MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

With a new pilot helmet, they can always just reuse the mold for other ships and sets that require a P1 Clone Pilot. Its not like a new mold or character would always have to be exclusive to the set. 

40 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I do agree that Mandr's video encapsulated how many fans feel about this set in particular and why they're frustrated with the team but UCS sets are for the builds not the figures so they can't be the focal point of this set. Where I agree with him is the interview with the designers and the continued lack of care from TLG here and there. Everything from the inaccurate logo on the box, calling it the LSW The Clone Wars Republic Gunship, saying a yellow clone = a pilot all to me say these guys don't really give a crap about SW side of the product. They're deifinitely great designers and make great sets but when it comes to knowing the difference between a clone pilot and commander in SW they're clueless which hurts the set

I think that the SW designers recognise the difference between a pilot and commander, as they’re statement is about the way consumers perceive the characters as the same, not that they are actually the same as Mandr put it (his truthful tweet about LEGO thinking they put a pilot and Cody in the gunship made me laugh though!). I think the designers would understand Star Wars, but the issue does exist and I would assume it is more linked to marketing departments and Lucasfilm. The main consumers will be either non-LEGO or non-SW fans who want the set for being a fan of one franchise, so the issues with figures will be less apparent.

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Edit: Since so many people keep bring up the "locked behind a expensive set" point what is the acceptable price point for a desirable figure? I would think putting a character like Cody in the UCS Gunship would be adding value to the expensive set to incentivize a purchase cause at the end of the day that't what purchasing Lego is about. If you like what you see and you can afford or think the item is worth the price you buy it. If a person is willing to pay why can't they have something special like a cool exclusive minifg. That's one of the reason I got the Cantina cause it had some really cool exclusive minifgs and the new imperial spy. 

(Also this isn't me endorsing Cody or anyone special in UCS sets just asking the question of what price is acceptable)

My two cents are that a highly desirable/exclusive fig shouldn't cost more than like $120-ish.  I think the Cantina kind of broke that being $350, but on the flip side, I'd say Ponda Baba was the main one that was really desired, and I felt like the hype on him had cooled a bit.  I remember maybe ten or fifteen years ago, people REALLY wanted a Ponda Baba figure, but that seems to have subsided in recent years in favor of Rex/Cody, Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, et cetera.  The other new figures in the set (Garindan, Dr. Evazan, Hrcheck, Momaw Nadon, Kabe, and Labria) were varying stages of desired to "I didn't really know they'd ever make a figure of this character" to me.  Plus, I also think it's likely that the next system scale Cantina, whenever that may be, will throw in a Ponda Baba, since they did make a new, very specific mold for it.

For some of the releases of fan-requested characters recently, I think they've found a good price point.  Paz Viszla, the Armorer, and Ahsoka are all pretty cheap ($30-40), Bo-Katan and Gar Saxon are on the higher end but still relatively affordable at $60-70, and the most expensive are the Bad Batch, but we at least get all of them in one set (minus Omega, but I'll give them a pass on that since new characters in SW sometimes get mixed reception and I'm almost positive she'll turn up eventually), as opposed to having to buy five sets to get all five.  

For a guy like Cody, I think the Grievous Starfighter still made way too much sense to include him in.  I had little to no interest in the set as it is now (it looks nice but $80 is just too much for it for me), but I probably would've considered it at least if it had Cody, and I'm not even a huge Cody fan.  

5 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

The main consumers will be either non-LEGO or non-SW fans who want the set for being a fan of one franchise, so the issues with figures will be less apparent.

What are you talking about? A non LEGO fan will randomly appear in the LEGO isle or in the LEGO store and see this set and buy it for 400$ out of the blue? And there will be so many cases of this happening that they will become main consumers and buy more than LEGO fans?? Or a non SW fan? You are telling me a random person will pass next to mos eisley with 21 figures,vehicles and a dinosaur looking creature, 1989 batmobile and batwing, ninjago gardens,benatar and pick a random ship from a movie he is not a fan of that's missing the middle section and  just buy it for 400$ and drive it home? And there will be tens of thousand of such cases? This sounds absurd to me

3 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Not quite sure what you are saying here. At no point have I said the figures are the point. The point is the figures are ‘the set’ because they are the bricks. Anyway… 

Yeah maybe. It has been though with any other ‘Pilot’ of UCS set. It’s like throwing Mon Morgan to Pilot the UCS Millennium Falcon. 

