MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I do think it's the case that since 2015 (I say that specifically because it started with the first TFA wave), there have been more random errors with sets than there were before that. The quality of the sets themselves has still mostly been great, but stuff like sets being based on concept art that changed dramatically before the movies came out is a problem that they don't seem to have had before, and production problems like the cockpit mold issue that led to the recall of the first issue of Poe's X-wing were previously completely unheard of--I don't know of a single example of LEGO having to recall a set before 2015. And it has been notable that there've been a lot more minor mistakes in instruction manuals recently than there used to be; that's always happened occasionally, but for the last couple of years almost every wave has had a manual that had a piece misplaced in a couple of steps or something like that. My completely uninformed guess is that Disney's been giving LEGO less lead time than Lucasfilm used to and that errors are slipping in for reasons that LEGO isn't entirely to blame for (and the design team certainly isn't), but whatever the cause, it's hard to avoid a sense that quality control has slipped a bit from where it was eight or ten years ago.

The reaction to the design video is certainly overblown, but at the same time, you have to admit that from a PR perspective that was a really, really stupid comment. It may very well be true that most people don't care about the difference between a pilot and a commander (in fact, for LEGO's core kid audience, it almost certainly is true), but you shouldn't have to be a public relations genius to recognize that it isn't a helpful response to the people who're asking you about it specifically because they care and are annoyed that you don't seem to.

9 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I do think it's the case that since 2015 (I say that specifically because it started with the first TFA wave), there have been more random errors with sets than there were before that. The quality of the sets themselves has still mostly been great, but stuff like sets being based on concept art that changed dramatically before the movies came out is a problem that they don't seem to have had before, and production problems like the cockpit mold issue that led to the recall of the first issue of Poe's X-wing were previously completely unheard of--I don't know of a single example of LEGO having to recall a set before 2015. And it has been notable that there've been a lot more minor mistakes in instruction manuals recently than there used to be; that's always happened occasionally, but for the last couple of years almost every wave has had a manual that had a piece misplaced in a couple of steps or something like that. My completely uninformed guess is that Disney's been giving LEGO less lead time than Lucasfilm used to and that errors are slipping in for reasons that LEGO isn't entirely to blame for (and the design team certainly isn't), but whatever the cause, it's hard to avoid a sense that quality control has slipped a bit from where it was eight or ten years ago.

The reaction to the design video is certainly overblown, but at the same time, you have to admit that from a PR perspective that was a really, really stupid comment. It may very well be true that most people don't care about the difference between a pilot and a commander (in fact, for LEGO's core kid audience, it almost certainly is true), but you shouldn't have to be a public relations genius to recognize that it isn't a helpful response to the people who're asking you about it specifically because they care and are annoyed that you don't seem to.

Re: Poe's X-Wing, i was in my dark age, what was the deal with this? just curious!

about the video, I am baffled that this didnt get picked up somewhere.  There is no way a video goes out like this without some level of signoff internally.  In corporate, This is the sort of thing that multiple people and Subject Matter Experts would need to view and give approval on before it gets uploaded anywhere external.  I appreciate that the designer mis-spoke but I find it baffling that nobody reviewing it before it was posted picked up on that error and suggested a re-shoot or dub, considering what the purpose of the video was.  These are the telltale signs of people either not being given the time or space to handle everything that comes across their desk with the care it needs (overloaded) or its being signed off by people who don't know enough or care enough about the subject matter themselves.   Neither are great thoughts

1 hour ago, LDigital said:

Re: Poe's X-Wing, i was in my dark age, what was the deal with this? just curious!

If I remember rightly, the canopy was slightly mismoulded, or at least, had issues of warping, to which point caused it to not be able to shut properly. Imagine not clicking it shut, but just pushing the end of it to the top of the studs it's meant to close onto... It was that. But I think it was caused by the ***vertical edges of the rear of the sides being too far back*** preventing it remaining closed. 

