MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I'm positive it's going to be a good set. It really will be interesting to see what they do with it and how. It'll be a good set to look at. Just not my cup of tea for spending £170 :def_shrug: ill be happy enough to go into a TLG store, have a ganders at it for free, and happily buy something else.

I'd rather get a modular (but I also still need to get the RGS because favourite PT ship, and to show support).

Although, I'll still likely be recovering from them ripping my wallet off me from the hoth wave. It'll all balance out I'm sure. 

4 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

There are far more iconic vehicles with more screentime and far more relevancy like an ARC-170 or Venator. 

For Star Wars fans (where SW is their main franchise of choice, I agree, and I'd love an ARC170 especially. However if you lined those three vehicles in front of your average Joe (i.e. has seen the movies but doesn't consume any other SW content) and asked them to pick out the most recognisable, I'd wager that the landspeeder would come up trumps because it's far more prominent in the films. Both the ARC and the venator got a few seconds of screentime at the start of RotS, normally in the background. The landspeeder was a bit more prominent and was the only vehicle on screen in multiple shots. That's my two pennies on iconicity, and probably why this has come up before either of those two.

13 hours ago, LemonFlavouredBleach said:

The Wave for winter so far:

Hoth Battle Pack

Hoth AT-ST

3 helmets

UCS Landspeeder

Not exactly a strong wave.

Yeah... In your personal opinion. I also really hate the "nobody asked for this" comments. You probably didn't ask for a UCS Landspeeder. But guess what? There are probably a lot of people who like the idea. Enough for LEGO to turn it into an actual product.

I'm really interested in all of the rumored sets. Really looking forward to displaying the UCS AT-AT with the Hoth AT-ST and 1 or 2 of the Hoth Battle Packs.

I like the Creator Expert cars, UCS Landspeeder the same size could be really nice.

Seeing as Promobricks says that the article with "detailed set descriptions" will be out tomorrow, we'll probably learn about all the January sets, and maybe even more 1HY sets.

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Seeing as Promobricks says that the article with "detailed set descriptions" will be out tomorrow, we'll probably learn about all the January sets, and maybe even more 1HY sets.

Exciting! Liking the first rumors, but some more diversity in sets (Boba/Mando, PT and CW) would be welcome.

5 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I hope its not, and hopefully it is geared towards clones, rebels and stormtroopers, as you cannot really accessorise ST era figures.

What do you mean by that?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a SW accessory pack. Since those always have at least 1 or two exclusive prints, they actually have a higher chance of including something new, compared to the BPs even :tongue: 

Any chance P2 Cody enthusiasts finally get their wish with one of these rumored SW accessory packs?

Edited by mirkwoodspiders
Spelling

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

For Star Wars fans (where SW is their main franchise of choice, I agree, and I'd love an ARC170 especially. However if you lined those three vehicles in front of your average Joe (i.e. has seen the movies but doesn't consume any other SW content) and asked them to pick out the most recognisable, I'd wager that the landspeeder would come up trumps because it's far more prominent in the films. Both the ARC and the venator got a few seconds of screentime at the start of RotS, normally in the background. The landspeeder was a bit more prominent and was the only vehicle on screen in multiple shots. That's my two pennies on iconicity, and probably why this has come up before either of those two.

I do wonder though... Your statement would be entirely correct with solid foundation, about 10-15 years ago. But now? We've gone through and had the PT. We've now also had the ST. People who are of an average fan level, would have grown up alongside the OT *and* PT, and also, now the ST. So, what makes the landspeeder more iconic than any other (non iconic) vehicle? You say it's far more prominent in the films. (totally do correct me if I'm wrong here) The landspeeder was barely used in the OT. It saw more use on the other films and spinoff films, to which also means the other vehicles from those films also compete for iconicity. Back when only OT existed, sure, everything was new and iconic in their own right. PT provided an entire new style of vehicles iconic in their own right, but, foreshadowed by OT still. Anyone that's growing up with all 3 trilogies? Landspeeder is just a tiny backdrop thing that doesn't bare much of a second glance kinda thing. 

I think in the modern day casual average star wars fan, the landspeeder is farrrrrrr down the list of iconic vehicles because sooo much more choice and interesting things during pinnacle moments than a quick trip across a desert to skip to the next scene... And so it's still riding off the original success and fans of the OT rather than casual Joe fan. 

All just my opinion though. 

Also, given the new minifig accessory packs... How does that play out to the whole 'can't do star wars cmf due to licencing' thing? Hate to beat a dead donkey but I can't remember if that really was due to licencing or they just don't want to and choose not to... If the former... Surely its pushing the boundary? 

