MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Figured it was only a matter of time before we got these after the Boba torso. Seems like a solid enough wave - Marauder looks good, as does the cruiser. Something about the Gauntlet looks a bit off to me though.

The real highlight, though... The figures are all amazing. Bit of a shame the Slave I only comes with Mando, but two more versions of him with arm printing is not a bad thing at all. Fennec Shand looks great, so does Moff Gideon, Gar Saxon looks phenomenal and I can see his helmet working well for the armourer. And Cara Dune is included in the cruiser, which will hopefully put a lid on the storm in that particular teacup.

EDIT having said that, the darksabre does indeed seem to be a regular black 4L bar on a lightsabre hilt. That's disappointing but not a deal breaker.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Damn, the sets look great on the leaked images!
I'm even to buy a few of the Mandalorian Clone Wars sets, they look really nice as well, especially the Maul vs Ahsoka battle.
Here's hoping HD pictures will come up soon, too. I want to see if the Arquitens has a decent interior :drool:

Regards,
Mtich

Duel on Mandalore is great. The build is good, but it's too simplistic for my taste. But ut works just fine as a duel set.

Mandalorian Starfighter is amazing, the build is incredible - and so are the minifigures. They are just perfect :wub:

Troop Transport looks... acceptable. The build is kinda ugly and blocky, and the minfigures are boring with 3 Stormtroopers.

Slave I looks awesome, I love the build. Boba will be the main dish here, and Mando's spear is a nice inclusion. Should've had more minifigs tho.

Gideon's Cruiser is... good. I like the build overally, but there are some things I don't like - giant cannons, or the whole front section. Minifigures are absolutely incredible tho - Fennec, Gideon and Dark Trooper all look perfect. Cara Dune being a repeat suck as I hate her face print.

Is that Christmas Mando and Grogu I see in the AC? Finally Grogu's pod appeared too :wub_drool:

I like the most of this wave, my only complaint is that they used the old Boba Fetts' helmet instead of making new color + print. He has that beautiful new torso with detailed arm printing but uses old helmet, a bit odd.

These sets look amazing, I think 2021 will probably go down as one of the best years for SW yet, all of the figures look brilliant, as are all the sets, and I like DBG rather than LBG for the Marauder (Mano one not the BB one- this will be confusing), though my favourite is the  - the micro TIE fighters are brilliant and I wonder if there is a microscale interior?

Edited by Stuartn

2 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

These sets look amazing, I think 2021 will probably go down as one of the best years for SW yet, all of the figures look brilliant, as are all the sets, and I like DBG rather than LBG for the Marauder (Mano one not the BB one- this will be confusing), though my favourite is the  - the micro TIE fighters are brilliant and I wonder if there is a microscale interior?

I'm hoping there's a microscale shuttle or Slave I to go with them, I can't see any on the pictures. I presume it'll have a microscale hangar, a bridge, maybe the brig where Mando fights Gideon and possibly the dark trooper storage room? Can't wait to see pics of the interior.

The Slave one is very narrow though, the cockpit only four wide like the Cloud City version, though I anticipate most AFOLs at least will purchase the set for the figures

2 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I'm hoping there's a microscale shuttle or Slave I to go with them, I can't see any on the pictures. I presume it'll have a microscale hangar, a bridge, maybe the brig where Mando fights Gideon and possibly the dark trooper storage room? Can't wait to see pics of the interior.

The micro TIE fighters have a stud on the wings, so I am assuming this is a connection point to some sort of hangar 

Edited by Stuartn

finally, a good star wars wave. it's been like 4 years since the last almost completely good one anyways

love the transport; can't tell much about it rn but it looks fairly accurate and i like the shaping. here's hoping the function works

ahsoka vs maul looks like garbage but given the two figures most people here are gonna keep while cashing in the rest and considering a couple pieces in neat colors it's fine; 147 pieces can only build so much anyways

something about the mando fighter didn't quite gel with me initially: i thought it was the wings looking messy (and they do to some extent) but really the issue is the cockpit. hope the horizontal orientation looks more palatable because vertical feels off in a weird way

slave 1 is surprisingly good: wasn't shocked by lego being able to make a slave 1 with 590 pieces (they've done with 570 and it can easily exceed a slave 1 with 1000 in size), but wow does it look nice. i consider the 2019 slave 1 to be a masterclass in lego design and the pinnacle of slave 1 renditions, but much like the x wing it's a smart move by lego to downsize the megablocker and smarter move to include mando and boba. here's hoping they do the same to the slave 1 as they did the x wing (downsize but make unique in a cool way)

big grey shuttle seems like a big grey shuttle, which i guess is important for the finale. don't mind it, it has a strong silhouette, it's fine.