This is fair but Atleast it was a Clone Pilot. I’d like to think a new helmet mould for £330 could be possible. 

I think when you say MINIFIGS ARE THE SET, people assume you're saying minifigs have a lot of importance in relevance to the set, because no one is contesting that minfigures are included in sets.

No, it's not. They're figures heavily associated with the ship, and they aren't "To pilot it", because with the exception of the falcon, UCS sets are not meant to be piloted by figures.

I'd much prefer a figure with a new mold to not be in a $350 UCS set. I can get MBS sets because they're more figure-oriented, but figures are not a major facet of UCS sets, so I don't think the costs of a new mold should be used for one of those.

2 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Likely not considering the prequels are barely touched upon. 

The summer 2020 and 2021 waves were plurality prequel era, how does that at all count as "barely touched upon"? 

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Christ, this is getting ridiculous.

On the one hand, yes, the figure selection could have been better. On the other hand, the figure selection is acceptable. 

To those saying Lego did not listen to the fans on the figures, anyone who voted for Phase II Cody and/or Jedi Bob absolutely deserved to have their hopes dashed. Complaining that they aren't in the set is childish whining, and I'm probably one of the biggest Cody fans there is.

Add to the fact, I personally voted for three figures: Yoda, Clone Pilot, and Clone Trooper. Because in my opinion, those three figures made the most sense scene-wise, and would fit with the purpose of a UCS set Intended For Display, aka, they'd look pretty dope on the plaque. Yet, somehow, despite my voice "not being heard", I'm okay with the figures chosen because they still fit with the set.

I will grant some of you that a Clone Pilot was essential, and not including one was an incredible oversight, and the rationale behind the designers not making one is actually pretty disrespectful ("No one can tell the difference"? Oh come off it). On the other hand, how many fans would be strangling themselves because of an exclusive helmet mold at $350?

Love the set or hate the set, agree with the minifigs or don't agree with them, but this argument is tiring.

Also, I think I didn't properly articulate my views on the "threat" of "Buy it or else". I do completely understand that Lego is a business, and businesses want/need to make money. If a product doesn't perform, they'll be less likely to revisit the idea. That I'm 100% on board with. But the designers came off as incredibly condescending and unprofessional, and don't seem to have much passion, which is surprising considering just how good the model is (bar a few issues).

I say that to say this now: 30,000 people claimed to want a UCS LAAT/i Republic Gunship. 30k people, who of their own free agency, consciously or subconsciously, knew what that entailed. If they wanted a new system-scale set, they could've asked for one (it would've been yet another annoying campaign but I digress). But no, they either misunderstood or intentionally misinterpreted what it was they were voting for. Now that it's here, a grand sum of these same 30,000 people don't like the set, and will refuse to purchase due to W, X, Y, & Z. Not because of "can't afford" or "don't have the room", but because of 7 pieces of plastic in a 3000+ piece set. Now if this fails, and Lego proceeds to ignore the PT for UCS sets for the next decade, please don't complain. This is exactly what we deserve.

The fan vote was essentially a focus group. What will sell? What do the fans want to see? So they asked us, we responded and they delivered. If the final product flops, who's to even say they'll ever trust a fan vote again anytime soon (as in, the next 5-6 years)? I have severe issues with Lego and Disney when it comes to how they handle Star Wars, and usually I will be one of the first to criticize them (I think most of you know this), but this is one of those rare occasions when a set is just shy of perfection. To see the actual beauty of the model brought down due to the minifigures? Come on guys.

The biggest disappoint of all will be a lack of sales and thus a lack of similar product moving forward.

I apologize if I come off as angry, but this is just getting really frustrating.

