MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Um, hasn't the AT-AT already been confirmed by every reliable leaker under the sun? Not sure what the big news is supposed to be here :tongue:

13 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

They are also terrible movies in terms of filmmaking.

No, this is untrue. The PT pioneered even more filmmaking techniques than the OT did. The CGI was groundbreaking and laid the foundation for future blockbusters. Movies like Avatar wouldn’t have been made if it weren’t for the motion capture technology they developed for Jar Jar Binks on The Phantom Menace.

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Um, hasn't the AT-AT already been confirmed by every reliable leaker under the sun? Not sure what the big news is supposed to be here :tongue:

Pretty much. I just think it has been awhile since we'd heard anything on it and some people (myself included) were wondering if it was still going to happen. I'm guessing a Black Friday release with the rumored mini ISD as the GWP. I wonder if it'll sell out as quickly as the Falcon did and will be unattainable for a number of months?

I was thinking about the Clone Commander having the animated torso, and the more I think about it, the better of a choice I think it is. I would rather all clones have one torso design so that they match and no clone looks out of place. I know there are differences between phase 1 and 2 armor, but just looking at them, I don't know if the differences are enough to justify two different torsos. 

15 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

I would rather all clones have one torso design so that they match and no clone looks out of place.

This makes no sense given that they are an entirely different phase. Phase I and Phase II already are not going to match because they have different helmets. A Phase I clone amongst Phase II clones looks as out of place as an Empire Stormtrooper amongst First Order Stormtroopers. Why should their armour be aligned for no reason when it looks different in universe?

There's an argument to be made for removing any distinction between animated and film-based styles within one era so that figures that belong together match, but saying Phase I and Phase II Clones should have matching torso styles when in fact they don't and don't interact with each other makes no sense to me at all.

10 hours ago, azhbricks said:

This was me lol - I had been on asking about replacement parts for my Imperial Shuttle that had cracked. I just happened to ask out of curiosity to what they would say. I find it very suspicious as I wouldn't expect LEGO customer service representatives to have any knowledge on sets that haven't been publicly announced or not on LEGO.com - don’t take this as confirmed - that’s not my intention, in fact there is nobody who disregards rumours and leaks more than I do. I miss the excitement of seeing sets for the first time through public release or in store visits. Could be a human error, I just thought it was weird they didn’t refute the set number invalid.

Read it, and make whatever you want from it. One line that did make me raise an eyebrow, was then I asked if they had a release date for it, they replied:

Of course this could have been a painfully long and poorly worded way of saying we don't know anything about that set number, I just found it strange they didn't initially say to me first question they were unaware of any set with that number or name.

Welcome to eurobricks, you've certainly made a grand entrance! If I'm understanding this right, you basically got lego customer service to admit to the existance of the UCS AT-AT. Kudos to you, sir, very impressive!

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

RoTS is fantastic when compared to the other 2. It's all opinions, but RoTS is the least bad movie out of those 3. It's still bad imo.

Yeah, it's fantastic compared to the other two, but still has some hilariously awful dialogue and confusing plot points.

This does translate to sets somewhat, ROTS always seemed to get more than the other prequels, at least in the past couple years (anakin's interceptor, grievous's starfighter, AT-AP, gunship, mustafar duel, etc just off the top of my head). I still wouldn't expect many sets for the prequels themselves soon, as clone wars and bad batch take place in the same era and are currently much more popular, so most of the prequel era builds are from those. I.E., the AT-RT and some BARCs, along with other vehicles, were packaged with clone wars/bad batch builds and figures.

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

This is coming from lego customer service, so on the reliability scale it's 100%. Personally I believe the more reliable leakers, but some people only believe it once there's some sort of confirmation or leak from lego.

3 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

This makes no sense given that they are an entirely different phase. Phase I and Phase II already are not going to match because they have different helmets. A Phase I clone amongst Phase II clones looks as out of place as an Empire Stormtrooper amongst First Order Stormtroopers. Why should their armour be aligned for no reason when it looks different in universe?

