MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Nice to know they've changed the proportions to reflect the different model used in the film. I second the suggestion that Chewbacca should be a snowy variant.

4 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'd also imagine UCS stuff is harder to shuffle around, perhaps.  It seems like they can rush sets into production (the Razor Crest, for example, apparently wasn't entirely planned, and that set was revealed in February of 2020 and wasn't released until September of 2020, meaning that it still took likely a year to push that out, since Mandalorian premiered in September of 2019).  Or, another example, that fan vote poll was in January of 2020, if I remember correctly, and the set wasn't released for another 15 months or so.  I'd guess it's easier if they want to include a small, inexpensive set at the last minute, but something big like a UCS set is probably a lot more set in stone just because of the time it takes to design and produce it.

In regards to the AT-ST, it'd be cool if the Chewbacca were a snowy variant.

You're onto something here! Definitely can see that the larger sets liek U2C and large D2C taking even longer to develop, since they have to be stable enough sets. 

Based on what I've seen, any set seems developed as follows 

1. Idea Phase
  2. Design Phase
    1. Dream Design (designers make ultimate set, that then gets parsed down to the Price Point, or Piece Point of the set)
    2. Pare Down Design Phase
  3. Approval Phase
    1. Often would have engineering tests and redesign
  4. Production Phase 
  5. Release

I often think people forget it takes a village to make one set, and Lego is simply a corporation trying to maximize profits while minimizing costs. 

I have a hunch Lego U2C Landspeeder was one that was always thought to be made. I hope that is true for other items, like U2C Trade Federation Ship, MBS Endor Attack, etc. 

3 hours ago, bountybossk said:

Yeah... In your personal opinion. I also really hate the "nobody asked for this" comments. You probably didn't ask for a UCS Landspeeder. But guess what? There are probably a lot of people who like the idea. Enough for LEGO to turn it into an actual product.

I'm really interested in all of the rumored sets. Really looking forward to displaying the UCS AT-AT with the Hoth AT-ST and 1 or 2 of the Hoth Battle Packs.

I like the Creator Expert cars, UCS Landspeeder the same size could be really nice.

A UCS landspeeder which is a literal meme is quite a odd hill to die on

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Helmets and Landspeeder are April and May respectively, so it's a Spring wave. Also, we'll get only 2 of those 3 helmets.

So for now, the Winter wave is Hoth BP, Razor Crest MF and 18+ Hoth AT-ST. We'll definitely get more sets.

Well right now with just those 2 sets, it is not exactly a strong wave so far

Edited by LemonFlavouredBleach

1 minute ago, LemonFlavouredBleach said:

A UCS landspeeder which is a literal meme is quite a odd hill to die on

It can be both a meme and a desired set for many. Much like the A-wing the design of the landspeeder comes from Lucas' love of sports cars, albeit Luke's specific Landspeeder is old and beat-up. It is a slick car-like design and clearly cars are extremely popular 100-200$ lego models. It's not what I want to see for UCS sets, but it's far removed from being a "hill to die on".

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

It can be both a meme and a desired set for many. Much like the A-wing the design of the landspeeder comes from Lucas' love of sports cars, albeit Luke's specific Landspeeder is old and beat-up. It is a slick car-like design and clearly cars are extremely popular 100-200$ lego models. It's not what I want to see for UCS sets, but it's far removed from being a "hill to die on".

I mean, everyone has seen people moan and groan about the multiple land speeders Lego has made. I myself have seen people on this forum meme and joke about a UCS version. I really haven’t seen or heard people say a UCS version should be made either, that they would prefer any other UCS model. Overall, it is just tone deaf from Lego.

Just because it is iconic, does not mean it should be made

Nuclear take, the landspeeder is bloody hilarious, it'll look cool as hell and I'll probably buy one. Also, the ATST is going to be cool, we haven't had a normal imperial AT ST in a while. Honestly I'm moderately excited for next year. It's not incredible by any stretch of the imagination, and tbh last year's winter wave was better (the TIE is gorgeous and Luke's X Wing is on another level of internal engineering), but it's not atrocious either. 

Edited by hondohnaka

6 minutes ago, LemonFlavouredBleach said:

I mean, everyone has seen people moan and groan about the multiple land speeders Lego has made. I myself have seen people on this forum meme and joke about a UCS version. I really haven’t seen or heard people say a UCS version should be made either, that they would prefer any other UCS model. Overall, it is just tone deaf from Lego.

Just because it is iconic, does not mean it should be made

I suspect they keep making it because it keeps selling well. As Lego has stated repeatedly, children grow up and they have a new market for some sets. They clearly see the Landspeeder as a defacto set for this purpose that children would want. And apparently do want. Ironically, it's popularity has created the meme amongst AFOL's. 

I still don't expect it to be nearly as popular. But i'd have thought the Tantive IV would have been sold for longer than one year, and miffed i didn't buy it when it was on one of the rare Lego sales last year. 