I think the exclusivity argument holds up if it's a figure that's not likely to appear anywhere else, but not if it's one that would likely then go on to become common. Ponda Baba and Garindan's heads, for example, aren't likely to show up in any other set any time soon, so it makes sense to be annoyed about their exclusivity (I mean, there's nothing stopping them from being in the next regular Cantina set, whenever that is, but they never were before and there's no particular reason for them to be in the future). But clone pilots have historically been common figures that show up regularly with several vehicles, a microfighter, an advent calendar, etc, and if they were to make an accurate helmet mold for the UCS Gunship it's very likely that it would continue to be used in normal sets going forwards, and everybody would get access to it sooner or later. People would complain about it in the interim, but they're currently complaining even harder about not getting it, so what can you do.

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

This is fair but Atleast it was a Clone Pilot. I’d like to think a new helmet mould for £330 could be possible. 

I don't think you understood me. None of the past three $100+ Gunships had a pilot period.

2002 had 4 Clone Privates, 2008 had Clone Trooper and (Phase I) Commander Cody

I'm correcting myself mid-reply, but I wanted to leave in my original thought process. You are correct, 2013's Gunship did have a pilot. I was wrong on that.

50 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think when you say MINIFIGS ARE THE SET, people assume you're saying minifigs have a lot of importance in relevance to the set, because no one is contesting that minfigures are included in sets.

No, it's not. They're figures heavily associated with the ship, and they aren't "To pilot it", because with the exception of the falcon, UCS sets are not meant to be piloted by figures.

I'd much prefer a figure with a new mold to not be in a $350 UCS set. I can get MBS sets because they're more figure-oriented, but figures are not a major facet of UCS sets, so I don't think the costs of a new mold should be used for one of those.

The summer 2020 and 2021 waves were plurality prequel era, how does that at all count as "barely touched upon"? 

Well yes of course, but ‘assume’ does not work when I explained it. Instead people jumped down my throat and belittled me. The point is the figures exist, I regard them as ‘the set’ and hence it warrants criticism from that perspective. Won’t lie I’d love to see how the OT UCS fans react when we get a Tie Bomber next year and a Death Star Gunner and a Stormtrooper are included. Or how about the AT-AT with a Tie Pilot!! How exciting. Anywhere that’s enough, appreciate the discussion with you all regardless of my complaints with the conduct. 

1 minute ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I don't think you understood me. None of the past three $100+ Gunships had a pilot period.

2002 had 4 Clone Privates, 2008 had Clone Trooper and (Phase I) Commander Cody

I'm correcting myself mid-reply, but I wanted to leave in my original thought process. You are correct, 2013's Gunship did have a pilot. I was wrong on that.

No worries. Irrespective doesn’t mean I still could not complain.   

7 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I think the exclusivity argument holds up if it's a figure that's not likely to appear anywhere else, but not if it's one that would likely then go on to become common. Ponda Baba and Garindan's heads, for example, aren't likely to show up in any other set any time soon, so it makes sense to be annoyed about their exclusivity (I mean, there's nothing stopping them from being in the next regular Cantina set, whenever that is, but they never were before and there's no particular reason for them to be in the future). But clone pilots have historically been common figures that show up regularly with several vehicles, a microfighter, an advent calendar, etc, and if they were to make an accurate helmet mold for the UCS Gunship it's very likely that it would continue to be used in normal sets going forwards, and everybody would get access to it sooner or later. People would complain about it in the interim, but they're currently complaining even harder about not getting it, so what can you do.

I would like to point out that clone pilots (especially Episode II pilots) have very limited options for use outside of Gunships, Dropships, and maybe AT-TEs. Which, at this point I think most Phase I era vehicles would be released with Phase II clones. I would love to be proven wrong though.

3 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

No worries. Irrespective doesn’t mean I still could not complain.   

"It's more prejudicial than probative!"

"It speaks to the pattern of behavior, Your Honor." :wink: :laugh:

I'm going to defend the designer when they said to buy the set if we want to get more prequel stuff. Do the designers decide what gets made? I'm sure they have input but it's unlikely that they make the final decision. So maybe he wanted to make more prequel UCS stuff available but can't unless the higher ups can finally see the demand. So I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

As for the "all people remember is yellow" thing, not so much.