*edit*

Caused by the hinge piece being moulded at an upward angle @Kdapt-Preacher got it precisely correct

Edited by Fuppylodders

38 minutes ago, LDigital said:

The hinge-clip-things on the back of the cockpit canopy were molded at an upwards angle, so the cockpits wouldn't stay closed. They had a couple of studs at the front that they were supposed to click into, but the hinges wouldn't rotate that far down, and if you forced it shut it had enough force to pop open again. A relatively minor problem in the grand scheme of things, but LEGO recalled the set and issued new canopies to people who had them.

EDIT: Ah, Fuppylodders beat me to it. But you get the idea!

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I do think it's the case that since 2015 (I say that specifically because it started with the first TFA wave), there have been more random errors with sets than there were before that. The quality of the sets themselves has still mostly been great, but stuff like sets being based on concept art that changed dramatically before the movies came out is a problem that they don't seem to have had before, and production problems like the cockpit mold issue that led to the recall of the first issue of Poe's X-wing were previously completely unheard of--I don't know of a single example of LEGO having to recall a set before 2015. And it has been notable that there've been a lot more minor mistakes in instruction manuals recently than there used to be; that's always happened occasionally, but for the last couple of years almost every wave has had a manual that had a piece misplaced in a couple of steps or something like that.

A fair amount of sets have been recalled before. And instruction manual errors have been common for decades, I remember bionicle was pretty hard-hit by it, and early ninjago had some too I think.

Overall this conversation is starting to sound kind of entitled. I'm just going to give a few points quickly.

Someone said it's not a kid's toy...yes, unless it's UCS or 18+, lego star wars is meant for kids. Clearly I don't think it's weird or dumb for adults to own it, as I own a lot of it, but you can't pretend it's meant for adults.

I've also seen a comment or two that almost imply the designers should be fired and replaced with more prequel-friendly ones. First off, the only evidence that they don't like the prequels is...one of them calling the gunship OT (clearly by mistake...), and another saying that the commander and pilot are similar enough. Second of all, even if they don't like the prequels, it's not like it impacts set quality, so it's not exactly a fireable offense. 

9 hours ago, Samppu said:

I weigh in to this a little, because I consider the rage on these mistakes was in fact justified (albeit in the internet it easily gets out of proportion, but that is how it tends to work, unfortunately).
It is not that these mistakes themselves were so bad (we do have a clone pilot relatively easily accessible for those who desire it, and I did not believe a second that they would have made a new mold of any kind with this set, not for Cody nor the pilot on the basis how they have treated such opportunities before - e.g. missed AT-RT pilot in the 20th anniversary walker and missed Cody in the recent Soulless One).
 Rather the problem that enraged the people was the highly unprofessional attitude reflected in the ignorance whether the figure is a pilot or a commander "because people anyway only remember seeing a yellow clone". For anyone buying such expensive sets, these things do matter and such details shouldn't be that hard nor expensive to take care of.

Additionally I think this episode reflects one root reason behind many short comings in Lego SW production line during the recent few years, which - as far as I am aware of - is that some of the key designers in the Lego SW team have been working there since the very beginning now two decades back in time. They were certainly the best available recruits back then who were also highly enthusiastic about the original trilogy, because that was all that there was to Star Wars back then. But things have drastically changed since then. The original designers are no longer the best nor even the most enthusiastic. We have tons of new content (I would bet that the original old school designers have not bothered to pay attention to look through it all), a myriad of new revolutionary parts and a world wide pool of genius builders who could make child friendly, low part count but still miraculously impressive snowspeeders with their left hand, whereas all we get from the original designers are repetitions of the very same design that has been around now two decades. These kinds of examples, the snowspeeder in particular but also the small things like the clone commander vs. pilot issue, are clearly a sign that the problem is no longer about time or resources.

This is spot on. I still love a lot of the set designs but small mistakes here and there add up and are important for a toy like Lego that's very expensive in comparison to other "kids toys". Specifically, with the Gunship being a fan-voted set the neglect and consistent errors are worse because it feels like they really don't care. 

