MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I’ve been seeing a ton of comments in insta and Reddit saying this took up a space for Slave One, including MandR. Did I miss something?

The MBS cantina is an impressive set and I thoroughly enjoyed the build, but will be disappointed if the next MBS is also from Tatooine. There's so many more locations such as endor, naboo, coruscant, that would make fantastic builds. If the UCS landspeeder really is a thing I could see a MBS lars homestead released at the same time..

6 minutes ago, wesker said:

For me it was the 18+ Darth Vader's Meditation Chamber set. Could definitely see them doing the homestead entry hut on a black display stand with a small sand dune for the Binary Sunset scene.

I was going to say the same, but there are too many different spots we see at the Homestead to make that truly convincing. There's the main hut itself for which we never clearly see the interior, then the whole outdoor sunken section, and the dining room with the memorable ceiling. Plus little bits of the interior like the kitchen and where Luke talks to 3PO and R2. Just a little piece on a black stand wouldn't really cut it, but better than nothing.

The more I think about it, the more an MBS set that includes everything and both the PT and OT cast of characters sounds like the best way to represent it all, but this is getting into wishlisting now and way off topic.

10 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

I’ve been seeing a ton of comments in insta and Reddit saying this took up a space for Slave One, including MandR. Did I miss something?

I think its that people are mad because the UCS Slave 1 is skyrocketing in value and we're getting ready to have an entire show based off Boba Fett, so they want a re-release. Honestly I'd rather have Luke's Landspeeder over another UCS Boba Slave 1. 

32 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

One thing I'm wondering: the instagram post from promobricks where the rumor originated says, "Check out promobricks.de for detailed set descriptions!" However, as of my typing this post, I still find no rumor story posted to the promobricks.de website. Is that normal?

And, as with every set, I'll wait to decide until I see a UCS Landspeeder to make a call on it. Could be pretty cool, who knows.

If you look at their story, they say it will be coming tomorrow 

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

A big properly detailed Luke's Landspeeser doesn't sound bad, but $200 seems overboard. You could make a nice big model of it for $100 or $150. I suppose UCS necessarily equals a minimum price point now though, since the last time they did a $100 UCS it was disastrous.

But like some have said, the leaked info has been getting slightly sketchier. We had a Delorean that turned out to be a Pickup Truck, Peach's Castle which turned out to be the N64 Block, etc. Maybe this is an MBS Lars Homestead that includes a Landspeeder.

On another point, if they truly are waiting on sales figures from the Gunship before greenlighting more prequel UCS sets, it'd make sense that we wouldn't see another one until 2023 if the Gunship is successful. Even if they have some sketch models kicking around, it takes time to ready things and get them into production.

This is true, now that I think about it getting 1hy d2c info this early out is kind of suspicious. Plus didn't a report come out that they recently hired a leak sniper? It might be too early in their employment, but this could be the first bit of info we're getting.

35 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

I'm hoping it's the somewhat reasonable "we could have had something good like slave one but instead they chose the landspeeder" (which is still not entirely correct as it's the $200 1hy spot and a UCS slave one would not have worked that well when the last one was $250 6 years ago). There's no way that the 1hy d2c spot was originally meant for a UCS slave one, the last model of which was $250, when the past what, 5 years have been $200 d2cs?

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

This is really tone-deaf cause it's not like ROTJ came out last year and Lego's not making sets; it's nearly 40 years old. CW, Mandalorian, and BB all came out relatively recently and haven't gotten nearly as much love as OT sets. Also, I really like Hoth so I'm incredibly happy with this wave but the release window it's happening in is bad cause we've had so much new SW media that going back to ESB is illogical. 

Also, now exaggeration is allowed but not aimed at Lego because the multi-billion dollar corporation and its designers who don't read or care about this forum will be fired. I promise you Lego will not fire anyone cause user671829828 said he was upset over a Lego leak in a youtube comment section; so no need to constantly defend them and take everything literally. 

One could argue that CW and mandalorian both got a solid amount of sets for shows (you especially don't have to worry about mando since it's got 10+ sets and the only leaked non-18+ set is a mando one...), whereas Endor, one of the 3 most iconic locations, hasn't had a set for what, 8 years? I agree we need more BB sets, but none of the playscale sets have leaked yet. Were you expecting a hunter helmet or UCS marauder?

also...was exaggeration not allowed? what? My point is how ridiculous people are being about this that they're legitimately saying people should be fired over accidentally saying a set was from the wrong movie (and more reasonably that they said that two yellow clones were somewhat interchangable, but seriously, it's a guy's job...). And if you read the post you qouted, I stated a ton of different things I think lego did wrong. I'm "defending" them because the attacks are ridiculous- the wave is awful because the couple of leaked sets aren't prequel ones, the designers should be fired over saying something in a video, etc.

