MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I really want to like the Imperial Light Cruiser more. I think I will get it when it's on offer and mod it. First of all I think it looks more like an Arquitens (from Rebels) than a Class 546 (Gideon's). To me the biggest issue is that the bridge looks way too oversized. I get that they wanted it to be able to use it as a handle, but the tower below it should have been 2 or 3 wide with plates on the outside I think. There's already a build video up on YouTube. If you removed the technic superstructure it should be possible to downsize the tower and bridge, and then maybe add a handle like on 75190.

Also the gap in the nose wedge should definitely be smaller. I understand that was done for the TIE launch feature but I'm happy to remove that. I'm happy to give that a pass because the launch tube is weird in universe - how does a Lambda shuttle fit through a gap that's narrow for a tie..

In terms of the interior, the front could do with more details to cover up some of the technic but I think its fine for the set. You can probably get a figure lying fown in the triangular sections behind the side docking bays so maybe LEGO could have included a dark trooper dropping feature like 76130. If you were to keep the bridge the same size, but remove the technic infrastructure (as it doesn't look like it provides lateral stability. only for swooshing), you would have a 4 wide space, maybe make a cell for Grogu?

I feel like LEGO could have made a few changes for accuracy or more functions and they sort of went with neither.

Name discussion aside, I'm surprised at how small 75312 is compared to previous versions. It seems like a much larger compromise than the X-Wing, TIE fighter, or Imperial Shuttle have been compared to their previous sets. Glad I got the 2019 model, but might Bricklink the new Boba design.

18 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

On another note I think Lego decision making regarding Lego Con and set reveals shows they don't quite understand who their fan base is. The people who are diehard lego fans who will take 2 hrs to watch the Con don't want to watch fast interviews and the Lego version of Dora the Explorer. I know the Lego is still a kid's toy but its consumers in 2021 are not. The fact that they don't understand that coupled with the fact they don't seem to want to listen to fan demand (prequel UCS, CW sets, clones etc.) is really disheartening. 

I think you're severely overestimating Lego's adult demographic.  AFOLs as a subset is definitely larger than it has been in the past, but every time you go into a Lego store or are in the Lego aisle at your local retailer, I can promise you there are more kids shopping for sets than adults in probably 99% of cases (or at the very least, if it's young kids, it's clearly a situation where their parent is buying it for them, not for themselves).  I have no idea what their actual breakdown of sales in terms of AFOLs vs. KFOLs is (and I think it'd be nearly impossible to really gauge, because adults probably do most of the actual purchasing of Lego regardless of whether it's for them or purchasing it for a kid) but I would be extremely surprised if AFOLs made up a segment of their market larger than 15-20%.  Being a multi-billion dollar company, I'd be confident that their market research team is very good at what they do in terms of determining which types of customers to target and who their fanbase is. 

Plus, I think they've done a lot in terms of prequel stuff the past couple of years.  Last year we had three TCW/prequel sets, one of which contained the first Ahsoka figure in a while (plus an exclusive 332nd trooper), another of which was entirely fan demand-driven.  We've also got a prequel UCS coming that was done by a fan vote, as well as two more TCW sets including Bo-Katan, who was probably one of the most requested TCW figures, and we're getting the Bad Batch set, which I feel is pretty closely related to TCW.  The wave being Mandalorian-focused, to me, isn't terribly surprising, because that's probably the hottest SW property right now, and it makes sense to capitalize on that now.  

In regards to the new set reveals, I can definitely cross off Boba's ship from my want-list, as it looks almost identical in size to the Cloud City version.  It's a nice model, but there's no reason for me to spend $50 when basically the only difference is the figures, cargo sled, and the space for a carbonite block.  The Marauder looks pretty nice and I love how many figures it can fit.  I might get it if the price were to drop closer to $30 at some point. 

Beyond that, I'm excited for the Mandalorian Forge reveal, if nothing else just to see the minifigures.

