MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, Fuppylodders said:

I'm just wondering why marvel doesn't do that, and star wars feels the need to when there literally is sooo much more star wars to be tapped into. 

Marvel are kinda doing that though, with the "ninjago legacy" type Infinity Saga subtheme (would've loved a new Milano). 

I think it's because the Marvel sets are a lot more versatile. Once you have an Iron Man figure, it doesn't matter a lot what else is in the box along with him because that figure fits almost every context within the Marvel scene (I'm hypothesising, I'm not a massive Marvel fan). Whereas Star Wars, with its different eras, has characters undergoing huge changes of appearance, specific ships in certain surroundings... So every wave has to include some of the big icons, some recognisable ships, some key characters to keep relevant to the market at that time.

Some stuff like Rebels, Force unleashed... niche stuff will almost certainly never be revisited unless it is brought back into the public eye by new material. Mando probably sits right on the edge of this category too if we're honest. Will we see another system scale Razor Crest, ever? Doubtful?

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Kuiil...

Good timing that. See above Razor Crest comment. They really missed their window to get that character out into the wilds. Perfect candidate for CMF though.

24 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I may be in the minority here, but I can't help but sigh a little when we've just had one of the finest non OT waves in history and are still unhappy that we have some (still only) rumours that winter 2022 is going to include some OT. 

As someone, I don't remember who, on this fine forum once said... the PT, ST, EU, etc.... Are the icing on the cake of the OT. But they are not the cake.

I think it's more of a silent majority situation where most people are pretty happy with it but the people who dislike it are more vocal about it.

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Kuiil, the Client, Pershing, Cobb Vanth, and Ahsoka would like to have a word with you :tongue:

Really? I get some, but Ahsoka especially...it's not all that 'important' that we get a costume a character had in a single episode. Cobb a bit moreso because we haven't had him at all before, but still, he was in one episode. I really want a cobb figure, but he's not exactly as important as kuill or the client in terms of how integral they are.

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

...it's not all that 'important' that we get a costume a character had in a single episode

TLG seem convinced that we are gagging for Luke Skywalker with blue milk on his lip, so who knows.

Characters like the Client, though. The guy died in the show over a year ago. Will most of the market really care if we never get a figure for him? Or just us weirdos with our wish lists? Lucky Fennec escaped the same fate (I eat humble pie because I did say about 12 months ago that there was no chance of a Fennec minifig). I would say it's more likely that we'll get current, surviving characters like... Sasha Banks... no I can't remember her in-universe name. The summer wave has covered most of that.

I just realised I'm in the 2021 thread rather than the wishlist thread. Some mod is hovering over his delete button.  I'll stop now.

4 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Therefore regardless of their screentime, of which they still have tons compared to some of the troops Lego has given us, they should be made available in a $15-$30 set to from Bad Batch this year. 

I find it strange that they've only done the 501st troopers in the new helmet style. As @Kdapt-Preachersaid above, previously when they've revamped the clone prints, they've gone all in with different legions. I was expecting at least an Utapau set to complement the Gunship, especially with a single airborne trooper in Grievous' fighter. 

Hopefully the BB shuttle sells like hot cakes, and we get more related stuff along the pattern of the Mando releases. It seems to be sitting at £10 - 15 discount already in a few places though, never a great sign.

Edited by Redroe

25 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I would say it's more likely that we'll get current, surviving characters like... Sasha Banks... no I can't remember her in-universe name.

Koska Reeves

26 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Hopefully the BB shuttle sells like hot cakes, and we get more related stuff along the pattern of the Mando releases.

With a season 2 on the way, I'm sure we'll get more Bad Batch sets down the line. The Bad Batch shuttle is a nice place to start, but I doubt it's the end. After all, we still could use an Omega figure. 

50 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Kuiil, the Client, Pershing, Cobb Vanth, and Ahsoka would like to have a word with you :tongue:

Fair play on the Client, and tbh I honestly thought we'd had Kuiil already! We've had Ahsoka twice in the last twelve months so I don't think she's urgent.

Feel free to strip me of my Star Wars fan credentials, but I have no idea who Pershing is! Even after looking him up, I don't remember him.

