MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

28 minutes ago, Artizan said:

TLG's choice to make AOTC clone commander bright orange and Mortar trooper the regular yellow is really confusing.

Limited color palette aside, odd color choice is typical for TLG. They actually reversed the colors of Aragorn's robes and vest back in 2012. Orange, Yellow, and flame-orange have been very interchangeable figure to figure. the CW and RotC 212th troopers came out within a year of each-other and were different colors even though part from style they represented the same troopers.

17 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Technically, Cody doesn’t see any action in ROTS either, unless you count him handing Kenobi’s lightsaber to its owner or giving the order to blast Boga :tongue: 

Fair, technically we see him shoot at some offscreen droids before he picks up said lightsabre though 

14 minutes ago, Ajf350d said:

both probably accurate, but the interior particularly doesn’t look great, especially with the Technical supports.

The interior being barren is screen-accurate though :shrug_oh_well: And the support is definitely a structural necessity :laugh:

3 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

"The dark side blurred our vision and we used the Galactic Empire logo on packaging and instructions for the 75309 LEGO Star Wars UCS Republic Gunship, while of course we should have used the logo of the Galactic Republic. However, the infiltration didn’t affect the actual model- which proudly displays the Galactic Republic[MM(1]  logo. We are working to update the packaging and instructions.”

Ha! It’s actually just some clever foreshadowing by TLG :tongue:

I really like it. Hopefully this is just the start of PT UCS sets. 

1 minute ago, Tariq j said:

On the one hand, this would definitely be a good thing since the PT has a lot of interesting vehicle designs that would make for appealing UCS sets. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want to experience the same minifig discussion every time :tongue: 

…What do you mean there’s no Wat Tambor in the oversized UCS Jedi Interceptor?! :poke:

32 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Ha! It’s actually just some clever foreshadowing by TLG :tongue:

Until this one there wasn't a prequel UCS style set since 10 years. And we get nowdays like 2-3 per year.

I wonder where they can go from now on? As much as I also respect the prequel designs (much more than the movies themselves) I think this set might be a good test for Lego if they can tap more into the prequel waters. Because there's maaany designs left to do while for the OT they covered most.

From Disney SW there isn't so much to do so far (Kylos ship, Razor Crest).
Naja, I will elaborate more in the wishing thread.

9 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The minifig situation is once again blown out of proportion (not here of course, I mean among fans in general). I don’t get why so many people think the vote was binding, it didn’t specify anywhere that the most-voted minifigs would make it into the set. And for good reason: it’s the Internet, and a binding open-ended voting would be a horrible idea (e.g. trolls banding together to vote for Darth Jar Jar or some nonsense).

The way I see it, the purpose of the vote was likely to gauge what kind of constellation people wanted (two jedi, two clones, or one each). One jedi and one clone seems like a reasonable result of that :classic:

Exactly. Plus, once you realize that they were mainly looking at characters that were actually present by the AOTC gunship, mace and a clone commander totally seem like they could have been the most-voted characters that were actually near the gunship in episode 2.

8 hours ago, SEmrys said:

Decided to go back and have another look at the comments under MandR's post. Ticked off a few more!

So far, I've got: 

'Too expensive! Too big! Rah, Disney! Not enough figures (x1000000000)! Not the clone I wanted! And too many studs!' 

I did find one that could be construed as 'Repeated mistake', but I think that's all we're going to get. Good game @jdubbs, it's been fun. 

I got the complaints about the clone commander's color too, I think that's bingo.

3 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Set is unbelievable. Figures certainly not! 

David’s interview suggests the Clone Pilot might be on the way in the future, they just decided such a figure was not necessary for such an expensive set. 

See this makes sense. If a new clone pilot or p2 cody was in this set, people would complain it was exclusive to a $350 set. This way, the figures can be exclusive without being annoyingly so. If you want a mace, there are other versions that aren't quite as detailed but still great figs. Likewise with the clone commander. If you get the set, the figs are a nice little exclusive. If you don't, lego avoids the look of having new, fan-favorite characters or molds in a $350 set. Since the focus of a UCS set IS NOT THE FIGURES, but the build, I think this strategy not only makes sense but is actually kind of genius.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

:laugh_hard:

The Gunship got 58% of the votes, according to starwars.com :classic: Sounds a lot more reasonable than the suggested 90% :tongue:

BuT tHeY'rE pRoBaBlY lYiNg BeCaUsE tHeY dOn'T lIkE tHe PrEqUeLs!!!!! ThE gUnShIp PrObAbLy GoT 140% oF tHe VoTeS!!!!