---

overall congrats to lego for finally making a good star wars wave; was optimistic about the winter wave solely as a proof-of-concept series with smaller refined builds to clean up the overpriced fig-centric garbage of last year and some of the year prior (and the year prior and the year before that and before that and...). That this wave looks as good as it does is in no small part due to lego finally getting some strong content to base on, but if anything the choice to make things more affordable and the design standards set with wave 1 really helped get things going. here's hoping for another 2006-2014 era for star wars

I had slightly higher expectations for the ITT. I think the ITT seen in season 1 (which can hold 3 stormtroopers per side) is more iconic that this one from season 2. Moreover, with 3 stormtroopers provided in the set it would be more useful to be able to transport them rather than having on foot. The ITT from season 1 is also very similar to that appeared several times in Rebels.

Love the colors and details on the Mandalorian Fighter. Its a nice update from the last version. Bo-Katan and Gar Saxon look incredible. That new horned helmet is going to look great on the Armorer!

Duel on Mandalore is a must buy! Not only is it an affordable way to get Ahsoka and Maul but the build of the Mandalorian throne is also a good representation despite using such few pieces. Now we just need a Duchess Satine figure to go alongside it.

Gideon's Cruiser is pretty awesome and will display well alongside the Star Destroyer and other capital ships. Gideon and Fennec look great. Glad she came with her helmet. I'm surprised they went with a standard minifigure for the Darktrooper instead of droid parts but the molded head and Wrecker's armor work really well. Hopefully we get a battle pack for them next year.

Troop Transport looks good although I do prefer the Kenner version seen in Season 1 and Rebels.

They did a good job at downsizing the Slave I. Looks like a cross between the 20th Anniversary version and the one that came in Cloud City. Shame the only additional figure is another Beskar Mando repeat.

And FINALLY that Darksaber discussion is over. Standard hilt with rod 4L.

Lots of good sets. My wallet sits in a corner, sobbing desperetely.

The wave looks excellent. The Boba Fett figure looks beautiful. And we finally have a Bo Kayan figure! Gideon’s Cruiser looks really nice and reminds me of some of the Capital Ships we used to get, I can’t wait to see what the interior looks like.

Slave I looks really neat. A slighter larger version of the CC one but not quite as big as the 20th. Just realise this might be the first time we’ve got Boba’s Slave I that doesn’t include a Carbonite Han. The Ashoka vs Maul looks alright. I remember LEGO did a Final Duel set ages ago that was literally just Vader and The Emperor and a chair and it kind of reminds me of that but it’s a charm of way getting both characters. 

Oh, It’s beautiful. 

Slave I looks like a beefed up version of the one from Cloud City. Seeing only Mando in it makes me think that it was originally meant to be Boba and Han and they made a last minute design change. If there’s space for a Han carbonite block underneath we’ll know for sure. I don’t want to get the slave I again but if Boba ends up being stupid expensive on the aftermarket I’ll probably just bite the bullet. 

Cruiser looks awesome, can’t wait to see the interior. Darksaber looks like a 3L bar instead of a 4L to me but could be wrong. Figures are great, love that Cara Dune is there if only for the fact that her inclusion is sure to make some people crack the megablocks (RIP anybody who paid extortionate prices for her figure), only one dark trooper is a shame though. Surely more dark troopers will turn up in sets as time goes on. 

Marauder is cool, but the continued use of the oversized stormtrooper helmets is a shame. They can’t turn their heads anymore, I don’t get how that’s acceptable to anybody. 

Gauntlet fighter is great too, so happy to finally have Bo Katan. Gar Saxon is icing on the cake, I just hope the armourer doesn’t use that helmet as well. Missed out on the original set so will try to get this one ASAP.

Mandalore duel is meh but nobody’s buying that one for the build. Prison block is a great inclusion, from the leaked descriptions I thought that was an actual prison cell from like The Lawless or something and not Maul’s from the finale. They could’ve at least done some spinning bases like the last duel sets. Maul not using the monkey kid hilt piece is annoying but easily solved with a bricklink order (that is, if the piece has been produced in the right color yet. Last I checked I think it was only in gold :/ )

Also nice little tease for the advent calendar too. 

Great wave, great to see Star Wars bouncing back after a horrible year of releases last year. Will definitely try to get all the sets except the Slave I, maybe not the duel either depending on Maul’s price. Keen to see the forge eventually, I’ve always hated the retail exclusives not being in the catalogues.

Now I feel like an idiot for getting Trouble on Tattooine. At least I didn't get the ~£120 Slave One, because I'm absolutely getting this one, hilariously tiny cockpit and all. Makes sense that Boba has arm printing given that he's getting his own show.

Nice that the Gauntlet actually looks good this time. Still a day one buy for me, but I'm weirded out by how lacking it seems in the figure department. I thought maybe the initial leak was wrong (like they were with Slave One...), but no. There should be at least one Maultrooper for Gar Saxon to boss around, surely.

MandR was right when he described the sets, Maul's prison does suck. Probably just end up bricklinking the figure.

I don't agree with him about the Trexler though, looks perfectly fine to me. Maybe a bit studded given how smooth the vehicle is in universe but I don't really care.

Can't believe they didn't cheap out and actually gave the Darktrooper and Fennec new helmet molds, though in Fennec's case it's probably for the same reason as Boba. Can't believe that despite that, the Darksaber is yet again just a black bar. The Cara Dune figure is still bad and still looks nothing like the actress, not that I'm a fan of either of those people but come on, it's literally the last opportunity they have. I will never be able to afford this set given all the other stuff coming out this autumn, but maybe if I can pay off a large chunk of the cost due to Cara Dune staying artificially inflated and people not realising that Fennec will definitely appear in a cheaper set down the line then I may consider it.

The Boba Fett figure looks incredible but it's a bit weird at the same time. Why are the torso and legs based on his repainted armor from Chapter 15 and 16 while his helmet and jetpack are the worn ones from Chapter 14? I love both outfits but I really wish they would've just sticked with one of them for this figure, not some weird hybrid of the two.

7 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Surely more dark troopers will turn up in sets as time goes on. 

They mentioned that battle packs weren't dead, am I crazy? Like a Praetorian Guard situation? Maybe throwing in an officer to represent the bridge crew on the Light Cruiser?

Just now, lego_guyon02 said:

The Boba Fett figure looks incredible but it's a bit weird at the same time. Why are the torso and legs based on his repainted armor from Chapter 15 and 16 while his helmet and jetpack are the worn ones from Chapter 14? 

Why do a new helmet print and a jetpack that actually looks like his jetpack when you could just.. not? Probably a cost/limited spaces for new parts thing, but come on. They didn't even make his armour and helmet the same colour.

Woohoo new set leaks! I will see them tomorrow as a reward for getting through the week and finishing my assesment

4 minutes ago, ood0 said:

Why do a new helmet print and a jetpack that actually looks like his jetpack when you could just.. not? Probably a cost/limited spaces for new parts thing, but come on. They didn't even make his armour and helmet the same colour.

Exactly, it's basically a hybrid of the worn and repainted versions of his outfit. If they really couldn't recolor the helmet and jetpack they should've just gone for the worn look from Chapter 14.

Has anyone identified or been able to translate the name of the 3rd Mandalorian in the Mandalorian Starfighter?

I'm definitley getting the Duel on Mandalore set, I really love the colours on the throne and it's a great way to get Maul and Ahsoka

After that I think the best set of the wave is the Mandalorian Starfighter, I'd have been all over that when I was younger - I love the darker colours and the 3 Mandalorians are all flawless. Here's hoping that Lego has seen how popular the Mandalorian battlepack has been and gives us a Mandalorian Civil War battlepack once the Mandalorian TV one is discontinued. 

All the other sets are good just none of them jump out at me as something truly special. I look forward to seeing the Forge but we might have to wait a while more for that one if it's an exclusive. 

Am I the only one annoyed that the Dark Trooper doesn't have some kind of droid body? The helmet mold is amazing though and does it use Wrecker's new armour piece? 

Yay! Bo-Katan is one of my up-and-coming favorite characters, so I'm pleased with the new Gauntlet fighter. Great figures are awesome, but a wonderful build is just *chef's kiss* :wub:. I did own the 2012 version (but it's long since been disassembled) so it'll be nice seeing how the builds stack up.

And long have I waited for an Arquitens light cruiser! Yes, it bears Imperial "colors", but it's an easy mod into a Republic vehicle. The build is very nice, and the figure selection doesn't disappoint. Happy to see Fennec, but would've loved two Dark Troopers.

I don't own a Slave I, though the 2019 set is/was tempting. But I'll really want the new Boba, so I'll settle for this new one. It's funny to me that Mando's getting the Indiana Jones/Harry Potter treatment, being in almost all the sets, but it's kind of unavoidable.

The Trexler looks a tad wonky, but it's still pretty good. Wish we could've gotten the mortar trooper with the 2014-18 helmet, but oh well. (No, I wasn't expecting it to happen, it would just be nice to revert)

All in all? Well done Lego. :thumbup:

Now for that Gunship...