15 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

If we're talking about the same scene, all the clones I can see on the ground there are 41st Elite Corps (the light grey markings just aren't very obvious in that lighting). The ones in the gunship behind Mace and Obi-Wan are an interesting case, because at the beginning of that scene (40:22 on the Disney+ version, for example) they seem to be plain, at least over the parts between their shoulders and knees; but by the time the gunship lands they're also 41st Elite. 

Haha touché, I knew it was intended to be the 41st, but I never noticed they had any coloration. Strike my first point about that scene out, then, and chalk up it up as another way Shinies could be used as a generic stand-in, I guess. (Gray is a surprisingly common color for Clones [41st, Wolfpack, Kamino Security, Sergeant Hound]).

I'd think most people wanting Shinies would want the others, too, with a bit of added motivation to 'speak it into existence' for that group specifically due to the Bad Batch hype. But yeah, all fair points on your part. Thanks for teaching me something about RotS.

3 hours ago, Redroe said:

TLG seem convinced that we are gagging for Luke Skywalker with blue milk on his lip, so who knows

To be fair that's a joke figure as a promo polybag for a video game (though it's still a bad choice as they totally could have done rebel friend..)

8 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

How does marvel manage to get sets to things sooo recent and relevant and star wars just gets trickles and scraps here and there, playing it safe often and going back to the OT for safety...? 

In addition to what others have already said, I think another factor is that until very recently, OT and whatever was new at the time were what Lego knew would sell (and even then the latter was not guaranteed). With Marvel, everything is a lot more connected, so there aren't really fans who will buy things from only a few specific films because they don't care for the others. I expect we'll see Lego diversify the Star Wars line more now that PT fans are adults and there are a lot of TV shows releasing.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To be fair that's a joke figure as a promo polybag for a video game (though it's still a bad choice as they totally could have done rebel friend..)

Rebel Friend would have been amazing, it's a tragedy we never got him. Sadly they probably realized Luke would sell better and just went with him, but it's unfortunate all the same.

1 hour ago, Meadius said:

In addition to what others have already said, I think another factor is that until very recently, OT and whatever was new at the time were what Lego knew would sell (and even then the latter was not guaranteed). With Marvel, everything is a lot more connected, so there aren't really fans who will buy things from only a few specific films because they don't care for the others. I expect we'll see Lego diversify the Star Wars line more now that PT fans are adults and there are a lot of TV shows releasing.

Rebel Friend would have been amazing, it's a tragedy we never got him. Sadly they probably realized Luke would sell better and just went with him, but it's unfortunate all the same.

I think the thing with Marvel is that while it's been around in comic form longer than Star Wars has, the OT had far more impact than they did. It's only with the advent of the MCU in the last 15 years that the Marvel universe has not only become a cultural phenomenon, the characters within have become much more widely known as a result. The upshot is that the OT had 20 - 40 years to cement itself within people's psyche as Star Wars without anything else, whereas Marvel in its current form (and what LEGO seems to use as reference the most) hasn't been around as long.

The blue milk Luke was less to tie in with the game and more to tie in with the LSW Holiday Special, the game delays scuppered those plans somewhat. I wonder what the production for those figures is like given the game is so far behind schedule - does the figure production get pushed back as well, or have they all been made already and are just sitting in a warehouse?

Pictures of the new Titanic are making the rounds. If that's releasing in a few weeks, and UCS AT-AT is releasing Black Friday, I'd expect pictures to begin circulating in a few weeks. :excited: I know many are getting appropriately excited for parts of the winter/spring wave, but I'm still pre-occupied with what I anticipate will be one of the greatest LEGO Star Wars sets of all time. I can't wait.

11 hours ago, Redroe said:

I may be in the minority here, but I can't help but sigh a little when we've just had one of the finest non OT waves in history and are still unhappy that we have some (still only) rumours that winter 2022 is going to include some OT. 

As someone, I don't remember who, on this fine forum once said... the PT, ST, EU, etc.... Are the icing on the cake of the OT. But they are not the cake.

There is plenty of PT stuff that has seen more re-releases over the years than some OT stuff. Spider droid vs TIE bomber, for example!