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

What are you talking about? A non LEGO fan will randomly appear in the LEGO isle or in the LEGO store and see this set and buy it for 400$ out of the blue? And there will be so many cases of this happening that they will become main consumers and buy more than LEGO fans?? Or a non SW fan? You are telling me a random person will pass next to mos eisley with 21 figures,vehicles and a dinosaur looking creature, 1989 batmobile and batwing, ninjago gardens,benatar and pick a random ship from a movie he is not a fan of that's missing the middle section and  just buy it for 400$ and drive it home? And there will be tens of thousand of such cases? This sounds absurd to me

many consumers will be Star Wars fans who are LEGO fans through Star Wars, or LEGO collectors who aren’t fussed about the actual set, as well as what is probably a majority of LEGO Star Wars fans who want a display piece or a set of their favourite vehicle, not more impassioned fans who care about which two figures will or won’t be included. I did accidentally leave out the word probably and I should have stressed LEGO Star Wars fans (fans who like Star Wars through LEGO) rather than just LEGO fans so I didn’t mean to sound like I was making an absolute fact.

33 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

But the designers came off as incredibly condescending and unprofessional, and don't seem to have much passion, which is surprising considering just how good the model is (bar a few issues).

I say that to say this now: 30,000 people claimed to want a UCS LAAT/i Republic Gunship. 30k people, who of their own free agency, consciously or subconsciously, knew what that entailed. If they wanted a new system-scale set, they could've asked for one (it would've been yet another annoying campaign but I digress). But no, they either misunderstood or intentionally misinterpreted what it was they were voting for. Now that it's here, a grand sum of these same 30,000 people don't like the set, and will refuse to purchase due to W, X, Y, & Z. Not because of "can't afford" or "don't have the room", but because of 7 pieces of plastic in a 3000+ piece set. Now if this fails, and Lego proceeds to ignore the PT for UCS sets for the next decade, please don't complain. This is exactly what we deserve.

The fan vote was essentially a focus group. What will sell? What do the fans want to see? So they asked us, we responded and they delivered. If the final product flops, who's to even say they'll ever trust a fan vote again anytime soon (as in, the next 5-6 years)? I have severe issues with Lego and Disney when it comes to how they handle Star Wars, and usually I will be one of the first to criticize them (I think most of you know this), but this is one of those rare occasions when a set is just shy of perfection. To see the actual beauty of the model brought down due to the minifigures? Come on guys.

The biggest disappoint of all will be a lack of sales and thus a lack of similar product moving forward.

I understand where you're coming from but fans shouldn't have to be held to ransom to get UCS sets from a different era of SW. I will buy a UCS Gunship and many other people will too but one set shouldn't dictate TLG UCS choices as they aren't representative of the whole. 

Also the designers/creators not giving a sh*t about the more intricate but still important details of SW is something I've come to take as a given. They don't realize how popular SW is and taking a chance on more prequel UCS/MBS should not be as a big a deal as those pompous designers make it out to be. 

25 minutes ago, Utinni Utinni said:

I'm going to defend the designer when they said to buy the set if we want to get more prequel stuff. Do the designers decide what gets made? I'm sure they have input but it's unlikely that they make the final decision. So maybe he wanted to make more prequel UCS stuff available but can't unless the higher ups can finally see the demand. So I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

I agree, if we want more PT stuff, we should be behind this set.  As they stated in the video, clearly have an awareness of 'Jedi Bob' and 'Commander Cody'

Hopefully people can move past the minifig. If you are that hung up on an AOTC set for a minifig, perhaps UCS isn't for you and sit it out and hopefully you get a Cody in the next few years. I suspect you will be waiting a long time with all the Disney+ content coming and then that will feed into the new slate of movies...

If you think it's 20+years of SW Lego and we only have just received a decent chunk of the Cantina, a handful of Jabba's Palace as well. I'm sure they may get around to it, otherwise it will be like a number of others... at least he exists...

9 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Also the designers/creators not giving a sh*t about the more intricate but still important details of SW is something I've come to take as a given. They don't realize how popular SW is and taking a chance on more prequel UCS/MBS should not be as a big a deal as those pompous designers make it out to be. 

