MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

On 7/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, Graupensuppe said:

I will... But since they decided to make this one of the most expensive UCS sets ever, I don't think it will sell as well as it could have.

Honestly the price is perfect. This would not have worked as a smaller $200 UCS set, you wouldn’t be able to have as much detail. I think it’s the perfect middle ground for a UCS 

48 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Never thought I’d agree with MandR (his friend Sands too) in their recent videos about the Gunship figures. Bang on the money. I’m tired of half-baked sets and out of touch designers within the Star Wars department. Get some young guns in there who know how passionate many of us are about new Lego Star Wars products. Lego in the past have proven how excellent they can be with their sets (FIGURES ARE THE SET). 

I might be missing something, but no, not most sets. Figures are a factor in some, and the main point of smaller sets like battlepacks, but the point of a set isn't the figures. With a UCS set, the figures are never supposed to even be a consideration, especially since the creation of the separate MBS label.

37 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Now that I’ve had a couple days to process this, my feelings on the Gunship are really kinda mixed. Is it great we’re getting UCS Prequel sets? Hell yeah. But I think the Gunship wasn’t the right pick to give the UCS treatment. It’s a gorgeous model no doubt but I still find it ridiculously oversized. Normally with vehicles like the A Wing or Y Wing, they usually carry just one passenger so it’s not bad. Or in the case with the Star Destroyer or Sandcrawler which has the ability to carry a lot of people or droids, the area that holds them is covered up. But with the Gunship that is literally a transport vehicle has all this barren space where the troops are supposed to go in. And the problem is even more magnified since it’s at such a large scale and it comes with only a single trooper. What good is having a transport vehicle without having troops to transport? And I’m not saying Lego should of included more figs, Lego always had a barren minifig selection to begin with for UCS sets. I think the figs that come with it are fine. What I’m saying is the idea of a transport ship just doesn’t fundamentally work at the UCS level imo when having troops inside of it is essential and not having the ability to close that gap since the doors only close half way. 

Will I still buy it? Definitely not a Day 1 purchase because I’m saving up for the UCS AT AT but I’ll probably get it next year because even though the Gunship isn’t an ideal UCS pick, I still want to see more UCS Prequel sets like an ARC 170 or a Clone Turbo Tank so I’ll bite the bullet. 

I disagree. I think it’s the perfect choice, being arguably the most iconic prequel ship design there is. I still think you’re missing the point about the figures too, it doesn’t need troops to transport because it’s UCS and exists purely as a large display model, which brings me to my next point: the size. How is this oversized? It’s UCS…being massive is the point, especially for a ship that is a lot bigger in universe than an X-Wing or Y-Wing. Why would it need to be smaller? For a ship of its size, I think the scale is perfect and captures exactly the right amount of detail, which wouldn’t have happened if it was smaller

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

(FIGURES ARE THE SET).  

Not with UCS sets buddy. 

58 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I disagree. I think it’s the perfect choice, being arguably the most iconic prequel ship design there is. I still think you’re missing the point about the figures too, it doesn’t need troops to transport because it’s UCS and exists purely as a large display model, which brings me to my next point: the size. How is this oversized? It’s UCS…being massive is the point, especially for a ship that is a lot bigger in universe than an X-Wing or Y-Wing. Why would it need to be smaller? For a ship of its size, I think the scale is perfect and captures exactly the right amount of detail, which wouldn’t have happened if it was smaller

I’ll give it being the most iconic Prequel vehicle but just because it’s iconic doesn’t mean it will translate well as a UCS set. Maybe I didn’t say it clear enough but what I mean is that without the troops, the cargo hold looks extremely barren and empty which brings it down quite a bit in my book. Having clone troopers really would help round out the set and give it the depth it lacks if it was minifig scale . But because it’s so big, adding troopers wouldn’t help that problem much since they are out of scale. So you’re left with a husk of a set. Even having the doors close all the way would have fixed that part, but because it’s an AoTC it wouldn’t be canonical accurate. To me the troopers are just as important as any other feature of the Gunship that make it feel truly impressive and why it should of not been a UCS set. It’s a Low Altitude Assault Transport after all, it’s in the name of the ship that it transports troops.The ARC 170 and Clone Turbo Tank doesn’t suffer from this problem because the former only holds a couple of pilots while the later has coverings. 