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A fair amount of sets have been recalled before. And instruction manual errors have been common for decades, I remember bionicle was pretty hard-hit by it, and early ninjago had some too I think.

Overall this conversation is starting to sound kind of entitled. I'm just going to give a few points quickly.

Someone said it's not a kid's toy...yes, unless it's UCS or 18+, lego star wars is meant for kids. Clearly I don't think it's weird or dumb for adults to own it, as I own a lot of it, but you can't pretend it's meant for adults.

I've also seen a comment or two that almost imply the designers should be fired and replaced with more prequel-friendly ones. First off, the only evidence that they don't like the prequels is...one of them calling the gunship OT (clearly by mistake...), and another saying that the commander and pilot are similar enough. Second of all, even if they don't like the prequels, it's not like it impacts set quality, so it's not exactly a fireable offense. 

If I didn't know any better I'd guess you worked for Lego public relations. :laugh: Anyway, I don't think people are calling for firings (and if they are then that's dumb) but rather a little more care given to an expensive product, whether its for kids or not. Also, the Gunship was the set in question and is $350 USD so it's definitely not meant for kids. 

Also, there is a difference between being entitled and having a fair expectation. It'd be entitled of me to cry about not getting Cody, a pilot or Jedi Bob however it is expected that TLG at the very least know what era a ship is from and don't make mistakes like incorrect logos. I know it's a little thing but if you're going to charge $350 USD for a Lego set then you should deliver a product with the correct logo.

Overblown. Why is there an expectation that a Lego creator has to be an expert in what they are building? Their passion is building cool stuff. A simple mistake in regards to OT vs PT causing such an outrage shows that SW Lego fandom is acting just as toxic as normal SW fandom.

5 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

While I think that's slightly hyperbolic, there does seem to be a lot of small mistakes creeping in.

I wonder if its more that there are a lot more AFOLs too, so there are more people noticing, little mistakes PR-wise may not have mattered, as the primary audience was solely children who probably wouldn't care about OT vs PT even if they were aware of the difference, but now they are getting picked up by an expanding AFOL market demographic.

Back on topic, is the leak for a Din Djarin helmet in 2022 reliable? I haven't heard of leaker before so wasn't sure whether this is true, normally helmets are leaked together as well

Its been reposted a couple of times but still not sure of accuracy

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A fair amount of sets have been recalled before.

A fair number of sets have been slightly redesigned midway through production (sometimes mailing people a service pack like with WALL-E, sometimes not) or sent out replacements for faulty parts (i.e. Poe's X-wing and the misprinted Flux Capacitor in the Back to the Future set) but they've only done two actual recalls where people were supposed to send anything back to the company, and they're listed on the Customer Service page: a Duplo-adjacent plastic monster truck that barely resembles a LEGO product, and the initial run of the Power Functions speed control train remote.

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

Overblown. Why is there an expectation that a Lego creator has to be an expert in what they are building? Their passion is building cool stuff. A simple mistake in regards to OT vs PT causing such an outrage shows that SW Lego fandom is acting just as toxic as normal SW fandom.

Exactly. People are getting all up in arms about things that don't even impact the set itself, and in the case of the box art, a very minor thing that is solved by waiting a couple days before buying it (or buying it now, then waiting and selling it in a couple months for a large profit.)

3 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

If I didn't know any better I'd guess you worked for Lego public relations. :laugh: Anyway, I don't think people are calling for firings (and if they are then that's dumb) but rather a little more care given to an expensive product, whether its for kids or not. Also, the Gunship was the set in question and is $350 USD so it's definitely not meant for kids. 

Also, there is a difference between being entitled and having a fair expectation. It'd be entitled of me to cry about not getting Cody, a pilot or Jedi Bob however it is expected that TLG at the very least know what era a ship is from and don't make mistakes like incorrect logos. I know it's a little thing but if you're going to charge $350 USD for a Lego set then you should deliver a product with the correct logo.