2 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

I really want to like the Imperial Light Cruiser more. I think I will get it when it's on offer and mod it. First of all I think it looks more like an Arquitens (from Rebels) than a Class 546 (Gideon's). To me the biggest issue is that the bridge looks way too oversized. I get that they wanted it to be able to use it as a handle, but the tower below it should have been 2 or 3 wide with plates on the outside I think. There's already a build video up on YouTube. If you removed the technic superstructure it should be possible to downsize the tower and bridge, and then maybe add a handle like on 75190.

Also the gap in the nose wedge should definitely be smaller. I understand that was done for the TIE launch feature but I'm happy to remove that. I'm happy to give that a pass because the launch tube is weird in universe - how does a Lambda shuttle fit through a gap that's narrow for a tie..

In terms of the interior, the front could do with more details to cover up some of the technic but I think its fine for the set. You can probably get a figure lying fown in the triangular sections behind the side docking bays so maybe LEGO could have included a dark trooper dropping feature like 76130. If you were to keep the bridge the same size, but remove the technic infrastructure (as it doesn't look like it provides lateral stability. only for swooshing), you would have a 4 wide space, maybe make a cell for Grogu?

I feel like LEGO could have made a few changes for accuracy or more functions and they sort of went with neither.

I'm also left feeling a bit cold by the cruiser, I was expecting to like it more after the first pic we saw. Part of me wonders if the designers only got limited reference of the ship from the show and filled in gaps with the Arquitens, as it is something of a hybrid.

Just watched David's review of the Marauder. I think it looks fantastic and the renders sold it short. 

I wasn't overly stoked about getting ANOTHER Slave 1 but man this smaller model just looks so dang nice. I'm loving all of these sets especially the minifigure lineup seems absolutely insane, best ones in recent memory and we aren't even finished with the year.

13 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

UCS Gunship, Duel on Mandalore, and Mandalorian Starfighter: “Are we a joke to you?” :tongue:

I think some of the Slave One arguments are a bit far-fetched. The name change being the result of marketing decisions (easier to google) is a good enough explanation already :grin: 

disney asked them to remove the word from the set, so it definately is to censor it.

10 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Sets look nice in HD that’s for sure. The Marauder is a nice surprise!! Slave One is solid. Not sure I like the Cruiser however! For £150 looks a bit empty…idk? 

Definately buying slave one, I'm going to start a slave one/boba collection. I've been meaning too for awhile, but never had the funds. The cruiser is a nice playset for kids, personally I'm not a huge fan of the look, and I think a second dark trooper would have been nice.

11 hours ago, V-2929 said:

Ah man, I'm going to risk going off topic here. Slave is a loaded term. It carries a lot of weight, and the extent of that weight will vary from person to person who hears it used. It's a term of racial oppression. Across North America and Europe companies (I can't speak for other parts of the world) companies are trawling through code to rename processes and remove references to slave systems and master systems in recognition of the burden the word carries, what it represents and what it may mean to people. We're still not that far from the abolition of slavery, the impacts of it are still felt throughout the world, and these companies, including Lego, have black and other POC employees who won't have to look too many generations back to find family members who were slaves. In a society striving to do better, removing the word slave from the lexicon is a simple step and one that should happen

As other people have said, the name of the ship is barely mentioned in the movies and cartoons. Lego haven't renamed the ship; they've just, possibly for a variety of reasons, chosen to not use that name for this kit. That may continue in the future, and if it does it's a sign of progress. You want Lego, both for kids and AFOLs, to be an inclusive community you're going to have to stop using terms like slave. If you don't want it to be an inclusive community, then you're running counter to Lego's own stated aims

Alright, so, at that same risk of going off-topic. It's a word, one that represents something terrible. Other words representing terrible things: War, bomber, death, etc. If we're going to get rid of any discussion or concept of the word slavery, that means cancelling TPM, at least part of AOTC, many episodes of clone wars, certain episodes of rebels, a good fourth of jedi:fallen order, etc. Removing a word from the lexicon is literally (not an exaggeration, I mean this in the literal sense, it happens in the book) something out of 1984. Slavery in star wars has always been shown as a bad thing, done by the bad guys, and the heroes fight to stop it. That's how the topic should be treated, not by acting like it's not a concept that has existed since civilization. Will we never get another roman soldier in a CMF, because they enslaved anyone who wasn't a roman citizen? What about Watto? He owned slaves, can we no longer get watto figures? Child anakin was a slave, will he stop getting figures?

