MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I swear, this set is going to end up selling poorly because half the votes seem to be from people with either unrealistic expectations, as we've seen from comments on this forum, or from people who voted for it but never intended to buy it, as we've also seen on this forum.

I voted for it and intend on buying it. My expectations are for a massive, aesthetically appealing display piece, an interesting build and a couple of minifigs. I hope it sells well, both so LEGO will be encouraged to do more polls in the future like the one that produced this set, and so they will seriously consider creating more prequel UCS sets in the future.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I highly doubt this, at all. The overlap of UCS sets and battle packs is pretty low, as you have to remember a lot of adults only get the UCS sets, not the system ones. That said, I could see some people getting p1 shinies or 212th p2 troopers to fill it, since they're the ones shown in them in the films. 332nd troopers would be some of the least likely ones people would choose to fill a gunship. 

Yeah, we will probably have to fill it with innacurate and overpriced 501st sets. Seems much cheaper than buying older shinies on bricklink. I also think it would not be overlap for ucs set, but a result of great sales of AAT and 501st sets last year + they made those special new prints for mando helmets for Saxon and Armorer wouldn't be too crazy to give us dark trooper bp and then half clone half Maul's super commandos bp. 

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Maybe this set will just be a defeat for prequel fans in any case if it doesn't sell well despite a survey that may have been rigged due to trolls or internet overpresentation.

What are you talking about? What kind of trolls? Gunship most likely destroyed everyone in that vote with 90% of votes and it was so horrible they won't even post it. Community is overwhelmingly prequel fans, the only problem in last 15 years is that 30 year olds + would destroy middle schoolers, high schoolers and students that grew up with prequels in sales cause they have a steady job and can drop 800$ for UCS falcon and UCS star destroyer for 700$. Times are slowly changing, those of us that grew up with prequels have jobs now and can match OT sales. This can only be a huge win for us and if it works we will get more and more UCS sets maybe even to the point of only prequel sets till sequel fans (if they even exist) grow up. I am extremely confident that we will destroy a-wing and star destroyer sales in first few months with ease.

3 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

The majority of UCS owners I know have little to no interest in figures. Other than UCS sets they buy like technic cars and stuff. Not to say this is anyone out there but just the people in this certain thread are not the majority.

UCS sets so far had a certain style (the build, not many figures, little focus on interior). This set so far sounds like it will not adapt. Let's see if the prequel people (mostly younger I assume because for many older generations the prequels didn't matter much) are actually a market for this kind of set anyway.

I don't think TLG would have done their homework right if they don't give in to some things (at least the inclusion of some figs doesn't push the cost compared to creating a new mold for a certain Clone). But still people voted for an UCS set and this is likely what they will get. If you want the brickvault moc and figures; go to bricklink and costume figure sites. Maybe this set will just be a defeat for prequel fans in any case if it doesn't sell well despite a survey that may have been rigged due to trolls or internet overpresentation.

I'd find this sad because while not liking the movies, I do admire the designs. There's so many great designs compared to the sequels -> I can only think of the Ressistance Bomber and Kylos ship as original designs. Other sets were like punk versions of existing vehicles (not saying they looked bad; I really liked them just it was missing prequel level new designs.

Exactly this. Most of the people who voted for this, based off comments on various platforms, are teenagers who like the prequels and considered nothing else when voting, such as whether or not they would buy it. In fact, you can look even on this thread and see people saying they voted to "Support prequels" but didn't intend to buy it :ugh:.

39 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Yeah, we will probably have to fill it with innacurate and overpriced 501st sets. Seems much cheaper than buying older shinies on bricklink. I also think it would not be overlap for ucs set, but a result of great sales of AAT and 501st sets last year + they made those special new prints for mando helmets for Saxon and Armorer wouldn't be too crazy to give us dark trooper bp and then half clone half Maul's super commandos bp. 

What are you talking about? What kind of trolls? Gunship most likely destroyed everyone in that vote with 90% of votes and it was so horrible they won't even post it. Community is overwhelmingly prequel fans, the only problem in last 15 years is that 30 year olds + would destroy middle schoolers, high schoolers and students that grew up with prequels in sales cause they have a steady job and can drop 800$ for UCS falcon and UCS star destroyer for 700$. Times are slowly changing, those of us that grew up with prequels have jobs now and can match OT sales. This can only be a huge win for us and if it works we will get more and more UCS sets maybe even to the point of only prequel sets till sequel fans (if they even exist) grow up. I am extremely confident that we will destroy a-wing and star destroyer sales in first few months with ease.