Ok, so your saying the reasonable complaints are:

1. That a lego designer misspoke. It's not that they don't know what era it is... they constantly refer to it as from attack of the clones. ONE TIME, the guy misspoke, and they didn't reshoot because they probably didn't expect it to be some massive issue.

2. that the original box art having a slightly different logo, WHICH THEY FIXED. I would understand if they didn't change it (still not really a big deal, but I'd get the complaints at least), but they FIXED IT.

Also note that neither of these impact the actual model...

There's a difference between working for lego public relations and trying to stop the mobs from going after it because a guy misspoke.

1 hour ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

A fair number of sets have been slightly redesigned midway through production (sometimes mailing people a service pack like with WALL-E, sometimes not) or sent out replacements for faulty parts (i.e. Poe's X-wing and the misprinted Flux Capacitor in the Back to the Future set) but they've only done two actual recalls where people were supposed to send anything back to the company, and they're listed on the Customer Service page: a Duplo-adjacent plastic monster truck that barely resembles a LEGO product, and the initial run of the Power Functions speed control train remote.

Yeah, I was using "recalled" as that was the term the guy I was quoting about the x-wing used.

1 hour ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

In the case of the X-wing, my understanding is that they recalled unsold inventory from stores rather than asking individual consumers to send them back. 'Recall' may be the wrong term for that, but I don't know a better one. Whatever you call it, the set was hard to find for a while before the corrected version became widely available. Other Star Wars sets had changed mid-production (6211, for example, got a fairly significant redesign to increase its structural soundness back in 2006 or thereabouts), but not for things like faulty parts.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Exactly. People are getting all up in arms about things that don't even impact the set itself, and in the case of the box art, a very minor thing that is solved by waiting a couple days before buying it (or buying it now, then waiting and selling it in a couple months for a large profit.)

Ok, so your saying the reasonable complaints are:

1. That a lego designer misspoke. It's not that they don't know what era it is... they constantly refer to it as from attack of the clones. ONE TIME, the guy misspoke, and they didn't reshoot because they probably didn't expect it to be some massive issue.

2. that the original box art having a slightly different logo, WHICH THEY FIXED. I would understand if they didn't change it (still not really a big deal, but I'd get the complaints at least), but they FIXED IT.

Also note that neither of these impact the actual model...

There's a difference between working for lego public relations and trying to stop the mobs from going after it because a guy misspoke.

Yeah, I was using "recalled" as that was the term the guy I was quoting about the x-wing used.

1. This isn't a mom-and-pop shop where mistakes are expected and can happen on a whim but rather a multi-billion dollar corporation with the resources to prevent mistakes as a basic as knowing which movie a product is from. It's not about a reshoot of the video or even him saying it's OT, it's the sheer lack of care and attention to detail. The fact that it's a fan-voted set and there isn't any attention to detail is rightfully concerning to customers who pay for a premium product.

2. The box logo is one of many mistakes with this set and the simplest to fix. Its occurrence is not a complaint but rather evidence of the lack of attention to detail for this fan-voted set. That along with the other statements "yellow clone" and "pilot=commander" are reasons for people not to complain but instead question TLG and ask for better products.

4. I bought the set cause I like the model but if some people don't buy the set and say their reasoning is one of the above I might disagree but they still have a point. I want more prequel sets and so to see the multiple "issues" with this set's release and outrage surrounding it kind of pisses me off cause it means TLG now has another reason to not make more prequel UCS sets. Thus, myself and others voice our concern in forums like this one and in comment sections so maybe, JUST MAYBE, TLG will do better with the next one and take our concerns as feedback rather than complaints from the "mob."

5. It wasn't a mob but a couple of comments in a forum that for the most part were civil so no need to blow it out of proportion. Also, the PR thing was a joke, so "take a joke."

