MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

What I found most shocking about the reveal was that the video feed from LEGO was so poor quality. Are they using some random laptop webcam for their official reveals now? Just not good idea for a company like LEGO IMO.

The gunship is one of my favourite designs from the PT, and I thought I would be excited to see a UCS version, but I'm not. Not sure why either, just not excited.

I was never going to buy it, but it's a nice model. Size + price could be a bit too much for some people.

But I can't stop thinking: what if they made it minifig-scale (like a highly detailed version of 75021), $200 and included Cody, Jedi Bob and the pilots? PT/CW-fans would probably go nuts and buy multiple.

Yeah $580 is a bit too much. Looks great however. Also boycotting this set because there’s no orange, or petranaki arena included.

Can someone explain to me why this many people are obsessed with Phase II Cody? He’s got like two scenes (and lines) in ROTS and that’s about it :tongue: I know SW fans constantly obsess over minute details, but this is pushing it, even for this fandumb.

I can get behind being annoyed by many missing characters (heck, I myself am pretty miffed about Crosshair), but what is it about Cody in particular? :grin: His character? He only really gets developed in TCW, and we have that version. Or is it simply the design? It’s cool enough, but not worth all this ruckus

*oh2* Impressive model. I'm not that big a fan of more-than-minifigure-scale sized UCS ships (I've only kept the minifigure-scale Millennium Falcon, Slave I and Imperial Shuttle in my collection, as well as 75252), since the play versions of the vehicles usually get the job done for me in terms of screen-accuracy, so I have to agree with the people saying that perhaps the Gunship was not the best option for a UCS set. Nevertheless, I really want to see this thing in display at the LEGO Store, since it looks massive.

1 hour ago, bountybossk said:

Thing that annoys me the most about this release is MandR's entitled behavior. Why does LEGO still share embargoed info with this kid? He posted a video with the leaked image yesterday and today he released his reveal video 10 minutes before the embargo dropped just so he could be the first one on YouTube...

Like I've said multiple times, he's a member of this forum and deserves the same respect as anyone else. If you don't like him or his content, don't watch it. But, I guess that's too difficult since we live in a culture where everyone feels "entitled" to everyone else's thoughts and actions...Why can't we just live and let live? 

Edited by avengers777

I saw these two posts and for a second I thought they were in reply to each other... :laugh:

21 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Can someone explain to me why this many people are obsessed with Phase II Cody? He’s got like two scenes (and lines) in ROTS and that’s about it :tongue: I know SW fans constantly obsess over minute details, but this is pushing it, even for this fandumb.

I can get behind being annoyed by many missing characters (heck, I myself am pretty miffed about Crosshair), but what is it about Cody in particular? :grin: His character? He only really gets developed in TCW, and we have that version. Or is it simply the design? It’s cool enough, but not worth all this ruckus

8 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Like I've said multiple times, he's a member of this forum and deserves the same respect as anyone else. If you don't like him or his content, don't watch it. But, I guess that's too difficult since we live in a culture where everyone feels "entitled" to everyone else's thoughts and actions...Why can't we just live and let live? 

1 minute ago, Agent Kallus said:

I saw these two posts and for a second I thought they were in reply to each other... :laugh:

:laugh_hard:

The Gunship got 58% of the votes, according to starwars.com :classic: Sounds a lot more reasonable than the suggested 90% :tongue:

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I mean, that's tough; why do people get so obsessed over Stormtroopers (and/or Mandalorians)? Clones are the younger generation's Stormies with the added bonus of being the "good guys". All you have to do is look at the market for custom clones to see the passion.

Especially in the Lego SW community because kids loved/love army building. Keep in mind, too, that Phase 1 Clones are far less differentiated from each other. Phase 2 is when the colors really pop. If you're army-building the 212th, then, you need a Phase 2 Cody to lead them.

