MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Hopefully this isn't too offtopic but what do people think the chances are that Lego recolours this hair part into black with red for hunter?

It wouldn't be perfect but I think it'd be pretty good.

47 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Hopefully this isn't too offtopic but what do people think the chances are that Lego recolours this hair part into black with red for hunter?

Personally I think the chances are near total zero. I've seen people in here say that LEGO isn't shy to update figures, but I haven't seen many examples of them updating figures in quick succession, except little unnecessary print updates.

They've made their choice with Hunter's hair piece, and I think they'll stick with it - if there are any more Bad Batch sets at all (which doesn't seem like a given to me anyway).

Hmmmm.... if the Armourer’s horns are the same color as Saxon’s, does that mean they’re made of rubber? Or is the piece dual moulded? Keen to get it in hand. She doesn’t look as bad as I was thinking when I saw Saxon, but I agree she’s missing something. The pouldron from the range troopers would’ve looked great on her. Paz looks alright but he really would’ve benefited from a new helmet mould as well. Still great to be getting a new mandalorian figure, no doubt his pieces will turn up in some purist customs. Show me the build!

11 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Hmmmm.... if the Armourer’s horns are the same color as Saxon’s, does that mean they’re made of rubber? Or is the piece dual moulded? Keen to get it in hand. She doesn’t look as bad as I was thinking when I saw Saxon, but I agree she’s missing something. The pouldron from the range troopers would’ve looked great on her. Paz looks alright but he really would’ve benefited from a new helmet mould as well. Still great to be getting a new mandalorian figure, no doubt his pieces will turn up in some purist customs. Show me the build!

I'm waiting to see the finished article, they may have to Range Trooper pauldrons.  The figs look better that I expected, really like the look of the heavy trooper as well.

Easily one of the best waves in years and with 2 possible UCS reveals, it could go down as one of the best waves in SW Lego.

There's a new image of Boba Fett and despite my issues with the mismatched greens, dang it's a great looking figure! Hopefully this new picture means we'll get a better look at Slave I and the other figures and sets soon. Also, I hope we'll soon see the face underneath.

I plan on using the Hun Warrior cape from the cmf series for the Armorer, it's not perfect but I think it's a pretty darn good option.

Edited by ToaDraco

53 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

There's a new image of Boba Fett and despite my issues with the mismatched greens, dang it's a great looking figure! Hopefully this new picture means we'll get a better look at Slave I and the other figures and sets soon. Also, I hope we'll soon see the face underneath.

I plan on using the Hun Warrior cape from the cmf series for the Armorer, it's not perfect but I think it's a pretty darn good option.

Based on the comparison, the argument could be made the decision to keep the helmet sand green was intentional. Otherwise the darker green on the "cheek" of the helmet couldn't be captured. The jet pack, on the other hand...

I do wish the cloth from Imperials in the Solo came in brown. It seems to have an accurate 3-dimensionality to it that other capes don't. Based on the "Body Wear" pieces on BrickLink in the various shades of brown, there's no 'perfect fit' and it does seem to come down to shape (Solo Imperials) or color (Hun or otherwise short cape).

Generally speaking... anybody else feel like something about the designs lately feels more like customs? Not saying it's good or bad, just that the artistic direction seems 'different' from the normal TLG minifigure stylization.

39 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Based on the comparison, the argument could be made the decision to keep the helmet sand green was intentional. Otherwise the darker green on the "cheek" of the helmet couldn't be captured.

It does seem like their hands were tied by their own colour palette. The printing and mould colour palette are one and the same, and dark green is LEGO's darkest green. It's the best match for Boba's repainted armour, and in the show his chest armour and helmet are clearly the same colour, but if LEGO went with dark green for the helmet then they would have had to use black for the cheeks. Even regular green would have been too bright for the armour and helmet.

The two things some of these have in common with what customs tend to do are continue printing from the torso over the hips, and arm printing. However, the majority of these figures still lack enough crazy minute printing and other features to seem like customs to me!

Even if I don't get many of these sets, this year is feeling as exciting as 2011 to me. That year had so much good Star Wars stuff - new characters and moulds, great updates to characters, some new ships and properly redone one. That was a great year.

Does anyone think the Lego Con Star Wars set reveal might be the 150th Brickhead(z)? The most recent Brickheadz set, the Ninjago pack, ended on 148. (FYI, the Lego Con SW set reveal is just one set). It would make sense to have a fan-voted set be revealed at a fan event.