58% makes sense, I'd guess the nebbie got like 40% and the bomber got 2%. (I've seen precisely one person on eurobricks and 0 on other social media say they voted for the bomber, so I don't think it was really a factor)

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

i was only 32% off lmao

Jedi bob is a meme and is used by 12 year olds as an excuse to not get the set they knew they would never have money for after they voted for it. I would definitely not get anything with jedi bob.

...that's kind of a big number my guy.

While I agree that jedi bob isn't really a serious choice, it is kind of ironic that while (correctly IMO) pointing out that people are using the figure selection as an excuse not to buy a set they voted to have made, you also say that the figure selection, had it been slightly different, would have made you not purchase a set you voted to have made.

For me, it's because Cody's the last remaining remnant of the clone weirdness from the initial RotS sets in 2005. I don't know how many people in this thread have been around long enough to remember that wave, but for those who don't, the selection of clone troopers was very disconnected from their prominence in the movie. In the very first wave we got a 91st Mobile Recon Corps trooper (~5 seconds screentime), a Star Corps trooper (~10 seconds screentime), two 442nd Siege Battalion troopers (canon but didn't make the actual movie), and an aerial trooper (not canon, at least not in that form). Then fairly shortly thereafter, in 2007, we got another Star Corps trooper and three Coruscant Guard troopers (~5 seconds screentime). Lots of obscure troopers is great, of course, but we DIDN'T get the 212th or 501st, which are the prominent ones that people would actually care about, or literally any of the individual clone commanders. Some of those omissions were finally rectified almost ten years later with the release of the TCW versions of the 212th and 501st troopers, but there's *still* never been a movie-style 501st trooper, and despite having since added movie versions of the far less prominent Jag, Neyo, and Gree (three times), Cody remains unaccountably absent. It's not that he's the most prominent missing prequel character (that's Shmi Skywalker), but to me he's the one who seems the most like there've been tons of sets he could've been in, to the point that their having skipped him over in favor of much less important clones makes for a weird gap in the collection.

One step closer to getting phase 2 clones again baby! Plain clone legs! Almost plain clone torso!

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

$570 for the gunship is insane! I was expecting $500. Oh well, it does look amazing and there are almost no stickers from what I can tell, 

I watched the unboxing and there are quite a lot of stickers unfortunately

2 hours ago, ood0 said:

One step closer to getting phase 2 clones again baby! Plain clone legs! Almost plain clone torso!

It would be awesome if they included P2 shinies as the bad guys in all of the Bad Batch sets like they do with the stormtroopers :pir-love:

5 hours ago, Ajf350d said:

Looks pretty good overall shape etc, although not an era of Star Wars I am that familiar with.

Two things stood out to me, are the sides not fully enclosed when the doors slide closed?
Also, the inside seems really bare.

both probably accurate, but the interior particularly doesn’t look great, especially with the Technical supports.

Do the sides fully close? None of the official pictures show a shot like that? For a display model I am hoping they close, because I kinda agree, open it feels incomplete. Even though I know that is how they were used. 

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

$570 for the gunship is insane! I was expecting $500. Oh well, it does look amazing and there are almost no stickers from what I can tell, I dislike the red stickers on the white pieces along the top. 68cm x 74cm is absolutely huge... can't wait to see it in person.

I was expecting that too, its $230 more than the US price, which is $120 dollars more than the conversion rate, even with GST factored in that's about AU$90 extra we'd have to pay!

1 hour ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

Do the sides fully close? None of the official pictures show a shot like that? For a display model I am hoping they close, because I kinda agree, open it feels incomplete. Even though I know that is how they were used. 

Only the cargo back area closes, you can't close the middle section where clones and jedi are supposed to be standing. 

