MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

5 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I think the Peak of TCW > Peak Rebels. A random Rebels episode is better than a random CW episode but the best CW arcs like Umbara, or Mandalore (any of the 3 IMO) are better than the individual arcs in Rebels. Rebels crew is amazing throughout which is what makes it top tier SW.

Although I agree, no TCW episode has made me cry like Kanan's death

I guess the set they'll reveal will be a UCS / D2C set, as it would be pretty underwhelming to reveal like a single The Mandalorian set.

The next UCS set we know of is the Gunship. So I guess it's just 2o days until wee see it :excited:

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I guess the set they'll reveal will be a UCS / D2C set, as it would be pretty underwhelming to reveal like a single The Mandalorian set.

The next UCS set we know of is the Gunship. So I guess it's just 2o days until wee see it :excited:

Just watch them reveal the Armory :grin:

16 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Just seen the gaping holes on the side of the cockpit of the Mando Starfighter. Big shame. 

I feel like there’s a mod solution somewhere but agreed it looks very dumb. 

51 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

Just watch them reveal the Armory :grin:

To be fair it's not like they'd reveal one September The Mandalorian set before 3 August The Mandalorian sets... or would they :laugh_hard:

8 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I think the Peak of TCW > Peak Rebels. A random Rebels episode is better than a random CW episode but the best CW arcs like Umbara, or Mandalore (any of the 3 IMO) are better than the individual arcs in Rebels. Rebels crew is amazing throughout which is what makes it top tier SW.

Isn't it even hard to put both shows in the same bed though?

I cannot understand how people can enjoy the sometimes awful and incoherent writing from TCW compared to the well thought out and professionally written characters in Rebels. But then again Rebels built on all the work TCW did before. And TCW may have had a lot of lore potential - but they also had the "prequel" backpack. It's crazy how much this show redemed Anakin or some other aspects of the prequels. Until I got older I actually liked the prequels but movie-Anakin was always disgusting to me.

Unfortunately Rebels was limited by the age rating, half the budget and single episodes (no arcs). But within that I'd say they did a pretty admirable job. With TCW of course you got weird stuff like a huge Spider-Maul arc (I mean just that trash-planet episode was freaking beyond anything you'd ever expect form a children cartoon), villain perspective episodes, Umbara arc etc.

So always depends what's your preference - I prefer Rebels over TCW but they were both very respectable shows doing best what was possible under the circumstances. The same can not be said about the sequels. Objectively they were just a mess with no plan from start to finish.

speaking of which; it's so great how much more creative and finished builds and figures look now that we are pat the sequels (never to be seen again).

50 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

To be fair it's not like they'd reveal one September The Mandalorian set before 3 August The Mandalorian sets... or would they :laugh_hard:

:hmpf_bad: wouldn’t put it past them

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Isn't it even hard to put both shows in the same bed though?

I cannot understand how people can enjoy the sometimes awful and incoherent writing from TCW compared to the well thought out and professionally written characters in Rebels.

Unfortunately Rebels was limited by the age rating, half the budget and single episodes (no arcs). But within that I'd say they did a pretty admirable job. With TCW of course you got weird stuff like a huge Spider-Maul arc (I mean just that trash-planet episode was freaking beyond anything you'd ever expect form a children cartoon), villain perspective episodes, Umbara arc etc.

So always depends what's your preference - I prefer Rebels over TCW but they were both very respectable shows doing best what was possible under the circumstances. 

You've answered your own question. If Rebels hadn't pulled its punches because Mistah Mouse said so, it would've been a way better show. But the childish-aspect of some of the plots and scenes makes for some tonally inconsistent material. Rebels was at its best when it had actual stakes, when characters could actually die. Unfortunately, no one people cared about could bite the dust (until Kanan) because "kids show", whereas, with a few obvious examples, any character could die in the Clone Wars. Sure, we knew Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme would be safe, but the others? TCW doled out death in spades, and it was on cartoon network! Absolutely unheard of.

Not to mention, I think Star Wars suffers from having to share everything (movies, books, cartoons) in the same Universe, because then there's so much tone-shifting and "dumbing down". Characters who'd be ripped to pieces in another media survive by the grace of "kids show". But then again, Clone Wars doesn't have this issue. Compare to comic books, which have the luxury of multiple "Earths" to work in.

