MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

10 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Is this true? That's quite interesting, I never would have guessed it would be that one.

RC microfighter is not unexpected, but I'm not crazy about it. Poor Mando seems to be turning into the new farmboy Luke :laugh:

At least he's got arm printing...

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A BP and an actually new microfighter? Wow, the 2022 1HY lineup is already superior to this year‘s :laugh_hard:

I didn't get the microfighter bit at first, but...yeah, I guess you're right, the only new one was the tauntaun in the 2-pack. I wonder if the falcon microfighters actually sell well enough to justify the remakes every couple years...

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Remember that dude with the fake set list (the one with the Silver Angel to be precise)? He‘s now desperately trying to spin it in a way that he‘s still correct :laugh_hard: The lenghts some people are going…

I saw that! Honestly it'd be better for him if he cut his losses and just made a new account with an updated fake list. At least this is more entertaining.

21 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

No need to repeat the same mistake they made with the blue TLJ A-Wing, still waiting for that one to get released as a proper set :snicker: 

The Episode IX A-wing is a strange set to me, it definitely should have been blue and come with Tallie, instead of Snap.

20 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I wonder if the falcon microfighters actually sell well enough to justify the remakes every couple years...

My theory is that the Winter 2021 wave was heavily jeopardized by the pandemic, which would explain the omissions (microfighter and BPs) and the two rehashes (Falcon MF and 4+ X-Wing). They just took shortcuts to these sets.

Edited by PRbrickbuilder
IX, not XIX

9 minutes ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

My theory is that the Winter 2021 wave was heavily jeopardized by the pandemic, which would explain the omissions (microfighter and BPs) and the two rehashes (Falcon MF and 4+ X-Wing). They just took shortcuts to these sets.

I don't think the falcon itself was because of the pandemic, but I do agree that it definately messed with the production. At the very least, half the wave was delayed, and one microfighter was cancelled.

4 hours ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

The Episode XIX A-wing is a strange set to me, it definitely should have been blue and come with Tallie, instead of Snap.

Only problem is that it blew up in TLJ, so  it would‘ve been a pretty weird tie-in set. Then again, there was the Death Star set with Obi-Wan in that same wave :laugh_hard:

…and where did the other 10 episodes go? :poke:

On 9/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, TeddytheSpoon said:

that Brickset list is fascinating though. Rey's Speeder is especially surprising.

Is it tho?

It was the cheapest set of Lego's first wave on the Sequel Trilogy, which was a HUGE event (Star Wars' next trilogy coming back after 10 years).

Not to mention the build was pretty unique, and it included the movie's main character.

15 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

…and where did the other 10 episodes go? :poke:

Oops...:snicker: I guess these 10 episodes explain how Maz Kanata got Luke's lightsaber and show the origin of each one of the Knights of Ren...

Is it too much to ask for some Nightsisters next year? Doubt it will happen but that Mother Talzin minifigure looks seriously awesome! Ren and Vanee would be pretty cool too.

I see LEGO removed the UCS Gunship designer video from its YouTube channel over fan complaints. The complaints? Hans in the video referred to the Gunship as OT instead of PT, and referred to the Clone Commander as a figure that could double as a pilot. These mistakes are shocking, considering LEGO's prominence in the toy market and their professed attention to detail. Still, I cannot help but think the anger is disproportionate to the mistakes. The set is superb, and I hope blunders regarding nomenclature and logo misprints don't take away from that fact. Hopefully the backlash will prompt LEGO to take more care with the mistakes they're making, but these mistakes should in no way detract from this great set. Just my $0.02

23 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I see LEGO removed the UCS Gunship designer video from its YouTube channel over fan complaints. The complaints? Hans in the video referred to the Gunship as OT instead of PT, and referred to the Clone Commander as a figure that could double as a pilot. These mistakes are shocking, considering LEGO's prominence in the toy market and their professed attention to detail. Still, I cannot help but think the anger is disproportionate to the mistakes. The set is superb, and I hope blunders regarding nomenclature and logo misprints don't take away from that fact. Hopefully the backlash will prompt LEGO to take more care with the mistakes they're making, but these mistakes should in no way detract from this great set. Just my $0.02

I 100% agree. You have summarized my thoughts perfectly on this matter as well. 

43 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

The OT v PT thing I'm entirely convinced was a misspeak certain fans blew out of proportion. Was it somewhat funny? Yes. Does it merit this reaction? No. Note how none of the drama or criticisms of the set actually surround the set itself bar the figure, which should have been a pilot, but still. It's all nitpicks being blown out of proportion. The set itself is immaculate, not for me but gorgeous nonetheless. 

Now to cut off three more pages of Gunship discourse, I hope Mother Talzin shows up soon, it would also be nice to get a new Ventress. 

2 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

I hope Mother Talzin shows up soon, it would also be nice to get a new Ventress. 