They have to keep everyone happy. 2021 has been a lovely year for fans of every era of Star Wars (ST fans maybe feeling a bit shortchanged). Early rumours for 2022 seem to promise more of the same. Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't mind a Blue Biscuit Kid minifigure, but ho hum.

While it looks to be an excellent OT wave the fact is most people want the new stuff that corresponds with stuff that came out or is coming out in 2022. Also just cause TLG does one good wave doesn't mean fans can't hope/ask for another. This shouldn't be a be happy with what you get situation cause there's a lot of new stuff that should be made that isn't and so people have every right to mention it. 

11 hours ago, Redroe said:

I find it strange that they've only done the 501st troopers in the new helmet style. As @Kdapt-Preachersaid above, previously when they've revamped the clone prints, they've gone all in with different legions. I was expecting at least an Utapau set to complement the Gunship, especially with a single airborne trooper in Grievous' fighter. 

Hopefully the BB shuttle sells like hot cakes, and we get more related stuff along the pattern of the Mando releases. It seems to be sitting at £10 - 15 discount already in a few places though, never a great sign.

I don't know if BB shuttle will sell well but I think we will get more sets regardless because it's a popular show that will get multiple seasons so it's gotta have some coverage. 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

You know, this comes up a lot, but I don't think it's justified. Plain white P2 troopers seem to have been virtually nonexistent under the Republic.....but if they're actually in the movie anywhere it's only for a fraction of a second  .... 

A qualitative approach doesn't translate well for something as subjective as lego sets. Luke's landspeeder is only in ANH for mere minutes, the AT-AP was in action for maybe just a minute in ROTS yet we've had many versions of both vehicles. A P2 white clone is so basic and baseline for any army that it's absence is mind boggling.

12 hours ago, Redroe said:

There is plenty of PT stuff that has seen more re-releases over the years than some OT stuff. Spider droid vs TIE bomber, for example!

They have to keep everyone happy. 2021 has been a lovely year for fans of every era of Star Wars (ST fans maybe feeling a bit shortchanged). Early rumours for 2022 seem to promise more of the same. Fingers crossed.

No, this has already been discussed extensively and an actual data point analysis was posted earlier this month. OT sets and variants have overwhelming and consistently come out in far greater numbers than PT sets overall. This is only worse when some technically "non OT" sets like the rogue one AT-ST is literally a OT set. The winter wave is not going to include "some OT" it's likely turning out to be the most OT wave we've had in a long time despite the constant number of OT sets throughout the years. PT sets are a strikingly low amount in comparison and the ones that do release are mostly a small handful of the usual re-releases. No one is asking for an entire wave of PT sets but it's more likely than not that the entire winter 2022 wave doesn't have any PT. The mace windu tank rumor is probably too good to be true so I'm not putting any hopes up for it

1 hour ago, Bobbtom said:

A qualitative approach doesn't translate well for something as subjective as lego sets. Luke's landspeeder is only in ANH for mere minutes, the AT-AP was in action for maybe just a minute in ROTS yet we've had many versions of both vehicles. A P2 white clone is so basic and baseline for any army that it's absence is mind boggling.

No, this has already been discussed extensively and an actual data point analysis was posted earlier this month. OT sets and variants have overwhelming and consistently come out in far greater numbers than PT sets overall. This is only worse when some technically "non OT" sets like the rogue one AT-ST is literally a OT set. The winter wave is not going to include "some OT" it's likely turning out to be the most OT wave we've had in a long time despite the constant number of OT sets throughout the years. PT sets are a strikingly low amount in comparison and the ones that do release are mostly a small handful of the usual re-releases. No one is asking for an entire wave of PT sets but it's more likely than not that the entire winter 2022 wave doesn't have any PT. The mace windu tank rumor is probably too good to be true so I'm not putting any hopes up for it

Well, I did say I was in the minority :laugh:. Interesting, I've not seen the analysis. Link me to it??

If it's more OT than winter 2021, then I'll be surprised (and happy. My wallet needs some relaxation). Only two non OT sets, one Mando, one 4+ ST? 

I think the PT argument gains traction when you consider what we haven't EVER got from the PT era, which outnumbers OT stuff hugely. Padme needs more love. 

Incidentally I maybe just don't know what I'm talking about because other than the Fett Palace rumour, and Dark trooper and Hoth BPs, and AT ST, I've not seen much rumoured stuff for 2022. 

