MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

So I think those Turrets are two of the larger dome pieces with a 1 stud thick build around the equator. Not what was expecting but I think it works.

I can't tell if there is a reflection on that Mace fig or if I'm seeing teeth, Be nice if he has an exclusive head.

Edited by Archer

Oh, it's beautiful.

It's also hee-uge. I'm impressed that the main hold is so empty - I seem to recall the system ones being pretty full of support structure.

I can't wait. Will be ordering that for sure.

The build looks great. Though I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a net hanging from the ceiling of the passenger compartment.

When is this due out? August 1st?

Can it be tomorrow? :laugh:

Absolute beauty of a vessel, the top cannons look a little off, but still just, wow. And a huge troop bay, ready to be filled with the legion of your choice (501st for now, since that's what I have the most of).

Mace Windu and Commander Ponds, who I'll need to take a closer look at, are okay choices. If Ponds is flame-orange-yellow (like the 2013 212th Trooper), I may be okay with that, since everyone thinks it's more yellow than orange anyway, and is a great color overall.

First day purchase. I've never had a Gunship and the wait has finally paid off (crazy how this is now cheaper than the retail versions).

Wow this looks amazing! And HUGE! Really impressive that it looks like the wings can take their own weight and don't need additional stands. My only issue with build is how much studded surface there is. I'm usually fine with studs, but the doors look wierd to me. Why are there grey studs around the door? Surely they should be covered with white tiles. Easy enough mod, just strange.

Also I hope that the dark red on the canopy pieces matches LEGO's dark red (actually that's not consistent either...)

The minifigures aren't exciting, but THAT ISN'T THE POINT OF A UCS SET. And let's be real, people would still be mad if the legendary P2 Commander Cody was exclusive to a $350 set.

As a university student who grew up with the prequels/clone wars, I voted for this and I am happy with what we have. It's not even that I don't have the money, it's the space required :( I might build it with one wing and see if it fits on a shelf?...

I just hope there isn't an onslaught of entitled manchildren/YouTubers complaining that it didn't include the entire 212th legion...or that it's not minifigigure scale (what did they expect in a UCS set? The only minifig scale ones are when the playset is undersized)...if they wanted that, go and Bricklink the Brickvault version.

gunship looks nice. I wonder how we'll be able to pick it up physically - that lower back part looks rather fragile to me (I know, it's true to the original design) if we were to pick it up underneath the entire build but then again it must support the whole weight so...

7 minutes ago, Alpha Draconis said:

gunship looks nice. I wonder how we'll be able to pick it up physically - that lower back part looks rather fragile to me (I know, it's true to the original design) if we were to pick it up underneath the entire build but then again it must support the whole weight so...

I think it'll be okay because of the Technic beams at the back of the troop bay - the in universe ship doesn't have them. They will take the weight of the back of the ship, not the lower back

I don't quite understand does it look minifig scale to anyone? To me it looks more in scale with the other UCS sets (= too big for figs).

So yeah I don't see too much sense in bigger than minifigscale-troop transports but as a build it looks incredible from the leaked picture.

And the Mace Windu from that last weird Grevious set was perfect; for the first time he actually got an exclusive/accurate head print. If you don't do dual molding/boots, skirt piece there's not much to change.

46 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The Clone appears to be plain white (to me, at least). If it is some shade of orange, it will probably be Bright Light Orange (since that matches the on-screen appearance of P1 Clone Commanders better than LEGO’s yellow does). 

It's a clone commander with flame orange yellow arms and printing.

Mace has teeth too.

4 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I don't quite understand does it look minifig scale to anyone? To me it looks more in scale with the other UCS sets (= too big for figs).

So yeah I don't see too much sense in bigger than minifigscale-troop transports but as a build it looks incredible from the leaked picture.

Yeah it's bigger than minifig scale by a sizable amount, one only needs to look at the cockpits to see that. I'm glad they did that though, it is a UCS set after all.

It's a very nice build.

That looks absolutely incredible - definitely one for the shopping list!! :wub:

If there's a half-decent GWP I might even be tempted to buy it on 1st August; I'll be interested to see what the UK RRP is...

That looks brilliant. It’s good to see the hold has so much space. Even if it’s larger than minifigure scale you can still fill it with Clones. 

If only they had an event that could have properly revealed it before it got leaked. :hmpf: 

Little big for figs but everywhere besides the Bay Area looks like they would look good with some figures in them especially the bubble turrets.

I re-entered LEGO fandom after the fan vote so this set news was a pleasant surprise a little while ago. While it might not have been realistic to expect a slightly smaller-scale (eg minifig scale) USC Gunship, I was hoping for one that would more reasonably fit in my smaller home and fit minis.

