worth more than they valued? NO way...

except from VERY RARE STUFF like Chrome Vaders, there is no reason for this bubble.

But it will not burst. It rises and keeps their top value, like my example. Inflation eats their value thru time. Bricklink is a very interesting market to observe thru time.

 

 

Edited by Mr Meleca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep the political and social stuff out of this. The point about more people buying luxury items is one thing, but the rest CERTAINLY does not belong here on Eurobricks.

And a reminder to everyone: if you see this sort of thing on Eurobricks, report it and don't engage.

Of course investing in LEGO isn't a sure thing, and you're not going to make a lot of money out of it unless you start to put a lot of time and resources in. Within Star Wars, there's almost always the risk that figures and models might be made obsolete by later, better ones, but in some cases it's a more sure thing that that won't occur, like P1 Commander Wolffe for example. To quote Jango: "we won't be seeing him again".

Doubling your money is pretty good in any setting though, even if the market price doesn't continue to rise beyond that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

There are some figs and sets that will always be valuable; chromes come to mind immediately, as do Rex and Thrawn tho they should become much less of an issue in the near future if Lego doesn’t drop the ball on TBB and Ahsoka. The 20th Ann Slave One, Kylo’s shuttle and Vader’s castle are all works of art that will rightfully appreciate in value. But so much of it is such a stupid false inflation mess. That one Lando figure, Bail Organa, Fulcrum…they’re the product of hype trains primarily. I cant wait for the inevitable crash so we can go back to business as usual. Hopefully the YouTube TM culture around Lego dies in the next few years, but it’ll never go back to the much more lowkey 2012 community and that sucks. 

What I’m pretty shocked by is the Shadow ARF Trooper. He’s going for a bundle right now. A few years ago he was going for a hell of a lot less. If I wasn’t so attached to my clone army, I’d consider selling mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

There are some figs and sets that will always be valuable; chromes come to mind immediately, as do Rex and Thrawn tho they should become much less of an issue in the near future if Lego doesn’t drop the ball on TBB and Ahsoka. The 20th Ann Slave One, Kylo’s shuttle and Vader’s castle are all works of art that will rightfully appreciate in value. But so much of it is such a stupid false inflation mess. That one Lando figure, Bail Organa, Fulcrum…they’re the product of hype trains primarily. I cant wait for the inevitable crash so we can go back to business as usual. Hopefully the YouTube TM culture around Lego dies in the next few years, but it’ll never go back to the much more lowkey 2012 community and that sucks. 

Yeah, I agree for sure.  Promotional stuff, chrome Vader/C-3PO (which were super limited to begin with) or stuff like Cloud City Boba/Lando that's old and exclusive, and seen entirely as a collectible piece, I can understand the value for.  However, just because something is "old" or "rare" doesn't mean it's valuable, which is where a lot of people seem to have a differing opinion from me. 

LEGO isn't a collectible in the same way that other collectibles are - it's not limited in its release.  For example, if you're into trading cards, you can't just walk into any old store and buy a rookie card of the hottest new player in the league, you need to buy packs and search it out, and it's going to typically be a lot more limited than your average card.  With LEGO, other than some UCS stuff, you can walk into any store that sells sets and find the same selection anywhere (perhaps with the exception of our friends in Australia, as their stock issues are apparently absurd).  Even though some stuff at release (Mando BP, 501st Troopers, etc) is rarer, after 6 months, they're everywhere.  A 501st Clone Troopers set is just as "rare" as a Millenium Falcon microfighter.  

My point is that, of course as stuff becomes older, sealed copies become more scarce, but that doesn't mean it's justifiable to pay hundreds of dollars for a battle pack just because it's sealed and was released 6 years ago.  And yes, I know it's a demand-driven thing, and people are (apparently) paying that much, but that doesn't mean I can't say it's dumb!  

And I fully agree about the culture, I've even seen some Instagram accounts that are talking about "LEGO investing" which is pretty much just them hoarding sets and then reselling for 3x the price as soon as they retire, which I can't see lasting either.  Everyone's going to have 50 sealed copies of Duel on Mandalore sitting around in 4 years and the market is gonna be flooded with them all going for $80 each.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

 Promotional stuff, chrome Vader/C-3PO (which were super limited to begin with) or stuff like Cloud City Boba/Lando that's old and exclusive, and seen entirely as a collectible piece, I can understand the value for.  However, just because something is "old" or "rare" doesn't mean it's valuable, which is where a lot of people seem to have a differing opinion from me.   