TLDR: Removing the word slave from a franchise that has slavery as a part of much of the lore, and always accurately depicts how bad it is and shows the heroes trying to stop it, is backwards and 1984-like censorship. If we go down this path, 10-15 years from now there'll be "content warnings" in front of TPM and parts of clone wars on disney+. If I sound paranoid, just know I used to joke about disney getting rid of slave one back when they got rid of slave leia.

10 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

1984 called, it wants it's censorship back.

Slavery is a part of history, an ugly part to be sure, and one that has crossed every boundary, be it ethnic, racial, or regional. Censoring a word does nothing but bury the past. In a society striving to do better, we do better to learn from the mistakes of the past, so as not to repeat them.

And every culture has been subject to oppression. Every single one of them. It's not a North American creation. But in the end, Star Wars has multiple references to slavery, and the harm it causes (Anakin being the principle example, but there are entire factions of slavers in Star Wars, like the Zygeerians).

Yes, exactly! Censoring words and removing history always leads down a dark road.

9 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

You laugh now, but just wait a couple years when TPM is removed from disney+, and the death star's construction is changed in canon to have been done by "willing geonosian and wookie volunteers"

Oh, and stormtroopers share their name with nazi troops. Do we have to start calling them imperial armored forces now?

Edited by Mandalorianknight

@Mandalorianknight

I dunno, but it's almost like people here don't read the preceding posts before they reply. Especially the posts from the mods that say, as explicitly as humanly possible, "drop it", "move on", "stop trying to get the last word".

Do you guys reckon the Dark Trooper will reappear in a battlepack like how the Death Trooper, Praetorian Guard and Sith Trooper were all introduced in a large/expensive set and later popped up again in a BP? Absolutely adore the figure.

I hope so. It would be a waste for a great helmet mold to remain exclusive to one set, especially on a figure that was seen in mass numbers and will probably be featured more in Star Wars canon. 

10 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Do you guys reckon the Dark Trooper will reappear in a battlepack like how the Death Trooper, Praetorian Guard and Sith Trooper were all introduced in a large/expensive set and later popped up again in a BP? Absolutely adore the figure.

I sure hope so :laugh: And by only including one in the Cruiser they made sure a BP would sell like hotcakes :grin: The only thing I’m not sure about is what they else they’d include. Maybe an officer/Stormie plus a weapon stand or a made-up speeder of sorts

37 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I sure hope so :laugh: And by only including one in the Cruiser they made sure a BP would sell like hotcakes :grin: The only thing I’m not sure about is what they else they’d include. Maybe an officer/Stormie plus a weapon stand or a made-up speeder of sorts

the carrier bay they were in in the show would make an excellent build you could click into the cruiser fairly easily with enough work

15 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

UCS Gunship, Duel on Mandalore, and Mandalorian Starfighter: “Are we a joke to you?” :tongue:

That's the first UCS prequel set in over 10 years and we forced Lego to make it with a fan vote. Also it looks like the figures were getting in that set aren't the ones that were voted for. I don't care about cody but not getting a pilot is really disappointing and proves further Lego doesn't listen to the fans. 

The two new CW sets have come more than a year after the last CW episode aired and one of them is probably the worst duel set ever (I'd only get it to put Mando on the throne if that). 

So in short the failure of Lego Con is just a result of pattern from lego in regards to their most popular theme and its fans. 

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think you're severely overestimating Lego's adult demographic.  AFOLs as a subset is definitely larger than it has been in the past, but every time you go into a Lego store or are in the Lego aisle at your local retailer, I can promise you there are more kids shopping for sets than adults in probably 99% of cases (or at the very least, if it's young kids, it's clearly a situation where their parent is buying it for them, not for themselves).  I have no idea what their actual breakdown of sales in terms of AFOLs vs. KFOLs is (and I think it'd be nearly impossible to really gauge, because adults probably do most of the actual purchasing of Lego regardless of whether it's for them or purchasing it for a kid) but I would be extremely surprised if AFOLs made up a segment of their market larger than 15-20%.  Being a multi-billion dollar company, I'd be confident that their market research team is very good at what they do in terms of determining which types of customers to target and who their fanbase is. 