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

Well, I did say I was in the minority :laugh:. Interesting, I've not seen the analysis. Link me to it??

If it's more OT than winter 2021, then I'll be surprised (and happy. My wallet needs some relaxation). Only two non OT sets, one Mando, one 4+ ST? 

I think the PT argument gains traction when you consider what we haven't EVER got from the PT era, which outnumbers OT stuff hugely. Padme needs more love. 

Incidentally I maybe just don't know what I'm talking about because other than the Fett Palace rumour, and Dark trooper and Hoth BPs, and AT ST, I've not seen much rumoured stuff for 2022. 

It's not TLG's fault that newer products are mostly OT rip offs instead of being new designs. What should they have done; bring out some naboo ship while the new movies with new/old X-Wings are running? I am pretty sure that the newer movies mearch would have made way more money with some PT style designs (more creative, different, colourful). But all Lego could do with the new movies was like "another alphabet wing, another small/big walker, another tank/speeder.

As for the lack of PT sets: this is an everlasting controversy - would be great if TLG officials could clarify this once. They did for SW Rebels 2-3 times and it was made pretty clear that they were huge flops. And this is coming from a guy who loves Rebels and the designs for the show were the PERFECT mix between new and old. But if there is similar trauma about EPII sets or bigger PT sets in general, then why not just accept the superior market for the OT?

Personally, of course the big naboo ship would be pretty neat and the lack of Padme figures is just a disgrace. I get that it's a boys market but since they can bring in General ol beard Dondanna or whatever, I'm sure they could throw in Padme in some of the sets.

Well, I did say I was in the minority :laugh:. Interesting, I've not seen the analysis. Link me to it?

It was actually in this thread a while ago. I tried to find the exact page but I'm not sure exactly when it was. I believe it was done around a week or two ago, so it's probably not too far back if you really want to dig for it.

45 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I get that it's a boys market but

Boys love Padme :laugh:

6 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

While it looks to be an excellent OT wave the fact is most people want the new stuff that corresponds with stuff that came out or is coming out in 2022. Also just cause TLG does one good wave doesn't mean fans can't hope/ask for another. This shouldn't be a be happy with what you get situation cause there's a lot of new stuff that should be made that isn't and so people have every right to mention it. 

I get that. I think 'most' is a bit of a generalisation but yes I see the demand for new stuff. My point was, 

I think looking at it in "waves" is misleading. They simply don't have enough sets in a single wave to keep everyone happy all the time especially as it does seem better to have a couple of related sets (X wing, Tie) released alongside each other. But if you look at the "year".... take 2021...

Three great OT remakes at affordable price point.

Kid friendly ST set.

Sought after Clone Wars characters in low to mid price sets.

A ton of Mando stuff.

Bad batch shuttle, brand new. 

Killer PT UCS ship.

Something for everyone right?

So maybe 2022 will keep that balance. Maybe even if winter is OT heavy, we'll get other stuff through the year. 

17 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Haha touché, I knew it was intended to be the 41st, but I never noticed they had any coloration. Strike my first point about that scene out, then, and chalk up it up as another way Shinies could be used as a generic stand-in, I guess. (Gray is a surprisingly common color for Clones [41st, Wolfpack, Kamino Security, Sergeant Hound]).

They're pretty hard to spot. There's an even subtler one in TCW, too, my favorite unit to trip people up with: the clone garrison on Orto Plutonia has markings that're just a slightly lighter white than the rest of their armor.

5 hours ago, Redroe said:

I assume they mean my post from 19 September here.

I'm here looking gloomily at my third bad Mando helmet print and wondering what can be done about it.
You know the problem. The visor is too low, giving the fig a long forehead and squashed "face". It's too consistently wrong to just be a misprint. The quality is nice and sharp, it's just in totally the wrong place. Compare it with Fett and it looks even worse.
This problem didn't plague the first run of this figure from Trouble on Tatooine. Just the recent run.
Has anyone had a perfect Din Djarin helmet from the summer line-up?

Interestingly, just realised that the position matches Paz Visla's helmet print perfectly. Now Visla's helmet looks quite different in show, it's squatter and more angular. Can it be that they've done a deliberate new print for Visla and lazily copied it over for Mando? If so why? They've done a new print for Fett and got that pretty well spot on!