I agree, there is at least 1 MBS set there, Genosian Arena with the creatures would be cool...

4 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I understand where you're coming from but fans shouldn't have to be held to ransom to get UCS sets from a different era of SW. I will buy a UCS Gunship and many other people will too but one set shouldn't dictate TLG UCS choices as they aren't representative of the whole. 

Oh, I agree, on both points, but that's the way things work. So, I won't be colored surprised when or if the Gunship fails and the subject is dropped in carbonite for a few years. I also think you make a great point about representing a whole. MandR and his hordes don't speak for all of us who voted for the Gunship, all of us Cody stans or Jedi Bob disciples, so this narrative of "They don't listen to the fans", while occasionally true, is not representative of this situation.

I for one think that prequel UCS sets are inevitable, and most of us know that (even said pompous designers). This is exactly why I said their "threat" is shady. Even if it's just a fact of business, they should've had the professionalism to bite their tongue. Instead, it sounds more like a Mafia-type deal than a simple "Hey guys, if you guys buy this set, there'll be a million more well on the way! :classic:" Same message, different tone, different attitude.

39 minutes ago, Utinni Utinni said:

See directly above. Also, read the interview again. Does that sound like a guy who's just excited and chomping at the bit for more PT UCS sets? Or like a dude who's just beyond fed up at this point? Tone and attitude change the same words into very different sentiments. My issue is solely with how it was said, not the quote itself.

10 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

agree, if we want more PT stuff, we should be behind this set.  As they stated in the video, clearly have an awareness of 'Jedi Bob' and 'Commander Cody'

However, it is unfair for TLG to ask fans to spend almost $600 to get more other sets that could cost half as much or even more, I wonder how much PT fans actually want UCS sets as opposed to more usable system sets which can be Mocced with and include figures

11 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

I agree, if we want more PT stuff, we should be behind this set.  As they stated in the video, clearly have an awareness of 'Jedi Bob' and 'Commander Cody'

Hopefully people can move past the minifig. If you are that hung up on an AOTC set for a minifig, perhaps UCS isn't for you and sit it out and hopefully you get a Cody in the next few years. I suspect you will be waiting a long time with all the Disney+ content coming and then that will feed into the new slate of movies...

Exactly. I really hope this set succeeds, but I'm sort of worried just because of all the trivial dismissals it's been getting.

Just now, Stuartn said:

However, it is unfair for TLG to ask fans to spend almost $600 to get more other sets that could cost half as much or even more, I wonder how much PT fans actually want UCS sets as opposed to more usable system sets which can be Mocced with and include figures

I for one want actual UCS sets, because that's what I'm asking for/asked for with this set, which I received. Even as someone who's only been a casual admirer of UCS till now, I am confident when I say I want more Prequel UCS sets.

4 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Exactly. I really hope this set succeeds, but I'm sort of worried just because of all the trivial dismissals it's been getting.

I want this set to succeed too, in many ways I don’t understand the controversy it has caused, in fact has there even been a criticism of the actual build yet beside the turrets and lack of netting? I feel like the fan vote has doomed this set to ridicule and controversy when otherwise it would have just been a normal set with debatable but otherwise unimportant figures.

And another question about the gunship, how well would the Yoda figure scale with the gunship, since he is way too large in minifigure form

Edited by Stuartn

I think the getting the yellow clone commander in this set is a good sign. Please allow me to elaborate.

Right so, we've all heard the 'all people remember is a clone with yellow marking on his helmet flies the ship' comment but if they are going to include a clone to pilot the ship, why don't they go for the right one? Is there a logical reason not to? I mean they've made p1 clone pilots before?

Well I have an idea, perhaps they went for his clone because they now recognize that the phase 1 clone pilot needs a unique helmet, and of course they don't want to introduce a new minifig part in what is not a minifigure focused set. And maybe what people said in the seemingly redundant 'what minifigure would you want to come with this set' bit influnced their thinking here too, Personally I put, clone pilot with a new fin-less helmet as my suggestion.