Plus, I think they've done a lot in terms of prequel stuff the past couple of years.  Last year we had three TCW/prequel sets, one of which contained the first Ahsoka figure in a while (plus an exclusive 332nd trooper), another of which was entirely fan demand-driven.  We've also got a prequel UCS coming that was done by a fan vote, as well as two more TCW sets including Bo-Katan, who was probably one of the most requested TCW figures, and we're getting the Bad Batch set, which I feel is pretty closely related to TCW.  The wave being Mandalorian-focused, to me, isn't terribly surprising, because that's probably the hottest SW property right now, and it makes sense to capitalize on that now.  

I don't think I'm over estimating the # of AFOLs as of late as Lego themselves that adult fans are purchasing a large number of their sets.

Source: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-isnt-just-for-kids-more-sales-than-ever-go-to-adults/

Also, when I said Lego I really meant Lego SW not Lego in general because yes some themes like city are primarily for kids but themes like SW that sell sets for $350,$700,$800 sets are made for adults. I don't know if I'm the odd one out but my parents would never have spend anything more than 100-150 dollars on a toy so I'm pretty sure they know that the AFOL's are growing by the day. I'm pretty sure Lego asks on their website who you're purchasing for when you sign up for VIP and so they have the data on whose buying what and for who. 

My point of prequel stuff is that it shouldn't take a fan vote or a fan movement to make something that is obvisouly popular. I couldn't find CW sets in stores last August and had to wait till October to get a 501st BP. Also the young kids like myself who grew up with the CW are now entering the 18-30 age group where they can buy freely and so capitalizing on the CW popularity would be smart instead of making YET ANOTHER Luke's land-speeder and X-Wing.

53 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

That's the first UCS prequel set in over 10 years and we forced Lego to make it with a fan vote. Also it looks like the figures were getting in that set aren't the ones that were voted for.

I don't think TLG was forced to do anything. They themselves offered the Gunship as a choice in the poll - it wasn't like the options were Landspeeder, Snowspeeder and X-Wing and everyone had to put down Gunship as a write in vote.

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

That's the first UCS prequel set in over 10 years and we forced Lego to make it with a fan vote. Also it looks like the figures were getting in that set aren't the ones that were voted for. I don't care about cody but not getting a pilot is really disappointing and proves further Lego doesn't listen to the fans. 

If, and I stress IF the minifigure lineup is true, then I agree, a pilot is essential to the craft, even if it's mostly a display model (not that we aren't gonna load it up with troops anyway :wink:).

I still say Pilot, Yoda, and Private was the most ideal lineup, with Pilot, Windu, and Ponds a close second (even though we're getting Deviss instead, and no pilot. reportedly)

Btw, for those confused, the Clone Commander seen with Windu in AOTC is canonically Commander Ponds, and Clone Captain Deviss was one of the red captains in said movie.

12 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

I don't get this, we are told by SW Lego design director at Lego that this is the case, and you want to refute it and go on about conjecture! With a preference to believe a theory someone has posted on these forums because it fits with what you'd like to believe rather than the reality.

So now I am left with a question over whether we will get any new Jedi Masters and any sets based on TPM Anakin when he was a slave. Disney have already banned slave Leia, and even Carrie Fisher wasn't a fan of that decision.

His argument was valid. One article does not make it irrefutable fact. And the wording was vague. Now please get back on target.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Alright, so, at that same risk of going off-topic. It's a word, one that represents something terrible. Other words representing terrible things: War, bomber, death, etc. If we're going to get rid of any discussion or concept of the word slavery, that means cancelling TPM, at least part of AOTC, many episodes of clone wars, certain episodes of rebels, a good fourth of jedi:fallen order, etc. Removing a word from the lexicon is literally (not an exaggeration, I mean this in the literal sense, it happens in the book) something out of 1984. Slavery in star wars has always been shown as a bad thing, done by the bad guys, and the heroes fight to stop it. That's how the topic should be treated, not by acting like it's not a concept that has existed since civilization. Will we never get another roman soldier in a CMF, because they enslaved anyone who wasn't a roman citizen? What about Watto? He owned slaves, can we no longer get watto figures? Child anakin was a slave, will he stop getting figures?