STAR WARS MINIFIGURE PACK! These usually are re-uses of 2-3 figs with one exclusive fig and some small playscale builds, but lego star wars has a higher budget, so we'll see.

12 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

There's no way that the 1hy d2c spot was originally meant for a UCS slave one, the last model of which was $250, when the past what, 5 years have been $200 d2cs?

UCS Slave I was $200. I don't think it "took its spot", but its worth mentioning that

At this point releasing a UCS Landspeeder is like ripping off a band-aid: it's something that should be released imo, but whenever it happened a fountain of memes and chorus of complaints was bound to follow, so better get it over and done with. It's an instantly recognisable vehicle that actually hasn't appeared in UCS form before and is deserving of a slot in the UCS line-up. Outside of the social media bubbles it ought to do well. I kind of get why some people don't want a UCS Landspeeder, I mean ever since the XP-38 came out...

For the wave as a whole (so far), as others have said the last few winter waves have been a bit 'safe'. My personal theory is that the release schedules of new SW media and when they are in development - and therefore when TLG gets promo images and such to begin their own development cycle - aligns better with the summer waves, so we see more of the newer models from the recent (and upcoming) shows then and the winter waves becomes a bit of a fall back on ol' reliables.

I am genuinely happy with the UCS Landspeeder. Even i can recognize the vehicle and i haven't watched episode 4 for more than 10 years. I am more into downscaled or minifigure scaled vehicles, battle packs and playsets myself so getting oversized things from trilogy i hate for a big price seems perfect cause i don't have to waste 200$+ to get figures from them. Same way with OT helmets, bring them on LEGO, make every single OT character in helmet form, and then update them all every few years when new pieces come out, i will never complain and you have my full support. I will also fake compliment people that have them so they get more.

46 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

At this point releasing a UCS Landspeeder is like ripping off a band-aid

. Outside of the social media bubbles it ought to do well. I kind of get why some people don't want a UCS Landspeeder, I mean ever since the XP-38 came out...

I completely agree, it is important to remember the UCS sets have to appeal to a wider market than the hardcore SW fanbase and Lego fanbase. The landspeeder is just as recognisable, if not more, than the A Wing, Y wing and many imperial vehicles which have been allocated UCS sets, and, as has been described, it could be a very functional and aesthetically pleasing model which will generate interest. It is also important to remember that we cannot judge what consumers want based on the small section of the Lego Star Wars community, often the more vocal opinions will be from PT era fans, simply as the generation who will frequent online areas more often, when much of the broader appeal of a Landspeeder UCS set lies with older fans who have more nostalgia for the older movies. Additionally the landspeeder, despite only being in one movie, had very memorable scenes in which it was shown in great detail, and had a much broader audience than much of the current SW content.

I am not sure why the landspeeder is much more despised from an OT vs PT standpoint when we otherwise could have got another TIE or something else OT related, when the landspeeder could very well be, and probably will be, a much more aesthetically appealing and functional set. The target demographic is different from those who purchase the constant stream of system scale landspeeders which don't really do the landspeeder justice.

1 minute ago, Stuartn said:

I completely agree, it is important to remember the UCS sets have to appeal to a wider market than the hardcore SW fanbase and Lego fanbase. The landspeeder is just as recognisable, if not more, than the A Wing, Y wing and many imperial vehicles which have been allocated UCS sets, and, as has been described, it could be a very functional and aesthetically pleasing model which will generate interest. It is also important to remember that we cannot judge what consumers want based on the small section of the Lego Star Wars community, often the more vocal opinions will be from PT era fans, simply as the generation who will frequent online areas more often, when much of the broader appeal of a Landspeeder UCS set lies with older fans who have more nostalgia for the older movies. Additionally the landspeeder, despite only being in one movie, had very memorable scenes in which it was shown in great detail, and had a much broader audience than much of the current SW content.