This reads like fanfiction or a fantasy, and also on a conceptual level is similar to @jdubbs's bingo, except unironically. None of this is supported by facts, so let's go through it bit by bit since I'm bored.

1. What was innacurate about the 501st set? The jet trooper not having boots? The figs and vehicles are accurate to TCW. 2. You mention the great sales of the 501st set and AAT: The 501st set, despite you just saying it was "inaccurate and overpriced", did sell well, but I've seen nothing showing the AAT being noteworthy. At the very least, it didn't have the incredibly hard-to-get sales of the mando battlepack or some other sets. 3. Yes, there are tons of trolls. One only needs to look at posts on the ideas site, any social media site, this forum, etc to see that. 4. You have literally no evidence of the gunship getting 90% of votes. 5. No, the community is not overwhelmingly prequel fans. Most of the internet-active community perhaps, but actual lego sales aren't generated solely from r/prequelmemes and MandRproduction's subscribers. 6. You are correct that the 30+ year olds would outvote younger populations on UCS sets...because they can pay for it, and lego is a company, so it wants money to feed it's employees. So yeah, they can drop the money for it...that's why those sets were made, because lego figured out people would drop the money for it. 7. This is more of a conceptual thing but you're us-v-them mentality is hilarious, it's not a fight. 8. Only prequel UCS sets is some sort of fantasy or pipe dream, that's hilarious. 9. Yes, sequel fans exist, and as you infer, a similar thing to what happened with the prequels will most likely happen with them. 

TLDR: 

None of these predictions are realistic, the us-vs-them mentality is kind of crazy, and companies generally seek to make products based on how well the products sell.

27 minutes ago, joebiwankenobi said:

Consider your expectations subverted on what is orange. It's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Are you a leaker? No offense, I just can't keep track. 

I'm not, but I can confidently say it's not cody, please don't do this guys.

52 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

In fact, you can look even on this thread and see people saying they voted to "Support prequels" but didn't intend to buy it :ugh:.

Are there really people who have said that? I haven't seen any comments expressing this intent and I read this thread daily. Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem the people who have said they voted for the Gunship but aren't buying are exceptions to the rule. I guess how long the set is on shelves will ultimately tell the tale - I'd say 2 years or more has to be considered a success. Even then, I consider 75181 UCS Y-Wing to be a fantastic set, but it only lasted about 1.5 years in LEGO stores. And yeah, I really hope discussion around the Gunship doesn't spiral into an us vs. them mentality. 

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Are there really people who have said that? I haven't seen any comments expressing this intent and I read this thread daily. Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem the people who have said they voted for the Gunship but aren't buying are exceptions to the rule. I guess how long the set is on shelves will ultimately tell the tale - I'd say 2 years or more has to be considered a success. Even then, I consider 75181 UCS Y-Wing to be a fantastic set, but it only lasted about 1.5 years in LEGO stores. And yeah, I really hope discussion around the Gunship doesn't spiral into an us vs. them mentality. 

Yeah, you can look far back in this thread, along with the 2020 thread and a separate thread created for this exact purpose, though one of the users expressing that intent seems to have changed their mind now.

3 hours ago, joebiwankenobi said:

Consider your expectations subverted on what is orange. It's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

So I'm assuming that it is the accent color. That would certainly be a departure from the films, but nothing too terrible. Better than some random dirt stains.

So far everything that's been (cheekily) hinted at seems quite reasonable. I hope the troop cabin is at least open-floor, that way I can stuff it full of >insert regiment here<

Taking a wild guess and saying that it will have orange nose art? I have no idea what else it could possibly be if they want this thing to sell.

16 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Double VIP points does apply to pre-orders. So if you order the Bad Batch shuttle now you'll get x2 points. I did that with the Razor Crest.

Cool thx for the help.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

5. No, the community is not overwhelmingly prequel fans. Most of the internet-active community perhaps, but actual lego sales aren't generated solely from r/prequelmemes and MandRproduction's subscribers.

