MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The minifigures itself I have mixed feelings for. Maul looks absolutely amazing, I love all the prints and his new face. My only nitpick is that they haven't used the longer hilt for his lightsaber. Like come on Lego, it exists now, so use it.

Unfortunately they've already gone on record as saying they didn't even consider doing this because the current hilt piece is "too synonymous" with lightsabers, so it probably won't happen in future sets either. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the piece was available in the right color in a different set... I guess we'll just have to keep waiting.

I might be in the minority but I don't think Maul needs the longer hilt. The lightsabre hilts are already basically as long as a figure's leg, and while I appreciate the scale is way out whack, I don't think the longer hilt would achieve anything other than looking slightly goofy.

43 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I might be in the minority but I don't think Maul needs the longer hilt. The lightsabre hilts are already basically as long as a figure's leg, and while I appreciate the scale is way out whack, I don't think the longer hilt would achieve anything other than looking slightly goofy.

I agree, I think it would look a little cartoonish. Is there a picture with the set-up? Not opposed to it but I think it would look wonky. 

22 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Prices for all sorts of collectibles have risen enormously as there's lots of "new money" in the world and thus people with astronomical amounts of cash deciding to get in on collectible things. It's happened a bit with collectible video game sales for instance, and I won't get started on NFTs - not the same thing, but an example of people splashing extreme amounts of money on basically nothing. Sanity and sustainability play no role.

This seems like the 90s all over again when it comes to collectibles.  People realized at that time that "Hey, these rare baseball cards from the 50s are going for a lot of money, if I buy a bunch of cards from now, in 30-40 years, they'll be worth something!" and then that mentality carried over a ton of collectibles, Beanie Babies being a prominent example.  In the trading card example, very few cards from the 90s are worth more than the paper they're printed on.  

I can't see this sustaining, as there are people buying up current sets as "investments" and trying to resell them later.  For some stuff, I think it's possible, but I highly doubt every single set is going to hold value in the future.

At some point, the bubble will burst.

4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I can't see this sustaining, as there are people buying up current sets as "investments" and trying to resell them later.  For some stuff, I think it's possible, but I highly doubt every single set is going to hold value in the future.

This is what I was telling myself 10 years ago when all those “LEGO is a better investment than gold” articles were floating around.

This seems like the 90s all over again when it comes to collectibles.  People realized at that time that "Hey, these rare baseball cards from the 50s are going for a lot of money, if I buy a bunch of cards from now, in 30-40 years, they'll be worth something!" and then that mentality carried over a ton of collectibles, Beanie Babies being a prominent example.  In the trading card example, very few cards from the 90s are worth more than the paper they're printed on.  

There are some figs and sets that will always be valuable; chromes come to mind immediately, as do Rex and Thrawn tho they should become much less of an issue in the near future if Lego doesn’t drop the ball on TBB and Ahsoka. The 20th Ann Slave One, Kylo’s shuttle and Vader’s castle are all works of art that will rightfully appreciate in value. But so much of it is such a stupid false inflation mess. That one Lando figure, Bail Organa, Fulcrum…they’re the product of hype trains primarily. I cant wait for the inevitable crash so we can go back to business as usual. Hopefully the YouTube TM culture around Lego dies in the next few years, but it’ll never go back to the much more lowkey 2012 community and that sucks. 

There are a lot of factors in what make a set valuable. If anything, it seems like older Lego Star Wars sets from 1999 - 2007 look to be slightly going down in value/stabilizing outside of odd ones (Cloud City). I think TCW sets will go down in value if Lego remakes a ton of those vehicles (AT-TE, LAAT, Venator) and as time goes on and people start to lose interest. Its a lot like Pokemon games, 1-2 generations become extremely expensive before dipping in value again once people lose interest or a remake comes out. As for figures, Rex, Thrawn, and the others will always be extremely valuable the more shows/comics/games they're in and the less sets they're available in. 

Spoiler

Just look at how Cad Bane suddenly exploded in value despite being in only two episodes 

18 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

In 2000's, nobody was thinking on store legos to increase their profit.

I haver one example: I have a 7666. I thought: WOW, this LIMITED set will increase with time. It rose from $60 to $110. Then, stopped. New and better sets came, and made it obsolete. I even forget to sell the 7666. It is still in attic...

The 2000's sets were great. But do they worth more than they valued? NO way...

except from VERY RARE STUFF like Chrome Vaders, there is no reason for this bubble.