I am not sure why the landspeeder is much more despised from an OT vs PT standpoint when we otherwise could have got another TIE or something else OT related, when the landspeeder could very well be, and probably will be, a much more aesthetically appealing and functional set. The target demographic is different from those who purchase the constant stream of system scale landspeeders which don't really do the landspeeder justice.

Exactly: at least so far, most UCS sales are from middle-aged men who aren't per se hardcore star wars fans, but they have disposable incomes and loved the OT growing up. It's also a good point that most of the criticism is people wanting a prequel UCS, when that won't happen for at least a year so they can judge gunship sales. They might have something partially designed in case the gunship is a knockout, but I doubt we would see anything before 2023.

1 hour ago, legobagel said:

UCS Slave I was $200. I don't think it "took its spot", but its worth mentioning that

Agh, I swear I've been corrected on this before now that I think about it, I don't know why I keep thinking it was $250, might have been a reference book error or I might just be dumb. Anyway, inflation calculator says it'd be $230 now (so it'd be on shelves for $250 ironically).

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Plus didn't a report come out that they recently hired a leak sniper? It might be too early in their employment, but this could be the first bit of info we're getting.

I thought the rumor was that they were in the process of hiring one, not that they already had one employed. Could be wrong about that though.

1 hour ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I kind of get why some people don't want a UCS Landspeeder, I mean ever since the XP-38 came out...

“…they just aren’t in demand.” :wink:

Like I said earlier, I was expecting the 1HY sets to mostly be rather dull and safe so none of these of rumors are disappointing me. I see people complaining about Lego being out of touch and not listening to fans again, and I’m just looking at the highly acclaimed summer wave and UCS Gunship that just came out and prove otherwise. The exciting stuff has generally come out during the latter half of the year recently, so that’s likely when we’ll get more of your highly requested stuff.

Luke’s Landspeeder sounds like a refreshing UCS set imo. I’m not a huge UCS fan, though that’s slowly been changing over time, but this was one of the few unmade OT sets left that would interest me. The only other thing I could think of right now would be a Nebulon Frigate and more remakes of older sets. I don’t find the Luke’s Landspeeder meme to be particularly funny or accurate, so this doesn’t  really bother me. I mean, people complain about remakes a lot and yet this will be the third Star Wars D2C in a row that has never been made before. I think that’s something worth mentioning.

52 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

It’s literally only because they made a playscale one too many times, so now it’s become the official “THE OT GETS TOO MANY SETS” poster boy. As for me, I’m fine with it. We haven’t seen it yet and it could turn out to be pretty nice. 

I would have been far more disappointed by like, a third UCS X-Wing or a Snowspeeder or TIE advanced remake than this

In the US at least, the ucs gunship has been intermittently out of stock. On amazon, the BB shuttle and mandalorian starfighter has also been intermittently of stock, with the starfighter being out of stock yet again for at least another month. If this is reflective of demand months before Christmas, they may be a good sign for the future.

It's nice to hear about the minifig packs, I don't exactly have high hopes but it'd be nice if it were a pack of Clones or battle droids. Watch it be FO Stormtroopers...

26 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

It's nice to hear about the minifig packs, I don't exactly have high hopes but it'd be nice if it were a pack of Clones or battle droids. Watch it be FO Stormtroopers...

Going by the Marvel and DC packs I'm expecting it to include named characters rather than army builders. They usually include at least one exclusive figure. Kind of hoping its based on the Mandalorian if it means getting Kuiil.

Lmao, the prophecy became the truth :laugh_hard:

As for the accessory set, it's just a lamer version of a Battle Pack - unless it doesn't include generic army builders, but some actual characters. In that case, it'll be a lovely addition.

8 hours ago, LemonFlavouredBleach said:

The Wave for winter so far:

Hoth Battle Pack

Hoth AT-ST

3 helmets

UCS Landspeeder

Not exactly a strong wave

Helmets and Landspeeder are April and May respectively, so it's a Spring wave. Also, we'll get only 2 of those 3 helmets.

So for now, the Winter wave is Hoth BP, Razor Crest MF and 18+ Hoth AT-ST. We'll definitely get more sets.

4 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

You have GOT to be be kidding me... Is the LEGO Star Wars team becoming self parody?! Do they just see people talking about Luke's Landspeeder all the time and think people actually wanted a UCS of one without realizing it's become a meme? It's astounding to be getting this lackluster of a wave after the extraordinary Mandalorian/Clone Wars one we just got.