58 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

1. This isn't a mom-and-pop shop where mistakes are expected and can happen on a whim but rather a multi-billion dollar corporation with the resources to prevent mistakes as a basic as knowing which movie a product is from. It's not about a reshoot of the video or even him saying it's OT, it's the sheer lack of care and attention to detail. The fact that it's a fan-voted set and there isn't any attention to detail is rightfully concerning to customers who pay for a premium product.

2. The box logo is one of many mistakes with this set and the simplest to fix. Its occurrence is not a complaint but rather evidence of the lack of attention to detail for this fan-voted set. That along with the other statements "yellow clone" and "pilot=commander" are reasons for people not to complain but instead question TLG and ask for better products.

4. I bought the set cause I like the model but if some people don't buy the set and say their reasoning is one of the above I might disagree but they still have a point. I want more prequel sets and so to see the multiple "issues" with this set's release and outrage surrounding it kind of pisses me off cause it means TLG now has another reason to not make more prequel UCS sets. Thus, myself and others voice our concern in forums like this one and in comment sections so maybe, JUST MAYBE, TLG will do better with the next one and take our concerns as feedback rather than complaints from the "mob."

5. It wasn't a mob but a couple of comments in a forum that for the most part were civil so no need to blow it out of proportion. Also, the PR thing was a joke, so "take a joke."

1. I'm confused, are you saying it is or isn't a problem that he misspoke?

2. Again, that's the point, they fixed it. The yellow clone thing is a more legitimate complaint (though still not one I personally thing should be the reason for buying a $350 set), but I'm mainly talking about all this more recent outrage that's lead to the comments implying they should lose their jobs.

3?

4. They definately did take the complaints as feedback, as they fixed the logo issue. And we're talking about the things stopping people from buying a $350 set being the fact that a designer accidentally misspoke, the boxart was slightly incorrect but then fixed, and one of the figures is a commander instead of a pilot... I don't think this is going to really affect sales.

5. So have you not been on reddit, instagram, or certain youtuber's comment sections? (heck, certain youtuber's video titles and thumbnails)? It's been somewhat civil here aside from a guy that was way out of line and a couple comments with some absurd implications, but not so much there.

4 hours ago, Stuartn said:

Back on topic, is the leak for a Din Djarin helmet in 2022 reliable? I haven't heard of leaker before so wasn't sure whether this is true, normally helmets are leaked together as well

Its been reposted a couple of times but still not sure of accuracy

I'm curious about this as well. First thoughts were 1) unfamiliar leaker, and 2) that sounds like a rather uninteresting helmet. Same shape/build as Boba with less color and detail, right?

32 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I'm curious about this as well. First thoughts were 1) unfamiliar leaker, and 2) that sounds like a rather uninteresting helmet. Same shape/build as Boba with less color and detail, right?

That's what I thought as well, as its a lot less colourful than Boba Fett, it seems to have been reproduced by reliable channels but I will wait and see, the image of a MOC seemed somewhat colourless, but as someone who only collected the imperial helmets, it may fit in with what I like if it is more muted in colour.

At the end of the day, none of the press release stuff affects the model at all.  I truly do not understand why it's causing this much controversy one way or the other.  If you like the set, buy the set.

25 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I feel like it's possible that we'll eventually get one, but it seems unlikely to get what would probably be a straight up recolor of the Boba helmet only a year later.  Assuming they continue the helmet line, a Snowtrooper would be cool if they could capture the cowl/neck section, though that would be somewhat difficult.  Same deal with a Royal Guard, though probably more feasible.  If they decide to do open-face helmets, a Rebel pilot helmet is almost a sure thing.  I can't really think of anything else from the OT.  The only other major Stormtrooper variant is a Sandtrooper, which is the same helmet plus some sand/dirt.  Death Star Gunners are too niche for an entire display piece (though I've always loved their helmet design for whatever reason).  What other helmeted characters are there?  Lando's Palace Guard disguise?  Not likely.  MAYBE a Tusken Raider or Jawa head?  Again, not really a helmet, so I don't really see it.  There's definitely some possibilities from the PT and ST, but I'm not sure if the demand is as high for display pieces from those eras over minifigure scale stuff.  Something like Rex or Jango Fett would do well for sure, though (but with Jango it's the same problem as a Mando helmet, it's basically just a recolor of Boba with maybe some updated techniques).