While I agree the community is not "overwhelmingly prequel fans" you can't deny that things like Mandr's influecene and support lends credence to the theory that a majority of LSW fans are younger and prefer the prequel sets more. That's not to say they will buy the set and sure they might have voted with the aim of supporting the prequels but you don't know that for a fact just the same way nobody knows who really won the set vote. Just cause a few people in this thread voted with no intention of purchasing doesn't mean that all the people who voted for a different first-choice set would buy that one. Also the simple fact that certain fans in specific areas can't/couldn't get prequel/CW sets that they wanted (AAT for me) shows the demand is there even of the vote was lampooned by prequel fans.

I'll be playing along with the bingo card the first insta post reaction I see cause its gonna be a moan fest however, I'm still curious about the mini-fig vote and why Lego did one if they weren't going to make any of the figs requested (That's not to say p2 cody was most requested or that mace windu and a Clone commander weren't). I personally wanted a p1 pilot cause we've never got one and they're prominent in the Gunship scenes from ATOC. 

11 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I personally wanted a p1 pilot cause we've never got one and they're prominent in the Gunship scenes from ATOC. 

We've had several, albeit none with the right helmet, but we have 2 AOTC variants alone.

8 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

We've had several, albeit none with the right helmet, but we have 2 AOTC variants alone.

I believe the TCW version appeared in 4 sets in addition to those

Edited by Stuartn

15 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

I believe the TCW version appeared in 4 sets in addition to those

Correct. V-19, Venator, AT-OT/Dropship and the 2011 AC.

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

[…] credence to the theory that a majority of LSW fans are younger and prefer the prequel sets more.

That doesn‘t really make much sense though, especially the „majority“ part. If PT/TCW sets really outsold anything else, why are OT sets still so dominant? If they were prefered to such an extend among the core audience, you‘d think TLG would have noticed by now :tongue:

My theory, if you can call it that, is that hardcore PT fans are very vocal online, but don‘t have that much of an influence sales-wise :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I meant the version in the pic not the CW version. I'm pretty sure we've never had this one without the fin.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That doesn‘t really make much sense though, especially the „majority“ part. If PT/TCW sets really outsold anything else, why are OT sets still so dominant? If they were prefered to such an extend among the core audience, you‘d think TLG would have noticed by now :tongue:

My theory, if you can call it that, is that hardcore PT fans are very vocal online, but don‘t have that much of an influence sales-wise :shrug_oh_well:

I think you might have missed my point. I wasn't trying to say that PT fans are a majority but rather that you can't know for sure either way and trends indicate that when kids grow up and start to spend money the things they grew up with influence their purchasing patterns (Ex. Me with CW and every Ahsoka and Rex minifig). Also the OT will always be dominant because they are the most iconic so TLG would be dumb to not always have x-wings on shelves. However the fact remains that if they wanted to make even more money they'd make more prequel/clone related sets because even though the consensus in this forum might be that prequel fans don't make up a majority their are many pieces of evidence that suggests that's what SW Lego fans want. Everything from the 501st BP movement, to the many Lego clone customs available, and the most telling, the prices for clones on Bricklink and other third party sites. The demand is there and doesn't seem to want to be filled by TLG. Also, the success of CW Black Series should be an indicator to Lego that SW fans of all ages, not just little kids or serious Lego collectors, will buy SW stuff if it's well made.

But then again that's just my opinion and what do I know.:shrug_oh_well:

Clone_trooper_pilot.jpeg

Edited by kidtheboss611

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

1. What was innacurate about the 501st set?
2. You mention the great sales of the 501st set and AAT: The 501st set, despite you just saying it was "inaccurate and overpriced", did sell well, but I've seen nothing showing the AAT being noteworthy. At the very least, it didn't have the incredibly hard-to-get sales of the mando battlepack or some other sets.
3. Yes, there are tons of trolls.
4. You have literally no evidence of the gunship getting 90% of votes.
5. No, the community is not overwhelmingly prequel fans. Most of the internet-active community perhaps, but actual lego sales aren't generated solely from r/prequelmemes and MandRproduction's subscribers.
6. You are correct that the 30+ year olds would outvote younger populations on UCS sets...because they can pay for it, and lego is a company, so it wants money to feed it's employees. So yeah, they can drop the money for it...that's why those sets were made, because lego figured out people would drop the money for it.