Y'know, while I'm sick to death of constant OT stuff every year, there are some sets we desperately need remakes of that astoundingly never get made like Vader's TIE Advanced X1(I'm still kicking myself not getting the Rebels set with Vader's TIE and the prototype A-Wing, it goes for astronomical prices on bricklink), TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, etc. There's also some classic OT ships that have NEVER been made such has Home One, LEGO has such a massive catalog of rounded pieces nowadays that it could be done easily as a playset similar to the System Star Destroyers we usually get.

Do you think the majority of the market (even the specific group that gets UCS sets) cares for memes or even is aware of them? I am on this forum but even I wasn't aware of any meme, nor would it influence my opinion, that a UCS landspeeder would make a lot of sense. It's different enough from other sets -  it's basically the equivilant of UCS car builds. If it will be a good design or have a decent price are two other stories. The landspeeder is one of the most iconic vehicles of SW - if it's not for you, I'm sure there's many other interested people!

and wow - I didn't know about the Vader vs. A-Wing price. That set was a huge flop, as far as I'm aware of and anywhere I was, was like 50% off. If you are interested, PM me. I didn't find time so far to sell my versions (though they are modified into being almost studless and colour consistant).

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

One could argue that CW and mandalorian both got a solid amount of sets for shows (you especially don't have to worry about mando since it's got 10+ sets and the only leaked non-18+ set is a mando one...), whereas Endor, one of the 3 most iconic locations, hasn't had a set for what, 8 years? I agree we need more BB sets, but none of the playscale sets have leaked yet. Were you expecting a hunter helmet or UCS marauder?

also...was exaggeration not allowed? what? My point is how ridiculous people are being about this that they're legitimately saying people should be fired over accidentally saying a set was from the wrong movie (and more reasonably that they said that two yellow clones were somewhat interchangable, but seriously, it's a guy's job...). And if you read the post you qouted, I stated a ton of different things I think lego did wrong. I'm "defending" them because the attacks are ridiculous- the wave is awful because the couple of leaked sets aren't prequel ones, the designers should be fired over saying something in a video, etc.

STAR WARS MINIFIGURE PACK! These usually are re-uses of 2-3 figs with one exclusive fig and some small playscale builds, but lego star wars has a higher budget, so we'll see.

I'd say CW and Mando haven't got as many sets as they should have considering the Winter stuff from this year was almost entirely OT. Endor deserves more sets but it's a nearly 40-year old movie and isn't as iconic as its predecessor so it won't get as many as it's neither as iconic nor new media.

I was just pointing out the irony in defending Lego using exaggerations and then being pissed at others for many exaggerations when critiquing TLG. 

I've never bought a minifig pack but I assume it would work well for clone battalions and different SW factions and maybe even better than CMF's since it's multiple figs per. However I'd still love to see a CMF cause there's a lot of characters from the prequels, OT, and CW that I would love to see but wouldn't in normal sets or multi-fig pack. I believe one of the designers said there was going to be a new licensed CMF in 2022 and if he wasn't talking about the Muppets leak then there's hope for SW. 

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

A big properly detailed Luke's Landspeeser doesn't sound bad, but $200 seems overboard. You could make a nice big model of it for $100 or $150. I suppose UCS necessarily equals a minimum price point now though, since the last time they did a $100 UCS it was disastrous.

But like some have said, the leaked info has been getting slightly sketchier. We had a Delorean that turned out to be a Pickup Truck, Peach's Castle which turned out to be the N64 Block, etc. Maybe this is an MBS Lars Homestead that includes a Landspeeder.

On another point, if they truly are waiting on sales figures from the Gunship before greenlighting more prequel UCS sets, it'd make sense that we wouldn't see another one until 2023 if the Gunship is successful. Even if they have some sketch models kicking around, it takes time to ready things and get them into production.

I know OT sets sell well so making UCS versions is always a good idea for Lego but how can u justify making a Landspeeder and not more prequels UCS sets. There are far more iconic vehicles with more screentime and far more relevancy like an ARC-170 or Venator. If the Gunship sales are the reason for no prequel sets until 2023 then shouldn't the same process be applied to OT UCS? NO, because one sets of sales shouldn't dictate whether 3 films worth of content get UCS treatment. 