Edited by RODDY

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Lego in the past have proven how excellent they can be with their sets (FIGURES ARE THE SET). 

So what you're telling us is that this is an empty picture? 

10227-1.jpg?201201160157

:grin: Sorry, I had to

Honestly if I had the space I'd likely get the gunship, but honestly the only thing that bothers me are the twin missile pods at the top of the wings. They seem too thin and not conical enough. But thats literally my only gripe. Its beautiful, but that inaccuracy bugs me.

On the subject of sequel UCS sets I would buy a UCS Kylo’s shuttle without a second thought, and I think a lot of other people would too. Honestly it makes a lot of sense IMO for a UCS set in the near future. That said the one we have is essentially near UCS display value anyway so. 
Honestly I’m just enjoying watching people screech about a set I’ve very calmly and quietly decided isn’t for me and am minding my own business about. This is a great time to be a primarily play scale collector with all the free entertainment :laugh:. Getting Cody in this set was always a pipe dream, and while I do agree that the clone commander should have been a pilot, I think a lot of people are dismissing an absolutely gorgeous set over what amounts to 1 single helmet mold. 

Edited by hondohnaka

The only prominent character that is exclusive to a UCS Vehicle is Piet, other than that, you've got R2-BHD, Will Scotian, and the Four-Square Imperial? Everything else is a variant or more detailed version of something available in other ways. Cody wasn't coming in this set, and lego has a very long track record that backs that up. (Obviously I'm ignoring anything that retroactively aligns more with the MBS like the 2008 Death Star, and I feel the Sandcrawler is its own special little thing)

Edit: I feel like i'm being very absolute in this comment. What I should says is every piece of previous UCS content that represents a Vehicle points to A. No super desirable exclusive figs and B. no figs needing new molds (a rule the MBS is beginning to break to be sure). Lego may well break this trend one day, but it seems like a lot of people are expecting it when the evidence says otherwise.

Edited by Archer

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Someone take the star destroyer set and shop the figs out, if that's nothing I'll take your entire stock.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

10227-1.jpg?201201160157

Lego probably saw how badly that sold! It’s a conspiracy against the Prequels !! ;) 

2 hours ago, ood0 said:

Not with UCS sets buddy. 

Figures are the set. That’s not to say the bricks aren’t the set also. The figures are plastic just like the bricks in my mind. I get it UCS is about the model but imagine a snowspeeder pilot in the recent A-Wing. That’s how I view the use of a Clone Commander for the Pilot of the Gunship. 

11 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Figures are the set. That’s not to say the bricks aren’t the set also. The figures are plastic just like the bricks in my mind. I get it UCS is about the model but imagine a snowspeeder pilot in the recent A-Wing. That’s how I view the use of a Clone Commander for the Pilot of the Gunship. 

No, they really aren't the point of a UCS set. Also rather than the snowspeeder pilot in the A-wing, it's more like Mon Mothma in the A-wing. It's not that the figure doesn't make sense in the context of the set, it's that they aren't the pilot. I didn't like it at first, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. It's not like the minifigs of a UCS set are meant to be put in the pilot's seats, and pilots aren't always the most memorable figs associated with a vehicle.

37 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No, they really aren't the point of a UCS set. Also rather than the snowspeeder pilot in the A-wing, it's more like Mon Mothma in the A-wing. It's not that the figure doesn't make sense in the context of the set, it's that they aren't the pilot. I didn't like it at first, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. It's not like the minifigs of a UCS set are meant to be put in the pilot's seats, and pilots aren't always the most memorable figs associated with a vehicle.

Not quite sure what you are saying here. At no point have I said the figures are the point. The point is the figures are ‘the set’ because they are the bricks. Anyway… 

Yeah maybe. It has been though with any other ‘Pilot’ of UCS set. It’s like throwing Mon Morgan to Pilot the UCS Millennium Falcon. 

21 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I mean, not even the system-scale gunships have proper pilots (included that is), so it tracks.