Edited by Fuppylodders

4 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Any chance P2 Cody enthusiasts finally get their wish with one of these rumored SW accessory packs?

Eh, they usually don’t include new molds so I wouldn’t count on it. Cody requires a new mold for the helmet, which I believe is just one of many reasons he wasn’t included in the Gunship.

I’ve seen a lot of people on the inter-webs saying we should have gotten a UCS Venator rather than a UCS Landspeeder. There is absolutely no way those things would have sold for the same price point, so it’s not like the Landspeeder is taking the spot of what could have been a UCS Venator. The bigger UCS sets, like a Venator would be, come out in the second half of the year anyway.

I wonder if this minifigure pack will be tied to new or old media. Hopefully not anything Hoth related if it’s the latter but it would be nice if it was Book of Boba Fett related. It could give people a cheap way to get Boba and Fennec and then throw in an exclusive figure or two and you got yourself a hot seller. The build could even be the throne Boba takes in Jabba’s Palace. Whatever this set turns out to be, I’m excited to see what the first modern Star Wars Minifigure Accessory Set ends up being.

2 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Whatever this set turns out to be, I’m excited to see what the first modern Star Wars Minifigure Accessory Set ends up being.

Until it's: Farm boy Luke, Aunt Beru and C3PO for $15USD :laugh:

These packs COULD be great! Fingers crossed!

24 minutes ago, AusChris said:

Until it's: Farm boy Luke, Aunt Beru and C3PO for $15USD :laugh:

These packs COULD be great! Fingers crossed!

More like Farmboy Luke, R2-D2, and C-3PO!

I know you were making a joke, but Aunt Beru is actually a highly desired figure. Many would be enthusiastic about her being in a $15 set.

42 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I do wonder though... Your statement would be entirely correct with solid foundation, about 10-15 years ago. But now? We've gone through and had the PT. We've now also had the ST. People who are of an average fan level, would have grown up alongside the OT *and* PT, and also, now the ST. So, what makes the landspeeder more iconic than any other (non iconic) vehicle? You say it's far more prominent in the films. (totally do correct me if I'm wrong here) The landspeeder was barely used in the OT. It saw more use on the other films and spinoff films, to which also means the other vehicles from those films also compete for iconicity. Back when only OT existed, sure, everything was new and iconic in their own right. PT provided an entire new style of vehicles iconic in their own right, but, foreshadowed by OT still. Anyone that's growing up with all 3 trilogies? Landspeeder is just a tiny backdrop thing that doesn't bare much of a second glance kinda thing. 

I think in the modern day casual average star wars fan, the landspeeder is farrrrrrr down the list of iconic vehicles because sooo much more choice and interesting things during pinnacle moments than a quick trip across a desert to skip to the next scene... And so it's still riding off the original success and fans of the OT rather than casual Joe fan. 

I agree that in the grand scheme of things, it's nowhere near an X-wing or TIE fighter in terms of recognition. Compared to the two vehicles mentioned though, I think it is. Its close association with the protagonist helps (it's pretty much Luke's only way of getting around Tatooine, at least that he uses on screen). In contrast, the Venators and ARC-170s mostly play a supporting role to the main characters in that scene in RotS (I'm assuming that most people won't have watched TCW), and even then there isn't really any direct interaction between the main characters and the Venators. The further removed from the protagonists a thing is, the less likely Joe Bloggs will remember it, IMHO.

Sticking with RotS, I'd say the landspeeder is on about the same level as the Eta-2 Jedi Starfighters, which is reflected in the number of playscale sets they've had - it doesn't scream Star Wars in the same way the Millennium Falcon or a Star Destroyer would, but I think most people will recognise them. The difference is that there are at least four unique colourways for those, so they may not feel as repetitive as the landspeeder. Hopefully that will be our next prequel UCS.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

If you're LEGO and you have zero current data on how much true sales demand there is for PT material in the UCS line, it makes perfect sense to wait and see how your PT UCS set does. Will a fan vote translate into strong sales? Will the UCS buying landscape truly have changed significantly from ten years ago? As a company run for profit, this is something they'd want to find out. That doesn't necessarily mean the ENTIRE decision to make more PT material is riding on the Gunship's sales, but it would be a factor.

It’s also worth noting that this set has probably been in the works for quite a bit of time.  At least from what I understand, it seems as though their set lineup is decided a year in advance, or maybe even more.  So, if that’s the case, this was probably planned before they had any idea on the sales data for the Gunship.

