MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

12 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

So because you are not a prequel fan we shouldn't get the figures some of us are waiting for since 1999? 
Look at your profile picture of DC cmf,are those guys candidates for cmf series? Do you really think any child can name more than 4 characters? This is obvisouly aimed for a hardcore dc fans,same way star wars cmf should be aimed for.
Thousands of people search and want Wat Tambor figure,just search google trends worldwide from 2004-now,phrase Lego Wat Tambor is beating lego dodonna,lego wedge antilles,and half of your dc cmf figures from mr. miracle to metamorpho. 

Well that's a fair argument honestly.

But on the other hand, superheroes are a different kind of thing. Children don't really care how they are named - they just play with them because they are colourful and have superpowers. A series of random Star Wars aliens sounds kinda weaker, wouldn't you say?

Also, each one of those characters has it's own movie, series, or a comicbook run. They are standalone characters. Most of the "characters" the person who I replied to were probably supporting characters in a few The Clone Wars episodes.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

@Kim-Kwang-Seok: Has someone hacked into your account or something? :snicker:

@Graupensuppe: Some of the characters on that list definitely deserve minifigs, others certainly less so. Who on Earth cares enough about Sio Bibble or Sleazebeggano to warrant minifigs? Granted, that death stick interaction is funny, but not enough to justify a minifig :tongue:

EXACTLY. Not every random alien or naboo bureaucrat needs a figure.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

So because you are not a prequel fan we shouldn't get the figures some of us are waiting for since 1999? 
Look at your profile picture of DC cmf,are those guys candidates for cmf series? Do you really think any child can name more than 4 characters? This is obvisouly aimed for a hardcore dc fans,same way star wars cmf should be aimed for.
Thousands of people search and want Wat Tambor figure,just search google trends worldwide from 2004-now,phrase Lego Wat Tambor is beating lego dodonna,lego wedge antilles,and half of your dc cmf figures from mr. miracle to metamorpho. 

Wat Tambor is an outlier. More importantly, google trends doesn't really work for this at all, and comparing star wars to superheroes doesn't work well either. First off, google trends. Seriously, it really doesn't work here. Wat tambor shows searches coming up, but the majority of the listed characters @Graupensuppe states don't show up at all when you search "lego (character name)". Even characters that have seen large amounts of interest on this forum, such as "lego nien numb" and "lego 212th clone trooper", don't show up at all. So I don't think that works all that well. In addition, superhero themes are much more figure-driven than star wars. The vehicles and locations in superhero themes aren't nearly as much of a draw as the figures. Other posts have covered this more extensively, so I'll leave it there.

Overall, there's some figures that we really should have gotten by now (Nien Numb, p2 cody, wat tambor, TROS palpatine, Saw Guerrera, Dryden Vos, etc), and some that are completely reasonable (half the separatist council, Sio Bibble, Half the rebel pilots). It's not really tied to a specific trilogy, though the prequels may seem a bit more underused because they tend to have more alien designs. Ironically, this works against them, as they'd require new molds to be done well, and, lego doesn't want to use new molds on characters as obscure as, say,  shu mai or yakface.

I can understand not wanting a Star Wars CMF. Preferences exist. But I don't know how it would not be profitable for Lego. It wouldn't be a group of obscure characters. It could even bring in folks who think Lego is too expensive but would pay 5 bucks for a minifig. Then they buy a $20 set. Next thing they know there's a room full of em. Every drug dealer knows a little taste is how it starts.

As for the "would kids recognize these characters" argument, most kids would recognize Star Wars characters better than Looney Tunes characters.

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

EXACTLY. Not every random alien or naboo bureaucrat needs a figure.