But it will not burst. It rises and keeps their top value, like my example. Inflation eats their value thru time. Bricklink is a very interesting market to observe thru time.

Edited by Mr Meleca

Please keep the political and social stuff out of this. The point about more people buying luxury items is one thing, but the rest CERTAINLY does not belong here on Eurobricks.

And a reminder to everyone: if you see this sort of thing on Eurobricks, report it and don't engage.

Of course investing in LEGO isn't a sure thing, and you're not going to make a lot of money out of it unless you start to put a lot of time and resources in. Within Star Wars, there's almost always the risk that figures and models might be made obsolete by later, better ones, but in some cases it's a more sure thing that that won't occur, like P1 Commander Wolffe for example. To quote Jango: "we won't be seeing him again".

Doubling your money is pretty good in any setting though, even if the market price doesn't continue to rise beyond that.

3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

There are some figs and sets that will always be valuable; chromes come to mind immediately, as do Rex and Thrawn tho they should become much less of an issue in the near future if Lego doesn’t drop the ball on TBB and Ahsoka. The 20th Ann Slave One, Kylo’s shuttle and Vader’s castle are all works of art that will rightfully appreciate in value. But so much of it is such a stupid false inflation mess. That one Lando figure, Bail Organa, Fulcrum…they’re the product of hype trains primarily. I cant wait for the inevitable crash so we can go back to business as usual. Hopefully the YouTube TM culture around Lego dies in the next few years, but it’ll never go back to the much more lowkey 2012 community and that sucks. 

What I’m pretty shocked by is the Shadow ARF Trooper. He’s going for a bundle right now. A few years ago he was going for a hell of a lot less. If I wasn’t so attached to my clone army, I’d consider selling mine. 

3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Yeah, I agree for sure.  Promotional stuff, chrome Vader/C-3PO (which were super limited to begin with) or stuff like Cloud City Boba/Lando that's old and exclusive, and seen entirely as a collectible piece, I can understand the value for.  However, just because something is "old" or "rare" doesn't mean it's valuable, which is where a lot of people seem to have a differing opinion from me. 

LEGO isn't a collectible in the same way that other collectibles are - it's not limited in its release.  For example, if you're into trading cards, you can't just walk into any old store and buy a rookie card of the hottest new player in the league, you need to buy packs and search it out, and it's going to typically be a lot more limited than your average card.  With LEGO, other than some UCS stuff, you can walk into any store that sells sets and find the same selection anywhere (perhaps with the exception of our friends in Australia, as their stock issues are apparently absurd).  Even though some stuff at release (Mando BP, 501st Troopers, etc) is rarer, after 6 months, they're everywhere.  A 501st Clone Troopers set is just as "rare" as a Millenium Falcon microfighter.  

My point is that, of course as stuff becomes older, sealed copies become more scarce, but that doesn't mean it's justifiable to pay hundreds of dollars for a battle pack just because it's sealed and was released 6 years ago.  And yes, I know it's a demand-driven thing, and people are (apparently) paying that much, but that doesn't mean I can't say it's dumb!  

And I fully agree about the culture, I've even seen some Instagram accounts that are talking about "LEGO investing" which is pretty much just them hoarding sets and then reselling for 3x the price as soon as they retire, which I can't see lasting either.  Everyone's going to have 50 sealed copies of Duel on Mandalore sitting around in 4 years and the market is gonna be flooded with them all going for $80 each.  

Promotional stuff, chrome Vader/C-3PO (which were super limited to begin with) or stuff like Cloud City Boba/Lando that's old and exclusive, and seen entirely as a collectible piece, I can understand the value for.  However, just because something is "old" or "rare" doesn't mean it's valuable, which is where a lot of people seem to have a differing opinion from me.   