Edited by Redroe

I'm here looking gloomily at my third bad Mando helmet print and wondering what can be done about it.
You know the problem. The visor is too low, giving the fig a long forehead and squashed "face". It's too consistently wrong to just be a misprint. The quality is nice and sharp, it's just in totally the wrong place. Compare it with Fett and it looks even worse.
This problem didn't plague the first run of this figure from Trouble on Tatooine. Just the recent run.

Interestingly, just realised that the position matches Paz Visla's helmet print perfectly. Now Visla's helmet looks quite different in show, it's squatter and more angular. Can it be that they've done a deliberate new print for Visla and lazily copied it over for Mando? If so why? They've done a new print for Fett and got that pretty well spot on!

I’ve got 5x silver Mando helmet, 1 from each set it is in. 3 of them are as you say, but 2 are normal.

In my copies of the sets, only the Trouble on Tatooine set had the higher visor position. All my sets from the summer wave onwards, even the forge and advent calendar, had the lower position.

I ordered two replacement helmets from customer service and both of them had the old, higher visor position instead. I suspect TLG is aware of the helmet error and is fixing it as a running change. So in the meantime, our best bet for getting fixed helmets is getting them directly from Lego for now.

9 hours ago, Redroe said:

Boys love Padme’s midriff

3 hours ago, Redroe said:

The only one that was “misprinted” for me was the one from the forge. Trouble on Tattooine, Slave I, Light Cruiser all fine. Don’t have the calendar yet. 

8 hours ago, Redroe said:

I get that. I think 'most' is a bit of a generalisation but yes I see the demand for new stuff. My point was, 

I think looking at it in "waves" is misleading. They simply don't have enough sets in a single wave to keep everyone happy all the time especially as it does seem better to have a couple of related sets (X wing, Tie) released alongside each other. But if you look at the "year".... take 2021...

Three great OT remakes at affordable price point.

Kid friendly ST set.

Sought after Clone Wars characters in low to mid price sets.

A ton of Mando stuff.

Bad batch shuttle, brand new. 

Killer PT UCS ship.

Something for everyone right?

So maybe 2022 will keep that balance. Maybe even if winter is OT heavy, we'll get other stuff through the year. 

Let's think of it a different way

OT: 3 remakes + 3 new sets + 2 Helmets + 1 Statue (Movies from 40+ years ago) + UCS AT-AT+GWP

ST: 1 set (Movie is from 2015)

PT: 1 UCS Gunship (Movie from 20 years ago)

New Media (2020-2021)

CW-7: 2 sets (Show aired 2020) + Ahsoka Brickheadz

The Mandalorian: 5 sets (Show aired 2019-2021)

BB: 1 set

Visions: None

While you're right there seems to be something for everyone it still doesn't make sense that the non-OT/new media (BB, Mandalorian S2, CW-7, Visions, and PT/ST) have 11 sets while the OT which is popular but not new gets 11 sets too. The marvel example isn't the greatest but it does show that new stuff that's relevant to new shows/movies is possible so its fair to want that. 

Also I'm not asking for 11 PT sets or anything close to it cause TLG and the OT purists would never go for that, but maybe we get 5 OT, 2 PT, 1 ST and the rest of the sets (maybe like 14-15) are new stuff. 

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

While you're right there seems to be something for everyone it still doesn't make sense that the non-OT/new media (BB, Mandalorian S2, CW-7, Visions, and PT/ST) have 11 sets while the OT which is popular but not new gets 11 sets too. The marvel example isn't the greatest but it does show that new stuff that's relevant to new shows/movies is possible so its fair to want that.  

Yes, because OT sets tend to sell better.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yes, because OT sets tend to sell better.

Compared to ST and PT then maybe but since we get so few of PT it's hard to actually get accurate numbers on that. However, compared to CW and Mando I don't think so. Until recently the Slave 1 and Mandalorian Fighter were sold out on shop at home and for its first few months, the Razorcrest and 501st BP were virtually extinct in stores and online. Sets from the new shows with desirable figures will sell like hotcakes compared to another AT-ST, even if it's a hoth version.