You can prefer whichever you'd like, but ultimately TCW was executed better than Rebels, especially when it hit its stride in the later seasons. But imo, there are gems all the way back to the beginning. And "well thought out and professionally written" characters often left me underwhelmed with how their plots where ultimately handled *coughSabinecough*. If anyone cares to question why, you can always PM me. 

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Hopefully. Especially with how secret the announcement seems to be. It'll be pretty hard to spoil a UCS set, unlike, say a $30 retail set.

@ARC2149Nova, I’m not sure how fair it is to say that TCW killed characters left and right. They certainly killed minor characters, but they usually only got rid of one main hero per season, and it was usually a clone. I also don’t think that necessarily makes it better—having a darker tone is not always better. 

So, on a more forum related note, a couple months ago, KingWong teased a photo of Darth Vader standing over a bunch of clone helmets. It might just be KW being a goober, but we still haven’t seen any clone troopers in this wave, and we’ve still got an unknown set. I would usually guess that set would be an ST or OT set, given that we don’t have many of them, but since we’ve gotten this many Mando and CW sets, I’m not so sure. Does anyone else think these two things may be related?

5 hours ago, TobyAis said:

Although I agree, no TCW episode has made me cry like Kanan's death

Yah, Kanan's death had me crying but I also got pretty emotional when Hevy died and when Echo got blown up but I was pretty young so it could be nostalgia

Just now, Brickroll said:

@ARC2149Nova, I’m not sure how fair it is to say that TCW killed characters left and right. They certainly killed minor characters, but they usually only got rid of one main hero per season, and it was usually a clone. I also don’t think that necessarily makes it better—having a darker tone is not always better. 

Heroes and villains. Minor characters and civilians. When last did Rebels have terrorist attacks? Mass civilian massacres? Aside from the one camp on Lothal, and the attack by the Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister I have trouble remembering. Maybe The Duchess counts?

And I agree, darker is not always better: except that Star Wars is an inherently dark universe. And a show like Rebels has trouble keeping up with the tone of the movies.

Of the top of my head, TCW killed senators (actual assassinations), tons of clones, other biological military personnel, multiple Jedi (Adi Gallia, Evan Piell, etc.), multiple civilians, slaves, gangsters and bounty hunters, CIS officers, and the list goes on. Rebels killed one politician, some Imperials, the useless Inquisitorius, and a few faceless Rebels.

Oh and Sato, RIP.

Star Wars is a very mature series, and yes, there are lighter elements, nothing is ever purely dark, but still, the tone is important. If a character (in Star Wars) survives something that would kill them in any other media because "kids show" then that's just poor writing.

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think you're exactly right. Between RLFM hints at more info on the Gunship "mid-summer", and the recent release of a lineup for LEGO CON teasing a "new set reveal" for Star Wars, you'd have to think it'd be something massive, and the Gunship fits the bill. I can't wait!

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Heroes and villains. Minor characters and civilians. When last did Rebels have terrorist attacks? Mass civilian massacres? Aside from the one camp on Lothal, and the attack by the Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister I have trouble remembering. Maybe The Duchess counts?

And I agree, darker is not always better: except that Star Wars is an inherently dark universe. And a show like Rebels has trouble keeping up with the tone of the movies.

Of the top of my head, TCW killed senators (actual assassinations), tons of clones, other biological military personnel, multiple Jedi (Adi Gallia, Evan Piell, etc.), multiple civilians, slaves, gangsters and bounty hunters, CIS officers, and the list goes on. Rebels killed one politician, some Imperials, the useless Inquisitorius, and a few faceless Rebels.

Oh and Sato, RIP.

Star Wars is a very mature series, and yes, there are lighter elements, nothing is ever purely dark, but still, the tone is important. If a character (in Star Wars) survives something that would kill them in any other media because "kids show" then that's just poor writing.

but is that the point of a story? Im not even just talking about Star Wars but it we go that way; the OT was pretty light in tone except for ESB.

I think TCW was very experimental and that was great. It had the weirdest arcs and somehow most of them have something special. But to me it felt often pointless; many arcs were less well executed episodes of Star Trek the next generation, Avatar or Ghibli movies. I think many times Filoni or Lucas try to handle heavy  topics they don't understand or cannot transport within their universe. Wheter we take the slavery arc, the one about supporting terrorists on Alderan or about the big prison - there's so much real life context to it; but the way they handled it was insulting at worst and not very "poetic" at best. I don't want to start discussion about white upper class people trying to be deep with topics they don't understand and social groups they don't know but let's say if better written and researched some arcs could have been much better.