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

While I agree that jedi bob isn't really a serious choice, it is kind of ironic that while (correctly IMO) pointing out that people are using the figure selection as an excuse not to buy a set they voted to have made, you also say that the figure selection, had it been slightly different, would have made you not purchase a set you voted to have made.

I like to think that there is a big difference in not buying a lego set unless LEGO puts captain rex, 2 pilots, 2 gunners, commander cody and 20 regular clones in there versus not spending minimum wage of my country on a licenced set that would come with a non licensed meme minifigure lego made back when george bush was president and none of the kids meme-ing about it were even born yet. 

I think the Mace Windu included was a pretty good choice. Alternate expression, slightly different robes, desirable but not too desirable. Cody or Rex being exclusive to this would suck.

9 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Can someone explain to me why this many people are obsessed with Phase II Cody? He’s got like two scenes (and lines) in ROTS and that’s about it :tongue: I know SW fans constantly obsess over minute details, but this is pushing it, even for this fandumb.

I can get behind being annoyed by many missing characters (heck, I myself am pretty miffed about Crosshair), but what is it about Cody in particular? :grin: His character? He only really gets developed in TCW, and we have that version. Or is it simply the design? It’s cool enough, but not worth all this ruckus

My interest in the character really comes down to completion. I like to have all the characters from the films represented so I can recreate scenes from the movies or include them in whichever displays I like. As far as Revenge of the Sith goes Phase II Cody is one of the few notable characters left from the film that still hasn't been made, along with Mustafar Padme, Senate Duel Darth Sidious, Tion Meddon and Mas Amedda. While I don't hold Cody as being more important than those other ROTS characters he does have the advantage of having more potential set options while they are much more limited in that regard.

That being said I'm glad they didn't release Cody in the Gunship. Locking him behind a massive paywall as a UCS exclusive is the wrong way to go about releasing him and I much rather wait for the next time they revisit Utapau to include him in a much more affordable set.

I love the way the Gunship turned out! I would have preferred less studs, especially on the back, but that doesn't seem to be too much of a concern for TLG so I wasn't getting my hopes up in that department.

I'm glad there's no real "exclusive" figure here although I'm still trying to figure out the overall figure selection as well as the new printing for the Clone Commander. I was under the impression that his current design was more of the Clone Wars style than the realistic style. Either way it'll take some time for me to get used to. I'm also a little bummed because now I need TLG to produce the same style for the Captain, Lieutenant, and Sergeant, as well as the standard clone. Those leg printings are just too nice. :pir-love:

I really think a Clone Pilot and standard clone should have gone with this though, definitely more fitting and iconic to this ship in my opinion.

I'm so excited to finally have my very first prequels UCS set. I've been wanting them to expand past the Original Trilogy since I got into collecting UCS like 8 years ago.

Honestly, I think people are forgetting that LEGO branded this as an episode II set when it was in the vote. Whether people voted for Cody or not, it wasn’t going to make it in the set for that reason alone. 

I know LEGO asked for what figures we wanted for the set, but, in the same way as they wouldn’t have put a Jar Jar in the Nebulon if he was most voted for (since to the best of my knowledge he’s never on a Nebulon :) ) they didn’t put Cody in an episode II Gunship. (Yes. Jar Jar is far different than Cody, but the point is still there.)

Also, as much as there’s a vocal group wanting Cody, I honestly would be interested to know actual percentages for characters people voted for in this set. Like someone said a while ago, there’s a good chance plenty of people voted for one Jedi or another (not Jedi Bob) or some kinds of clone trooper. We really don’t know. 

I’ve seen a lot of people suggest that LEGO just shouldn’t have done the vote since they weren’t going to listen to what was requested anyways, but again, the vote was for figures to go with an episode II gunship. If a majority voted to put Jar Jar in the set, I would assume (and hope) they wouldn’t listen and put other requested figures in instead. (I know Cody is desired and far different than Jar Jar)

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

I don't have a problem with the number of figs (standard for UCS models) but I would have gone with a Clone Pilot along with the Clone Commander. Maybe the fan vote indicated that people preferred a Jedi/Clone combo and so that's what we got. Even though Yoda has a stronger association with this ship I can kind of see why he wasn't included - at this much larger than minifig scale he would have looked absolutely tiny next to the model!