50$ makes more sense for AT-ST. I was slightly interested cause i thought it could double as an Endor set with potential of 2 seats and more accuracy, but i guess they are different versions. Definitely a pass from me. 

Excited about minifigure pack and other set leaks though. 

18 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

I suspect they keep making it because it keeps selling well. As Lego has stated repeatedly, children grow up and they have a new market for some sets. They clearly see the Landspeeder as a defacto set for this purpose that children would want. And apparently do want. Ironically, it's popularity has created the meme amongst AFOL's. 

Adding to those points, SW is also rather limited in significant vehicles bigger than a speeder bike but smaller than an x-wing. Prices point exist, and the options at 20-30$ vehicles in the OT are snowspeeder, landspeeder, a-wing,… cloud car?, sky hopper?. 

PT has a few more options at that size but not a lot more. ST has a couple. 22 years of wanting to have cheaper “iconic” vehicles on the market will kind of dictate what gets remade. Even down sizing the TIE brought it to 40$

If the UCS Landspeeder is real, I’ll looking forward to the UCS Gonk Droid in October 22.

I think the Hoth wave is excellent news!

46 minutes ago, Archer said:

Adding to those points, SW is also rather limited in significant vehicles bigger than a speeder bike but smaller than an x-wing. Prices point exist, and the options at 20-30$ vehicles in the OT are snowspeeder, landspeeder, a-wing,… cloud car?, sky hopper?. 

PT has a few more options at that size but not a lot more. ST has a couple. 22 years of wanting to have cheaper “iconic” vehicles on the market will kind of dictate what gets remade. Even down sizing the TIE brought it to 40$

Yeah, and from what I can tell, price points are a fixed item. So i'd imagine the planning phase would involve someone stating an idea for a set, and then seeing what price point they'd want to best maximize profits.

21 minutes ago, HothFan1987 said:

If the UCS Landspeeder is real, I’ll looking forward to the UCS Gonk Droid in October 22.

I think the Hoth wave is excellent news!

Jang will be so happy for Gonk. 

Its funny how stirred up this UCS news is making some people, just vote with your wallet guys. I can’t wait to see the UCS landspeeder just to see the approach they take. I think some people with be surprised just how nice it ends up being. I am glad they are aiming at something new (for UCS).

A lot of the grumbling I am seeing is that the landspeeder is displacing their imaginary Venator, Slave 1 or Tie Advanced Remake that was never promised.

Edited by LDigital

I think the rumour of the new AT-ST set in the 2022 wave very is interesting, but I probably won't be buying one.

I've not long built a new & sealed 2016 AT-ST (75153), where I pre-ordered replacements for all the Technic parts that were brightly coloured with Dark Bluish Grey / Light Bluish Grey (as appropriate). I also modded the model to perfection with parts from my collection. I'm very happy with it indeed, it looks great next to my AT-AT (75288) on display! :classic:
I also have an AT-ST Raider (75254).

The UCS version of Luke's Landspeeder will be very cool & long overdue IMO, but it's not for me. I much prefer System scale sets for my collection.

I can't wait to see the rest of the 2022 Hoth wave though. 

This is going to be beating a dead horse, but If the hoth AT-ST does have longer legs than the endor one, then i'm going to be surprised since people likely only remember that the AT-ST is a vehicle with two legs and a head. Plus, the endor at-st can double for the hoth one :classic:

I can’t say I’m too excited for the Landspeeder - I don’t think it’ll be bad by any means but there are other ships/locations I’d have preferred. 

The minfigure packs sound really good.  

31 minutes ago, Bobbtom said:

This is going to be beating a dead horse, but If the hoth AT-ST does have longer legs than the endor one, then i'm going to be surprised since people likely only remember that the AT-ST is a vehicle with two legs and a head. Plus, the endor at-st can double for the hoth one :classic:

Really wish it was the endor one. I don't think anyone would complain, HOTH version was apparently only in the shot for few seconds. I might be wrong though i don't like ot.

16 hours ago, The Stud said:

I thought the rumor was that they were in the process of hiring one, not that they already had one employed. Could be wrong about that though.

I might be wrong but I thought they just hired someone, and they were just keeping them confidential.

14 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

As for the accessory set, it's just a lamer version of a Battle Pack - unless it doesn't include generic army builders, but some actual characters. In that case, it'll be a lovely addition.

There are a couple differences:
Usually it's a couple figs with no new prints or anything and then one exclusive figure, but the higher comparative budget could impact that.

The other difference is that usually the builds are multiple small bits (I'm thinking the FFH and new batman ones specifically), as opposed to one build like battle packs usually have.

14 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I'd say CW and Mando haven't got as many sets as they should have considering the Winter stuff from this year was almost entirely OT. Endor deserves more sets but it's a nearly 40-year old movie and isn't as iconic as its predecessor so it won't get as many as it's neither as iconic nor new media.