This is fair but Atleast it was a Clone Pilot. I’d like to think a new helmet mould for £330 could be possible. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

Just now, ArrowBricks said:

This is fair but Atleast it was a Clone Pilot. I’d like to think a new helmet mould for £330 could be possible. 

But why would you want a new helmet mould locked behind that huge price?

You really aren't making any sense. Minifigures are just a tiny bit of window dressing for a UCS set. When you say "they are the set", what that means colloquially is that they make or break the set - i.e. they are the main point of a set. When it comes to UCS, they most certainly are not.

15 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

When it comes to UCS, they most certainly are not.

While that is true, and personally I don't really expect, nor am phased by the lack thereof, new or exciting figures, almost every UCS set over the last ten years has included a new and much upgraded variant of a figure, and normally they are the pilot of the vehicle, even when they are not necessarily the most iconically related to the vehicle, such as a brand new technician and officer in the ISD, over Vader or Admiral Piett, gunner and pilot in the snowspeeder, over Luke and Dak, and R2 BHD in the Y wing, instead of, well, anyone. For about eight consistent years now the figures have always been included and are generally the pilots, and since every other UCS set, even much cheaper ones have gone to the effort to include very good quality figures, it seems valid for criticisms to be directed at the figure selection in this much more expensive set.

15 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

As much as I'd appreciate a new mould I completely agree I wouldn't want it locked behind an expensive set.

To be honest, I am unsure why there is any complaint over these figures, as it has been made clear they aren't teh sole factor of a UCS set, and they aren't that bad anyway.

Edited by Stuartn

33 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

To be honest, I am unsure why there is any complaint over these figures, as it has been made clear they aren't teh sole factor of a UCS set, and they aren't that bad anyway.

People disagree with how Lego chose their minifigures. No problem with that. The only way I'll get this set is if there is a sweet exclusive gift with purchase. Phase 2 Cody wouldn't make a difference for me (wouldn't it be funny if they revealed the gift with purchase was a phase 2 Cody? Anyway, there probably isn't one regardless). It's just too big to display with my space.

There's always going to be a barrier to acquire some minifigs. There isn't a problem with rewarding big money purchasers with a new minifigure that could also pop up later. 

So while I don't think the lack of an new minifigure or a pilot is a big deal, it's still not smart (in my opinion) to not put more weight to minifigure selection.

My thoughts on the gunship are, it looks great but I'm glad it doesn't have any special figures like Cody because I don't plan on getting it, at least not anytine soon. I agree with the designers' view that UCS sets are about the builds, not the figures. Locking a highly desirable figure behind a big expensive set is a terrible idea. I will say they should have at least given the figures arm printing. I think that would have at least made them more special. 

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

You really aren't making any sense. Minifigures are just a tiny bit of window dressing for a UCS set. When you say "they are the set", what that means colloquially is that they make or break the set - i.e. they are the main point of a set. When it comes to UCS, they most certainly are not.

“What that means colloquially…”Christ almighty, what I am saying is fact. That is, minifigures are part of the set because they are the same as the bricks; you can’t differentiate between the two. I explained this, nothing to do with what you have chosen to infer. At no point have I said they are the main point of the set. Ever. Hence in my mind I can criticise the UCS ‘set’ in two ways: the main build and the figures.  

Why would I want it behind a huge price? Because I genuinely believe forking that amount of money warrants a special figure like the Clone Pilot. Is it going to be released in the future? Who knows. Likely not considering the prequels are barely touched upon. 

Would you prefer them not lock a desirable minifigure behind an expensive set (which does happen already) or not make the minifigure at all? Sure ideally they make figures who haven't shown up yet, but they didn't say they would print a Cody later. It's probably pretty likely now, but still nothing yet.

Trying to wrest this to a slightly less controversial topic, I did a little measuring and by my reckoning, the BB Shuttle is roughly to scale with the Imp Shuttle which, while I would have absolutely preferred a "character" ship like this to be larger, is a really nice consistency, especially given the way the Bad Batch show is headed and granted that in canon the ships are roughly the same size. The speeders are still BS price inflaters excused as play features, though. 