Rebels in that sense was focussing on the individual arcs and relationships; it was much more complex in that area but much simpler in the political realm. In one season Ezra or Kanan had way more character developement then most characters in TCW. Don't forgett Rex (great character) needed 4 seasons until obideance in the Umbara arc and I think until bad batch to be really more of an individual thinker. Ahsoka was pretty strong in terms of constant developement but then again many episodes were not about her. And I'd say any other original prequel character was more or less damage control (and that's a huge compliment to the showrunners).

Last one: higher stakes would have improved Rebels surely: Lothal, season 3 ending or the final fight of Lothal could have needed that. Sato and Gregor (RIP) were not enough to make me feel this was a real battle. But this weakness for Rebels (and many others) and strengh for TCW doesn't change that the show runners abilities in many ways have grown incredibly with Rebels.

It comes down to individual taste. I'm sensitive when it comes to some topics TCW failed to touch (while I respect they tried) but I can look or laugh away some flaws or Rebels. With others it's the other way around. They are both great shows and due to different circumstances I feel like "ONE SHOW IS SUPERIOR"-comments are always a bit flat.

BTW: with Bo Katan we actually get a figure from the Rebels universe for the first time again! I wonder what face they give to Gar Saxton - he shows a flesh head but they don't show, while I think the random Mando got a black head.

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok

1 minute ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

but is that the point of a story? Im not even just talking about Star Wars but it we go that way; the OT was pretty light in tone except for ESB.

I think TCW was very experimental and that was great. It had the weirdest arcs and somehow most of them have something special. But to me it felt often pointless; many arcs were less well executed episodes of Star Trek the next generation, Avatar or Ghibli movies. I think many times Filoni or Lucas try to handle heavy  topics they don't understand or cannot transport within their universe. Wheter we take the slavery arc, the one about supporting terrorists on Alderan or about the big prison - there's so much real life context to it; but the way they handled it was insulting at worst and not very "poetic" at best. I don't want to start discussion about white upper class people trying to be deep with topics they don't understand and social groups they don't know but let's say if better written and researched some arcs could have been much better.

Rebels in that sense was focussing on the individual arcs and relationships; it was much more complex in that area but much simpler in the political realm. In one season Ezra or Kanan had way more character developement then most characters in TCW. Don't forgett Rex (great character) needed 4 seasons until obideance in the Umbara arc and I think until bad batch to be really more of an individual thinker. Ahsoka was pretty strong in terms of constant developement but then again many episodes were not about her. And I'd say any other original prequel character was more or less damage control (and that's a huge compliment to the showrunners).

Last one: higher stakes would have improved Rebels surely: Lothal, season 3 ending or the final fight of Lothal could have needed that. Sato and Gregor (RIP) were not enough to make me feel this was a real battle. But this weakness for Rebels (and many others) and strengh for TCW doesn't change that the show runners abilities in many ways have grown incredibly with Rebels.

It comes down to individual taste. I'm sensitive when it comes to some topics TCW failed to touch (while I respect they tried) but I can look or laugh away some flaws or Rebels. With others it's the other way around. They are both great shows and due to different circumstances I feel like "ONE SHOW IS SUPERIOR"-comments are always a bit flat.

Don't get me wrong, I did most certainly enjoy Rebels overall, just like I enjoy TCW overall, and I respect many of the points you make here, but keeping the tone is important. It's not the be all, end all, and just like in real life, lighter stories can often serve a purpose, but when the stakes are so meaningless nobody really dies, it kind of defeats the purpose of the show. This is Star Wars, and TCW imho did a much better overall job of putting the War in "Clone Wars". I understand why Rebels wasn't as complex as far as battles and such, but I think a rotating perspective could've helped immensely. Not to mention I was very disappointed in some of the choices they made with Sabine (they make it seem like the Empire destroyed her family, but they're all alive, despite a weapon she made to wipe out the Mandalorians) that wasn't very compelling in my opinion. I still enjoyed the Mandalore arc (and Sabine as a character), though.

I can understand your viewpoint on the deep topics. But I think that's where the larger universe comes in. TCW set the seeds for some important developments in later canon (the Onderon rebels being the most overt example). The slavery arc might've been handled better, but I think that's a deep topic best suited for either a different media (i.e. comics or novels) or a different show.