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

At the end of the day, none of the press release stuff affects the model at all.  I truly do not understand why it's causing this much controversy one way or the other.  If you like the set, buy the set.

I mean, the minifigure selection was a contentious topic before the reveal & before the initial Commander/Pilot comment controversy. TLG including it in their official designer video signals they’re a taaad bit tone deaf and/or not ‘getting it’ in regards to fan frustration. I feel like a lot of the stir is simply a response to that—the community’s way of saying it even louder this time so maybe TLG takes the hint.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

1. I'm confused, are you saying it is or isn't a problem that he misspoke?

2. Again, that's the point, they fixed it. The yellow clone thing is a more legitimate complaint (though still not one I personally thing should be the reason for buying a $350 set), but I'm mainly talking about all this more recent outrage that's lead to the comments implying they should lose their jobs.

3?

4. They definately did take the complaints as feedback, as they fixed the logo issue. And we're talking about the things stopping people from buying a $350 set being the fact that a designer accidentally misspoke, the boxart was slightly incorrect but then fixed, and one of the figures is a commander instead of a pilot... I don't think this is going to really affect sales.

5. So have you not been on reddit, instagram, or certain youtuber's comment sections? (heck, certain youtuber's video titles and thumbnails)? It's been somewhat civil here aside from a guy that was way out of line and a couple comments with some absurd implications, but not so much there.

It's a problem but speaks to a larger one that you don't seem to understand. The carlessness for this set is what pisses me off and what will affect sales. Also even though they fixed it the fact is that it should never have happened. The designer shouldn't have equated a commander to a pilot and then reiterated it a month later in that designer video. From your responses, I'm going to guess that you don't care about all the mistakes and carelessness that TLG has done over the years but just cause you to feel that way doesn't mean everyone else has to. Some of us care a little more and would like TLG to listen to fans and not make as many errors. 

Also, on youtube and Reddit there is a lack of accountability, unlike here, and so people can say whatever they want. Those kinds of mobs exist with every franchise and every product and I think you already know that so equating them with me isn't accurate. Also, it's not just the "certain" YouTuber that thinks it's an issue, alot of the YouTubers made videos about it and I think Brick Wiz summarised it best and most professionally. Watch his video and then get back to me. 

Also for the record, I only care about the PR stuff cause it's going to affect whether or not more prequel UCS stuff is made. MOst of the people who don't care and think its no big deal probably don't care for prequels UCS sets and that's completely fine but it doesn't mean the rest of us can't 

43 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

It's a problem but speaks to a larger one that you don't seem to understand. The carlessness for this set is what pisses me off and what will affect sales.

Do you really expect people to base their decision to buy a set on what a designer said in a video? „Yeah, I was gonna buy it, but then I saw that designer video and changed my mind“ :tongue: Not likely. You buy the set for the set itself, not its packaging or what a designer said.

People may claim that this affected their decision, but those people wouldn‘t have bought it either way and were just looking for excuses. And no offense, if this is it all it takes for some fans to boycot a set, they frankly don‘t deserve another fan-voted set, UCS or otherwise

20 hours ago, Samppu said:

I weigh in to this a little, because I consider the rage on these mistakes was in fact justified (albeit in the internet it easily gets out of proportion, but that is how it tends to work, unfortunately).
It is not that these mistakes themselves were so bad (we do have a clone pilot relatively easily accessible for those who desire it, and I did not believe a second that they would have made a new mold of any kind with this set, not for Cody nor the pilot on the basis how they have treated such opportunities before - e.g. missed AT-RT pilot in the 20th anniversary walker and missed Cody in the recent Soulless One).
Rather the problem that enraged the people was the highly unprofessional attitude reflected in the ignorance whether the figure is a pilot or a commander "because people anyway only remember seeing a yellow clone". For anyone buying such expensive sets, these things do matter and such details shouldn't be that hard nor expensive to take care of.

