MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Not sure if it's been talked about before,  but i noticed on the Amazon.com (US) listing for the Deluxe version of the Skywalker Game, their used to be a picture that included the Luke Minifigure, but now it's no longer being advertised. Is there any hints at this or is it because the game is delayed so often? I also don't see it mentioned a minifigure comes with the Deluxe version either. 

30 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Not sure if it's been talked about before,  but i noticed on the Amazon.com (US) listing for the Deluxe version of the Skywalker Game, their used to be a picture that included the Luke Minifigure, but now it's no longer being advertised. Is there any hints at this or is it because the game is delayed so often? I also don't see it mentioned a minifigure comes with the Deluxe version either. 

I'm guessing this is just due to the delay and nothing to read into. 

8 hours ago, T21Typhoon said:

With what we’ve had over the summer wave, I feel like it’s one of the most diverse and interesting waves we’ve had in a long time that’s finally given some due attention to non-film media since the Clone Wars days. Not only do we get fresh locations and ships that aren’t just rehashes of existing designs, but the minifigures themselves are also some of the best we’ve had in a long time. I sincerely hope the winter wave keeps up this fresh streak.

That being said, you can see the benefits and drawbacks of how certain sets were approached. The Bad Batch Shuttle comes to mind, its additional speeders just take away from what could have been a larger and more detailed shuttle for example. Even with the minifigures, having the entire team in one set is great, but I also wonder how they would have turned out if Lego had taken the Knights of Ren approach and scattered them across different sets. Perhaps they would have been far more detailed and accurate?

Might be in the minority, but I would not have minded if the bad batch were spread out(like the knights of ren), if that meant we could have gotten sets like the AT-TE or v-wing. If you told me in 2013 and 2014 that it would be 2021 and we still wouldn't have remakes of regular versions of those vehicles, I would not have believed you.

That being said, Lego's release plan with Clone wars season 7, the Mandalorian, and the bad batch is odd compared to their other media release tie-ins, perhaps due to the pandemic. Usually sets are released ahead of or at the same time as their media releases, but the clone wars season 7 2020 sets were released after the season aired and it was a very small  wave. The 2021 clone wars wave was also small and while had good sets, had niche figures like gar saxon who hasn't appeared since clone wars, leading me to speculate that 2021's wave was meant to be part of 2020 but had to be split up due to pandemic production issues. The same could be said for the sole bad batch set, released at the end of the season. In fact, the shuttle was delayed one month in the US.

The mandalorian wave seems to be the same despite the show's popularity, we had a small 2020 wave and the 2021 wave was about the show one year after it aired. This is not to say that lego doesnt make sets about media years after they air, but the initial wave concerning the media is usually a lot more substantial than one or two sets, especially if the media is hugely popular, like the mandalorian season 2

Edited by Bobbtom

1 hour ago, Bobbtom said:

Might be in the minority, but I would not have minded if the bad batch were spread out(like the knights of ren), if that meant we could have gotten sets like the AT-TE or v-wing. If you told me in 2013 and 2014 that it would be 2021 and we still wouldn't have remakes of regular versions of those vehicles, I would not have believed you.

I don't want to get too far into this as a similar conversation got declared off-topic, but all I'll say here is that for the first few years of TCW, most sets were TCW. Then we got 5 movies, 2 animated shows (though only 2 seasons worth of sets really), and a live action series. 

About the big news of the day, it's AMAZING, but I don't think it'll translate into sets anytime soon. Maybe one near release.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

About the big news of the day, it's AMAZING, but I don't think it'll translate into sets anytime soon. Maybe one near release.

What, you mean the new leaked photos for the kind of cool looking Star Wars overwatch ripoff with an epic stacked Jawa?

