MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, ginja said:

I queued midnight Leicester Square and built it over the next week or so. Wish I had waited as it took me 2 years to get a case, and so its dirty and stained and not perfect anymore. Was seriously tempted to buy a replacement. But I'm not that stupid.

You mean it’s discoloured? Has it been exposed to Much sunlight?

mine isn’t in a case And looks fine but this sort of thing makes me worry

1 hour ago, LDigital said:

You mean it’s discoloured? Has it been exposed to Much sunlight?

mine isn’t in a case And looks fine but this sort of thing makes me worry

Not massively. But. Dusty and smoking household. I just wish it was perfectly new. Its my own fault and I know it and know I'll be judged for it.

17 hours ago, KevinYoung said:

Overall a very nice set just needs more snot to it. 

And the red front view port needs some work.  The bottom side needs to be more angular.

I honestly don't understand the price of the AT-AT. £750. I get that this thing is huge, but it doesn't look any bigger than the Titanic set, and that is £570. 

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Totoro

2 minutes ago, Totoro said:

I honestly don't understand the price of the AT-AT. £750. I get that this thing is huge, but it doesn't look any bigger than the Titanic set, and that is £570. 

I never thought for a moment that it could end up being more than £650. 

this feels like excessive scalping to me. 

Just now, LDigital said:

I never thought for a moment that it could end up being more than £650. 

this feels like excessive scalping to me. 

I have to say, I thought the RRP was going to be £650, the same as the Falcon and the Star Destroyer. 

I know that Brexit happened and yada yada, but the RRP in the US is $800, the same as it was for the UCS Falcon, and that was £650. 

That AT-AT is a work of art, but I've no idea where I'd put the thing. Or how to afford it. Maybe it really is time to sell a kidney...

9 minutes ago, Totoro said:

honestly don't understand the price of the AT-AT. £750. I get that this thing is huge, but it doesn't look any bigger than the Titanic set, and that is £570. 

How does the mass/weight of plastic compare between the two? How does the number of different part types compare between the two?

Also, more to the point, the AT-AT has a new circular gear rack developed exclusively for the set. That will definitely drive up its cost.

Just now, NathanR said:

That AT-AT is a work of art, but I've no idea where I'd put the thing. Or how to afford it. Maybe it really is time to sell a kidney...

How does the mass/weight of plastic compare between the two? How does the number of different part types compare between the two?

Also, more to the point, the AT-AT has a new circular gear rack developed exclusively for the set. That will definitely drive up its cost.

Well, I don't have either set, but from what I have seen in videos, the Titanic is pretty densely packed inside, with the structure to hold it together and interior detailing. I imagine it must be pretty heavy. As for the AT-AT, I mean, the main body of it looks essentially a hollow cavity filled with minifig seating. I cannot imagine the AT-AT weighs anywhere close to what the Titanic does. But again, that's pure guessing. I have neither set. I would definitely be interested to know what the weight of both sets are. 

I just feel like, £750 is just a push too far. Like you, it's a question of how on earth to afford such a thing. £650 is already a push, but it feels like £750 is a push too far, unless there's very significant discounts at some point. 

11 minutes ago, NathanR said:

That's not the point people are getting at. It's the exchange between different countries prices. The falcon and this cost $800. But the UK price for this has leapt £100. This is a shock to me and is now putting me off a fair bit.

22 minutes ago, ginja said:

That's not the point people are getting at. It's the exchange between different countries prices. The falcon and this cost $800. But the UK price for this has leapt £100. This is a shock to me and is now putting me off a fair bit.

I feel exactly the same. This was a day 1 purchase for me but seeing the RRP compared to other markets strikes me as plain profiteering. No other set has had this kind of imaginary mark up that I know of. The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

the more I think about this the more mad it is making me

AT-AT is a beaut and I'll have to have it at some point

That being said I also don't know where to put it myself. I had an Ikea Besta shelf in mind but it turns out AT-AT is longer than I anticipated. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

We seem to get scr*wed time and time again by LEGO. 

UCS Falcon: $800, £650
UCS Star Destroyer: $700, £650
UCS AT-AT: $800, £750

34 minutes ago, LDigital said:

The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

That's insane. I didn't even realise that. I'm even madder now.

How to afford this kind of set?

The older I get, the less I see the value in owning a hundred middling moderately priced sets that don’t even look that good. So I basically buy a truly astounding, show-stopping set like this one every couple of years and it works out the same.

As the cliche goes, you can have anything (or almost), but you can’t have everything.

Am I drunk, but that Luke does not look exclusive as stated in the Solid Bricks review.  It looks like SW1139 to me.

The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

It's not as simple as exchanging dollars for euros or pounds. Different countries have their own import duties, tariffs, etc... and I would not be at all surprised if licensing fees vary from country to country as well. You even see this in different € prices across the EU nations, and those are all theoretically on a fairly level playing field. The UK opted out of the EU, so it's not at all surprising that your pricing is going to suffer when it comes to goods made by EU members, in EU factories.

I feel exactly the same. This was a day 1 purchase for me but seeing the RRP compared to other markets strikes me as plain profiteering. No other set has had this kind of imaginary mark up that I know of. The exchange rate for $800 right now is £590. I can understand them putting it at their standard £650 for added shipping cost but where the hell did the extra £100 come from. 

The opposite thing happened with the Falcon, which is €849 in NL from it's launch till now, which is a lot more then 650 pound even in 2017. (it was even €899 in Finland for some reason). 

The worst case of weird price differences I've seen was Star Wars 75203 set going for €50 here.  ($30 dollar , 35 pound)

Edited by TeriXeri

24 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It's not as simple as exchanging dollars for euros or pounds. Different countries have their own import duties, tariffs, etc... and I would not be at all surprised if licensing fees vary from country to country as well. You even see this in different € prices across the EU nations, and those are all theoretically on a fairly level playing field. The UK opted out of the EU, so it's not at all surprising that your pricing is going to suffer when it comes to goods made by EU members, in EU factories.

Ok let’s look at it another way. Titanic 9000 pieces is £180 less

millenium falcon ucs is £100 less with 800 more pieces. 

so what is the extra £100 for?

This is The Lego group getting in on that scalping action as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, LDigital said:

Ok let’s look at it another way. Titanic 9000 pieces is £180 less

millenium falcon ucs is £100 less with 800 more pieces. 

so what is the extra £100 for?

This is The Lego group getting in on that scalping action as far as I can see.

Fair, but price per piece (PPP) is not the whole story. Not all pieces are the same, so it's a flawed metric to measure cost. An okay approximation but an approximation only. Don't need to start up this debate again...

54 minutes ago, azanderk said:

Estoy borracho, pero Luke no parece exclusivo como se indica en la revisión de Solid Bricks. Me parece SW1139.

I must be drunk too ...

7 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Fair, but price per piece (PPP) is not the whole story. Not all pieces are the same, so it's a flawed metric to measure cost. An okay approximation but an approximation only. Don't need to start up this debate again...

I am all for premium sets but defending a pretty blatant price hike  like this within weeks of the titanic launching at £569 seems off to me

This is why we are inching closer to the first £1000 R.R.P Lego set.

you can compare, Weight, size, piece count, density, packaging size Or anything else to titanic and I can’t see any justification of this increased price.

It is either an obscene Star Wars tax or a built scalp.

I get that Lego is a business but this feels like they are pushing it just a little too far.