Cody himself is

• (a) important to the story as he is the second-in-command to the co-protagonist to the entire Prequel Trilogy era, making him one of the two most important clones, and the only one that appears in the movie. Also, he appears in his P2 armor in Seasons 4-7 (4 seasons) vs. Seasons 1-3 (3 seasons) in his P1 armor.
  • (b) His design, yes, is also very unique. If you've looked into the market for custom clones, you'll see how much people love unique designs. People obsess over the different versions of Vader (ANH vs. ESB), Stormies, etc. It stands to reason, then, people would be interested in the primary version of this character.

From a Meta perspective, (1) people feel emboldened from the 501st vote and feel like if they're vocal enough, they'll get it and (2) they're upset that they were 'bamboozled' by TLG supposedly ignoring the minifigure fan voting.

BTW I'm not a Cody stan and I'm not devastated by his lack of inclusion (for any of the reasons above). That's just my perspective on the passion/vocalization of others.

7 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Haha...Although I strongly disagree with @BrickBob Studpants's opinion on Cody, I wouldn't come after him like that. He was 100% being respectful to other people's opinions, which is all I ask for :grin:

41 minutes ago, bountybossk said:

I was never going to buy it, but it's a nice model. Size + price could be a bit too much for some people.

But I can't stop thinking: what if they made it minifig-scale (like a highly detailed version of 75021), $200 and included Cody, Jedi Bob and the pilots? PT/CW-fans would probably go nuts and buy multiple.

Thing is, that’s not really UCS.  The Gunship models we’ve gotten (retailing for like $100-120 in the past) are already pretty detailed and are at a good scale.  I think their length is a bit short, but if you scale that up, it might not look right proportionally, and making it any taller/wider would just be silly next to minifigures.  

Similarly, there’s only so much detail you can add, and it’s not $80 worth to justify a price gap between $120 and $200.  Like someone said a few pages back, they could’ve done a Gunship plus a bunch of side builds (speeder, Geonosian cannon, etc), but then people would’ve just been mad because they could’ve left those builds out and made it cheaper and/or complaints akin to those directed at the Battle of Hoth UCS for being too many side builds.

Also, about the Imperial box art - I almost wonder if this was a purposeful mistake to see if any LAN individuals leaked it.  I remember there was some speculation that the images of the Bad Batch shuttle given to LAN members were intentionally slightly different from each other to try to catch any leakers, and wonder if this was similar or truly an oversight.

44 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You're not wrong but I think the demand boils down to a few simple reasons

.Yes we have a clone wars cody that's just his phase 1 amour which was only used in series 1- 3 his RotS armour was used in the rest of the show

.whilst he's not in RotS much he does initiate the Order 66 sequence which is one of the trilogies most iconic scenes increasingly his desirability 

.Obi-wan is likely the most popular character from the trilogy so being his Commander helps Cody's case

.Whilst it's not anything too indepth Cody is the only Live action clone and first clone in general to be given any form of characterization making him special to most fans of the clones

.also yeah, his armour's cool

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

2 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Haha...Although I strongly disagree with @BrickBob Studpants's opinion on Cody, I wouldn't come after him like that. 

But I’m coming after you :devil: Just kidding.

Actually, I want a phase II Cody as much as the next guy, but what I was getting at in my last post was the levels of obsession with him that I fail to understand. The list of missing characters is still pretty long, and I don’t think any of the other characters or versions on there have ever resulted in reactions like this :shrug_oh_well:

Some of the other missing characters have a lot more impact on the story (Boss Nass, members of the separatist council, Saw Guerrera, Dryden Vos, L3, Nien Nunb, TROS senate), and he’s not the only missing clone with unique armour (Crosshair). Is it a bandwagon sort of deal? :laugh:

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Gunship got 58% of the votes, according to starwars.com :classic: Sounds a lot more reasonable than the suggested 90% :tongue:

i was only 32% off lmao

22 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Like I've said multiple times, he's a member of this forum and deserves the same respect as anyone else. 