Well the thing is if your favorite character is Darth Vader you can find him in a set almost every year and buying his chrome figure would be an extra step to have a "luxury collectible" of your favorite character. On the other hand if your favorite character is Zeb, Pre Vizsla , Queen Amidala in her iconic dress or Tactical Droid you have no other choices than to buy their figures no matter the cost if you want your favorite character in your collection cause they came out in 1 set years and years ago. Your opinion is right this is dumb and insane, but this is strictly the issue of LEGO not remaking sought after stuff. Just look at Qui-Gon figure from 1999-2002 it's worth 3$ even though it's rare and old just cause we got 7 other figures of him after it. This is exactly why i don't see insane prices stopping anytime soon. Gar Saxon and Paz Vizsla will never be made again and their figures will be 60$ + in just a few years after the sets retire and if LEGO doesn't have something else to replace 501st set for phase 2 clone army builders as soon as 501st set retires people will be buying them for 2-3 times the price. There is a huge demand for so many things and people have no other choices than to hop on bricklink and buy old stuff pumping up the price higher and higher while LEGO is too buy making same sets over and over or focusing on helmets and brickbuilt characters.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Well the thing is if your favorite character is Darth Vader you can find him in a set almost every year and buying his chrome figure would be an extra step to have a "luxury collectible" of your favorite character. On the other hand if your favorite character is Zeb, Pre Vizsla , Queen Amidala in her iconic dress or Tactical Droid you have no other choices than to buy their figures no matter the cost if you want your favorite character in your collection cause they came out in 1 set years and years ago. Your opinion is right this is dumb and insane, but this is strictly the issue of LEGO not remaking sought after stuff. Just look at Qui-Gon figure from 1999-2002 it's worth 3$ even though it's rare and old just cause we got 7 other figures of him after it. This is exactly why i don't see insane prices stopping anytime soon. Gar Saxon and Paz Vizsla will never be made again and their figures will be 60$ + in just a few years after the sets retire and if LEGO doesn't have something else to replace 501st set for phase 2 clone army builders as soon as 501st set retires people will be buying them for 2-3 times the price. There is a huge demand for so many things and people have no other choices than to hop on bricklink and buy old stuff pumping up the price higher and higher while LEGO is too buy making same sets over and over or focusing on helmets and brickbuilt characters.

That's not really on TLG though. The collector market that will pay through the nose for individual figures like you say is much smaller than the kids' or even adult market (not necessarily minifig collectors) that makes up the bulk of their business.

I can see Gar and a few other figures recently going the same way as well. I'm not a figure collector by any means but I do hope the bubble bursts soon, if only to get the secondary market to chill a bit. 

Pretty tired about that finch Dallow case and all that speculation on lego.

I wait now TLG to release a microfighter resistance bomber with Finch to burst that bubble :)

Just finished building the gunship :pir-yoda:

It’s good as is but there is room for improvement in the model. There’s a lot of unused space in the front and the missile belts could’ve been actual belts going into the wings. I’ve built a few of the more notorious UCS sets but this is by far the most fragile, lots of parts in the cockpit subassembly are poorly secured. The bubble turrets are flimsy too, they could’ve been attached to the body better with CCBS bones (or older Bionicle parts). A second set of removable doors would’ve been a welcome addition, I think this is the first modification I’m going to make. The large ball socket pieces used on the three smaller guns have poor clutch power. By far the biggest disappointment of the model is the big grey support beam in the middle of the cargo hold. A bulkier technic frame around the outside of the cargo bay would’ve provided enough support and any design concessions made in this regard would’ve been less intrusive than the beam. With the beam eliminated from the design there would’ve been adequate space for a speeder bike which would’ve perfectly complemented the gunship, especially if it included a similar information plaque. 

All said, still a very impressive display piece and was a fun building experience. I’ve left the stickers off of mine, I think I might keep it that way. The 2 minifigures are nice, love the burnt orange. I’m assuming Mace Windu would’ve been the most requested Jedi during the vote.

56 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

That's not really on TLG though. The collector market that will pay through the nose for individual figures like you say is much smaller than the kids' or even adult market (not necessarily minifig collectors) that makes up the bulk of their business.

Yeah it's not all TLG even if they remake stuff so called investors will find some other figure/set and inflate it's price, but they would definitely break multiple bubbles very fast and end their bad practices. I can already see Mando Fighter retiring and group of people buying out every Gar Saxon on the market and then setting the price for him to 60$ and there will be people that will still buy it. I just don't see a way out of this mess. It will get worse and worse, i love resellers and i don't mind paying extra or double for old sets or figures, but we are at the point where 1 figure costs double than the entire set did. Like thrawn is 80$, set was 40$ just 3 years ago.

21 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I gave my maul figure the longer hilt (Dark bluish gray off bricklink), I like it. His lightsaber is already pretty long, the extra few millimeters off the hilt don't make a huge difference, but it looks kind of nice for him to have a different hilt.