So they then went with a different but still similar clone and maybe new sets in the pipeline will then include a new phase one clone pilot helmet. Maybe this is a bit of a reach but it's a very least, a logical reason for why they didn't include a pilot.

30 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

See directly above. Also, read the interview again. Does that sound like a guy who's just excited and chomping at the bit for more PT UCS sets? Or like a dude who's just beyond fed up at this point? Tone and attitude change the same words into very different sentiments. My issue is solely with how it was said, not the quote itself.

Tone and attitude can be assumed also. I don't see the tone and attitude you are assuming from reading this quote. I also couldn't find the full interview or if there was audio, so I can't speak to that. If you go to 26:50 in the reveal video on Lego youtube they say:

Bald guy: "The fact that we've done it. Finally we've done a UCS version of the republic Gunship ..."

Beanie guy (Hans): ... the fact that it's a UCS model from the prequels to the ???? Is quite an achievement." Couldn't make out one word.

Those didn't seem like they were said by people loathed to make prequel UCS sets. My take on what's being said, so maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me. 

„Dear Mr Schlömer,

For the unforgivably vile crime against humanity of publicly stating that nobody cares about the differences between two CLONES with yellow markings, you are hereby sentenced to death.

Also, you‘re fired.“

:tongue:

The Star Wars fandumb in a nutshell

4 hours ago, Utinni Utinni said:

Tone and attitude can be assumed also. I don't see the tone and attitude you are assuming from reading this quote.

I agree, I don't hear that tone or attitude either.

As for comments from others that LEGO is out of touch with the fan base, I don't really see it. Sure, like many other OT-fans I was frustrated for many years by the lack of Cloud City characters for example, but they came through in the end. With Cloud City and the Cantina they got the OT pretty well covered by know.

Newer material, like The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, and the final season of The Clone Wars are all getting good sets IMO, so from my perspective things are looking better. 

My general wishes for LEGO SW going forward:

1) We want battlepacks, every year - no exceptions! 

2) Don't skimp on minifigures, especially for medium to large sets simplifying the build to make room for another minifigure is a good tradeoff. For example, just 1 dark trooper in the upcoming Imperial Light Cruiser?

3) Go wild - dare to include that unique minifigure we would never get otherwise even if it makes no sense for the set you put it in.

Some of you might notice that all my wishes relate to minifigures rather than builds... Well, that's how the cookie crumbles after building a bunch of versions of almost all the SW vehicles I care about. The newer material just don't seem to come up with interesting designs that are given enough screen time to make me care. Maybe with the exception of The Razor Crest.

6 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I am a PT fan myself and as such I hope for its success, too.

I also I don' think there is anything trivial about a 350€ set. It needs to be perfect in everything and every way possible as far as brickbuilds and minifigs can be perfect. 'Good enough' does not cut it at 350€. This is also Lego's own standard.

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

„Dear Mr Schlömer,

For the unforgivably vile crime against humanity of publicly stating that nobody cares about the differences between two CLONES with yellow markings, you are hereby sentenced to death.

Also, you‘re fired.“

:tongue:

The Star Wars fandumb in a nutshell

The people are clones. Their gear is notably different.

This set is not aimed at kids or casual fans. I would argue there is a sizeable group among the target audience is capable of making a difference between a commander and a pilot. (And I would not underestimate kids or casuals in that regard either, that seems rather depreciative).

Also, is ridiculing and name calling now a thing here? Must be the toxic fans people keep talking about...

4 minutes ago, Flieger said:

Also, is ridiculing and name calling now a thing here? Must be the toxic fans people keep talking about...

Ridiculous statements deserve to be ridiculed. Feel free to disagree, but I've seen plenty of comments online calling for the designers and other employees to be fired over this (some even in this thread). This is so common in the SW fandom that terms like "the fandom menace" or "fandumb" have good reason to exist :tongue: I'm not saying the set is above criticism, but I draw the line when someone's livelihood is threatened over something like this 

12 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I’m not saying the set is above criticism, but I draw the line when someone's livelihood is threatened over something like this 

Erm…

Is it though?