2 hours ago, Bobbtom said:

That being said, Lego's release plan with Clone wars season 7, the Mandalorian, and the bad batch is odd compared to their other media release tie-ins, perhaps due to the pandemic. Usually sets are released ahead of or at the same time as their media releases, but the clone wars season 7 2020 sets were released after the season aired and it was a very small  wave. The 2021 clone wars wave was also small and while had good sets, had niche figures like gar saxon who hasn't appeared since clone wars, leading me to speculate that 2021's wave was meant to be part of 2020 but had to be split up due to pandemic production issues. The same could be said for the sole bad batch set, released at the end of the season. In fact, the shuttle was delayed one month in the US.

I think the main difference here which has a big effect on how and when tie-in sets appear in Lego waves is the type of media being released e.g movies vs TV shows. Movies are 2-3 hours of content released as a 'one and done' affair i.e. you view the entire story in a single sitting, and most people will see the movie within the first few weeks of release, while TV shows are 8 hours or more of content released over a multi-month timespan (at least at the moment with Disney+ dropping single episodes on a weekly basis). These different types of release schedules require different marketing approaches and therefore tie-ins like Lego sets will be affected.

The movie wave sets, releasing a couple of months prior to the movie release, build buzz for the movie which everyone is waiting to see in the near future. If the same was done for a TV show, we might be seeing vehicles that don't appear until say, episode 15 of season 1, which is still potentially 5-6 months away from airing. Apart from any spoilers that might create, the interest in the set might not be there yet, whereas releasing it after the show/season has finished will still see the set fresh in peoples minds. I don't know how the new shows are produced, whether they are completely finished before the first episode is released, or whether post-production work on later episodes is still ongoing when the season begins, but there could also be an issue of when promotional material/new vehicle specs are released to TLG in order for them to start designing the TV tie-in sets. There seems to be a pattern of sorts at the moment with one set for an upcoming show released early - either as pre-release marketing or testing the waters to gauge interest.

The difference with the Clone Wars waves from the early 2010s is that at the time that was the only new SW content being released. Now for each upcoming Lego wave there are a bunch of new shows on the horizon, plus follow up content from media just finished, plus re-releases from older media. The landscape is a lot more cluttered now to have a single wave dedicated to a single non-movie release in the way it was done in the past. Possibly over the next few years with new content coming wholly from TV releases rather than movies, there may also be a shift in how and when TLG manages their own releases.

57 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

What, you mean the new leaked photos for the kind of cool looking Star Wars overwatch ripoff with an epic stacked Jawa?

Nah, that won't get any sets, even if it includes the majestic, incredible based jawas

It's the other one... I'm staying vague because it was such an amazing surprise to see "Oh, a new game trailer" and then for it to be THAT game, so I want other people to see it that like that too. Just search "star wars game trailer" and select the one that's not hunters.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Nah, that won't get any sets, even if it includes the majestic, incredible based jawas

It's the other one... I'm staying vague because it was such an amazing surprise to see "Oh, a new game trailer" and then for it to be THAT game, so I want other people to see it that like that too. Just search "star wars game trailer" and select the one that's not hunters.

that would be great as I have missed the opportunity to get that promo minifig a few years ago.

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

As much as I would love it, there's next to no chance we're getting sets for the kotor remake. Yes they made a Revan figure years ago, I have it and it's one of my favorite Star Wars minifigs and they made swtor sets but they've clearly since changed their tune on video game-based sets *cough* Fallen Order *cough* I think the best we can hope for is the possibility of Revan being an unlockable character in LSWtSS. 

21 hours ago, Bobbtom said:

My working theory is this:

Rebels sets notoriously flopped, probably because the show didn't pick up in popularity until like S2 (I still love S1 and 2 of that show but that's another story).  Lego kind of went all in with those sets and it failed, partially due to a weird release schedule (they were released way before the show aired, if I remember right, meaning that people were probably less likely to purchase stuff from a show they haven't even watched yet) and partially due to a weird selection of sets (which probably isn't the fault of Lego, it's probably more a cause of what info they were given by the production team).  