TLDR: Removing the word slave from a franchise that has slavery as a part of much of the lore, and always accurately depicts how bad it is and shows the heroes trying to stop it, is backwards and 1984-like censorship. If we go down this path, 10-15 years from now there'll be "content warnings" in front of TPM and parts of clone wars on disney+. If I sound paranoid, just know I used to joke about disney getting rid of slave one back when they got rid of slave leia.

Yes, exactly! Censoring words and removing history always leads down a dark road.

One moderator telling you to re-direct the conversation back on topic is a warning. Two telling you to get back on target should be a big red flag.

Now I'm going to give the final word on the matter for the time being. 1984 censorship is bad. But we have no hard proof that Disney is actually trying to censor the word "Slave." They may be, but we don't know. I'll tell you what I do know. I have a 3 year old boy who plays with my Slave I (50th anniversary edition). Just today I told him to get Boba Fett's ship. Not because I was censoring the name "Slave I," but because that's what he calls the ship. Lego and Disney are companies geared towards kids. It could just be that they are trying to catering to their main audience.

There are other opinions on this matter. But most if not all of them have already been shared in the past 3 pages. That's enough content on this subject unless something new comes out from Lego or Disney. Ignore me at your own risk.

A couple of thoughts on the Star Wars portion of LEGO CON:

1. I was underwhelmed by the set reveals, but not surprised. I'm guessing a decent chunk of people watching weren't aware of the Mandalorian set leaks and were excited/happy with the reveals.

2. That said, I think LEGO missed a perfect opportunity to reveal the UCS Gunship. Between the hype for the inaugural LEGO CON and the statement that the Gunship would be revealed mid-summer, why not do it now? The hype train was steam-rolling into the station for the Gunship, and LEGO diverted it to a few sets that are decent but likely lack the same wow-factor the Gunship would have had. Maybe it'll be a later reveal than we thought, like September?

14 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

One moderator telling you to re-direct the conversation back on topic is a warning. Two telling you to get back on target should be a big red flag.

Sorry, I did not see the other moderator things as I only skimmed the last few pages, and I didn't see anything with your icon or cloneopatra's icon. Is there a way to filter for moderator posts?

29 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

If, and I stress IF the minifigure lineup is true, then I agree, a pilot is essential to the craft, even if it's mostly a display model (not that we aren't gonna load it up with troops anyway :wink:).

I still say Pilot, Yoda, and Private was the most ideal lineup, with Pilot, Windu, and Ponds a close second (even though we're getting Deviss instead, and no pilot. reportedly)

Btw, for those confused, the Clone Commander seen with Windu in AOTC is canonically Commander Ponds, and Clone Captain Deviss was one of the red captains in said movie.

Yeah, given how long it's been since that rumored lineup was reported and nothing else has happened I'm kind of skeptical of it. Especially since a clone pilot and gunner or pilot and yoda tracks a lot more with their other lineups. I can't think of any examples where a UCS set has figures but no pilot. (Maybe the delta-7, but that's an old set and the astromech is kinda a pilot)

1 hour ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I don't think TLG was forced to do anything. They themselves offered the Gunship as a choice in the poll - it wasn't like the options were Landspeeder, Snowspeeder and X-Wing and everyone had to put down Gunship as a write in vote.

Yeah, and given the past couple summer waves I don't think there's much evidence for lego not wanting to make sets for the prequel era.

4 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Here's my prediction right now: one that's somehow missing some part of it in an Imperial remnant battlepack in winter 2022, then included in advent calendar 2022.

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

@Mandalorianknight

I dunno, but it's almost like people here don't read the preceding posts before they reply. Especially the posts from the mods that say, as explicitly as humanly possible, "drop it", "move on", "stop trying to get the last word".

When there are 3 pages of it, yes, I don't read every preceding post.