1. 501st set is innacurate cause of builds, figures are perfect. I am not saying there should be minifigure scale, but 30$ sets should have some sorts of accuracy and not 6 times the size at-rt that is taller than my 2007 MTT, not even gonna talk about double the size barc speeder. No one would care if it's a 15$ battlepack, but LEGO did us dirty and made it double the price (same number of figures, innacurate builds). Even the most respected person in the community Jang talked about innacuracies. Recently the best YT moc builder Solid Brix built a part of his Geonosis moc and what do we see there AAT straight from the box, but to have accurate AT-RT he had to buy parts and design 1 himself cause of LEGO's innacuracies (only best is good enough though).

2. i will make multiple sections for this based on you admiting 501st set sold well
Youtube - I checked most of the youtubers you guys here watch and i found AAT review beat 501st review on these channel: Jangbricks, Solid Brix Studio, Potter Minifig Pals, Austrian LEGO Fan. Bigger online interest.
Brickset - 2020 AAT is owned by around 9 thousand people according to brickset which means AAT beats aka is owned more than: any of the Harry Potter sets from 2020 and 2021, any of the Tehnic sets from 2017-2021, Marvel superheroes 2019-2021 (only iron man hall of armor coming close) , any of the city sets 2019-2021... 
AAT is ranked number 2 in most owned star wars 40$ sets since 2017 and is only beaten by 20th anniversary snowspeeder which is out for 2 and a half years and it is a must have set to collect all 20th anniversary figures. Other than battle packs only recent sets with similar owned by numbers are razor crest, trouble on tatooine, boba fetts helmet and Obi Wans Hutt and you have to admit those sets are very popular and selling extremely well, but unlike AAT you only need 1 of those sets while most people i talked to got way more than 1 AAT. 
Bricklink - People on bricklink bought around 4000 Ahsokas clones in last 6 months and there are 2200 for sale rn. These are huge numbers man considering they only came in AAT and you only got 1. Only figures that comes close to those numbers are arm printing mando and absolutely insane numbers on 501st troopers (20 thousand sold in past 6 months, but when we divide that by 3 you get similar number to arm printing mando and Ahsokas clone in terms of sets bought to make those sales).
Amazon - AAT was top 4 building toys between august and christmas 2020 on amazon and even held an amazing spot of toys in general. AAT currently has 4 thousand ratings on Amazon and it needs 80 ratings to beat 501st set which you admited sold greatly.
Ahsoka and army building - Ahsoka is one of the most popular star wars characters after being in rebels, cw, cw movie and the mandalorian, her only non animated face figure was between 120-200$ on bricklink and ton of people bought the set just for her and ton of people mass bought it for army building and for the clone which makes amazon ratings and bricket owned by numbers even more insane.
3. yes there are ton of trolls in community, but he was indicating that trolls got gunship to win the vote which is not true and imo he is just being salty nebulon didn't win
4. well you don't have a proof i am wrong, my logic is coming from the power of MandR and other youtubers pushing for gunship vote and ton of younger prequel only fans jumping on the hype train of their first prequel ucs set. I am just guessing the number but if only 1/4th of the people that watched MandR's video voted it's pretty much around 90% like i said and us getting jar-jar brickhead pick just enforces this argument. 
5. Yeah, that's what i meant most of the online presence are prequel fans. In general it's probably most ot fans or fans of everything star wars that don't watch youtube or use this forum and just go in and buy what they wan.
6. Yeah you beat us in sales, but we didn't have a single chance in 11 years to prove that prequel fans have buying power too and i think most of us have it now. And considering you guys got almost every vehicle and every obscure character would it really be that crazy to expect (if this set sells well) that LEGO stops making OT ucs sets and starts taking more risks and then we get ucs razor crest, ucs sequel sets, ucs prequel sets instead of OT for next 11 years too.
"Rebellions are built on hope."

22 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

[…] and us getting jar-jar brickhead pick just enforces this argument. 

If you‘re referring to that „leak“, that was just a prank :wink: Or has that really been confirmed somewhere?