Sources:

Lego Con (reveal being one set)

Lego Ideas (SW Brickhead being #150)

Brickset (Ninjago Brickheadz numbering)

Edited by SuperSith

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Personally I think the chances are near total zero. I've seen people in here say that LEGO isn't shy to update figures, but I haven't seen many examples of them updating figures in quick succession, except little unnecessary print updates.

They've made their choice with Hunter's hair piece, and I think they'll stick with it - if there are any more Bad Batch sets at all (which doesn't seem like a given to me anyway).

that piece would be great.. but on the other hand people would complain about no printing on the one-colour headband.

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I don't think. On Saxton it looked to me like it's gun metal grey-black dual molded (which I doubt now). But the Armorer has a different shape of visor etc. - so I think it would not work well with dual molding.

Overall I think we have just been spoiled by all he beautiful dual molded pieces from Star Wars and ninjago :pir-grin:
Printing and printing quality on "old style" helmets isn't the same anymore. Then again helmets might become bigger with dual molding and people wont like that.

1 hour ago, SuperSith said:

Does anyone think the Lego Con Star Wars set reveal might be the 150th Brickhead(z)? The most recent Brickheadz set, the Ninjago pack, ended on 148. (FYI, the Lego Con SW set reveal is just one set). It would make sense to have a fan-voted set be revealed at a fan event.

Sources:

Man, that would be a huge bummer if true.

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

Based on the comparison, the argument could be made the decision to keep the helmet sand green was intentional. Otherwise the darker green on the "cheek" of the helmet couldn't be captured. The jet pack, on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

It does seem like their hands were tied by their own colour palette. The printing and mould colour palette are one and the same, and dark green is LEGO's darkest green. It's the best match for Boba's repainted armour, and in the show his chest armour and helmet are clearly the same colour, but if LEGO went with dark green for the helmet then they would have had to use black for the cheeks. Even regular green would have been too bright for the armour and helmet.

Yeah I pointed out in a previous post that the dark green of his "cheeks" would be a problem if they molded the helmet in the appropriate dark green. Even though regular green is too bright, it's still darker than sand green and I think would have been a better compromise than to do what they did and split the difference.

1 hour ago, SuperSith said:

Sources:

If it’s not the gunship this could be it... keen to see what this one turns out to be. I voted for Jaws so I’m not hoping for anything in particular, just something other than Jar Jar :ugh:

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

Generally speaking... anybody else feel like something about the designs lately feels more like customs? Not saying it's good or bad, just that the artistic direction seems 'different' from the normal TLG minifigure stylization.

While I do think Lego's quality has really increased with its figures such as all the new clone faces and all the various toe printing, the new 501st clone style looks so knockoff its not funny.

They created some random art-style that blended both but also added its own random elements. I'm happy to have them, but I would rather have them look like either the movies or the show. I really just want a consistent Phase II clone style, It looks weird to display the 501st clones with either the realistic clones or the clone wars versions. 

8 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I don't think. On Saxton it looked to me like it's gun metal grey-black dual molded (which I doubt now). But the Armorer has a different shape of visor etc. - so I think it would not work well with dual molding.

Only the horns would be dual-moulded into the helmet, not the visor. Gar Saxon's horns and helmet look like the same colour to me, but that doesn't mean they aren't dual moulded, especially if the horns are a slightly different plastic. The other possibility is that it's not dual moulded and the Armorer has a paint application on hers. LEGO used to do paint applications that comprehensive sometimes before they started leaning more towards dual-moulding in these situations.

15 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Only the horns would be dual-moulded into the helmet, not the visor. Gar Saxon's horns and helmet look like the same colour to me, but that doesn't mean they aren't dual moulded, especially if the horns are a slightly different plastic. The other possibility is that it's not dual moulded and the Armorer has a paint application on hers. LEGO used to do paint applications that comprehensive sometimes before they started leaning more towards dual-moulding in these situations.

I'm pretty sure the horms are painted given how shiny they are and the fact there's some "bleed" of the black paint onto the helmet. If they were dual-molded, they'd typically have more crisp and consistent color seperation. Plus if they bothered to dual-mold the horns in they'd likely be made more rubbery and that material is usually more matte.