I appreciate that you said most. As new characters, Ezra and Kanan did come a long way, and I appreciate the acknowledgement of TCW's uphill battle to make Anakin of all people actually likable. But I also loved the deep dives into Obi-Wan, I've sometimes joked that he's assembled a bit of a "Rogues Gallery" because of TCW.

I can always appreciate individual taste. It's really about the types of stories you prefer, and the specific storytelling tactics you enjoy. I'll always prefer spectacular battles and political intrigue over a family on the run, but that's not to say I won't enjoy it.

Now that we're all friends again, :laugh: I fear straying further off-track.

While I have enjoyed reading the different views about Clone Wars and Rebels, this is not the thread for that discussion. Lets get back on topic here, but feel free to continue this line of thought in the appropriate thread listed in my signature below.

I haven't made any clear scale calculations about this but... how do y'all think the UCS Gunship's ball turrets (on the sides and on the wings) will be built? We know the cockpits use this piece, which is ten studs long:

4248365.jpg

Is the Mos Eisley Cantina dome piece big enough to match the scale?

95198.png Slightly smaller than the cockpit, at 8 studs in diameter.

I also wonder how the turrets just below the cockpits will be built. The system sets always used specialized pieces to allow motion, but those are much too small for the size of the upcoming set. Suffice to say I'm excited for the reveal. I can't imagine TLG building this much hype around a reveal for a small system scale set.

1 minute ago, Terrasher said:

I haven't made any clear scale calculations about this but... how do y'all think the UCS Gunship's ball turrets (on the sides and on the wings) will be built? We know the cockpits use this piece, which is ten studs long:

I also wonder how the turrets just below the cockpits will be built. The system sets always used specialized pieces to allow motion, but those are much too small for the size of the upcoming set. Suffice to say I'm excited for the reveal. I can't imagine TLG building this much hype around a reveal for a small system scale set.

I'm thinking something along the lines of MOCs, where the ball turrets are usually brick-built. Throw in a wide range of translucent pieces for the "bubble" effect and that would most likely work. The wing turrets are less of an issue, probably the usual setup, or a new method to match the bubble turrets.

52 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

I’ve been assuming that they’ll use the gyro spheres from Jurassic world, although I’m not 100% sure how they’d scale.

51 minutes ago, Archer said:

I’ve been assuming that they’ll use the gyro spheres from Jurassic world, although I’m not 100% sure how they’d scale.

You're right, those would be a wonderful fit for both the side and wing turrets. They're a stud larger in diameter than the Mos Eisley dome, which I think is appropriate for the size of the windscreens, and would result in smoother spheres. I think the wing turrets move as well, which would be easier to achieve with the gyrosphere parts. Oh boy, now I really want to see it use those pieces.

So I was poking the Mando Starfighter set pics because, well, gorgeous, and noticed Bo Katan's helmet has a frightening amount of fading when it comes to the white printing. Seems to be a similar problem to what a lot of 501sts had. Hope it isn't going to be a chronic issue because a slightly faded 501st helm just looks like it's taken battle damaged, a faded Bo Katan starts looking really bad. 

edit: also it's nice to confirm Saxon's helmet has a different cheekbone cut. 

Edited by hondohnaka

On 6/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, ToaDraco said:

It may be accurate to ESB but the figure is based on the Mandalorian and the freshly repainted armor which is consistently dark green on the helmet, jetpack and torso. I feel like LEGO should have picked one color or the other because as it is the figure is jarringly inconsistent color-wise. As far as the jetpack goes, I guess that's true but if there's any character that deserves a unique jetpack mold, it's Boba. Hell, I'd be happy with them bringing this piece back in an appropriate color and adding a couple other pieces to give it the proper tall missile. Minifigure Jet Pack with Nozzles and Stud

At least, if they didn’t want to produce Mandalorian helmet in new color, they could give him green helmet + new print, because they produced that helmet in green for Mandalorian battle pack. And green would work better for repainted Boba than sand green, IMO.

Ming Na Wen posted the leaks on her twitter, surprised the Lego/Disney snipers haven't got her or the person she retweeted yet

Sniping a sniper ain’t easy :tongue: Besides, TLG leaked the catalogue themselves, so going after people who reposted it doesn’t seem worthwhile to me

Isn't this like the 2HY catalogue? Lego's 2HY started 6 days ago, so it definitely should be officially out :tongue:

Not a leak I'd say, it's just Lego being stupid again (just like with Eternals).

On 6/6/2021 at 7:25 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I would temper expectations that the Gunship reveal is at Lego Con...