People need to realise that voting for a thing online is not the same thing as actually buying said thing. No offense, as ridiculous as the 90% claim is, even if that was the case, it wouldn’t guarantee great sales figures. Just look at the Bionicle Ideas project: it got the initial votes, but fell through the Bricklink Designer Program due to a lack of support. 

Some people really just show up for the memes and nothing else :shrug_oh_well:

36 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

... trends indicate that when kids grow up and start to spend money the things they grew up with influence their purchasing patterns (Ex. Me with CW and every Ahsoka and Rex minifig).

This is a valid point, and I think the gunship could be a good litmus test for this. Assuming that kids were between 8 and 13 when the first season of TCW came out, that would put them between 21 and 26 today, which is about the time when people start to have some income to spend on these things (I fall squarely into this bracket, and I imagine a few others do here as well). Arguably the better test would be to have something around the $200 mark, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

There's also a bit of a blurred line between prequel and TCW preferences. I definitely lean more toward the prequel era as a whole, but whenever we discuss this prequels vs OT question I feel like it mainly concerns more CIS/Grand Army sets (that certainly seems to be what certain vocal minorities on the internet want, in any case).

That hint about something being orange still mystifies me. Sounds like something is miscoloured, but no idea what it could be.

• It can‘t be the general colour scheme because no on-screen version of the gunship has that colour. Granted, we‘ve had plenty of weirdly-coloured vehicles before, but making a mistake this severely after almost 20 years would be supremely silly :tongue:
  • It can‘t be noseart because the set has to be based on AOTC
  • The clone having orange markings would be weird too for the same reason
  • Maybe the jedi minifig (if it isn‘t Windu) is somehow orange? Orange robes? An orange lightsaber? :laugh_hard:
  • Or maybe the gunship has stickers all over it to represent the Geonosian dust, similar to how the rust effect of last year’s Ecto-1 set was done. 

12 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I take back the word "trolls". I think we should all step back and accept we don't have any numbers. What may be pushed up here or on instagram will also not be representive of the market. So quote Socrates, I only know that I know nothing.

But if you are interested it would be an interesting project to start bigger surveys on all the platforms - including youtube, reddit, IG, Eurobricks, brickset and wherever.

17 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That hint about something being orange still mystifies me. Sounds like something is miscoloured, but no idea what it could be.

• It can‘t be the general colour scheme because no on-screen version of the gunship has that colour. Granted, we‘ve had plenty of weirdly-coloured vehicles before, but making a mistake this severely after almost 20 years would be supremely silly :tongue:
  • It can‘t be noseart because the set has to be based on AOTC
  • The clone having orange markings would be weird too for the same reason
  • Maybe the jedi minifig (if it isn‘t Windu) is somehow orange? Orange robes? An orange lightsaber? :laugh_hard:
  • Or maybe the gunship has stickers all over it to represent the Geonosian dust, similar to how the rust effect of last year’s Ecto-1 set was done. 

Maybe they put in the first ever Lego orange piece. Or a real orange.

20 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Maybe they put in the first ever Lego orange piece. Or a real orange.

Got it, the gunship now delivers produce to grocery stores all over the galaxy. Or maybe it can be turned into a drone to transport oranges in real life :grin:

7 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Correct. V-19, Venator, AT-OT/Dropship and the 2011 AC.

Didn't it also come in the Republic Attack Shuttle in the CW Clone Pilot variant? 

Not sure about the orange bit, could it be someone just wants to have a little fun with us? 

Only speaking for myself, I plan to pick up 3 gunships over the time. Not right away but eventually 3 total. Big fan of the vehicle and I am confident LEGO can pull it off. 

Given the T2 camper van was revealed today and the little hint from Fulcrum, I hope the gunship is the next reveal from TLG!

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Are you a leaker? No offense, I just can't keep track. 

Nope. 

Last riddle: It's not your typical rank and file. 

2 minutes ago, joebiwankenobi said:

Nope. 

Last riddle: It's not your typical rank and file. 

Lemme guess: a sergeant with orange instead of olive green markings? Well, that would explain that Jyn Erso hint :tongue:

Apparently a "yellow clone" per MandR tweets, which supports the deviation from the red clone mentioned in this thread. Not clear if this is a commander or a pilot...

Tweet also mentions a Thursday reveal with an 8/1 release. Make of that what you will

Edited by McMurder_them_softly