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The bubble turrets are flimsy too, they could’ve been attached to the body better with CCBS bones (or older Bionicle parts). A second set of removable doors would’ve been a welcome addition, I think this is the first modification I’m going to make. 

Rumor has it the CCBS parts are being retired. The main CCBS bone hasn't been used since the last star wars CCBS in early 2018. And almost all the Bionicle parts are definitely gone, aside from maybe the Bohrok and Barraki eyes (which have just become standard system/technic parts).

32 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Rumor has it the CCBS parts are being retired. 

What a shame if true, the parts have so much potential.

Also, forgot to mention that the gunship is very back heavy and tends to lean backwards if it’s not on the stand.

12 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Please keep the political and social stuff out of this. The point about more people buying luxury items is one thing, but the rest CERTAINLY does not belong here on Eurobricks.

And a reminder to everyone: if you see this sort of thing on Eurobricks, report it and don't engage.

Of course investing in LEGO isn't a sure thing, and you're not going to make a lot of money out of it unless you start to put a lot of time and resources in. Within Star Wars, there's almost always the risk that figures and models might be made obsolete by later, better ones, but in some cases it's a more sure thing that that won't occur, like P1 Commander Wolffe for example. To quote Jango: "we won't be seeing him again".

Doubling your money is pretty good in any setting though, even if the market price doesn't continue to rise beyond that.

my apologies

post edited

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

What I’m pretty shocked by is the Shadow ARF Trooper. He’s going for a bundle right now. A few years ago he was going for a hell of a lot less. If I wasn’t so attached to my clone army, I’d consider selling mine. 

It's worse than that, the Shadow ARF is one of three figs i don't own and I keep tabs on the price. I found multiple for sale a few months ago as cheap as $120 (which is still stupid expensive) Now I'm only seeing $200 - $300. Now way I'm spending that on a non-canon promo fig. This is the same reason i don't have Chrome Vader and Chrome 3-PO (although he's always been rare and expnsive).

16 minutes ago, Archer said:

It's worse than that, the Shadow ARF is one of three figs i don't own and I keep tabs on the price. I found multiple for sale a few months ago as cheap as $120 (which is still stupid expensive) Now I'm only seeing $200 - $300. Now way I'm spending that on a non-canon promo fig. This is the same reason i don't have Chrome Vader and Chrome 3-PO (although he's always been rare and expnsive).

I had to check that price on the shadow ARF...holy megablocks! Glad I got mine last year pre-pandemic when things were high but not crazy. 

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

I finished building the Bad Batch Shuttle yesterday. It's a nice build and I love the techniques. But it does not hold up to the 3-year-old-boy test. The side panels keep falling off. And it drives me nuts that you can't hold it by the top fin! Love the figs though. My copy did NOT come with an extra Wrecker armor piece. Anyone else have that?

56 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I finished building the Bad Batch Shuttle yesterday. It's a nice build and I love the techniques. But it does not hold up to the 3-year-old-boy test. The side panels keep falling off. And it drives me nuts that you can't hold it by the top fin! Love the figs though. My copy did NOT come with an extra Wrecker armor piece. Anyone else have that?

Then I guess it's a good thing the set is rated 9 and up :tongue:

I've seen a couple complaints about the side panels falling off but I have yet to have that happen once. I also don't understand the complaints people seem to have that you can't hold the ship by the middle fin,  aka the thinnist, most structurally weak part of a design like this, LEGO or otherwise. I have no idea why you'd want to do that. If anything, it makes it more unwieldy to swoosh than just holding it from the center mass. Not even as a little kid did I swoosh ships like that, did other people actually do that?

Mine also did not come with an extra Wrecker armor piece unfortunately. It must just be a lucky few.

Edited by ToaDraco

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The bubble turrets are flimsy too, they could’ve been attached to the body better with CCBS bones (or older Bionicle parts). A second set of removable doors would’ve been a welcome addition

This set could have been elevated with a simple 2in1, by allowing to choose between either the traditional LAAT but bubble turrets or the version with front doors seen in Clone Wars (as set 7676). I personally prefer the look of the latter.

26 minutes ago, storskogen said:

This set could have been elevated with a simple 2in1, by allowing to choose between either the traditional LAAT but bubble turrets or the version with front doors seen in Clone Wars (as set 7676). I personally prefer the look of the latter.

Add some searchlights to swap out with the turret and boom! Just like 75192