MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Not going to get too political but what a world we live in if slave is being removed. Nonsense. I’m part of the younger generation on here too. 

Sets look nice in HD that’s for sure. The Marauder is a nice surprise!! Slave One is solid. Not sure I like the Cruiser however! For £150 looks a bit empty…idk? 

58 minutes ago, V-2929 said:

Ah man, I'm going to risk going off topic here. Slave is a loaded term. It carries a lot of weight, and the extent of that weight will vary from person to person who hears it used. It's a term of racial oppression. Across North America and Europe companies (I can't speak for other parts of the world) companies are trawling through code to rename processes and remove references to slave systems and master systems in recognition of the burden the word carries, what it represents and what it may mean to people. We're still not that far from the abolition of slavery, the impacts of it are still felt throughout the world, and these companies, including Lego, have black and other POC employees who won't have to look too many generations back to find family members who were slaves. In a society striving to do better, removing the word slave from the lexicon is a simple step and one that should happen.

1984 called, it wants it's censorship back.

Slavery is a part of history, an ugly part to be sure, and one that has crossed every boundary, be it ethnic, racial, or regional. Censoring a word does nothing but bury the past. In a society striving to do better, we do better to learn from the mistakes of the past, so as not to repeat them.

And every culture has been subject to oppression. Every single one of them. It's not a North American creation. But in the end, Star Wars has multiple references to slavery, and the harm it causes (Anakin being the principle example, but there are entire factions of slavers in Star Wars, like the Zygeerians).

@V-2929 “Slave” may be a loaded term to some, but most people around the world are mature enough to separate reality from fiction and realise that it’s just a name. If you’re looking at a toy on a shelf and thinking something along the lines of “this toy reminds me of my oppressed ancestors” then I don’t know what to say to you other than that isn’t how normal people think.

1 hour ago, V-2929 said:

We're still not that far from the abolition of slavery, the impacts of it are still felt throughout the world, and these companies, including Lego, have black and other POC employees who won't have to look too many generations back to find family members who were slaves. In a society striving to do better, removing the word slave from the lexicon is a simple step and one that should happen

These two points in particular show a lot of ignorance to the situation. In response to your first point, slavery isn’t an issue that only affected POC, there were/are plenty of white slaves all around the world. And to your second point, if we can’t use the word “slave” then how else are you going to refer to someone who is or was enslaved? You can’t ignore history and you can’t ignore words because you don’t like them. I don’t like the word “megablock” but people use it and I have to live with it. 

And while we’re at it, the topic of slavery isn’t uniquely American or race driven for that matter considering that there are over 40 million people trapped in slavery today - most of whom are women and children.

So to bring this back “on topic”, if this thread can ever be on topic, there is good reason to be opposed to the name change. The name “Slave I” is as much a part of Star Wars as “Millennium Falcon” or “Razor Crest” and has been for the last 40 years. I would be just as mad if they said “the term X-Wing reminds people of their abusive ex partners and will henceforth be known as simply Rebel Starfighter”, because it’s just a name of a fictional spacecraft and is no reflection of the world we live in, its people and their history. To me this is just another entry to the long list of things Disney has done to disrespect the original source material and I for one am sick of it.

Guys. Why is everyone acting like it’s a fact that the term “slave” is what led TLG to rename the set? There’s zero evidence for that :shrug_oh_well:

And don’t say, it’s because of “Slave Leia” being rebranded as “Huttslayer Leia” (which is more badass anyway :tongue:). Something tells me there may be another reason why Disney doesn’t want a chained-up woman being dressed in that outfit being referred to as a “slave”, if you catch my drift

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

At risk of being told off for mini-modding can we stop with discussion, of the name of the Indentured servitude uno set, it is just going around in circles. What they call the Slave one set doesn't matter as I pretty sure no-one here makes choices on what sets to buy based on names. 

The Trexler, is looking better and better to me, the UK price is better than expected and from watching a youtube build it looks a lot better than in the boxart images. Plus it comes with those decorated boxes form the UCS cantina.

Edited by Agent Kallus

36 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Something tells me there may be another reason why Disney doesn’t want a chained-up woman being dressed in that outfit being referred to as a “slave”, if you catch my drift

Yes, exactly!

To lend credence to the fact that TLG is naming things more in a six degrees from Kevin Bacon way where the set should have something immediately recognizable in the name, look at the name of the Fawkes set from the HP line. 0 potential for controversy if the set was just called "Fawkes" but it is called "Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix" they are definitely making attempts to put the recognizable character names into set names. 

56 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Guys. Why is everyone acting like it’s a fact that the term “slave” is what led TLG to rename the set? There’s zero evidence for that :shrug_oh_well:

And don’t say, it’s because of “Slave Leia” being rebranded as “Huttslayer Leia” (which is more badass anyway :tongue:). Something tells me there may be another reason why Disney doesn’t want a chained-up woman being dressed in that outfit being referred to as a “slave”, if you catch my drift

Evidence:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/disney-asked-designers-to-rename-the-new-lego-star-wars-slave-i/

Watching videos of the cruiser, and it's weird that Fennec has two facial expressions but no included hair piece. Looks like you can only see her eyes when she's wearing her - admittedly very well moulded - helmet. With no hair piece to use, anytime you want to show her facial expression the reverse head print will also be visible and she'll be bald!

@Graupensuppe I hope you don’t mind but I presented your list to a Disney executive for feedback. I am happy to report that they have decided to use your ideas! This is, of course, on the provision that you to update the name of the Gungan Sub to be more inclusive. They look forward to hearing back from you.