Ever since, they seemed to stray away from TV show stuff.  We still got a couple of TCW sets here and there (Grievous' Speeder, Yoda's Starfighter), but they were all fairly "safe" sets in that the minifigures were of fairly universally liked characters and they were at low price points.  Then, Mandalorian came out.  Rather than go all in with one wave based on a TV show, they went with one set that was an extremely "safe" release, an AT-ST.  It had a fairly low price point ($50 in the US that was discounted to $40 very quickly at most retailers), contained a good number of figures, including the main character, and was of a vehicle that was already recognizable, meaning that people may have been willing to buy it anyway just because they wanted an AT-ST.  

The show was a smash hit, and then we got more sets.

When TCW S7 came around, we got 3 sets, but all were relatively "safe" again.  Anakin's fighter was in need of a re-release anyway, the 501st set was highly demanded, and the AAT was a vehicle that hadn't been remade in a while, plus two desirable minifigures.  There was clearly a demand for those sets, because now we're getting more TCW stuff including figures like Gar Saxon, as you said.

The next new show that released was Bad Batch, and once again we got a fairly "safe" set as the only one from the show.  While the price point is expensive, the ship had previously been introduced in TCW, and it included all of the Bad Batch minifigures, making it more desirable.  

Book of Boba Fett is almost the same deal.  The first set we're getting is a Slave I and it includes characters that we've already seen and are pretty wanted (at least in the case of repainted Boba).  If the show does well, I would bet we're getting more sets for sure.  

Anyway, this is just my theory, but it seems to be a pattern with new TV shows.  I'd imagine if Kenobi or the Cassian shows get any sets, it'll probably be something along the lines of vehicles/locations we're already familiar with (maybe a U-Wing for the Andor show?) so that they can test the waters before releasing a bunch of sets for a show that may or may not be popular.

3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

As much as I would love it, there's next to no chance we're getting sets for the kotor remake. Yes they made a Revan figure years ago, I have it and it's one of my favorite Star Wars minifigs and they made swtor sets but they've clearly since changed their tune on video game-based sets *cough* Fallen Order *cough* I think the best we can hope for is the possibility of Revan being an unlockable character in LSWtSS. 

I don't think that's necessarily an accurate take. There have been three major game releases since Disney took over, and two of the three have gotten sets; Fallen Order is the only one that hasn't (you could count Squadrons as a fourth game, but that was much lower-profile than FO or the Battlefronts). Unlike the other games, KotOR is a very well-established property that LEGO has made stuff for in the past (Revan figure, and the three SWTOR sets). It's way too soon for anyone to have any actual idea of whether there'll be KotOR sets or not, and probably more than anything else it depends on how much of a marketing push Disney decides to do around the game, but it's certainly not out of the question.

The original Kotor is a mile stone of video game history with a huge fan base that partly isn't even much into Star Wars except for that game. If it is a good remake with the same plot in new technology, it is pretty much guaranteed that the SW fans both old and young will love it. The children, who grew up with it are now adults able to buy for example an Ebon Hawk for nostalgia. It would be a set that works perfectly fine alone on a shelf as a nerdy decoration object. There also never was an Ebon Hawk, so many collecters screaming for new ships would be happy, too. It would not surprise me at all to see one such big set aimed towards adults. I mean, there is not even any need for any new moulds except for HK 47's head. Real children toy sets will pretty much completely depend on what Disney is planing with the old republic.

What do you guys think about the rumor of a Mandalorian Beskar helmet in the helmet collection? I could not be less interested in such a set but the possibility to get lots of metallic silver pieces makes me really excited.

Edited by Gorilla94

13 hours ago, Artizan said:

that would be great as I have missed the opportunity to get that promo minifig a few years ago.

As did I.

6 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Not off the bat, maybe, but I think we could see something a little after it. Maybe even around release. Fallen order sold really well, and I think we'll see sets for it's remake. Much like Mando and clone wars got more sets down the line.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:56 PM, Fuppylodders said:

I'm going to make a comparison which is quite fitting here, for how far you're going with this. 