Wat Tambor is an outlier. More importantly, google trends doesn't really work for this at all, and comparing star wars to superheroes doesn't work well either. First off, google trends. Seriously, it really doesn't work here. Wat tambor shows searches coming up, but the majority of the listed characters @Graupensuppe states don't show up at all when you search "lego (character name)". Even characters that have seen large amounts of interest on this forum, such as "lego nien numb" and "lego 212th clone trooper", don't show up at all. So I don't think that works all that well. In addition, superhero themes are much more figure-driven than star wars. The vehicles and locations in superhero themes aren't nearly as much of a draw as the figures. Other posts have covered this more extensively, so I'll leave it there.

Overall, there's some figures that we really should have gotten by now (Nien Numb, p2 cody, wat tambor, TROS palpatine, Saw Guerrera, Dryden Vos, etc), and some that are completely reasonable (half the separatist council, Sio Bibble, Half the rebel pilots). It's not really tied to a specific trilogy, though the prequels may seem a bit more underused because they tend to have more alien designs. Ironically, this works against them, as they'd require new molds to be done well, and, lego doesn't want to use new molds on characters as obscure as, say,  shu mai or yakface.

No man. You proof that you are not a true fan and hate Star Wars as well as dogs if you don't want Chewbaccas canon grandfather (grumpy) and his wife in the UCS "Chewbaccas home-tree" set.

Seriously I stop my sarcasm now: there is a market. And I think many weird things from the OT are sellable. You have to put into context maybe the impact those movies had and still have.

And I get many here grew up with the prequels and feel the same about them. But there is a line. I think Lego putting Dondana (old beard guy from background scene) in a set is the best (hardcore) fan service that we can expect. And this already feels pretty weird - Dondana is not an intersting looking alien or something, which kids can use to fight against with their "hero" figure.

The prequels - subjectivity aside - are controversial movies, with much less impact (huge impact indeed but no comparison to the OT). So Lego might refrain from putting a lot of money into such fanservice.

The Gungan king guy - problematic because it needs a big old mold but yeah, not so irrelevent for the movie. no-dress Padme, any Padme or the Anakin mother - kind of sad we almost never got them. But yeah; Lego makes what they think sells. Which is  Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, clones, droids - and apparently even Jar jar. So if we don't even get Padme - who the **** would expect the death sticks guy?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The other thing, someone cited a LSW Reddit thread about Wat Tambor, when that board seems, to me at least, to mostly be made up of younger builders that only want prequel stuff.  I have no problem with wanting more prequel stuff, but of course that specific example is going to be wanting more prequel minifigures.  I've already seen people complaining on there about the figures in the UCS Gunship, for example.

Do I think there's some prequel characters that need to be made?  Absolutely - P2 Cody, Shmi Skywalker, Boss Nass (seriously, the Spongebob fish head mold would work so well for him, in my opinion), Captain Typho, some additional outfits for Padme and Palpatine - those would all be great.  However, I don't really feel like some of the other random background characters warrant figures in the same way.  Yes, we've gotten some super minor OT background characters (some of the pilots, General Dodonna, Toryn Farr, General Riekann, Mon Mothma, Crix Madine, etc), but a lot of them were either included in sets that are UCS/MBS or were just billed as "Rebel Soldier" or "X-Wing Pilot" or whatever, in the same way that the Naboo N-1 starfighter doesn't name a pilot specifically.  But, some of the characters people were listing were on par with random Jabba's Palace background aliens or Imperial Officers that aren't Tarkin/Piett/Veers.

Many of the background characters that we have gotten (the bounty hunters, cantina aliens, Jabba's palace aliens) are extremely iconic and popular.  Not everyone may know who Dengar or Bossk is specifically, but I feel like someone that isn't a hardcore SW fan could probably place them better than, say, Shu Mai, or whoever.  

I do agree that the prequels have gotten the short end of the stick in some regards when it comes to background characters, but I also feel like a lot of people are overestimating how well known/popular the background characters actually are.  Of course, a P2 Cody or Boss Nass would be a lot more requested on average than General Dodonna, but part of the issue with some prequel characters is that there's fewer sets that are a natural fit for them.  Most of the OT background characters are easy enough to toss in with a vehicle - Uncle Owen with the Sandcrawler, Dodonna with the X-Wing , [Insert whichever Rebel pilot here] with a Y-Wing, and so on. 