26 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

This 'evidence' only tells us that Disney asked for the name change. The whole slave thing is a storm in a teacup whipped up by conjecture, including in that very article. Personally I think @jdubbs suggestion of a name that's more Google-able is far more sensible.

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

UCS Gunship, Duel on Mandalore, and Mandalorian Starfighter: “Are we a joke to you?” :tongue:

I think some of the Slave One arguments are a bit far-fetched. The name change being the result of marketing decisions (easier to google) is a good enough explanation already :grin: 

And it's not even just about Star Wars, same for Marvel, they didn't call the new Benatar by its name but just the Guardians' Ship
People really need to chill about their insecurities.. I swear everyone just want a reason to be pissed at Disney 

21 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Watching videos of the cruiser, and it's weird that Fennec has two facial expressions but no included hair piece. Looks like you can only see her eyes when she's wearing her - admittedly very well moulded - helmet. With no hair piece to use, anytime you want to show her facial expression the reverse head print will also be visible and she'll be bald!

Which suggests to me that we'll see her her again in a future set, and this time with a hairpiece instead :laugh:

12 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

This 'evidence' only tells us that Disney asked for the name change. The whole slave thing is a storm in a teacup whipped up by conjecture, including in that very article. Personally I think @jdubbs suggestion of a name that's more Google-able is far more sensible.

I don't get this, we are told by SW Lego design director at Lego that this is the case, and you want to refute it and go on about conjecture! With a preference to believe a theory someone has posted on these forums because it fits with what you'd like to believe rather than the reality.

So now I am left with a question over whether we will get any new Jedi Masters and any sets based on TPM Anakin when he was a slave. Disney have already banned slave Leia, and even Carrie Fisher wasn't a fan of that decision.

The one thing I have to say about the S1 name change is that if it’s across the board, in some ways it’s even more insensitive to slavery then leaving it alone. According to lore, and I’m not sure if this is still canon but why wouldn’t it be, Jango named the ship that after he escaped a hard labor prison where he was a slave. The name of the ship is a matter of pride, of him striking back against the chains that bound him. Erasing that erases an important part of the Fett family’s history. But hey, since when does Disney care about lore? I do agree with most of the people on here that it’s probably a search optimization thing, and that it isn’t a big a deal as everyone’s making it out to be. Also an interesting take I saw was kids asking for it and their parents being weirded out, which I can attest to. When I told my mom I had the 20th Ann coming in the mail she got weirded out and I had to explain the lore to her. Most eight year olds don’t know said lore and probably would end up with their parents not getting them the ship. 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, hondohnaka said:

Off topic, but this point if they haven’t dropped pictures of the Mandalorian sets by Friday I’d be pleasantly surprised if the LegoCon reveal isn’t those. 

also HAH I was right 😑

23 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

I don't get this, we are told by SW Lego design director at Lego that this is the case, and you want to refute it and go on about conjecture! With a preference to believe a theory someone has posted on these forums because it fits with what you'd like to believe rather than the reality.

Is that in a different interview then? Because the one you linked said 'Disney don't want us to use the name'. Nothing on why. So it isn't a case of theory and 'reality', at least on the evidence that I've seen, it's a case of two different sets of, yes, conjecture.

I will point out as well that the Bad Batch had an episode about the Zygerian slavers, so Disney are hardly avoiding the topic.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Good gracious this argument is absurd.

Anyway, not very big on the sets. The Trexler looks awful, the Slave is good but doesn't look like a $60 set and I don't need it anyway. The Arquitens is okay, I guess, but I don't like play-scale capital ships so that's a pass. This is really shaping up to be a cheap year.

This is ridiculous, there are multiple pages of debate over something that just does not matter. So they don't want to use the word "slave" in a kids toy, big deal. People seem to be getting so personally offended over this, I mean someone is even comparing this insignificant corporate decision to Orwell's 1984. I feel like I'm losing brain cells just by skim reading the last few pages...

7 minutes ago, ood0 said:

This is ridiculous, there are multiple pages of debate over something that just does not matter. So they don't want to use the word "slave" in a kids toy, big deal. People seem to be getting so personally offended over this, I mean someone is even comparing this insignificant corporate decision to Orwell's 1984. I feel like I'm losing brain cells just by skim reading the last few pages...

Lol - some people are just triggered snowflakes. They'll continue to buy Lego and Star Wars. 

6 hours ago, V-2929 said:

Ah man, I'm going to risk going off topic here.

Please don't.

24 minutes ago, ood0 said:

This is ridiculous, there are multiple pages of debate over something that just does not matter.

Then don't contribute to the problem by continuing the debate.

15 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Lol - some people are just triggered snowflakes.

No need to call people names.

All, acknowledging that your post is off-topic does not excuse it. Regardless of your feelings on a subject, you don't have to have the last word. Please just leave it alone, or hit the "Report" button if you think it's particularly egregious. And while I'm thankful that the discussion has not yet reached this point, I'll remind you that topics related to politics are explicitly against our site guidelines.

43 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

593 parts for €49,99 is quite decent.

Oh, the PPP ratio is certainly very good for Star Wars. It's just more about the size. It's barely bigger than the one from BoCC and I thought that maybe looked like a $25 set

I've been reading/watching reviews on the Light Cruiser and none of the ones I've seen mention whether or not you can fit figures in the cruiser when closed. Does anyone know if you can or found a review that does show it?