Well the thing is if your favorite character is Darth Vader you can find him in a set almost every year and buying his chrome figure would be an extra step to have a "luxury collectible" of your favorite character. On the other hand if your favorite character is Zeb, Pre Vizsla , Queen Amidala in her iconic dress or Tactical Droid you have no other choices than to buy their figures no matter the cost if you want your favorite character in your collection cause they came out in 1 set years and years ago. Your opinion is right this is dumb and insane, but this is strictly the issue of LEGO not remaking sought after stuff. Just look at Qui-Gon figure from 1999-2002 it's worth 3$ even though it's rare and old just cause we got 7 other figures of him after it. This is exactly why i don't see insane prices stopping anytime soon. Gar Saxon and Paz Vizsla will never be made again and their figures will be 60$ + in just a few years after the sets retire and if LEGO doesn't have something else to replace 501st set for phase 2 clone army builders as soon as 501st set retires people will be buying them for 2-3 times the price. There is a huge demand for so many things and people have no other choices than to hop on bricklink and buy old stuff pumping up the price higher and higher while LEGO is too buy making same sets over and over or focusing on helmets and brickbuilt characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Well the thing is if your favorite character is Darth Vader you can find him in a set almost every year and buying his chrome figure would be an extra step to have a "luxury collectible" of your favorite character. On the other hand if your favorite character is Zeb, Pre Vizsla , Queen Amidala in her iconic dress or Tactical Droid you have no other choices than to buy their figures no matter the cost if you want your favorite character in your collection cause they came out in 1 set years and years ago. Your opinion is right this is dumb and insane, but this is strictly the issue of LEGO not remaking sought after stuff. Just look at Qui-Gon figure from 1999-2002 it's worth 3$ even though it's rare and old just cause we got 7 other figures of him after it. This is exactly why i don't see insane prices stopping anytime soon. Gar Saxon and Paz Vizsla will never be made again and their figures will be 60$ + in just a few years after the sets retire and if LEGO doesn't have something else to replace 501st set for phase 2 clone army builders as soon as 501st set retires people will be buying them for 2-3 times the price. There is a huge demand for so many things and people have no other choices than to hop on bricklink and buy old stuff pumping up the price higher and higher while LEGO is too buy making same sets over and over or focusing on helmets and brickbuilt characters.

That's not really on TLG though. The collector market that will pay through the nose for individual figures like you say is much smaller than the kids' or even adult market (not necessarily minifig collectors) that makes up the bulk of their business.

I can see Gar and a few other figures recently going the same way as well. I'm not a figure collector by any means but I do hope the bubble bursts soon, if only to get the secondary market to chill a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty tired about that finch Dallow case and all that speculation on lego.


I wait now TLG to release a microfighter resistance bomber with Finch to burst that bubble :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished building the gunship :pir-yoda:

It’s good as is but there is room for improvement in the model. There’s a lot of unused space in the front and the missile belts could’ve been actual belts going into the wings. I’ve built a few of the more notorious UCS sets but this is by far the most fragile, lots of parts in the cockpit subassembly are poorly secured. The bubble turrets are flimsy too, they could’ve been attached to the body better with CCBS bones (or older Bionicle parts). A second set of removable doors would’ve been a welcome addition, I think this is the first modification I’m going to make. The large ball socket pieces used on the three smaller guns have poor clutch power. By far the biggest disappointment of the model is the big grey support beam in the middle of the cargo hold. A bulkier technic frame around the outside of the cargo bay would’ve provided enough support and any design concessions made in this regard would’ve been less intrusive than the beam. With the beam eliminated from the design there would’ve been adequate space for a speeder bike which would’ve perfectly complemented the gunship, especially if it included a similar information plaque. 

 

All said, still a very impressive display piece and was a fun building experience. I’ve left the stickers off of mine, I think I might keep it that way. The 2 minifigures are nice, love the burnt orange. I’m assuming Mace Windu would’ve been the most requested Jedi during the vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

That's not really on TLG though. The collector market that will pay through the nose for individual figures like you say is much smaller than the kids' or even adult market (not necessarily minifig collectors) that makes up the bulk of their business.

Yeah it's not all TLG even if they remake stuff so called investors will find some other figure/set and inflate it's price, but they would definitely break multiple bubbles very fast and end their bad practices. I can already see Mando Fighter retiring and group of people buying out every Gar Saxon on the market and then setting the price for him to 60$ and there will be people that will still buy it. I just don't see a way out of this mess. It will get worse and worse, i love resellers and i don't mind paying extra or double for old sets or figures, but we are at the point where 1 figure costs double than the entire set did. Like thrawn is 80$, set was 40$ just 3 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I might be in the minority but I don't think Maul needs the longer hilt. The lightsabre hilts are already basically as long as a figure's leg, and while I appreciate the scale is way out whack, I don't think the longer hilt would achieve anything other than looking slightly goofy.

I gave my maul figure the longer hilt (Dark bluish gray off bricklink), I like it. His lightsaber is already pretty long, the extra few millimeters off the hilt don't make a huge difference, but it looks kind of nice for him to have a different hilt.

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The bubble turrets are flimsy too, they could’ve been attached to the body better with CCBS bones (or older Bionicle parts). A second set of removable doors would’ve been a welcome addition, I think this is the first modification I’m going to make. 

Rumor has it the CCBS parts are being retired. The main CCBS bone hasn't been used since the last star wars CCBS in early 2018. And almost all the Bionicle parts are definitely gone, aside from maybe the Bohrok and Barraki eyes (which have just become standard system/technic parts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Rumor has it the CCBS parts are being retired. 

What a shame if true, the parts have so much potential.

Also, forgot to mention that the gunship is very back heavy and tends to lean backwards if it’s not on the stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.