I haven't got around to watching the trailer yet (been one of those days), but I wonder if there's any figures that could be tied in the same way that Blue Milk Luke was. Heck they'd have time to make this one in time for TSS as well :laugh:

32 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I haven't got around to watching the trailer yet (been one of those days), but I wonder if there's any figures that could be tied in the same way that Blue Milk Luke was. Heck they'd have time to make this one in time for TSS as well :laugh:

Trailer was fun! Definitely excited for the movie. I so wish they made a set coming out at the same time as these Lego Animated movies. 

Trailer was pretty good, i am really excited for it. Would love to get Mother Talzin and Nightsisters from the trailer in a set.

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

Alright fellas, is this

A: indication that MKJoshA has seen leaks and another landspeeder is coming

B: An attempt to keep us on-topic and away from arguing about the gunship mispeak like we did about the fact that the snowtrooper battle pack wasn't clones. (seriously, how did we do that?)

C: a coded plea for help that stormtroopers have infiltrated his house and have located the physical location the eurobricks servers are running on? 

jokes aside I can't tell what this means, if it is a leak reference or something I don't want to pressure you though

12 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Alright fellas, is this

B: An attempt to keep us on-topic and away from arguing about the gunship mispeak like we did about the fact that the snowtrooper battle pack wasn't clones. (seriously, how did we do that?)

C: a coded plea for help that stormtroopers have infiltrated his house and have located the physical location the eurobricks servers are running on? 

jokes aside I can't tell what this means, if it is a leak reference or something I don't want to pressure you though

Pretty sure it is Option B and we gotta just drop it. 

Looking forward to seeing more Jan 2022 news and that AT-AT (2 months!!). Excited for the Jan wave since we got things like the X-Wing and TIE out of the way for other sets that are more interesting (at least in my opinion). 

lol - that Maul was literally just the current version in front of a Grevious torso and legs. Haaa - and I even saw the genius CW version (with the exclusive robo legs and arm printing..) once on sale for 9 bucks and didn't get it.....

Anyway: was the side character Ronan from the cyber christal tv show?

31 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Alright fellas, is this

I wish I had insider info. My comment was for those who saw some previous discussion that has been hidden since it didn't need to be on the forum.

8 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

This is a great oversight of the situation. 

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I wish I had insider info. My comment was for those who saw some previous discussion that has been hidden since it didn't need to be on the forum.

Ah, thanks. I was going to go crazy if our scheduled snowspeeder arrived a year early. (2014, 2017, 2020)

9 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

The OT v PT thing I'm entirely convinced was a misspeak certain fans blew out of proportion. Was it somewhat funny? Yes. Does it merit this reaction? No. Note how none of the drama or criticisms of the set actually surround the set itself bar the figure, which should have been a pilot, but still. It's all nitpicks being blown out of proportion. The set itself is immaculate, not for me but gorgeous nonetheless. 

Now to cut off three more pages of Gunship discourse, I hope Mother Talzin shows up soon, it would also be nice to get a new Ventress. 

Yeah, it's another fun example of people taking what was clearly a mistake and making it a massive controversy. My guess is they don't do countless takes, so if someone misspeaks for a second they aren't gonna reshoot the whole thing.

While I hope talzin shows up soon, I'm not sure how they'd do it. Talzin's episodes either don't have great and iconic set ideas (the savage oppress arc, the disappeared), or are pretty megablockin' dark (the genocide one)

Edited by Mandalorianknight

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, it's another fun example of people taking what was clearly a mistake and making it a massive controversy. My guess is they don't do countless takes, so if someone misspeaks for a second they aren't gonna reshoot the whole thing.

Yep. Also, didn't mean to get us off-topic or dig up something that was meant to remain buried. I just felt the situation needed addressing. Moving along, MKJoshA :laugh:

20 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I weigh in to this a little, because I consider the rage on these mistakes was in fact justified (albeit in the internet it easily gets out of proportion, but that is how it tends to work, unfortunately).
It is not that these mistakes themselves were so bad (we do have a clone pilot relatively easily accessible for those who desire it, and I did not believe a second that they would have made a new mold of any kind with this set, not for Cody nor the pilot on the basis how they have treated such opportunities before - e.g. missed AT-RT pilot in the 20th anniversary walker and missed Cody in the recent Soulless One).
Rather the problem that enraged the people was the highly unprofessional attitude reflected in the ignorance whether the figure is a pilot or a commander "because people anyway only remember seeing a yellow clone". For anyone buying such expensive sets, these things do matter and such details shouldn't be that hard nor expensive to take care of.

Additionally I think this episode reflects one root reason behind many short comings in Lego SW production line during the recent few years, which - as far as I am aware of - is that some of the key designers in the Lego SW team have been working there since the very beginning now two decades back in time. They were certainly the best available recruits back then who were also highly enthusiastic about the original trilogy, because that was all that there was to Star Wars back then. But things have drastically changed since then. The original designers are no longer the best nor even the most enthusiastic. We have tons of new content (I would bet that the original old school designers have not bothered to pay attention to look through it all), a myriad of new revolutionary parts and a world wide pool of genius builders who could make child friendly, low part count but still miraculously impressive snowspeeders with their left hand, whereas all we get from the original designers are repetitions of the very same design that has been around now two decades. These kinds of examples, the snowspeeder in particular but also the small things like the clone commander vs. pilot issue, are clearly a sign that the problem is no longer about time or resources.

