MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

That's excessively harsh. I think it's been pretty fun. I honestly expected them to officially reveal the Mandalorian sets and I was happy to get a better look at them. I imagine it sucks if you were looking forward to the UCS gunship though.

I couldn't possibly care less about the UCS Gunship or any other UCS set for that matter, not my kind of set at all. And me being "excessively harsh" (which I disagree with) doesn't just come down to a disappointing Star Wars reveal but just the entire stream in general: 
- The stream is on LEGO's site, which everyone knows is held up by duct tape, and is therefore totally unreliable. 
- The tone of the stream is all over the place. First it's aimed at AFOLs and the next minute it has done a total 180 and shifted to a Dora the Explorer-like show. 
- The interviews felt incredibly rushed. Instead of actually taking the time to ask some interesting questions the entire thing is just scripted to go through the program as fast as possible. 
- Pretty much no set reveals whatsoever. Mario could've been saved for today but they didn't, they could've teased some upcoming sets from several themes but they didn't, I could go on like this.

4 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

- The interviews felt incredibly rushed. Instead of actually taking the time to ask some interesting questions the entire thing is just scripted to go through the program as fast as possible. 

Oh, yes. This is my biggest issue with this lego con. Those interviews seemed poorly paced, too quick and superficial....

1 hour ago, DrCoomer said:

For some reason, the entry for 75312 on LEGO's customer service site (https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/75312) calls the set "Boba Fett's Starship" and not the Slave I. 

Please don't tell me that's going to be the official name for this.

It's listed in the shop with that - that's the official name on the box. 

29 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Well that was a massive waste of time. Honestly LEGO CON in it's entirety was a hot steaming pile of garbage.

100% agree.

Dang, I was holding a shred of hope that Fennic would have her ponytail attached to the helmet mold. Definitely still a spectacularly printed fig, but its not like hair/ helmet combos are out of lego's wheelhouse, especially if they are going through with making the new mold anyway.

1 hour ago, DrCoomer said:

For some reason, the entry for 75312 on LEGO's customer service site (https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/75312) calls the set "Boba Fett's Starship" and not the Slave I. 

Please don't tell me that's going to be the official name for this.

Eh, I get why they did it and I think it's fine. I've never been bothered by the names of sets(except for when they rebooted Bionicle) as they're often over simplified in order to make it easier for parents(and grandparents, etc)and kids to find what they're looking for. Also, there have been so many Slave I's over the years that the name helps distinguish it a bit and clearly the name change is intended to draw in new/casual Star Wars fans for whom the Mandalorian is their gateway into this world. The ship is never once referred to as Slave I in the show(and if my memory serves it was never referred to by name in the films) and perhaps the name might put some people off. Even though hardcore fans like myself know and understand the reason for the name is in reference to Jango's time as a slave but new or casual fans might not be thrilled with the moniker. I do really hope they delve into that with tBoBF and Jango's backstory along with Boba's. The subtle hints with the chaincode in the armor had me ecstatic to see all of that fully realized in live action.

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

Dang, I was holding a shred of hope that Fennic would have her ponytail attached to the helmet mold. Definitely still a spectacularly printed fig, but its not like hair/ helmet combos are out of lego's wheelhouse, especially if they are going through with making the new mold anyway.

Looking at pictures of the figure from BrickFanatics' review it looks like the helmet itself is made of hard plastic, which makes sense as it would've been a bit hard to pull off figures if it were rubber. Including the ponytail in the mold would probably mean that it would also have to be hard plastic, resulting in a high(er) chance of it snapping off and getting swallowed by a kid. Or at least that's why I assume it was excluded.

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

Eh, I'm glad they didn't and I don't think it was a necessary inclusion. It would have looked weird and would have hindered the abilliry to turn the head. Could it have been printed? Maybe but again, It's not a detail I think was necessary because it's not super obvious, in fact in most scenes I didn't even notice the ponytail was out while she was wearing a helmet and while she has had the same hair style so far, it's pretty likely she'll have different hair styles in the future since she'll be a big part of tBoBF and then the helmet mold would have quickly become irrelevant.

Pretty cool how the Trexler gives us our very first female and black Stormtroopers (excluding Finn as he's a main character). Female head might be new? Don't think I've seen it before :shrug_oh_well:

EDIT: turns out both the black and female heads are new! That's amazing! 

Edited by lego_guyon02

1 hour ago, hvader said:

Honestly no one should hate leaks anymore after Lego Con... They’re becoming the only way for us to see set pictures before the sets come out

Uhmm, it's been that way for +20 years?

Beyond the Brick is already out with a review of the Imperial Light Cruiser. I like it includes two mini TIE Fighters with transparent printed tiles for the cockpit!

20 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Pretty cool how the Trexler gives us our very first female and black Stormtroopers (excluding Finn as he's a main character). Female head might be new? Don't think I've seen it before :shrug_oh_well:

That honestly increases the appeal of the set  quite a bit to me, from a low maybe to a high maybe, new heads are always useful. Though I wouldn't keep them as stormtroopers, I'll swap in some of my more generic/less useful heads to go under the helmets.