100%
i remember reading yesterday how people attacked him for saying there is an empire logo on the box and now that it's confirmed no apologies or anything.

47 minutes ago, bountybossk said:

Yeah, i think it would make more people happy if 1 set became ucs preferably nebulon and other 2 playsets. I am still getting the set, but i would rather have multiple playsets and it could have been advertised with mandalorian starfighter just throw in couple of ahsoka troopers, rex and 2 pilots, i would definitely buy 3-4 of those.
Jedi bob is a meme and is used by 12 year olds as an excuse to not get the set they knew they would never have money for after they voted for it. I would definitely not get anything with jedi bob.

TLG's choice to make AOTC clone commander bright orange and Mortar trooper the regular yellow is really confusing.

1 minute ago, PreVizsla said:

100%
i remember reading yesterday how people attacked him for saying there is an empire logo on the box and now that it's confirmed no apologies or anything..

He did make a bit of a mountain out of that particular molehill, but to be fair he was right.

10 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Obi-wan is likely the most popular character from the trilogy so being his Commander helps Cody's case

This is the one for me, of the two main protagonists I always preferred Obi-Wan over Anakin, and by extension the 212th over the 501st. I think the clamour in some parts of the community is just so they can have something to shout about.

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Some of the other missing characters have a lot more impact on the story (Boss Nass, members of the separatist council, Saw Guerrera, Dryden Vos, L3, Nien Nunb, TROS senate), and he’s not the only missing clone with unique armour (Crosshair). Is it a bandwagon sort of deal? :laugh:

Well with the exception of Nien nunb, the sepratist council and Boss Nass all of these characters/varients are pretty recent so the demand hasn't had nearly enough time to fester as it's entirely plausible we'll get them in the next 5 years and as for the others they have the fundamental disadvantage of not having an action scene which while it doesn't make their inclusion impossible it does make people less likely to expect them

3 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

100%
i remember reading yesterday how people attacked him for saying there is an empire logo on the box and now that it's confirmed no apologies or anything.

Not to delve too deep into this topic again, but at least to me, he lost all goodwill he had with that lie about the contracts. You can’t blame us for not believing him after that :tongue:

10 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Jedi bob is a meme and is used by 12 year olds as an excuse to not get the set they knew they would never have money for after they voted for it. I would definitely not get anything with jedi bob.

Indeed. Memes are good and all, as long as they stay on the Internet, where they belong. Once they start affecting real life, I’m out 

10 minutes ago, Artizan said:

TLG's choice to make AOTC clone commander bright orange and Mortar trooper the regular yellow is really confusing. 

I agree.

His visor also seems to be black now instead of the accurate silver.

The build itself is beautifully done. I love all the details and how the set overally looks. Minifigures are great too.

My problem with this set is that it just looks... empty. All the cockpits without pilots, and the middle area... just a giant hole with literally no troops, although it's a troop transport.

7 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

[…] and as for the others they have the fundamental disadvantage of not having an action scene

Technically, Cody doesn’t see any action in ROTS either, unless you count him handing Kenobi’s lightsaber to its owner or giving the order to blast Boga :tongue: 

12 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Which one(s)?

e.g. Sandcrawler, Falcon, ISD are NOT greater than minifigure scale.

e.g. X-Wing, A-Wing are NOT greater than $200.

oh... I understand what you're saying now. But X-Wing, A-Wing are greater than minifigure scale, that's why I was confused but I understand now.

$570 for the gunship is insane! I was expecting $500. Oh well, it does look amazing and there are almost no stickers from what I can tell, I dislike the red stickers on the white pieces along the top. 68cm x 74cm is absolutely huge... can't wait to see it in person.

Looks pretty good overall shape etc, although not an era of Star Wars I am that familiar with.

Two things stood out to me, are the sides not fully enclosed when the doors slide closed?
Also, the inside seems really bare.

both probably accurate, but the interior particularly doesn’t look great, especially with the Technical supports.