There's an argument to be made for removing any distinction between animated and film-based styles within one era so that figures that belong together match, but saying Phase I and Phase II Clones should have matching torso styles when in fact they don't and don't interact with each other makes no sense to me at all.

Just off google images, the p1 and p2 armor for the basic clone shinies are identical, and the helmets are the only difference. I might be understanding this wrong, but as-is I really don't get this comment.

17 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Like I said, I looked at images of both armors. I really couldn't tell much of a difference, certainly not enough of one to justify two different torsos. Maybe I'm missing something obvious because I'm tired, but I really do not see much difference.

24 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Just off google images, the p1 and p2 armor for the basic clone shinies are identical, and the helmets are the only difference. I might be understanding this wrong, but as-is I really don't get this comment.

@Gremer2 Sorry I might have been thinking about Phase I vs Phase II in Clone Wars rather than the films. In the show they made their armour quite a bit more angular for Phase II than Phase I. In the films you're right, the chest armour is nearly the same. The image on this page illustrates the show differences clearly: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-inside-intel-clone-armor

I guess my problem with this Phase I Commander here is really a problem with them going with the Clone Wars style in general, accentuating the area between the belt and chest so heavily. It just doesn't match the film look at all.

It looked ok on the Phase II 501st because those were kind of based on the Clone Wars show, but people voiced dislike of that too. Given that Phase I and Phase II don't go together, I would have rathered they go back to the film proportions for Phase I at least.

Why did they have to changed the clone torso print... If the intention is to use one torso style for both, it needs to be based on the movies, where phase 1 and phase 2 armor look identical. That was the case with the 2013-2019 torso style.

In the animated shows, phase 1 and phase 2 armor do look noticably different. The lower edge of the breastplate shows that Lego's 2020-2021 torso style is based on animated phase 2 armor. Since it neither looks like realistic phase 1/2 armor nor like animated phase 1 armor, it just doesn't look right for a phase 1 minifigure.

7 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

On another note, After the relative success of the BB do we think TLG will have to change the P2 helmet to give Crosshair and other special clones rangefinders. At least IMO his rangefinder is used extensively in every episode he is in and is his go to "perk". I would think they'd watch the show and take that into account and make a change. I was disappointed it wasn't there to begin with but I guess TLG wouldn't have know how important it was since they were going of concept arts. I just think for future clones in the series and SW it would be cool to get a helmet like the original p1. 

It would be nice, but I can't see it happening. When the P1 helmet came out with the holes for accessories they were changing the mould from the previous see-through visor version, so it was one of a few upgrades; other than the accessory holes, the P2 helmets are pretty perfect at the moment. Once the moulds reach the end of their serviceable life, then perhaps it'll happen, but it's such a minor change that I doubt they'd waste time and money on it at this stage.

51 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Since it neither looks like realistic phase 1/2 armor nor like animated phase 1 armor, it just doesn't look right for a phase 1 minifigure.

Exactly my feeling as well. This print kind of works for Phase II because at least it looks like animated Phase II, but it doesn't work for Phase I at all.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, it's fantastic compared to the other two, but still has some hilariously awful dialogue and confusing plot points.

Exactly, that's what I've been saying.

I wonder if the boxart mishap on the gunship was a carryover from development of the AT-AT boxart. I think this is reaching, but fun to consider...

Speaking of boxart, I like the all black for sets like the helment, but for vehicles, I really miss the dynamic boxart like seen on 75192 and 75181. Just my personal preference but I think that looks a lot better. 

If the UCS rumors are true, this year hit all my must-have boxes for UCS sets. Always wanted a gunship and AT-AT and now, allegedly, LEGO is coming out with both in 1 year!

10 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It would be nice, but I can't see it happening. When the P1 helmet came out with the holes for accessories they were changing the mould from the previous see-through visor version, so it was one of a few upgrades; other than the accessory holes, the P2 helmets are pretty perfect at the moment. Once the moulds reach the end of their serviceable life, then perhaps it'll happen, but it's such a minor change that I doubt they'd waste time and money on it at this stage.