Additionally I think this episode reflects one root reason behind many short comings in Lego SW production line during the recent few years, which - as far as I am aware of - is that some of the key designers in the Lego SW team have been working there since the very beginning now two decades back in time. They were certainly the best available recruits back then who were also highly enthusiastic about the original trilogy, because that was all that there was to Star Wars back then. But things have drastically changed since then. The original designers are no longer the best nor even the most enthusiastic. We have tons of new content (I would bet that the original old school designers have not bothered to pay attention to look through it all), a myriad of new revolutionary parts and a world wide pool of genius builders who could make child friendly, low part count but still miraculously impressive snowspeeders with their left hand, whereas all we get from the original designers are repetitions of the very same design that has been around now two decades. These kinds of examples, the snowspeeder in particular but also the small things like the clone commander vs. pilot issue, are clearly a sign that the problem is no longer about time or resources.

Well said!

It's not always the actual designers that decide what sets are going to be made, so it's rather unfair to blame them

In fact I'm quite certain that it's other deparments within TLG that decides what is going to made. Changing designers will not change that

Also, OT toys just sells way better than PT and DT

4 hours ago, Thebrickstandard said:

Well said!

I concur. Although some of the designers are 'old school', I see that many of this year's sets have, in my opinion, been wonderfully designed and executed. These include the Trexler Marauder, the Havoc Marauder, the Mandalorian Starfighter, and the Mandalorian Forge this year alone. Going back in time is even more nostalgic and wonderful.

6 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

It's a problem but speaks to a larger one that you don't seem to understand. The carlessness for this set is what pisses me off and what will affect sales. Also even though they fixed it the fact is that it should never have happened. The designer shouldn't have equated a commander to a pilot and then reiterated it a month later in that designer video. From your responses, I'm going to guess that you don't care about all the mistakes and carelessness that TLG has done over the years but just cause you to feel that way doesn't mean everyone else has to. Some of us care a little more and would like TLG to listen to fans and not make as many errors. 

I'm going to make a comparison which is quite fitting here, for how far you're going with this. 

You are correct that TLG isn't a mom and pop shop but a multi million/billion dollar company where mistakes like that shouldn't happen. 

Guess what? So is Boeing. And they're even more highly regulated than TLG. 

And guess what? Through all their checks and procedures and tests and verifications, every now and then, mistakes still slip through. And cost people's lives. 

So when a company who literally can make mistakes which cost people their lives, can still make mistakes-in this day and age... It puts it into perspective the demand you're putting on TLG for their mistakes they make and how they 'shouldn't be making them'. 

Literally the only justifiable mistake that deserves to be finger pointed at, is the assumption the designer made about the Clone pilot/commander. 

It's a toy company that makes dolls based on a kiddy space opera show but somehow SW fan(atics) tend to forget that. Like. Every. Single. Time

It’s understandable how these lapses in attention to detail can be off-putting, but at the least I’m glad it doesn’t impact the quality of the builds themselves.

With what we’ve had over the summer wave, I feel like it’s one of the most diverse and interesting waves we’ve had in a long time that’s finally given some due attention to non-film media since the Clone Wars days. Not only do we get fresh locations and ships that aren’t just rehashes of existing designs, but the minifigures themselves are also some of the best we’ve had in a long time. I sincerely hope the winter wave keeps up this fresh streak.

That being said, you can see the benefits and drawbacks of how certain sets were approached. The Bad Batch Shuttle comes to mind, its additional speeders just take away from what could have been a larger and more detailed shuttle for example. Even with the minifigures, having the entire team in one set is great, but I also wonder how they would have turned out if Lego had taken the Knights of Ren approach and scattered them across different sets. Perhaps they would have been far more detailed and accurate?

Excited to see the rest of the Winter 2022 list, looks like it’ll be drip-fed to us at this rate :laugh:

Edited by T21Typhoon