MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Ok someone explain this to me.  The Finch Dallow figure is going for $500+. Yet at the same time I can buy 75188 sealed for less that $200, which includes Finch.  That makes no sense to me.

19 minutes ago, MSY-MSP said:

Ok someone explain this to me.  The Finch Dallow figure is going for $500+. Yet at the same time I can buy 75188 sealed for less that $200, which includes Finch.  That makes no sense to me.

Are you sure it is the version that includes Finch? 

25 minutes ago, MSY-MSP said:

So it's a very rare figure cause it wasn't originally in the set. LEGO decided to swap up 1 of the other pilots and put Finch instead. This was a year after the set was released and most of the people that wanted it already got it so it's very rare in very few sets. Those sets that you see for 200$ are most likely old versions or someone clueless selling them, on bricklink and on ebay i only see prices around 1000$ for it. Character was really impactful for some people even though he was only in the movie for few seconds, he has exclusive helmet and face print.

3 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

stares intensely at "In Warehouse" status

Lego.com has this message:  "We expect to see shipping delays over the coming days. We’re working hard to get your items delivered as quickly as possible and will send you an email when your order ships. Please check your Order Status for updates."

If that's the case then take this line off your site:  "

• Items in stock ship the next business day (Monday through Friday excluding holidays) if placed by 12pm EST."

5 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

Lego.com has this message:  "We expect to see shipping delays over the coming days. We’re working hard to get your items delivered as quickly as possible and will send you an email when your order ships. Please check your Order Status for updates."

If that's the case then take this line off your site:  "

• Items in stock ship the next business day (Monday through Friday excluding holidays) if placed by 12pm EST."

Yeah that is definitely a hard point. I know they are doing their best and at least in the US, there has to be so many orders they have to work through. Granting a 1 week grace period. 

Happy my BB Shuttle and Meditation Chamber got shipped.

First time ever I bought the entire wave...was gonna miss the Marauder until seeing the reviews and figures, I had to pick it up.  

3 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Yeah that is definitely a hard point. I know they are doing their best and at least in the US, there has to be so many orders they have to work through. Granting a 1 week grace period. 

Happy my BB Shuttle and Meditation Chamber got shipped.

First time ever I bought the entire wave...was gonna miss the Marauder until seeing the reviews and figures, I had to pick it up.  

On the order status page it has "Your order status may remain ‘In Warehouse’ for several days as we’re currently receiving very high volumes of orders."

How are they not prepared for this after what happened with 75192?  This is a UCS release, along with several sets from popular TV shows.  Did you not see this coming?

The Finch Dallow thing is some megablocks. I have one, so on one hand I guess I benefit from it costing $500, but as of 13 February 2020--not even 18 months ago--that figure only cost about $65 on BrickLink. I know that exact date and price because I texted somebody about it being expensive at the time. Prices for aftermarket LEGOs have risen enormously across the board over the last year, and at some point the LEGO community is going to have to have a reckoning with it, 'cuz this is neither sane nor sustainable.

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

So it's a very rare figure cause it wasn't originally in the set. LEGO decided to swap up 1 of the other pilots and put Finch instead. This was a year after the set was released and most of the people that wanted it already got it so it's very rare in very few sets. Those sets that you see for 200$ are most likely old versions or someone clueless selling them, on bricklink and on ebay i only see prices around 1000$ for it. Character was really impactful for some people even though he was only in the movie for few seconds, he has exclusive helmet and face print.

Thanks for the information on this.  I probably have it sitting in my basement as I got the bomber well over a year after it was released when it went on sale at Target

21 minutes ago, MSY-MSP said:

Thanks for the information on this.  I probably have it sitting in my basement as I got the bomber well over a year after it was released when it went on sale at Target

Don't count on it--the new figure was introduced so late that by the time it became public knowledge the set was already retired in the US. That's what all the commotion was about two years ago. As far as I know practically nobody has gotten one new out of the box; most of the people who have them got them from LEGO customer service's replacement parts thing after the fact. If you have a new one with the new figure on the box, definitely keep it sealed! And probably in bubble wrap or something. Of the 71 copies of the set on BrickLink right now, only three are the Finch version, and the sellers are asking $800, $960, and $1500 for them.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Prices for aftermarket LEGOs have risen enormously across the board over the last year, and at some point the LEGO community is going to have to have a reckoning with it, 'cuz this is neither sane nor sustainable.

Prices for all sorts of collectibles have risen enormously as there's lots of "new money" in the world and thus people with astronomical amounts of cash deciding to get in on collectible things. It's happened a bit with collectible video game sales for instance, and I won't get started on NFTs - not the same thing, but an example of people splashing extreme amounts of money on basically nothing. Sanity and sustainability play no role.

LEGO has gotten increasingly popular, so it was only a matter of time until that bled over into the LEGO secondary market. Luckily it's not all bad yet; plenty of themes and types of things have remained relatively stable on Bricklink, but for the really popular and widely talked about ones like Star Wars, the time has passed when the rare figures were remotely affordable.

I remember the days when original Cloud City Lando was a very desirable figure, and went for about $30, which I thought was insane for a figure at the time.

Got Duel on Mandalore recently. 

The main reasons why I got it is because I collect the new line of lightsaber duel sets (Starkiller, Mustafar, and now Mandalore), and because I wanted more Clone Wars representation, along with my first Ahsoka and Maul.

The minifigures itself I have mixed feelings for. Maul looks absolutely amazing, I love all the prints and his new face. My only nitpick is that they haven't used the longer hilt for his lightsaber. Like come on Lego, it exists now, so use it. Ahsoka... hairpiece and torso are good. I don't like the legs, they are kinda inaccurate and they look pretty awkward without dual-moulding, same as arms. The face is also pretty bad, especially the eyes without pupils. 

The build itself works just fine. The cell is a great build, while the throne... nothing too exciting. It all just doesn't seem worth 20€ as a set tbh.

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Bit of a leap in logic, don't ya think? There are other reasons it could be 15, like that it's an army building set, and they didn't expect it to sell out so quickly. (Plus, they don't get more money if specific people buy 15, and with the people lamenting the decision to do that because they couldn't get any, as well as the fact that it's not that hard to bypass limits like that, and you can see that their profit wouldn't really have changed had the limit been 2 or something)

I think it's a mistake for them to have made the limit 15, but I highly doubt it's some sort of maniacal greed-stricken move.

True, but I think there is a bit of selfishness/inconsideration there. For lego, it doesn't matter what the limit is or whether most people can buy the set, as long as they sell all their stock. However, making the limit so high makes it almost impossible for most people to get it. They might not be greedy, but just really inconsiderate to the average consumer

Y’now the more I look at Gideon’s Cruiser, the more I dislike it. Jang’s review really showed me the ugly sides of that model. I’m not so sure I want it now.

Does anyone know if Lego releases sales numbers or at-least reports on which sets are popular and which aren't? The only way I can think to tell if something is popular is if it retires later than the expected 1.5-2 year cycle. I ask the question because I want to know if the OT UCS sets like the A-Wing and Y-Wing actually sell well. I always wondered why there was a lack of prequel sets but after joining this forum and watching yt videos I understood that it was due to a lack of sales and decreasing interest on the last prequel UCS set, the Obi-Wan Starfighter. However I don't understand where that talking point comes from. The set was retired (1y 4m) very early in comparison to the other UCS sets around that time, Imp Shuttle (2 y 3m) and SSD (2y 9m), so I guess that was there motivation behind focusing solely on OT. However over the next 7-8 years the B-Wing, Assault on Hoth, and Y-Wing all were retired fairly early after less than a year and a half; and assuming that early retirement means poor sales or a lack of interest why not shift back to prequel sets or try out UCS for the sequel trilogy. The A-Wing hasn't retired yet but I can't imagine its sales have been great and the Star Destroyer is always available and never gets put on backorder/sold out which tells me it ain't selling well either. That's not to say that prequels would sell better but Lego doesn't know that for sure because they haven't tried. My point is why is there a consensus in this forum and by Lego that prequel UCS won't sell if its been 10 years since one came out and no concrete numbers are ever released. Also I wan't on the internet ten years ago so for those of you who were was there a consensus that prequels sucked or that the prequel lego stuff wasn't popular. From what I remember I loved getting the prequel era stuff but maybe that was just me. 

Also I know the Gunship didn't win by a landslide 90% but considering it got 58% of the vote thats more than the combined vote totals of the 2 OT sets combined. Even if some idiots don't put there money where there mouth is I'd imagine sales will still be good or at-least better than the less popular OT UCS. Anyway that was just my two cents after reading through some old comments in this forum and doing a bit or research on retirements of UCS sets. Hopefully I conveyed the point i was trying to correctly. 

Edited by kidtheboss611
Grammar

18 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Does anyone know if Lego releases sales numbers or at-least reports on which sets are popular and which aren't?

Short answer: No, they don’t. Ever. Which is why it’s very hard to estimate the actual success of sets, unless we get confirmation from someone in the know. Reaching EOL status soon is often used, but it’s a flawed metric since success is not the only factor here. Also, it’s hard to compare the lifespans of sets, even within themes :shrug_oh_well:

Another thing to consider is that D2C sets are more numerous than they used to be. We’re at three a year now, whereas there was only one a year not too long ago. Having more sets compete with each other also affects the lifespan of sets, so a lifespan of 1.5 years in 2010 and 1.5 years in 2020 doesn’t necessarily have the same implications, sales-wise.

In essence, we’ll only be able to properly judge the success of the Gunship once another PT UCS set hits the market

21 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I always wondered why there was a lack of prequel sets but after joining this forum and watching yt videos I understood that it was due to a lack of sales and decreasing interest on the last prequel UCS set, the Obi-Wan Starfighter. However I don't understand where that talking point comes from. 

My point is why is there a consensus in this forum and by Lego that prequel UCS won't sell if its been 10 years since one came out and no concrete numbers are ever released. Also I wan't on the internet ten years ago so for those of you who were was there a consensus that prequels sucked or that the prequel lego stuff wasn't popular. From what I remember I loved getting the prequel era stuff but maybe that was just me. 

As someone who was on the internet (including this site and paying attention to this forum) ten years ago, I'll share my insight just from memory. LEGO does release their annual report in which they share over profits and a breakdown of top performing themes, but as a privately owned company it's their complete discretion what to share and how they shape the narrative. They have never provided breakdowns within themes of top performing sets, but of course internally they'd be looking at those kind of number.

The fact that the Obi-Wan Starfighter performed badly was pretty clear cut. It wasn't just retired quickly, but was put on sale by LEGO themselves and lasted on sale for a good little while, which never happened with UCS sets. Then we have the benefit of hindsight and LEGO never touching more prequel material at the UCS level to know that it truly must have underperformed.

When you ask if there was a consensus if the Prequels sucked, you have to look at where. I'd say there was a fairly broad internet and public opinion wide consensus that the Prequels were not good. Especially amongst fans who had either seen Star Wars when it originally released or gotten into it with the theatrical re releases in the 90s, the Prequels really felt like the floor being pulled out from under them. That was the broad consensus.

However, when we're talking about AFOL Star Wars fandom 10-20 years ago, it's a bit different. Some AFOL Star Wars fans certainly liked all of the new designs even if they found certain narrative elements so so, so it's not like everyone on this site only cared about the OT sets and nothing else. The people really hard core into Star Wars liked everything.

But the UCS-buying market was another different subsection again. Bear in mind that LEGO's popularity was nothing like it is today, and though the adult market was surely bigger than LEGO gave it credit, it was still much smaller than today. That adult LEGO-buying Star Wars fan market would have skewed more towards the general population consensus, the type of people who loved the OT but not the PT. They'd be people who grew up with both Star Wars and LEGO and therefore would buy a UCS OT ship but certainly not something from the Prequels. They'd be people who wouldn't buy the regular Star Wars sets, but would see LEGO had made this gigantic detailed ship, and buy that.

It's taken LEGO probably longer than it should've to notice that things have changed. Their big-set-buying market is much bigger, and a whole lot more people feel warmly towards the PT than did 10+ years ago.

54 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

snip

I don't think they do, but i personally use brickset to determine how well sets are selling. 
According to brickset LEGO sold:
13522 Death stars
4778 Obi Wans starfighters with the lowest "i want this set" numbers out of all of this sets
6991 super star destroyers
10189 R2-D2s
11902 ewok villages
9874 x-wings
9962 sandcrawlers
17095 slave 1s
10857 tie fighters
You can clearly see Obi Wans starfighter sold horribly and it still has terrible i want this set numbers. Even though i love prequels with all my heart i can put my feelings aside and see it wasn't a good financial move to keep making sets that would sell that badly and i can see that LEGO had no thoughts about even making prequel ucs sets again when they had things like slave 1, ewok village etc. selling so good. Just with a small sample size of people using brickset Slave 1 sold almost 4 times as many sets as Obi Wan's starfighter. Lot of people including me said LEGO hates prequels etc., but if you check out the numbers it's purely a business decision cause after all LEGO is a company.

You also mentioned Y-wing which sold 7558 sets so almost double as Obi Wan's starfighter, worst selling UCS set nowadays is star destroyer which is IN MY OPINION very expensive, very large, has no interior and minifigures are bad and if my memory is correct even one of the leakers said it's selling badly on this forum giving some accuracy to brickset numbers. Only set that sold worse was assault on hoth.

I remember clear as day going with my friends in a store to buy lego sets in 2010 and not a single one of us was interested in the Obi Wan's set, it was also competing with much better sets for the same price like AT-AT, Venator, Slave 1, Clone Turbo tank, the battle of endor etc, ton of amazing battlepacks aswell... 
Let's say you are a child with 100 dollars and see the battle of endor with 12 minifigures, bunker, catapult, flying ewok, cool speeders and at-st and near it sad looking obi wan's starfighter with no Obi Wan for the same price, no wonder it sold horribly. 

Yes prequels were hated, people constantly complained about jar-jar, they were saying how senate and political stuff dragged out and they complained about midichlorians, acting, dialog and cgi. Actor that played Jar-Jar was so hated he attempted suicide. People that spread hate and complained are the ones that grew up with original trilogy and didn't like new movies. Now prequel fans that grew up with those movies and love them are becoming vocal on the internet and are working and have a huge budget to spend on things like LEGO so everything shifted. (Clone wars and filling up gaps with clone wars also brought in a lot of fans.)

Let's say you are a child with 100 dollars and see the battle of endor with 12 minifigures, bunker, catapult, flying ewok, cool speeders and at-st and near it sad looking obi wan's starfighter with no Obi Wan for the same price, no wonder it sold horribly. 

This is a good illustration of the demographic problem that set had IMO - cheap enough to be accessible to younger fans, but younger fans don't buy UCS sets that much (even more so 10 years ago).

What are the aftermarket prices for that set like? On the one hand i assume the scarcity would drive it up, but then if the demand hasn't ever caught up... 

You can clearly see Obi Wans starfighter sold horribly and it still has terrible i want this set numbers. 

I honestly like the movie's design of the ship, I just didn't like the UCS LEGO design. The flat white portion on top should have been curved, and the scale of R4 in relation to the rest of the ship wasn't right. For me, UCS set appeal often comes down to accuracy, and Obi-Wan's starfighter doesn't have as much as I'd like. I'd have no problem buying it if they re-released it with some design updates to make it more accurate. In other words, my personal lack of desire to be the UCS Obi Wan's Starfighter has nothing to do with the fact that it's a prequel set... I like the ship, just not LEGO's take on it.

11 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

I just received the shipping notification email from Lego for my UCS Gunship.

Did you order right at release? Trying to judge since I got mine in ~45 min post release time. Hope it ships very soon or waits until after next weekend when I'll be out of town. 

29 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Did you order right at release? Trying to judge since I got mine in ~45 min post release time. Hope it ships very soon or waits until after next weekend when I'll be out of town. 

Yeah I did.

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

What are the aftermarket prices for that set like? On the one hand i assume the scarcity would drive it up, but then if the demand hasn't ever caught up... 

Cheapest sealed on bricklink is 250$ in canada,same seller is selling venator sealed from the same time period and similar cost for almost 800$.

2 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I honestly like the movie's design of the ship, I just didn't like the UCS LEGO design. 

Yeah, completely understandable. Not a big fan of the design either.

Edited by PreVizsla