At moments like this it's a real pity that there isn't a Star Wars CMF or other options for buying individual minifigs; I'm just envisaging a Gunship with a Kenner logo on the box and written in small print in the corner: "FIGURES SOLD SEPARATELY"

6 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Never thought I’d agree with MandR (his friend Sands too) in their recent videos about the Gunship figures. Bang on the money. I’m tired of half-baked sets and out of touch designers within the Star Wars department. Get some young guns in there who know how passionate many of us are about new Lego Star Wars products. Lego in the past have proven how excellent they can be with their sets (FIGURES ARE THE SET). 

In other news I can’t believe it’s mid-July. Surely a month until we hear rumours right? I love rumours, I always go in so optimistic with what they could be doing for the following year! 

I do agree that Mandr's video encapsulated how many fans feel about this set in particular and why they're frustrated with the team but UCS sets are for the builds not the figures so they can't be the focal point of this set. Where I agree with him is the interview with the designers and the continued lack of care from TLG here and there. Everything from the inaccurate logo on the box, calling it the LSW The Clone Wars Republic Gunship, saying a yellow clone = a pilot all to me say these guys don't really give a crap about SW side of the product. They're deifinitely great designers and make great sets but when it comes to knowing the difference between a clone pilot and commander in SW they're clueless which hurts the set. Also the argument that its a kids toy and kids won't notice doesn't work here cause no 6-14 year old kid is buying the 18+, $350, UCS Gunship; only people with a vested interest in SW will buy it, usually adults. 

Also whats up with the video quality from the interview. They're literally a multi billion dollar corporation how can they not afford a better camera.

Edit: Since so many people keep bring up the "locked behind a expensive set" point what is the acceptable price point for a desirable figure? I would think putting a character like Cody in the UCS Gunship would be adding value to the expensive set to incentivize a purchase cause at the end of the day that't what purchasing Lego is about. If you like what you see and you can afford or think the item is worth the price you buy it. If a person is willing to pay why can't they have something special like a cool exclusive minifg. That's one of the reason I got the Cantina cause it had some really cool exclusive minifgs and the new imperial spy. 

(Also this isn't me endorsing Cody or anyone special in UCS sets just asking the question of what price is acceptable)

Edited by kidtheboss611

I will say it absolutely should have come with a Clone Pilot and now having had the chance to hear what the designer said about the Clone Captain in the set.... wow, that's utterly ridiculous, those comments make absolutely no sense. 

Edited by ToaDraco

40 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I do agree that Mandr's video encapsulated how many fans feel about this set in particular and why they're frustrated with the team but UCS sets are for the builds not the figures so they can't be the focal point of this set. Where I agree with him is the interview with the designers and the continued lack of care from TLG here and there. Everything from the inaccurate logo on the box, calling it the LSW The Clone Wars Republic Gunship, saying a yellow clone = a pilot all to me say these guys don't really give a crap about SW side of the product. They're deifinitely great designers and make great sets but when it comes to knowing the difference between a clone pilot and commander in SW they're clueless which hurts the set. Also the argument that its a kids toy and kids won't notice doesn't work here cause no 6-14 year old kid is buying the 18+, $350, UCS Gunship; only people with a vested interest in SW will buy it, usually adults.

Yeah, I can't stand mandr but I can't help but agree with the underlying sentiment of the video. It is hard to hear and see all of these things and not feel like the team is out of touch or have designers who may have a bias against prequel content. Also, I forgot the figure selection was part of the fan vote. Obviously they weren't going to give us something insane but they absolutely should have tried a little harder. That coupled with the comment about no one being able to tell the difference between a Clone Pilot and a Clone Captain so it doesn't matter makes me change my mind a bit on the figure inclusion. They're still not bad figures and they're perfectly appropriate for the set, likely moreso than a phase 2 Cody but I can understand people's frustrations. At this point, hopefully the outcry for phase 2 Cody has reached them enoufh that they'll include him in a standard retail set next year or something. Considering the insanely good wave of Mando and CW sets we're getting next month, I can't help but feel optimistic despite the problems surrounding the UCS Gunship. 

Edit: Woops! Sorry, did not mean to double post!

Edited by ToaDraco