I making a Landspeeder and not more prequels UCS sets. There are far more iconic vehicles with more screentime and far more relevancy like an ARC-170 or Venator. If the Gunship sales are the reason for no prequel sets until 2023 then shouldn't the same process be applied to OT UCS? NO, because one sets of sales shouldn't dictate whether 3 films worth of content get UCS treatment. 

1. Yeah, most winter stuff was OT, and most summer stuff was CW/Mando. You can't just exclude half the data set...

2. Yes, the same process has been applied to OT UCS for about 20 years....? In general, a company makes a product if it knows it's going to sell well. Lego would not continue making OT UCS if they weren't selling, just like they killed off SW constraction and action battles.

50 minutes ago, Bobbtom said:

This is star wars fans you're on about here. Theeeee most nit picky Eagle eyed detail sniper scrutinisers the world has ever seen :laugh:

For me, the Hoth one deserves to be different (because it is) and giving the endor one to us as a Hoth variant would be akin to calling a yellow Clone commander a pilot :snicker: (we know how well that went down :tongue:

18 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Really wish it was the endor one. I don't think anyone would complain, HOTH version was apparently only in the shot for few seconds. I might be wrong though i don't like ot.

True it was only a few blurry seconds. And, I may be mistaken, but, I think.... In the original non-remastered version, it wasn't even in the film originally. I think it was added in later (unless that was the imperial landing craft? Or it was the ILC and the Hoth atst getting added in the digital remake? Someone please jump in here) 

Either way, I'm absolutely stoked to hear it'll be the actual Hoth variant. Given minifig sizing and the fact squeezing 2 minifigs in a normal atst which has a slightly larger head, I see absolutely no issue at all with them omitting a second seat position. It can likely be modified to have one if absolutely necessary, but for me, it'll be an absolute acceptable compromise. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

The AT-ST set sounds more enticing now but being the best set in a wave this mediocre really isn't saying much. Hopefully the Probe Droid is a solid build. If there's one Hoth set I've actually wanted to see get made, it's Han and Chewie vs the Imperial Probe Droid since we've never gotten a decent minifig-scale build of one. Still, if I had a choice, I would have vastly preferred getting a proper FO AT-ST as I really like the changes to the design and it would give LEGO a chance to redeem themselves for one of, if not the worst, LEGO Star Wars set ever made.

Edited by ToaDraco

25 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I wouldn't complain about an RotJ one, per se, but I'm certainly happier to hear that it's the ESB version. The RotJ version has already appeared in four regular sets and a UCS (counting the Rogue One set, since that's identical to the RotJ model). Sure, the ESB version isn't as famous, but it's better to have the variety given that there's no shortage of the RotJ one. They're similar enough that people who don't already know won't notice or care, and the people who do know the difference will, I expect, generally be glad they got it right.

5 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

True it was only a few blurry seconds. And, I may be mistaken, but, I think.... In the original non-remastered version, it wasn't even in the film originally. I think it was added in later (unless that was the imperial landing craft? Or it was the ILC and the Hoth atst getting added in the digital remake? Someone please jump in here)

No, the AT-ST was always in the movie. You may be thinking of the Sentinel-class landing crafts that were added to Tatooine in the Special Edition of ANH.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

21 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

The AT-ST set sounds more enticing now but being the best set in a wave this mediocre really isn't saying much. Hopefully the Probe Droid is a solid build. If there's one Hoth set I've actually wanted to see get made, it's Han and Chewie vs the Imperial Probe Droid since we've never gotten a decent minifig-scale build of one. 

What about the probe droid in 75014? That seemed good to me, as a minifig scale version. Given we will be getting a probe droid and chewie in the same set, that's 66% of your wish right there! Just bricklink the Hoth han polybag and you're golden :) 

*edit @Kdapt-Preacher@Kdapt-Preacher

Yes, the sentinel, that's the one I meant (when I said ILC) 

And ahh, thanks for the clarification :thumbup:

Edited by Fuppylodders

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Add the V35 speeder which is now in the Cantina - add 2-3 great new figures to it, use a different paint scheme (black) and that could sell.

Are banthas counting as vehicles ? New mold for bantha is long overdue - 2 banthas , some sand people and something the banthas will drag behind

But yes, the list of vehicles in this pricepoint is small, so move to buildings maybe ?

10 hours ago, Brickroll said:

What do you mean by that?

The FO stormtroopers, with the exception of pauldrons and the belts which have already been represented as printed, don't really have anything you could really accessorise them with. Supposedly you could, but I feel that these packs would be much more valuable if they were clone or OT-based, for the purposes of MOCing and getting new and interesting parts. ST figures are, after these few years, much more accessible so from a collection standpoint I feel they wouldn't be as desirable either.

The Hoth AT-ST sounds pretty decent :thumbup: Between this and the Hoth Scout Trooper, one could think that they initially wanted to release some ROTJ sets before changing their minds, but keeping the set ideas :laugh_hard: Good thing there aren‘t any Hoth Ewoks