I get that being an AotC based ship the doors don't close but given the scale of the model, the whole troop bay to me just looks big and empty. Is it just me or do the bubble turrets look small in comparison to the troop bay? I get that a person inside the turret would be sitting down, just feels like the bubbles could have been slightly bigger especially when placed right next to the troop bay. Probably a case of not having the parts to make the bubbles any bigger.

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Also, as much as there’s a vocal group wanting Cody, I honestly would be interested to know actual percentages for characters people voted for in this set. Like someone said a while ago, there’s a good chance plenty of people voted for one Jedi or another (not Jedi Bob) or some kinds of clone trooper. We really don’t know. 

If I remember, there was only space to type in two names, or limited characters. I put two names in when I voted, but regardless the possibilities were endless. There must have been so many combinations. Safe bet was always going to be a clone and a jedi or a couple of clones.

It would be interesting to see the combinations though. If anything, would make for some crazy board chat! :roflmao:

Bored of reading about minifigures. Shut up about the god damn Cody. The only acceptable figures should be a Jedi Bob/Mace Windu and a brand new accurate Clone Pilot. Would be 10/10 otherwise.

Nice one, speak soon. 

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I’ve seen a lot of people suggest that LEGO just shouldn’t have done the vote since they weren’t going to listen to what was requested anyways, but again, the vote was for figures to go with an episode II gunship. If a majority voted to put Jar Jar in the set, I would assume (and hope) they wouldn’t listen and put other requested figures in instead. (I know Cody is desired and far different than Jar Jar)

If they had a limited palette of characters they were willing to consider using, the vote should've just been between those characters. I don't have any opinion on this--I wasn't even aware the vote was happening until after it ended, and I don't particularly care what figures are in the Gunship--but everything that I've seen here leads me to think that a) people's expectations were almost certainly unrealistic, but b) LEGO completely brought that on themselves by not clarifying exactly what was being voted on or where/if those figures would appear. The figures are perfectly appropriate for the Gunship, and P2 Cody or most of the other suggestions wouldn't have been, so there's nothing there that's inherently objectionable, but not addressing the vote at all is still a bad look for LEGO whether you agree with the outcome or not.

16 hours ago, bountybossk said:

Thing that annoys me the most about this release is MandR's entitled behavior. Why does LEGO still share embargoed info with this kid? He posted a video with the leaked image yesterday and today he released his reveal video 10 minutes before the embargo dropped just so he could be the first one on YouTube...

Why is it that there is always someone in this thread who attacks him no matter what. No matter what the news is or whether he is right or wrong the same people in this forum that know he is on here attack him. Just block/mute/don't watch him if he offends you so much and move on with your life.

Regarding the minifigs, Since they're a bonus and don't matter for UCS I don't care but what the designer said during the live stream struck me as tone deaf and really dumb.

He said that all people remember about the Gunship was a "yellow clone" and thus they chose this clone commander. I don't know if the designers are fans but I pretty sure they watched AOTC or at least looked at some pictures prior to designing this set so to make the decision to not have a pilot and then stand by that with the response of "yellow clone" doesn't make any sense to me. For the record, I think he's a great designer (he did a great job with the UCS Falcon) but whoever wrote his lines for the interview with Solid Brix should be let go. 

Also I worked out the numbers behind the vote using the info released and approximations fro bomber/nebulon support:

Gunship 30k - 58%

Nebulon 19.1k - 37%

Bomber 2.5 - 5%

Using these numbers I think its reasonable that there is a real demand for the Nebulon and I would go as far as to say more people that voted would purchase one because more older people purchase the UCS sets and the Nebulon is OT. I hope we see this and the bomber in the next couple of years as they must have designed them already. 

Edited by kidtheboss611

4 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

olutely tiny next to the model!

But in a way he would be to scale

The Clone Commander torso is the ANIMATED version????  :facepalm: :wall: :ugh:

Thats the final straw... Voted on it, but its a pass for me. :wacko:

Edited by Cyberfounder