You are correct that TLG isn't a mom and pop shop but a multi million/billion dollar company where mistakes like that shouldn't happen. 

Guess what? So is Boeing. And they're even more highly regulated than TLG. 

And guess what? Through all their checks and procedures and tests and verifications, every now and then, mistakes still slip through. And cost people's lives. 

So when a company who literally can make mistakes which cost people their lives, can still make mistakes-in this day and age... It puts it into perspective the demand you're putting on TLG for their mistakes they make and how they 'shouldn't be making them'. 

Literally the only justifiable mistake that deserves to be finger pointed at, is the assumption the designer made about the Clone pilot/commander. 

Can't argue against that tbh

On 9/9/2021 at 7:56 AM, Fuppylodders said:

I'm going to make a comparison which is quite fitting here, for how far you're going with this. 

You are correct that TLG isn't a mom and pop shop but a multi million/billion dollar company where mistakes like that shouldn't happen. 

And guess what? Through all their checks and procedures and tests and verifications, every now and then, mistakes still slip through. And cost people's lives. 

So when a company who literally can make mistakes which cost people their lives, can still make mistakes-in this day and age... It puts it into perspective the demand you're putting on TLG for their mistakes they make and how they 'shouldn't be making them'. 

Literally the only justifiable mistake that deserves to be finger pointed at, is the assumption the designer made about the Clone pilot/commander. 

I mean, you're not wrong. I really can't argue against this.

On 9/9/2021 at 7:56 AM, Fuppylodders said:

This is articulated much better than I could have.

Well, looks like the other 2 helmets are Luke's and an AT-AT driver. While the AT-AT driver seems like a nice choice with the upcoming UCS AT-AT I just can't help but think that Lego just doesn't want to make prequel versions. Third year of these things and not a single clone trooper? This whole wave of helmets sounds very bland honestly.

I think we can all agree that the choice of the AT-AT driver is odd and far from the most logical option lego could have done. I'd rather leave it at that than have another 3 pages of discourse over how lego hates the prequels, thinks prequel fans are stupid, or something.

1 hour ago, AIex said:

I think we can all agree that the choice of the AT-AT driver is odd and far from the most logical option lego could have done. I'd rather leave it at that than have another 3 pages of discourse over how lego hates the prequels, thinks prequel fans are stupid, or something.

I'll have to disagree with you there, simply for the fact it fits in 100% perfectly with the ucs atat as a complimentary display piece, literally what the helmets are for. This may in fact be the first of the helmets that I actually get. They don't usually interest me but are still typically well designed sets. 

I'd prefer for all three helmets to be released, especially as Mando is apparently likely to be one of the released ones. I'd love Luke's one to be a thing though, about time we had a good guy helmet!

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I'd prefer for all three helmets to be released, especially as Mando is apparently likely to be one of the released ones. I'd love Luke's one to be a thing though, about time we had a good guy helmet!

10/1 that luke's helmet is the one cancelled and it's because the visor didn't work with the coloration and level of transparency. 

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I'll have to disagree with you there, simply for the fact it fits in 100% perfectly with the ucs atat as a complimentary display piece, literally what the helmets are for. This may in fact be the first of the helmets that I actually get. They don't usually interest me but are still typically well designed sets. 

Yeah, AT-AT driver is probably also a complementary thing. They're really making an event out of this AT-AT set, I hope it's good.

The Mando helmet is a buy, the others are a pass. It would definitely be nice to get some non OT helmets, I think LEGO greatly underestimates how many Clone Trooper helmets they could sell and how easy it would be to basically sell the same set with a few different colors for years and people will eat it up, myself included.

Luke's helmet is the one I'd most like to see produced, if only to get something different in the line: it's a good guy helmet and would be the first open face one - the Batman cowls have shown the direction TLG would probably go with such a design.

Mando helmet will sell well, but it's ultimately a recolour of Boba's, and a monotone one at that (but if that single colour is chrome silver...)