Now that I've seen the build process of the Trexler I'm pretty impressed that they fit space for a driver, the "cargo bay/ deployment area", two passengers, two side storage compartments, and the gunner in a 40$ set. It's not perfect but the utility beats the NightBuzzard by a landslide and it's 30$ less expensive. I like the look of this better than Gideon's Light Cruiser if I'm being honest.

Edited by Archer

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

Now that I've seen the build process of the Trexler I'm pretty impressed that they fit space for a driver, the "cargo bay/ deployment area", two passengers, two side storage compartments, and the gunner in a 40$ set. It's not perfect but the utility beats the NightBuzzard by a landslide and it's 30$ less expensive. I like the look of this better than Gideon's Light Cruiser if I'm being honest.

I think the main things holding it back are that it should've been all dark grey and that most people (myself included) would've preferred the more rebels/kenner toy one from the first season.

57 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Yes, I completely agree. :classic:

28 minutes ago, Archer said:

I watched a YouTube Trexler Marauder build video a short while ago & was very impressed with the build. The Mortar Trooper looks amazing!
I'm looking forward to getting a couple of Trexler Marauders much more than Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser.

21 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I think the main things holding it back are that it should've been all dark grey

I'll be swapping out the brown pieces with the relevant Dark Grey / Light Blueish Grey pieces.

Face printing on the Dark Troopers? Don't understand why. It'd be a great time to do Dyn's Face. Or Fennec's hair. Or another Dark Trooper. 

Probably gonna wait for a discounted set for the Cruiser

My thoughts after Lego con… and Lego seems to keep ignoring who buys their products…

Lol of course it’s just the mando sets out of lego con. Fennec, the dark trooper and Gideon look absolutely amazing, can’t wait to pick up the cruiser. (Edit: $270!!! WTF!! They raised the price point on us aussies AGAIN!) The imperial transport is just looking worse and worse as time goes on. That thing is tiny and will no doubt have a ridiculous price tag to go along with it, anything less than $70 here in Aus will be a miracle. (Edit: it will be $60. Still disgusting). Only interested in that one for Greef since they insist on sticking with that disgusting oversized stormtrooper helmet, but I love that they’ve included new heads for the troopers since those are prints and colors we as fans have been asking for for years.

Slave I name change though... big yikes. Brickset says that came from above at Disney, which begs the question of just what those people are actually trying to accomplish. Are they trying to send some sort of a political message? That sort of thing only works when you present a unified front and they clearly can’t keep their story straight because they’re releasing Cara Dune products (light cruiser) alongside it. Are there really that many people offended by the word “slave” in this context? Seems to me like the only people who would care about the name of a 40 year old spaceship are the same people who’ve already boycotted the product because of Gina Carano. Makes no sense at all. 

Edited by Brikkyy13

Disney has been trying to rebrand 'Slave Leia' to 'Huttslayer Leia' for a couple of years now, so it's not a complete shock that they'd be backing off the Slave I as well.

It's a minor thing but it kinda bothers me that the Dark Trooper helmet has holes for the "eyes" rather than having them in the mold, since clone trooper helmets and scout trooper helmets, have moved away from that.

Also really happy the Tie Fighters got a printed 1x1.

Edited by legobagel

7 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I couldn't possibly care less about the UCS Gunship or any other UCS set for that matter, not my kind of set at all. And me being "excessively harsh" (which I disagree with) doesn't just come down to a disappointing Star Wars reveal but just the entire stream in general: 
- The stream is on LEGO's site, which everyone knows is held up by duct tape, and is therefore totally unreliable. 
- The tone of the stream is all over the place. First it's aimed at AFOLs and the next minute it has done a total 180 and shifted to a Dora the Explorer-like show. 
- Pretty much no set reveals whatsoever. Mario could've been saved for today but they didn't, they could've teased some upcoming sets from several themes but they didn't, I could go on like this.

I wish you worked at lego, Guyon. 

Final thoughts on those sets

Imperial Armored Marauder: The build is horrible, it's so ugly. Minifigures are good, I love new heads for Stormtroopers.

Slave I: Love the build, it's great. Ladder stand is a great inclusion. Minifigures are good, but I wouldn't say no to one more. 

Imperial Light Cruiser: The build is mediocre, it's similar to every ~150€ Imperial build we get, which I'm not a fan of. Interior doesn't look like it's enough. Minifigures, on the other hand, are amazing. Fennec and the Dark Trooper are perfect, and Gideon is pretty great.

Just now, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Disney has been trying to rebrand 'Slave Leia' to 'Huttslayer Leia' for a couple of years now, so it's not a complete shock that they'd be backing off the Slave I as well.

slay·er
/ˈslāər/

noun
ARCHAICLITERARY

1. someone who kills a person or animal in a violent way.

....but "slave" is bad?:roflmao:

Edited by 2lazeetomakeaname

4 minutes ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Someone who kills a person or animal in a violent way.
....but "slave" is bad?:roflmao:

I mean, this is a series called Star WARS. Some degree of violence is an inherent part of it; other adult themes are not. I don't agree with Disney's goal here, but it's not completely crazy to draw a distinction between those things.