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ah, thanks. I was going to go crazy if our scheduled snowspeeder arrived a year early. (2014, 2017, 2020)

While I hope talzin shows up soon, I'm not sure how they'd do it. Talzin's episodes either don't have great and iconic set ideas (the savage oppress arc, the disappeared), or are pretty megablockin' dark (the genocide one)

Tbf this is just another one in a big series of “small” mistakes and poor decisions made by SW team at LEGO recently. Like reused burnt Obi-Wan and Anakin torso in summer 2020 sets, poor handling of fans votes for minifigs in Ucs set last year, completely tone deaf comments by designers recently “all fans remember is seeing a yellow clone in a movie”, and stupidity like Imperial logo on Gunship box(how did no one notice this?!). LEGO SW team deserves all negative comments they’ve been getting from fans recently, it’s completely their own doing.

18 minutes ago, Samppu said:

I weigh in to this a little, because I consider the rage on these mistakes was in fact justified (albeit in the internet it easily gets out of proportion, but that is how it tends to work, unfortunately).
It is not that these mistakes themselves were so bad (we do have a clone pilot relatively easily accessible for those who desire it, and I did not believe a second that they would have made a new mold of any kind with this set, not for Cody nor the pilot on the basis how they have treated such opportunities before - e.g. missed AT-RT pilot in the 20th anniversary walker and missed Cody in the recent Soulless One).
Rather the problem that enraged the people was the highly unprofessional attitude reflected in the ignorance whether the figure is a pilot or a commander "because people anyway only remember seeing a yellow clone". For anyone buying such expensive sets, these things do matter and such details shouldn't be that hard nor expensive to take care of.

Additionally I think this episode reflects one root reason behind many short comings in Lego SW production line during the recent few years, which - as far as I am aware of - is that some of the key designers in the Lego SW team have been working there since the very beginning now two decades back in time. They were certainly the best available recruits back then who were also highly enthusiastic about the original trilogy, because that was all that there was to Star Wars back then. But things have drastically changed since then. The original designers are no longer the best nor even the most enthusiastic. We have tons of new content (I would bet that the original old school designers have not bothered to pay attention to look through it all), a myriad of new revolutionary parts and a world wide pool of genius builders who could make child friendly, low part count but still miraculously impressive snowspeeders with their left hand, whereas all we get from the original designers are repetitions of the very same design that has been around now two decades. These kinds of examples, the snowspeeder in particular but also the small things like the clone commander vs. pilot issue, are clearly a sign that the problem is no longer about time or resources.

This perfectly sums up what I’ve been feeling about Sw theme recently, you put it better than I ever could.

Edited by benderisgreat

3 hours ago, Samppu said:

Well said, sir.

Even if we were talking about a children's toy - a premise which I, as a teacher surrounded by kids, have hard time accepting! Certainly not in terms of UCS anyway - Lego is still the Rolex of children's toys. Their own aspirations say as much. Nobody buying a Rolex would say "oh, the indices are misaligned, nobody will notice". True, the vast majority of people will not notice, watch enthusiasts however do. Same here.

I am not sure if the designers are the problem though. There might be strict guidelines in terms of part usage, manpower/manhour invested in the design process etc. determining the end result more than the skill or vigor of the designer. I mean, I cannot imagine any professional to be happy about his Lego contribution being marginally modified Snowspeeder No217 ...

4 hours ago, Samppu said:

They were certainly the best available recruits back then who were also highly enthusiastic about the original trilogy, because that was all that there was to Star Wars back then. But things have drastically changed since then. The original designers are no longer the best nor even the most enthusiastic. We have tons of new content (I would bet that the original old school designers have not bothered to pay attention to look through it all), a myriad of new revolutionary parts and a world wide pool of genius builders who could make child friendly, low part count but still miraculously impressive snowspeeders with their left hand, whereas all we get from the original designers are repetitions of the very same design that has been around now two decades. These kinds of examples, the snowspeeder in particular but also the small things like the clone commander vs. pilot issue, are clearly a sign that the problem is no longer about time or resources.

I don't know about the 'best designers' comment - some of the recent LEGO Star Wars sets have been of a ridiculously high quality, especially in the UCS and MBS range. I wouldn't want to speak for them, but I would imagine a company as open-minded as LEGO wouldn't let the team behind one of its most successful product lines start slacking off in the name of theme preference.

While I think that's slightly hyperbolic, there does seem to be a lot of small mistakes creeping in. Mistakes happen, of course, but there have been enough recently to suggest a lack of attention to detail. Whether this is complacency on the LSW team (not just the designers - they are far from the only ones who make LEGO sets happen) or a lack of time and/or manpower to address these is up for debate.

By and large I'm still very happy with where LSW is at this point in time, but there are a few rough edges that would be relatively easy to clean up.