Maybe the ship will be close enough to fudge it as some here wonder. I am certainly less likely to buy one this size. Oh well. It is after all a tool for the imagination!

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Well, we've known for quite some time that it wasn't going to be minifigure scale, and even before then, there was a very strong possibility that it was going to be larger than minifig scale for a while now.  The only minifig scale UCS ships/vehicles are ones that can't be done at true minifig scale at a system-scale price point (Sandcrawler, Slave I, Falcon, etc), and the Gunship at $120-150 is more or less minifig scale.  There's going to be a bunch of complaints about why the minifigure selection is bad or it's too big, but that's to be expected for pretty much every UCS model. 

That said, it looks really good.  I don't get the orange thing either, but it looks like a really cool display piece.  I won't be buying it, UCS-scale vehicles aren't my thing (and I'd rather put that $350 towards some Ideas sets and summer wave SW stuff), but it does look good.

The set looks fantastic and is a day one purchase for me. Since I've never had a gunship before I'm really excited to get my hand on it and fill it with the 501st regardless of scale.

I know UCS is for the builds and I have never had an issue with any of the fig choices (exclusive or not) in other UCS models but for this set specifically I think figs are kind of important. To reiterate, I understand UCS is for display not figs but considering it is $350 and a fan voted set IMO its ok to at least ask the question of why there was a section of the vote to pick a figure if those desires were never going to be considered. Just my opinion.

Anyway I'm still gonna pick this up and am delighted we finally get a prequel UCS set and that I have the ability to buy one. 

Looks good, can't wait for the official reveal and more detailed pics. I need to understand where I am going to squeeze this thing in! And it looks like it will be better to be displayed sideways or an angle versus head on, which means ever more shelf space!

Looks really cool, but not for me. That Mace Windu head is going to be insane on Bricklink, though. 

26 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

The only minifig scale UCS ships/vehicles are ones that can't be done at true minifig scale at a system-scale price point (Sandcrawler, Slave I, Falcon, etc)

This doesn't detract from your point at all, but the UCS Sandcrawler is still less than half of minifig scale. Those things are huge, quite a bit larger even than the Falcon. The minifig-scale MOCs are in the 12-15k piece range.

21 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

To reiterate, I understand UCS is for display not figs but considering it is $350 and a fan voted set IMO its ok to at least ask the question of why there was a section of the vote to pick a figure if those desires were never going to be considered. Just my opinion.

I get the frustration, but your statement has a couple of assumptions that may or may not be fair: 

1) that LEGO didn't consider people's opinions - I think the fact that there was a poll for both the set and the figures tells me LEGO considers our desires at least a little bit, and

2) that the minifigures included in the set aren't actually the ones most people requested. No one has any idea which figures got the most requests - how do we know said figures weren't Mace Windu and a Clone Trooper? Not saying they were, but most detractors of the set's minifigs seem to think, "I wanted ________ figures, and they aren't in it, so LEGO must not care", rather than, "____________ figures are in this set, so perhaps those are the figures that got the most votes." Just a thought.

I think it's a gorgeous set and am really happy with the Mace figure, as he is my favorite character from the prequels.

7 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I get the frustration, but your statement has a couple of assumptions that may or may not be fair: 

1) that LEGO didn't consider people's opinions - I think the fact that there was a poll for both the set and the figures tells me LEGO considers our desires at least a little bit, and

2) that the minifigures included in the set aren't actually the ones most people requested. No one has any idea which figures got the most requests - how do we know said figures weren't Mace Windu and a Clone Trooper? Not saying they were, but most detractors of the set's minifigs seem to think, "I wanted ________ figures, and they aren't in it, so LEGO must not care", rather than, "____________ figures are in this set, so perhaps those are the figures that got the most votes." Just a thought.

I think it's a gorgeous set and am really happy with the Mace figure, as he is my favorite character from the prequels.

For the record I don't want a P2 Cody in this set and you're right I have no clue what minifig won the vote but IMO it makes a lot of sense to put a AOTC pilot in this set regardless of the votes outcome cause it makes more sense as a complement to the ship then Mace or Ponds. According to lego's post the Gunship got 30,000 votes and I never thought they would actually release that info but if they were to release all the vote outcomes that would be great cause then we wouldn’t speculate on whether the figure choice was reflective of the vote. 

Also I think the reason nobody thinks "____________ figures are in this set, so perhaps those are the figures that got the most votes." is because Mace Windu isn't a character I think of when I think Gunship and neither is Commander Ponds.