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I don't think I'm over estimating the # of AFOLs as of late as Lego themselves that adult fans are purchasing a large number of their sets.

Source: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-isnt-just-for-kids-more-sales-than-ever-go-to-adults/

Also, when I said Lego I really meant Lego SW not Lego in general because yes some themes like city are primarily for kids but themes like SW that sell sets for $350,$700,$800 sets are made for adults. I don't know if I'm the odd one out but my parents would never have spend anything more than 100-150 dollars on a toy so I'm pretty sure they know that the AFOL's are growing by the day. I'm pretty sure Lego asks on their website who you're purchasing for when you sign up for VIP and so they have the data on whose buying what and for who. 

My point of prequel stuff is that it shouldn't take a fan vote or a fan movement to make something that is obvisouly popular. I couldn't find CW sets in stores last August and had to wait till October to get a 501st BP. Also the young kids like myself who grew up with the CW are now entering the 18-30 age group where they can buy freely and so capitalizing on the CW popularity would be smart instead of making YET ANOTHER Luke's land-speeder and X-Wing.

A large number, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a majority.  AFOLs are unquestionably a larger market than they were fifteen, ten, or even five years ago, but that increase could very well be from 4% to 16%.  Until they decide to put out exact numbers (likely never), we can't know for sure.

I agree completely that certain themes, such as SW, Technic, Marvel, or Creator are more likely to have a greater portion of sales go to adults as compared to, say City, Ninjago, Friends, or whatever else, for various reasons (either complexity of the model, the general target audience of the set, or the property being depicted).  You cited SW having UCS sets, but those are a small portion of their offering at once.  There's typically two, maybe three sets that are $250+ on shelves at once, and those are ONLY at Lego stores and, from what I gather, are produced in smaller quantities by quite a bit (I remember an interview with a designer talking about costs in large sets versus, say, a $30 set and they mentioned a huge disparity in quantity of sets produced, I don't know where to find this, though, sorry). 

And yes, they do have ways of finding that data, but you have to remember that they only get that specific data when they sell sets on their website.  In store, if the person isn't a VIP, they wouldn't have the data on who the set is for, and at stores like Target/Walmart/whatever else, they also don't get that data.  They may be able to tell who is doing the purchasing, but whether or not the stores share that data is one matter, and again, regardless of who the set is for, it's very likely going to be an adult doing the actual purchasing.  This is conjecture, but I would gather that the majority of their sets worldwide are sold through big-box retailers or non-Lego brand stores/sites, due to either convenience or, often, stores having sales/better deals than Lego.  Even still, like I said, I would have a lot of faith in their market research department being very highly capable and understanding who their consumers are.

In regards to your point about the X-Wing/Landspeeder, those who are AFOLs may feel that way, but you have to look at the big picture.  I've been a LSW fan for 15+ years now, and in that time, not counting UCS/microscale sets, I think I've seen 6 or more X-Wings and about 4 Landspeeders that were released outside of the Cantina.  So, essentially every 1.5 years, there's been a new version of one of these sets.  To someone that's been around a while, that might seem redundant and like a lot, especially when I already have a Landspeeder.  I'm not buying the new one, so why do they keep releasing it? 

But, you have to remember, not every customer/buyer of Lego is going to stick around that long.  If a 7 year old gets into Lego, they haven't had a chance to buy the previous X-Wing, so then when they release one, the kid gets it, plays with it for a few years, and stops being interested in Lego around age 11/12.  Heck, even if the person does stick with Lego for a very long time, it still makes a lot of sense for Lego as a company to keep sets like the X-Wing, the Millenium Falcon, or a Snowspeeder on shelves, because they're pretty popular regardless of age, they contain main characters, and people are always going to want them.  If they waited 5 years to put out a new X-Wing, they'd lose out on a lot of potential customers of it in that time period.