There might be an element of sunken cost fallacy, too. They could have done it all the way back in 2013 to give rex his rangefinder, but they didn't, and now characters like crosshair are without rangefinders as well. This is maybe one of the main areas I'm annoyed at lego with, since rangefinders on rex and crosshair are major parts of their helmets, and they won't give it a new mold.

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

I wonder if the boxart mishap on the gunship was a carryover from development of the AT-AT boxart. I think this is reaching, but fun to consider...

Speaking of boxart, I like the all black for sets like the helment, but for vehicles, I really miss the dynamic boxart like seen on 75192 and 75181. Just my personal preference but I think that looks a lot better. 

Definately reaching, they'd be different box sizes, and while the fan vote makes it a bit more complicated, I still think the gunship boxart would have been made first.

It depends for me with that second part. The older boxart is more dynamic, but the new boxart gives off a more collectible, sort of black series vibe. I'm not sure which I prefer.

Question: Was this year’s January lineup typical or is it usually bigger? Just wondering for budgeting purposes 

1 minute ago, hondohnaka said:

Question: Was this year’s January lineup typical or is it usually bigger? Just wondering for budgeting purposes 

It's usually bigger, but recently they've been skimping on the winter waves (usually to prep for the winter films)

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:
I know it's off-topic, but it would be so dope if we got a The Mandalorian set like this. It would sell like hot cakes.

This really belongs in the wish-list thread. Not here.

Out of curiosity, what sets do you think could sell out on the first day of sale? What would be the most popular? 

1 hour ago, Prometheus87 said:

Out of curiosity, what sets do you think could sell out on the first day of sale? What would be the most popular? 

Gunship goes first thanks to scalpers, then it’s tied for Mando fighter and Cruiser. Slave 1 has limited appeal being a VERY recent remake but the Marauder is a contender with its army building potential. The Shuttle and Vader’s Chamber will not go out of stock for a solid week between preorders and just being bad sets. Duel on Mandalore will probably drop off by the second or third day bc that Maul fig is prime scalper real estate but it’s the smallest set so there’s probably more copies in the warehouse. 

6 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

This year's January was TINY compared to other years, and still lower than average even after adding in the march sets. 

2 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

Here are the chances I give:

Shuttle: 70%. I don't know how lego deals with  pre-orders, which is the only reason I'm not putting this at 100%, since they could increase stock based on the amount of pre-orders. But the main ship of a super popular show, with the entire main cast? It'd be almost like the razor crest if it sold with Cara, Kuill, and Gideon added, so I anticipate it'll sell out fast.

Gunship: 50%. This is a wild swing. Either it doesn't sell out at all or it sells out almost instantly. This will depend on how many of the average UCS fans buy it, and how many of the voters put their money where their clicks are (since we already know a good percent are using the figs as an excuse not too).

I don't see any other sets selling out anytime soon. They're good sets, but they don't have too much. The Marauder is more expensive and not as good for army-building as the 501st set, the duel's only draw is a new maul, and the sets with the most desirable figures (fennec, dark trooper, bo-katan), are expensive enough that a chunk of people will bricklink it instead.

Personally I'm going after the duel, and have a pre-order secured for the shuttle.

This is also highly dependent on region. Here in Australia I reckon the Mando starfighter and Duel sets have a good shot at going to backorder within the first day if not half a day. But then the retailer shops will have them within a couple of weeks hopefully and there will be a chance to get them for a little while.

7 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

I'd guess the Gunship for the imperial logo mistake but from the play-scale sets I think the Mando Fighter and Shuttle will sell out by the end of release day because the figs are really cool and the BB finale should be on the 13th of August leading to more focus on the toys (IMO). Also I think the Duel set figs and price could help it sell out but not on release day. 

3 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I'd guess the Gunship for the imperial logo mistake but from the play-scale sets I think the Mando Fighter and Shuttle will sell out by the end of release day because the figs are really cool and the BB finale should be on the 13th of August leading to more focus on the toys (IMO). Also I think the Duel set figs and price could help it sell out but not on release day. 

Good point, scalpers will love the first lots of boxes to resell at insanely large prices later on.