Moving away from minifigs for a second, there are 2 features I would love the new Slave I to have: 1. A seismic charge drop feature and 2. Space for 2 minifigs to sit inside. Examining the picture, there's definitely enough space for them to fit 2 minifigs back to back, especially since it doesn't have a rotating cockpit feature where it needs room to accommodate. That would certainly make up for it in my eyes. Imagine, one of the smallest Slave I's we ever get and it's the first to have room for 2 minifigs since Jango Fett's Slave I from 2002!

Edited by ToaDraco

I agree that regular green was the way to go with the new Boba armour. But from the sounds of his description, I may well end up displaying mine helmetless anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem!

14 hours ago, ood0 said:

Oof, Armourer looking rough. Printed horns on a normal Mando helmet would've looked better. And the bad angle strikes again! Everyone looks like they have a massive forehead.

Agree with you there, think Mandr called this awhile ago aswell. I'm not too impressed with the helmet and fur missing, but still getting it anyway. Paz is looking as expected, good look.

3 hours ago, SuperSith said:

Sources:

That's not a bad call - completely forgot that was supposed to be coming. Any chance that's what the mystery 75369 is? I don't collect Brickheadz so can't remember if their numbering follows the Star Wars sequence or not.

29 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

That's not a bad call - completely forgot that was supposed to be coming. Any chance that's what the mystery 75369 is? I don't collect Brickheadz so can't remember if their numbering follows the Star Wars sequence or not.

Nope, Brickheadz have their own range of set numbers :classic:

3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

If it’s not the gunship this could be it... keen to see what this one turns out to be. I voted for Jaws so I’m not hoping for anything in particular, just something other than Jar Jar :ugh:

A lot of people are didn't MandR run a campaign for Jar Jar?  Perhaps an ObiWan as Kenobi is coming soon would be a nice omage to the OT as well.

4 hours ago, SEmrys said:

I agree that regular green was the way to go with the new Boba armour. But from the sounds of his description, I may well end up displaying mine helmetless anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Honestly I think the helmet looks great, even with the "wrong colour" but yeah, helmetless Boba ftw

We've come a long way from the angry clone face

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The two things some of these have in common with what customs tend to do are continue printing from the torso over the hips, and arm printing. However, the majority of these figures still lack enough crazy minute printing and other features to seem like customs to me!

Even if I don't get many of these sets, this year is feeling as exciting as 2011 to me. That year had so much good Star Wars stuff - new characters and moulds, great updates to characters, some new ships and properly redone one. That was a great year.

Additional detailing (e.g. continuous torso-to-hip printing) is definitely part of it, but that's not all. Take a look at the previous iteration of Boba's torso vs. this 2021 version. Something about the lines/shading/drawing seems typical online-graphic-artist vs. traditional-TLG-minifigure-style to me.

7 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Yeah I pointed out in a previous post that the dark green of his "cheeks" would be a problem if they molded the helmet in the appropriate dark green. Even though regular green is too bright, it's still darker than sand green and I think would have been a better compromise than to do what they did and split the difference.

Aha good on you for thinking of that sooner. Agreed, regular green seems like the best compromise but - if that's all it is - I can sort of see why they'd say it's not worth making that helmet in a new color.

I think leaving the helmet in sand-green was the best option. While it’s not 100% accurate, at least they updated its printing :purrr:

10 hours ago, SuperSith said:

The gunship is also a fan-voted set, though. You do bring up a good point, but I hope that lego has enough common sense to realize that revealing a brickheadz as the "exclusive set" would be a huge letdown.

5 hours ago, Darth Malgus said:

A lot of people are didn't MandR run a campaign for Jar Jar? 

Yup. The gunship wasn't as aggravating, as while he was influencing the vote it conceivably could have won on it's own, and is a set many people actually wanted. The Jar Jar thing was just him blatantly using his influence to get a set of quite possibly the least popular star wars character ever made. It honestly comes off as him just seeing if he can influence enough votes to get a joke suggestion as a set.

I bet that since lego could control the actual character they picked, they would go with R2 and C3P0. We’ve never seen them before , they’ve been in every Star Wars movie, and we have never had them in Brickheads before, have we? I won’t be getting this, I don’t get brickheads, but I think these two make the most sense. Then again, that’s just a guess.

Edited by Brickroll

It may not be accurate but I think the Armorer would look great with any of the brown or gold shoulder accessories. Notably there's the piece Wu used last year. I think her show appearance is a bit messy anyway. I'll probably put the helmet on some golden figure.