13 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Sticking with RotS, I'd say the landspeeder is on about the same level as the Eta-2 Jedi Starfighters, which is reflected in the number of playscale sets they've had. The difference is that there are at least four unique colourways for those, so they may not feel as repetitive as the landspeeder. Hopefully that will be our next prequel UCS.

There have been 6 playscale Luke's Landspeeders, 4 stand alone, and 9 playscale ETA Jedi Interceptors, 6 stand alone. I'm actually impressed as the landspeeder seems over produced but 4 standalone landspeeders in 22 years is not too many,

Edited by Archer

In one swift move, LEGO will crush the aftermarket with a minifigure accessory pack consisting of Phase 2 Rex, Darth Revan and Cloud City Boba.

1 minute ago, Archer said:

There have been 6 playscale Luke's Landspeeders, 4 stand alone, and 9 playscale ETA Jedi Interceptors, 6 stand alone. 

At least the Eta 2s were different colors.

8 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

and wow - I didn't know about the Vader vs. A-Wing price. That set was a huge flop, as far as I'm aware of and anywhere I was, was like 50% off. If you are interested, PM me. I didn't find time so far to sell my versions (though they are modified into being almost studless and colour consistant).

The issue with that st is it has the printed TIE dish  18675pb01 which by itself is 20+ eur part

Im afraid, that the Accessory packs will be just a way to put inflation on the Battlepacks. The Harry Potter one is 15eur - the same as a battlepack, but has only 4 figs and few bricks.

57 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

It’s also worth noting that this set has probably been in the works for quite a bit of time.  At least from what I understand, it seems as though their set lineup is decided a year in advance, or maybe even more.  So, if that’s the case, this was probably planned before they had any idea on the sales data for the Gunship.

Yes, sets are planned, often, 2 years before they are released. It's why one of the designers talked about what non-licensed themes were continuing in 2023. 2022 Lego sets are largely written in stone and in production phase at this point. I'd imagine if sales have been good on the Gunship already, they may be in discussions NOW about 2023 and 2024 PT sets, especially PT USC sets. 

8 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I hope its not, and hopefully it is geared towards clones, rebels and stormtroopers, as you cannot really accessorise ST era figures. Hopefully if there are named characters they are minor ones, such as imperial or rebel officers, and maybe less significant CW-era figures. I hope these aren't online exclusives as they will sell out quickly, especially if there are desirable massable figures

The packs are normally exclusive to Shop@Home and certified Lego stores. This really isn't the kind of set you'd want to be building armies with. If you thought scoring a copy of the 501st Clone Battlepack was hard, getting one of these will become near impossible.

Promobricks updated the AT-ST info. It is NOT 18+, is $50, 3 minifigures (Pilot, Chewbacca, and Hoth Rebel) and a Imperial Search Droid, 

Edited by Prometheus87

4 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Promobricks updated the AT-ST info. It is NOT 18+, is $50, 3 minifigures (Pilot, Chewbacca, and Hoth Rebel) and a Imperial Search Droid, 

Darn, I was really excited for this one to be 18+. Still might pick it up but this does lessen the excitement for me. 

6 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Makes sense. I was wondering why they would do UCS and mini UCS sets at the same time.

If it’s different enough from the Rogue One model, which it sounds like it is, then I might pick it up.

17 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Yes, sets are planned, often, 2 years before they are released. It's why one of the designers talked about what non-licensed themes were continuing in 2023. 2022 Lego sets are largely written in stone and in production phase at this point. I'd imagine if sales have been good on the Gunship already, they may be in discussions NOW about 2023 and 2024 PT sets, especially PT USC sets. 

I'd also imagine UCS stuff is harder to shuffle around, perhaps.  It seems like they can rush sets into production (the Razor Crest, for example, apparently wasn't entirely planned, and that set was revealed in February of 2020 and wasn't released until September of 2020, meaning that it still took likely a year to push that out, since Mandalorian premiered in September of 2019).  Or, another example, that fan vote poll was in January of 2020, if I remember correctly, and the set wasn't released for another 15 months or so.  I'd guess it's easier if they want to include a small, inexpensive set at the last minute, but something big like a UCS set is probably a lot more set in stone just because of the time it takes to design and produce it.

In regards to the AT-ST, it'd be cool if the Chewbacca were a snowy variant.

Edited by Kit Figsto

Alright, that actually sounds pretty cool. Bummer that it's not 18+ tho.

Promobricks confirmed that it looks different than the others as it's based on the Hoth version - longer legs and cannons, closed "eyes" etc.

50€ for 586 pieces sounds like a great deal too. Minifigure selection sounds pretty bland unfortunately, but after all it's Hoth, no matter who they'd choose it wouldn't be even slightly exciting...

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN