MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

And I really don't understand why people get caught up on others criticising a YouTuber. 

Because most of us here are to discuss LEGO star wars 2021 sets not LEGO youtubers. And imo it's quite different if we talk about X famous person for example actor pedro pascal that will never know about it and if we straight up insult Y famous person that is a member of the forum and that reads messages here. At that point it's the same as all of us insulting each other.

@Mandalorianknight The only problem i have with you is that you are unable to accept someone thinks differently than you. You have to tag them, argue with them and then ridicule them. My favorite sw movie is
the phantom menace and i buy ucs sets mostly cause of minifigures such as ucs batwing where figures would have cost me 150$ plus shipping or i can just buy the entire thing for 200$. Now instead of accepting my opinion and stating yours you have to argue me and say how bad phantom menace is bad and how the main point of ucs set aren't minifigures etc. Recently i said how i hate stormtrooper helmets and other joined in on discussing said their opinion and we moved on, i didn't harass people over it or try to change their minds or ridiculed them for it. Feel free to argue me on my assumptions and speculations cause sometimes i say stupid stuff like assuming gunship got 90% of the vote cause i am surrounded daily by 50-200 prequel fans and i had no idea so many people wanted nebulon, but if you have to argue everything i say, like and do you can just block me here and save others from constant arguing. 

I know it's not a good way to measure sales, but on Brickset Gunship is beating imperial light cruiser and Vader's meditation chambers in the numbers of set owned so i think that's pretty good.

Head over to brickset, type in the 202- Star Wars sets and you can see some of the designers explain the final outcome of the set that is on the shelves. Super interesting! 

César Soares - Mandalorian Fighter: 

“This was fun to design and also challenging in some parts. 

The wings were a bit of a nightmare because of the multiple layers. Making it easy to build by a 9 year old was not easy.

Then there is the 2 elephants in the room: the gaps on the cockpit and the lack of landing gear. 
The cockpit had to be able to accommodate 2 figures, with helmets and jet packs. This meant that they had to seat straight inside the cockpit. And for that, the Minifigure arms have to fit inside the 4 available modules in width, so the sides of the cockpit where lower, leaving an unsightly gap. So, sadly, the gap was a compromise in favour of 2 Minifigures fitting inside the cockpit.

A retractable landing gear, that was sturdy enough, would always be tricky here because it would always get in the way when you rotate the cockpit in flight mode. We chose tot to put one for the sake of simplicity.”

Meditation Chamber: 

“Where does the Darth Vader meditates? On his chamber of course. Built almost exclusively for display the canopy does have the ability to go up and down, so fans can display it either closed or in open mode. 

The canopy function also means that some gaps are present to allow for a smother integration when moving it up and down. Perhaps some of them could have been smaller, but we felt that most fan will display it in open mode, so those wouldn't be as noticeable.”

Main takeaway is that Lego seems to be making too many of these trade-offs instead of rectifying both. Either way super interesting and appreciate stuff like this majorly. 

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

get in the way when you rotate the cockpit in flight mode

That made me laugh. The ball joint they used already hinders the whole rotation gimmick because of the friction... would’ve much preferred something like a b-wing cockpit that rotates freely with gravity. While we’re at it, anybody with the Mando fighter notice the front part of the cockpit area likes to tear itself apart? Specifically the plates that attach to the large angled base pieces underneath. Between that, the friction in the cockpit and a couple other minor nitpicks the mando fighter has unexpectedly become my least favourite set in the wave (still like it lot, even considering a second one at some point).

Also, before anyone calls out my previous comment regarding the doors on the Gunship, that was directed at the people who think the door should cover the whole troop bay like the LAATs in TCW. I consider the complaints in the video @DeductedMiller posted to be perfectly valid. 

Those excuses for the cockpit gaps and lack of landing gear in the Mandalorian Starfighter are pretty weak, considering that the 2012 version had neither flaw.

Picked up the Mandalorian starfighter, it’s a very nice set, minifigures are great. Build was pretty simple and repetitive. Not a fan of the look when the ship is in landing mode, having the side of the wings that show the under side of the bricks facing you in that position does not make it pretty to look at. I have seen someone switch the wings around so it can look nice when landed which looks better.

4 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Because most of us here are to discuss LEGO star wars 2021 sets not LEGO youtubers. And imo it's quite different if we talk about X famous person for example actor pedro pascal that will never know about it and if we straight up insult Y famous person that is a member of the forum and that reads messages here. At that point it's the same as all of us insulting each other.

@Mandalorianknight The only problem i have with you is that you are unable to accept someone thinks differently than you. You have to tag them, argue with them and then ridicule them. My favorite sw movie is
the phantom menace and i buy ucs sets mostly cause of minifigures such as ucs batwing where figures would have cost me 150$ plus shipping or i can just buy the entire thing for 200$. Now instead of accepting my opinion and stating yours you have to argue me and say how bad phantom menace is bad and how the main point of ucs set aren't minifigures etc. Recently i said how i hate stormtrooper helmets and other joined in on discussing said their opinion and we moved on, i didn't harass people over it or try to change their minds or ridiculed them for it. Feel free to argue me on my assumptions and speculations cause sometimes i say stupid stuff like assuming gunship got 90% of the vote cause i am surrounded daily by 50-200 prequel fans and i had no idea so many people wanted nebulon, but if you have to argue everything i say, like and do you can just block me here and save others from constant arguing. 

Dude, I literally make conscious attempts not to respond to you because every time I do you go off on me. And seriously, stop with the personal attacks against specifically me please? I'm not "unable to accept someone thinks differently than me", and I seriously don't know how you're getting that. I don't recall saying the phantom menace is bad (though that is my opinion). on the other hand, the main point of UCS sets aren't minifigures. That is objective, that's a fact, not an opinion. Also, I don't know if you noticed, but I talked about the stormtrooper helmets as well.

TLDR: people can have opposing opinions, objective facts exist, and personal attacks are annoying, so please stop.

2 hours ago, icm said:

Those excuses for the cockpit gaps and lack of landing gear in the Mandalorian Starfighter are pretty weak, considering that the 2012 version had neither flaw.

Looking at the model, the cockpit gaps seem to be moreso to avoid a wider cockpit than to fit more figures.

10 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

While I agree with virtually everything you said I think it is true that certain people and viewpoints are given special treatment by mods. Whenever a certain youtuber is attacked or slandered in this thread mods don't really do anything to stop it until it gets really bad (ie pages of slander/argument). 

ANYWAYS, I love the Gunship and think its an absolute beauty of a set. Now I'm hoping they can do a ARC-170 that I can put by its side soon. 

That's kind of the point of the mods, though. They allow argument, and they allow people to "attack" public figures who willingly make themselves part of the discussion by creating videos with titles like "lego designers think fans are dumb", and step in when it gets really bad. If someone said the types of things people say about mandr about, say, jang, they definately could get harsher treatment, but that's because jang isn't as...inflammatory, for lack of a better term.

Agreed about the ARC-170, that'd be a beautiful model, though it might be tough to get the long wings built. Maybe they'd be technic? That could look nice.

I'd be interested to see if some clones built at miniland scale would work with the UCS Gunship. The ones at LEGOLAND are a bit ugly but I imagine they could be updated with newer parts.

6 hours ago, DeductedMiller said:

I’m building the Gunship right now, and my concerns sadly haven’t been changed. My biggest issue is how bad the doors look. The angle on the back of the ship, isn’t the same as the angle of the doors. And there is a weird angle on top of the doors, instead of the doors going flush with the hull of the ship. Looking at it, it could be an easy fix. Also the bottom of the ship is extremely wide in the back. And that again makes the doors stand out even more. And when you open the doors, they open like the OG 2003 gunship, completely straight. Whereas the 2008 and 2013 gunship open the doors at a slight angle. Which is correct. The ice doesn’t.

and the guns on top. Geez. Horrible looking. Why didn’t they use cones pieces instead? All in all a great build, and it’s massive. But those flaws….

Yeah, the doors are unforgivable.  I could care less that the Minifigures didn't reflect the wishlist(s).  I mean they asked for suggestions instead of offering concrete options to vote on and be obligated to fulfill.  The cannons I could possibly turn a blind eye to but not to the doors, its flaws are hard to overlook.  The problem is furthermore exaggerated by the sudden widening in the middle of the ship.  When the Gunship was announced the winner, I looked forward to a day-one purchase and my first UCS set.  However, after the reveal and the set images, the doors jutting out when closed is glaringly obvious and a big turn-off.  It certainly could be modified but that's beyond the reason why I would purchase a set in the first place because I am pleased with its original design.   

6 hours ago, JACKATTACKS said:

Great video. Never had any intention of buying the gunship, but I was curious about the doors and wow, even less accurate than I thought they were. Didn't realise they don't align with the angle on the back of the ship, so thank you for pointing that out. 

Just playing around with it, I’m already much closer to a solution. But WHY, didn’t they make it right in the first place 🥲

AF63BE37-75C3-498C-A36C-F564EACC2A5D.jpeg

4 minutes ago, DeductedMiller said:

Just playing around with it, I’m already much closer to a solution. But WHY, didn’t they make it right in the first place 🥲

AF63BE37-75C3-498C-A36C-F564EACC2A5D.jpeg

Ooh, if the bottom comes more flush with the troop bay, this looks excellent. Nice work!

15 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Ooh, if the bottom comes more flush with the troop bay, this looks excellent. Nice work!

Yeah! Right now I just did it with the existing pieces. Might have to add more! But thanks!

I just realised that you can preorder the forge... just not in Australia again :enough:

I’d rattle off my usual complaints but all I can do this time is laugh, because I know everyone else is still waiting for their Bad Batch shuttle preorder to ship and I got mine from a physical store about a week ago now :yoda:

1 hour ago, Regimus said:

I'd be interested to see if some clones built at miniland scale would work with the UCS Gunship. The ones at LEGOLAND are a bit ugly but I imagine they could be updated with newer parts.

Someone brought up trying to make human proportions with the official clone helmets, which might work. I want to say @Cylo had an aqua droid design that's at a similar size to what I'd imagine gunship-scaled clones would work at.

3 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I’d rattle off my usual complaints but all I can do this time is laugh, because I know everyone else is still waiting for their Bad Batch shuttle preorder to ship and I got mine from a physical store about a week ago now :yoda:

You underestimate my laziness! The shuttle might not arrive for weeks, but I won't had to have gone to a store to purchase it. :laugh:

Jokes aside it's definately a loss for pre-orderers. Weird that shipping is disrupted so much, I've ordered during covid before, and they always arrived within a couple days.

17 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You underestimate my laziness! The shuttle might not arrive for weeks, but I won't had to have gone to a store to purchase it. :laugh:

Sorry I can’t hear you, the sound of the shuttle’s engines... it’s too loud. Oh no, what’s this?? Moff Gideon has travelled backwards through time and is unloading on the Bad Batch with his cruiser’s massive deck cannons!!! Tech is screaming for someone to man the rear turret, one of the wings is on fire... megablocks really hitting the fan at the moment, I gotta go. I think we need air support over here, Echo is calling in Boba Fett and Bo-Katan as I write this.

26 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Jokes aside it's definately a loss for pre-orderers. Weird that shipping is disrupted so much, I've ordered during covid before, and they always arrived within a couple days.

That’s LEGO for you. I never get orders on time when ordering direct, even before covid. When I got the UCS ISD I even paid an extra $100 for expedited delivery and it still took a week to arrive. Estimated delivery on my gunship was yesterday but the Toll tracking hasn’t updated since the shipment was created on Sunday :wall:Patience is a virtue that I do not have. 

10 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Sorry I can’t hear you, the sound of the shuttle’s engines... it’s too loud. Oh no, what’s this?? Moff Gideon has travelled backwards through time and is unloading on the Bad Batch with his cruiser’s massive deck cannons!!! Tech is screaming for someone to man the rear turret, one of the wings is on fire... megablocks really hitting the fan at the moment, I gotta go. I think we need air support over here, Echo is calling in Boba Fett and Bo-Katan as I write this.

Jokes on you, it just arrived now...a half hour before I have to go to work. :laugh: Not to worry, it'll be protected by *fantically looks around room*...Pahrak...a downsized AT-RT and...a boba fett brickheadz.

I've just noticed Gonky is the wrong color. This is blasphemy, someone go burn down the lego house.

I thought it was just me with the duff pre-order. 

Normally I cant fault TLG customer service but when it comes to pre-orders they are pretty rubbish.  These products are packed and ready to go well before the launch date.  this is obvious when you see redditors by the boatload buying theirs in wallmart or mom and pop toyland up to a week before the official street date. 

TLG has the tracking on every single order they have ever sent.  They know that on average, postage to the UK or somewhere else takes 4-5 days (or whatever it is)  would it be the hardest thing in the world to ship these things out before the launch to allow them to arrive around the release date?  Would it kill them if some lucky person managed to receive theirs a day early due to DPD having a good day?

I have been to the lego shop since my pre order and could have actually walked out with one there but am locked in with my pre-order being in the warehouse since launch

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Agreed about the ARC-170, that'd be a beautiful model, though it might be tough to get the long wings built. Maybe they'd be technic? That could look nice.

I feel like an underbelly of technic and then a plates on top could suffice but I've never been much of a structural builder so I don't really know how they'd do it. My question would be how they would incorporate the shifting wings it at all. They used rubber bands last time but I don't think that would work with a model of UCS proportions, of course that would only matter if they added that functionality which I don't think they have to since it is UCS. We'll probably only get to see a prequel set like the ARC-170 until after the Gunship sales are over or at least near retirement cause I'd bet we see a couple more OT UCS ships like Vader's fighter, the bomber, and Nebbie cause they def have those designed already. 

33 minutes ago, LDigital said:

I thought it was just me with the duff pre-order. 

Normally I cant fault TLG customer service but when it comes to pre-orders they are pretty rubbish.  These products are packed and ready to go well before the launch date.  this is obvious when you see redditors by the boatload buying theirs in wallmart or mom and pop toyland up to a week before the official street date. 

TLG has the tracking on every single order they have ever sent.  They know that on average, postage to the UK or somewhere else takes 4-5 days (or whatever it is)  would it be the hardest thing in the world to ship these things out before the launch to allow them to arrive around the release date?  Would it kill them if some lucky person managed to receive theirs a day early due to DPD having a good day?

I have been to the lego shop since my pre order and could have actually walked out with one there but am locked in with my pre-order being in the warehouse since launch

I could have gotten everything off Amazon and had it yesterday, still can, but my stupid order’s in the stupid warehouse because stupid Lego corporate can’t be stupidly faster. 

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I feel like an underbelly of technic and then a plates on top could suffice but I've never been much of a structural builder so I don't really know how they'd do it. My question would be how they would incorporate the shifting wings it at all. They used rubber bands last time but I don't think that would work with a model of UCS proportions, of course that would only matter if they added that functionality which I don't think they have to since it is UCS. We'll probably only get to see a prequel set like the ARC-170 until after the Gunship sales are over or at least near retirement cause I'd bet we see a couple more OT UCS ships like Vader's fighter, the bomber, and Nebbie cause they def have those designed already. 

People would want to display it with the wings out, so while they wouldn't necessarily have the wings splay out at the twist of a gear, they'd need the wings to shift somehow to change modes. My guess would be a gear-focused interior, or maybe even contraction friction joints. But like you say, it'll be a good few years, and depends on gunship sales.

To try to be even remotely on-topic.... I can't see the bomber getting made. I forget if the official votes were given, but based on the confirmed gunship vote, how neck-and-neck it seemed on this forum and social media between the gunship and nebbie, and that at least from my personal experience I only saw two people say they voted for the bomber, and I'll make the educated guess that it didn't get many votes. If a set doesn't win but has significant interest, they'd probably do something down the line. Again with my guess towards the bomber's votes, "we won't be seeing him again", at least anytime soon.

17 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

It's totally okay to speculate about figures for an upcoming set, even if they're not the primary focus. The idea that because we're saying figures aren't the primary focus of the set but then speculating about which figures could be included is hypocritical is frankly not true and a poor argument at best. Yes, we're speculating about figures. They're basically the only thing to even speculate about at this point.

Speculating about figures for an upcoming set is walking a fine line. Most of the time it turns into wishlisting. If you can keep it from being a wishlist then it's ok.

The 501st battlepack was just in stock again in Australia, but dissapeared. Why the hell is the limit 15?

59 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

The 501st battlepack was just in stock again in Australia, but dissapeared. Why the hell is the limit 15?

GRRRRRRRR Why couldn’t it have been in stock when I ordered the gunship? I have email notifications set up for that set and I got nothing :pir-angry: sigh...

Anyway, looks like there’s going to be a LEGO Star Wars Halloween Special on Disney+, coming October 1 and titled “Terrifying Tales”

2 hours ago, BigA_7 said:

As opposed to what, 2? Interesting that LEGO has stuck to their word and that it's finally back here, anyway.

Just this morning ordered the Mando Fighter and Bad Batch Shuttle thanks to a 20% sale, though given this particular retailer's track record, I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a cancellation email.

This wave has finally gotten me interested in actually buying larger Star Wars sets again after quite some time away. I think my last one over $40 would've been the previous System Shuttle Tyderium. Exciting times.

4 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Just this morning ordered the Mando Fighter and Bad Batch Shuttle thanks to a 20% sale, though given this particular retailer's track record, I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a cancellation email.

What was the store?

19 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

What was the store?

David Jones. They and Myer both have no shame in simply up an cancelling perfectly legitimate orders. It's something I never experienced in the US.