17 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I know OT sets sell well so making UCS versions is always a good idea for Lego but how can u justify making a Landspeeder and not more prequels UCS sets. There are far more iconic vehicles with more screentime and far more relevancy like an ARC-170 or Venator. If the Gunship sales are the reason for no prequel sets until 2023 then shouldn't the same process be applied to OT UCS? NO, because one sets of sales shouldn't dictate whether 3 films worth of content get UCS treatment. 

Your question doesn't make sense because the same need for good sales is applied to OT UCS sets, and they already have the data (I bolded for clarity). They already have proof that OT UCS sets sell, so they're going to keep making more continuously and that's what they will have already planned and have ready to release next year.

For PT UCS sets, they have to wait and see how the Gunship does, so even if they have enough sales data to greenlight more today, we still wouldn't see them before 2023.

If you're LEGO and you have zero current data on how much true sales demand there is for PT material in the UCS line, it makes perfect sense to wait and see how your PT UCS set does. Will a fan vote translate into strong sales? Will the UCS buying landscape truly have changed significantly from ten years ago? As a company run for profit, this is something they'd want to find out. That doesn't necessarily mean the ENTIRE decision to make more PT material is riding on the Gunship's sales, but it would be a factor.

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

I hope its not, and hopefully it is geared towards clones, rebels and stormtroopers, as you cannot really accessorise ST era figures. Hopefully if there are named characters they are minor ones, such as imperial or rebel officers, and maybe less significant CW-era figures. I hope these aren't online exclusives as they will sell out quickly, especially if there are desirable massable figures

Edited by Stuartn

21 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Your question doesn't make sense because the same need for good sales is applied to OT UCS sets, and they already have the data (I bolded for clarity). They already have proof that OT UCS sets sell, so they're going to keep making more continuously and that's what they will have already planned and have ready to release next year.

For PT UCS sets, they have to wait and see how the Gunship does, so even if they have enough sales data to greenlight more today, we still wouldn't see them before 2023.

If you're LEGO and you have zero current data on how much true sales demand there is for PT material in the UCS line, it makes perfect sense to wait and see how your PT UCS set does. Will a fan vote translate into strong sales? Will the UCS buying landscape truly have changed significantly from ten years ago? As a company run for profit, this is something they'd want to find out. That doesn't necessarily mean the ENTIRE decision to make more PT material is riding on the Gunship's sales, but it would be a factor.

Where is all this "data" that OT UCS sets sell well? Whenever I have gone to my local Ledo store or onto the shop at the home site the UCS A-Wing, Star Destroyer, and now R2 is always available and never sell out. I didn't want the Y-Wing but before that retired it too was never sold out. The only UCS sets that have been true sell-outs are the Falcon and Slave 1 which I could never find in store or at shop at home. The notion that OT sets sell incredibly well is not backed by any actual evidence but rather a theory that middle-aged men across the globe are buying up all the stock with their disposable incomes. Don't get me wrong OT UCS will definitely be more popular with that crowd than prequels but there's no actual quantitative data to point to that proves these sales. If you want to make the assumption that OT is popular cause TLG keeps making them I suggest you look at shop at home and see that the super popular sets are still readily available.

Of course, none of this really matters cause TLG can do whatever they like, and just cause some fans don't want a meme UCS set doesn't mean they're gonna stop and suddenly make a Venator. However I have had enough of people in this forum constantly saying "prequels don't sell, OT does" there's quite literally zero proof of that, in fact, that there's more proof that the recent UCS models haven't sold well.

Note: Reading this back I sound a little "hostile," didn't mean to come off that way.

Edited by kidtheboss611
Note

@kidtheboss611 not sold out & constantly available to buy =/= not selling well. I don't know where you get that idea.

LEGO is in the business of selling its products during its desired window of availability and then retiring them to make way for other products. LEGO wants people to be able to buy its products during the time they're available and plans the production numbers accordingly. The only time UCS sets might sell out is during the initial launch because that's where a lot of the demand is concentrated (and LEGO might underestimate or bungle it), just like theatrically released films do most of their money on the first couple weekends and then slowly make some more for the rest of the time they're planned to be in theatres.

And yes, we can 100% confidently say that the fact LEGO keeps making OT UCS sets and has for around 20 years is a perfect sign that sales support the line continuing. They're not making these sets just for fun - they're making them to make money.

By the way, I personally never said PT UCS sets don't/won't sell, but rather that LEGO has very little data and certainly no contemporary data of the current marketplace until now, which is also not a matter opinion but a fact.