And one more thing, to your point about the 501st set, I think that's more indicative of the demand for it rather than Lego.  A lot of people were hoarding those, plus the supply chain of a lot of goods was backed up due to COVID, I don't think that was really a Lego-specific issue.

troypizza.jpg

Alright, on the subject of lego con, although I didn’t watch, I think it’s fair to say that based on reactions Lego misjudged the audience for it. Although I understand that lego is for kids, and have no problem with getting several Luke’s land speeders, I think it’s fair to say kids probably wouldn’t know or care about it. When I was a kid, I didn’t know about a set till it was on the shelves, and I know the leak community was around then.

17 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

troypizza.jpg

Alright, on the subject of lego con, although I didn’t watch, I think it’s fair to say that based on reactions Lego misjudged the audience for it. Although I understand that lego is for kids, and have no problem with getting several Luke’s land speeders, I think it’s fair to say kids probably wouldn’t know or care about it. When I was a kid, I didn’t know about a set till it was on the shelves, and I know the leak community was around then.

The weirdest part was that it sometimes did seem geared towards afols, and then 5 seconds later it's like an episode of a preschool cartoon or something. 

I remember when I was a kid I always went to target with my mom when she got groceries so I could look in the lego aisle for new sets, and I had this fabric wallet that never had more than $20 in it (back when that was enough for a mid-range set and the $50 sets were what goes for $80 now). Weird tangent aside, I never would have known about lego con, especially since they only announced it around a month before it happened. If you advertise it primarily on social media, your demographic is going to be teens and afols. 

Since the argument has shifted from slave one to the constant norm of "you fool! Lego is actually for *demographic*", I'll wade back in. Legos are primarily for kids, and the system sets are made mainly with kids in mind. Clearly, based on the fact that (I'm guessing) everyone here is either in their late teens or an adult, it's not uncommon for adults to get them, but we don't make up more than, I'd guess, 5-10% (and that's being generous) of the sales for system sets. It's not weird for an adult to get the new slave one or the cruiser or bo-katan's gauntlet, but we aren't the people the designers are thinking of when they make them. Which makes the whole legocon thing even weirder. I think the best bet for that concept is for them to do a physical convention with some panels meant for afols and some meant for kids (obviously a kid could show up to the afol ones and vice versa, I just mean they'd make clear the intended demographic of each panel.)

Edited by Mandalorianknight

50 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Sorry, I did not see the other moderator things as I only skimmed the last few pages, and I didn't see anything with your icon or cloneopatra's icon. Is there a way to filter for moderator posts?

Brickdoctor is a Moderator too, and the one who posted first. If you're on mobile, anyone whose name is displayed in bold red is a Moderator. If on a desktop, it's more obvious because their rank displays.

I didn't watch LEGO Con, but it seems like AFOLs set themselves up for disappointment putting too many eggs in the Gunship basket. As far as LEGO is concerned, the Mandalorian sets weren't previously revealed (since the catalogue reveal was a mistake), and the Mandalorian show is a huge deal in the zeitgeist right now, so it makes sense they'd reveal a big Mandalorian set from the climax of Season 2. How they advertised LEGO Con and why they did or didn't target certain demographics is another matter. But kids are online more than ever, so I wouldn't say that only teens and adults would've known about this.

I get that some of you are disappointed that this set or that set didn't debut at LEGO CON, and that perhaps the content was a bit scattershot and surface-level, but I think it's worth pointing out that this was the first event of its kind that LEGO has undertaken, and they did so in the shadow of a global pandemic which (in the EU, at least) is still very much a concern. I am inclined to believe that if LEGO had been putting this event together in a COVID-free world, it would likely be longer, with proper panel discussions and interviews, segments geared to each of the major lines/themes, audience participation, building challenges, etc. There is clearly much more that LEGO could do in the right circumstances. 

If you would like to see a more robust LEGO CON in the future, you might try phrasing your feedback as ideas of how LEGO could improve and expand upon what they did this year, rather than griping about how horrible you thought this first attempt was, or how much it "missed the mark" or whatever. If all LEGO reads about the days after this event is how much people hated it, they're not very likely to invest more in it the next go-round (if they even attempt another go-round). But tell them you love the idea but want to see more out of it, and perhaps they will give you what you want a year from now.

That Marauder looks amazing! I didn't think it would hold that many figures (5 at most) and it will be a fine addition to my collection since I dont have any transports