Boss Nass is easy enough to throw into a Naboo set, they should put Shmi into the next Podracing set, P2 Cody still makes no sense considering how easy it'd be to toss him into literally any Utapau set, but Palpatine isn't really in any action scenes other than the opening of ROTS, which we did already get for him.  Same with Jocasta Nu, or Sleazbaggo, or Dexter Jettster, or Valorum, or even most of the Separatist Council (you can probably toss one into a set, and that's likely to end up being Nute Gunray because most people know who he is).

Sorry, I didn't intend for this post to be so long, just voicing my thoughts.  And again, I do think some of the complaints are justified, but I also feel like some of the characters people are requesting are just way too niche.  If there were to be a CMF series, putting in too many obscure characters might cause you run into potential issues that the DC one (allegedly) faced, where it didn't sell well, which I'd imagine in part was because casual fans had never heard of most of the characters in the set.  

3 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

No man. You proof that you are not a true fan and hate Star Wars as well as dogs if you don't want Chewbaccas canon grandfather (grumpy) and his wife in the UCS "Chewbaccas home-tree" set.

Hey no I unironically want this

58 minutes ago, ood0 said:

I unironically want a Bea Arthur lego minifigure from the Holiday Special. 

1 hour ago, ood0 said:

I didn't believe it was as bad as everyone said it was, so I tried to watch it on youtube, but I couldn't get past the part when Chewie's grandpa watches VR ... uh, content, in the middle of his family's home during life day? :laugh: Holiday special was weird, man.

All jokes aside, Lego knows what'll sell and what won't, for the most part. There are definitely exceptions (Nien Numb, Saw Gerrera, p2 Cody, Wat Tambor...), but we were never gonna get san hill or shu mai in a set.

In an attempt to get slightly back on-topic, everyone saw that maul leak a few days ago, right? I'm just glad the weird smile is gone, but the leg print is great as well.

16 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I didn't believe it was as bad as everyone said it was, so I tried to watch it on youtube, but I couldn't get past the part when Chewie's grandpa watches VR ... uh, content, in the middle of his family's home during life day? :laugh: Holiday special was weird, man.

All jokes aside, Lego knows what'll sell and what won't, for the most part. There are definitely exceptions (Nien Numb, Saw Gerrera, p2 Cody, Wat Tambor...), but we were never gonna get san hill or shu mai in a set.

In an attempt to get slightly back on-topic, everyone saw that maul leak a few days ago, right? I'm just glad the weird smile is gone, but the leg print is great as well.

I watched it about a year ago...the pandemic, man :laugh:.  I will say, it actually gets more watchable about halfway through, there's a cartoon part that's decent and then the second half at least has some action happening, whereas the first half contains things like "Watching Chewbacca's family sit and talk to each other in Wookiee language for ten minutes" or classic lines such as "I don't like fish." :tongue:

In regards to that Maul leak, does anyone know if the saber was correct that he had?  The leak gave him a normal lightsaber piece, which would seem strange since they already have a piece that would work perfectly for a double-bladed one.  I feel like it might be the person who took the picture giving him the wrong lightsaber.  At least, I hope so.

6 hours ago, Utinni Utinni said:

I can understand not wanting a Star Wars CMF. Preferences exist. But I don't know how it would not be profitable for Lego. It wouldn't be a group of obscure characters. It could even bring in folks who think Lego is too expensive but would pay 5 bucks for a minifig. Then they buy a $20 set. Next thing they know there's a room full of em. Every drug dealer knows a little taste is how it starts.

As for the "would kids recognize these characters" argument, most kids would recognize Star Wars characters better than Looney Tunes characters.

I think the question isn't 'would it be profitable' - it almost certainly would. The question is 'would it be significantly more profitable than the current status quo', and the answer to that is probably no. A CMF means more new moulds, more time out of the production line and, consequently, fewer actual Star Wars sets - if a CMF does happen, I would expect the number of sets to reduce, as LSW does not have an infinite budget. There's no reason for LEGO to go through all that effort, time and money changing things up for the sake of a miniscule margin increase.

The other thing is how it's executed. Just from the suggestions on EB, would it be for background characters or main ones? Variants or the iconic looks? Army-building or more diverse species? Prequels, OT, sequels, animated shows, D+, a combination of the above? Trying to sift all that down to 12 minifigures is a nightmare. The very fact that we're arguing about it here (and keep doing so every time the sliver of a rumour is mentioned) goes to show it's not quite a license to print money.

46 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

In regards to that Maul leak, does anyone know if the saber was correct that he had?  The leak gave him a normal lightsaber piece, which would seem strange since they already have a piece that would work perfectly for a double-bladed one.  I feel like it might be the person who took the picture giving him the wrong lightsaber.  At least, I hope so.

I don't expect they'll change it in all honesty. At minifigure hand scale the lightsabres are colossal anyway, so I don't think it's a significant enough difference to warrant a change (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). It would be nice if they did for accuracy's sake but I'm not holding my breath.

21 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I think the question isn't 'would it be profitable' - it almost certainly would. The question is 'would it be significantly more profitable than the current status quo', and the answer to that is probably no. A CMF means more new moulds, more time out of the production line and, consequently, fewer actual Star Wars sets - if a CMF does happen, I would expect the number of sets to reduce, as LSW does not have an infinite budget. There's no reason for LEGO to go through all that effort, time and money changing things up for the sake of a miniscule margin increase.

The other thing is how it's executed. Just from the suggestions on EB, would it be for background characters or main ones? Variants or the iconic looks? Army-building or more diverse species? Prequels, OT, sequels, animated shows, D+, a combination of the above? Trying to sift all that down to 12 minifigures is a nightmare. The very fact that we're arguing about it here (and keep doing so every time the sliver of a rumour is mentioned) goes to show it's not quite a license to print money.

I think your overstating the impact a CMF series would have on the general production and understating the profit. If they weren't profitable enough they wouldn't be done for any line. And is every set a winner? No. I would bet most people who would buy Star Wars Lego would get at least some of the CMF and that's probably not true for most Star Wars sets.

Choosing a CMF series isn't hardly as difficult as you are making it seem. The difficulties stated just sounds like normal business practice.  It's also not like they can't have more than 1 series. Pick a movie or trilogy and make a CMF series out of it then move onto another once that production has run its course. 

And people argue about everything. 

And the new Maul looks great.

11 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I watched it about a year ago...the pandemic, man :laugh:.  I will say, it actually gets more watchable about halfway through, there's a cartoon part that's decent and then the second half at least has some action happening, whereas the first half contains things like "Watching Chewbacca's family sit and talk to each other in Wookiee language for ten minutes" or classic lines such as "I don't like fish." :tongue:

I have no info regarding the set but leaked minifigs often have incorrect or missing accessories, so it's definitely possible that it's just a lightsaber that the leaker already had/put together with spare parts. I really hope they use that new piece for him.

I‘ve been looking through some old pictures and screenshots on my phone and I‘ve noticed that last year‘s 2HY range was leaked on June 1st (a lot earlier than I remembered) :excited: Any chance something similar might happen this year or was that just an outlier? After all, consumer catalogues very rarely contain images that haven‘t already leaked or been officially revealed

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

23 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘ve been looking through some old pictures and screenshots on my phone and I‘ve noticed that last year‘s 2HY range was leaked on June 1st (a lot earlier than I remembered) :excited: Any chance something similar might happen this year or was that just an outlier? After all, consumer catalogues very rarely contain images that haven‘t already leaked or been officially revealed

It definitely does seem as though this year has been late for leaks.  We had the Maul figure leak and the Bad Batch Shuttle leak a few days before it was revealed, but's it unless I'm forgetting something.  I think by this time last year, we'd have the Grievous shuttle leak (which was definitely an outlier, considering that a pic popped up in like February), plus official reveals of the Razor Crest, 501st Troopers, and AT-AT.  I'm hoping we at least get something soon (honestly I'm most curious about the Slave I and Mandalorian Forge, plus the figures in Gideon's cruiser, I feel like most everything else is going to be relatively straightforward in terms of appearance).

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I think so.

August sets usually leak pretty early compared to June sets, even a month earlier. I think we'll start getting some leaks in coming weeks tbh.

There appears to be a leaked catalog page showing some Technic sets in pretty good quality as well. If the catalogs are starting to show up in the wild, could this mean we will be seeing pictures sooner rather than later?

15 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

looking forward to the inevitable comments here about not buying the set just because of the inaccurate darth maul lightsaber

1 minute ago, AIex said:

looking forward to the inevitable comments here about not buying the set just because of the inaccurate darth maul lightsaber

incoming “OnLy ThE bEsT iS gOoD eNoUgH” I won’t be buying it but I never wanted it either way lmao

Has anyone noticed the BB shuttle BARC speeder is slightly different from the 501st one? The triangle part at the front is 2 pieces instead of 1, the landing gear type pieces on the sides are different and the back has no guns.

4 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

baby ranchor.

Kim, please keep things on topic and relevant.

19 hours ago, Stefanisimo said:

There appears to be a leaked catalog page showing some Technic sets in pretty good quality as well. If the catalogs are starting to show up in the wild, could this mean we will be seeing pictures sooner rather than later?

I would hope so. There have been some prelims for a while, given that MandR and others specifically said they were looking at images. I imagine they’re in that catalog featuring the Technic sets as well. 

Solid Brix just dropped a video based on an exclusive interview with Lego SW designers. 

As for this year's releases, Gunship info will drop mid-summer.

Edited by Utinni Utinni

12 minutes ago, Utinni Utinni said:

Solid Brix just dropped a video based on an exclusive interview with Lego SW designers. 

It’s only 5 minutes long so probably worth the watch but here’s the TLDW

1) Battle Packs are coming in the future. No specifics as to when only that they’re not dead.

2) LEGO does not look at aftermarket prices of minifigures to determine what figures to make, instead working from the questions “Have we done it before? If yes, how can we make it better?”

3) Gunship info coming specifically “mid summer”, speculated be July or August

my thoughts:

1) duh. Glad this argument can finally be laid to rest. They were a staple of the lineup for 14 years and the current ones are clearly selling well, they were never going anywhere 

2) Probably the biggest news from this. Maybe having heard that question they will take note of the ludicrous prices of some figures and reproduce them. Really hope the designers take this one to heart and do something about it. Anything to shaft those selfish money hungry POS who decide to send a figure “to the moon” by buying literally all the stock available. 

3) just confirmation of what we already knew. I get why they don’t show photos but they could at least tell us the price of the set in the different markets, this interview would’ve been a perfect opportunity to do that. Would love to be able to accurately budget these things ahead of time instead of working off of uncertain conversions of rumoured American prices.

40 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

3) Gunship info coming specifically “mid summer”, speculated be July or August

my thoughts:

3) just confirmation of what we already knew. I get why they don’t show photos but they could at least tell us the price of the set in the different markets, this interview would’ve been a perfect opportunity to do that. Would love to be able to accurately budget these things ahead of time instead of working off of uncertain conversions of rumoured American prices.

If this is the case, wouldn't that mean we could expect the AT-AT to be released sometime probably late in the Fall, or is it just the info of the Gunship that would be releasing Mid-Summer? I always have been under the impression that a UCS info release is shortly before the actual release.