MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

21 minutes ago, Childish_Landino said:

75296 has been heavily implied to be the Vader's Meditation Chamber. Branded 18+, ~$69.99, 663 pieces (via Promobricks)

75319 is still the mystery $30 set. 

I have heard some other reputable leakers state that a set using the number 75369 (originally stated to be Vader's Chambers) is still coming this year. 

I'd be curious if Vader's Meditation Chamber would be a SDCC exclusive set? Could this explain the mix up? 

1 hour ago, Prometheus87 said:

I'd be curious if Vader's Meditation Chamber would be a SDCC exclusive set? Could this explain the mix up? 

I don't think so. 2020 was a one-time thing, since they already had the sets produced when SDCC got canceled. For this one, I think that they'd have been smart enough to wait before producing them, especially since SDCC 2021 was confirmed to be not happening SUPER early on. Combine this with how far back it's been rumored (from what I remember SDCC sets don't really get leaked, again with 2020 as an exception due to retail sales of them), and I think it's pretty unlikely that it's an SDCC set.

1 hour ago, Childish_Landino said:

75296 has been heavily implied to be the Vader's Meditation Chamber. Branded 18+, ~$69.99, 663 pieces (via Promobricks)

I have heard some other reputable leakers state that a set using the number 75369 (originally stated to be Vader's Chambers) is still coming this year. 

This reminds me of last year. Speculation that certain sets were cancelled, all doom and gloom, and then the reliable sources come along and clarify there's actually MORE sets possibly coming.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think so. 2020 was a one-time thing, since they already had the sets produced when SDCC got canceled. For this one, I think that they'd have been smart enough to wait before producing them, especially since SDCC 2021 was confirmed to be not happening SUPER early on. Combine this with how far back it's been rumored (from what I remember SDCC sets don't really get leaked, again with 2020 as an exception due to retail sales of them), and I think it's pretty unlikely that it's an SDCC set.

This reminds me of last year. Speculation that certain sets were cancelled, all doom and gloom, and then the reliable sources come along and clarify there's actually MORE sets possibly coming.

I hope this is the case. I've been reading isolated comments here and there that the 75313 UCS AT-AT isn't in the cards for this year, too. Hopefully they're wrong and we actually get this and more sets.

Edited by mirkwoodspiders
wrong set number

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Umm... the sets that were "speculated" to be cancelled were in fact cancelled. And, we got far fewer System sets than in previous years, which was the impetus for the "doom and gloom". Yes, there were one or two retail exclusives whose identities weren't publicly known in advance, but this is true most years... The one saving grace was the Cantina... but even with it, I doubt there are many who would call 2020 a banner year.

15 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I've been working on the assumption it is anyway. A lot of the set lists have been kind of ambiguous on those two sets, and the contents definitely don't scream $70 based on what we've heard so far. If anyone with more info knows please smite me down and correct me!

I smite you down good sir. The only list that matters is not ambiguous. 

5 hours ago, MandRproductions said:

Alright, against my better judgement I’ll bite. Are you going to tell us what it is or are you just going to keep adding fuel to the mindless speculation fire by dangling it over our heads like you would keys with a baby?

Edited by Brikkyy13

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

When do we reckon pictures will leak? (Official Bad Batch probably May 4th but about the rest of the wave?) 

Late June to Mid-July seems to be the prevailing theory based on previous years but with BB on May 4 who knows if that changed things. Doubt it tho.  

19 hours ago, Childish_Landino said:

Hm, well that's nice to hear! The more the merrier.

21 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

Late June to Mid-July seems to be the prevailing theory based on previous years but with BB on May 4 who knows if that changed things. Doubt it tho.  

I just hope that the Bad Batch leak didn't cause them to tighten up the valves so we don't get to see the pictures until shortly before their release date. 

7 hours ago, MandRproductions said:

Spill the beans & let us know then. :classic:

Brick vault edited the shuttle to be dark grey and it honestly looks a lot better.  Should be an easy mod, plus you get a bunch of sand blue bricks out of changing it over.

21 minutes ago, ood0 said:

Brick vault edited the shuttle to be dark grey and it honestly looks a lot better.  Should be an easy mod, plus you get a bunch of sand blue bricks out of changing it over.

Question’s gonna be how much more that’s gonna set you back. Honestly if they’d made it a bit bigger and had both (presumably) paint jobs and made it 120-150 I wouldn’t have complained. As it stands it simultaneously grows on and disgusts me more every time I look at it. 

12 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I doubt there are many who would call 2020 a banner year.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but 2020 was the best year for Lego Star Wars in my eyes, or at least since I started collecting. (Around the time TFA came out.) There were certainly flaws to be found with what Lego put out last year, but I think the good outweighed the bad. The UCS A-Wing and MBS Cantina were things that fans had wanted for a while and both were great looking sets. Lego made almost everything left to be made from TROS, aside from an Exegol play set, and we got a complete collection of Knights of Ren out of it. The summer wave was a perfect balance between sets based off off each trilogy, TCW, Mandalorian and even more obscure properties, like the IT-S Transport from Galaxy’s Edge. (Which is a stellar model and the most overlooked set that came out last year in my opinion.) 

As for the Havoc Marauder discussion, I think sand blue is a passable color scheme. Depending on the image or scene you’re looking at, it looks more sand blue than gray, and like it’s been said before, it might be getting a paint job in this new show. Personally, I like that we’re getting a big ship that’s not another bland variation of black or gray, and my problems with the set are with the build itself, the sticker cockpit and the fact that I think the speeders should have been included in their own set.

Edited by The Stud

2 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

We got pictures from catalog on June 4, and on June 17 we got all the official puctures. 

48 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but 2020 was the best year for Lego Star Wars in my eyes, or at least since I started collecting. (Around the time TFA came out.) There were certainly flaws to be found with what Lego put out last year, but I think the good outweighed the bad. The UCS A-Wing and MBS Cantina were things that fans had wanted for a while and both were great looking sets. Lego made almost everything left to be made from TROS, aside from an Exegol play set, and we got a complete collection of Knights of Ren out of it. The summer wave was a perfect balance between sets based off off each trilogy, TCW, Mandalorian and even more obscure properties, like the IT-S Transport from Galaxy’s Edge. (Which is a stellar model and the most overlooked set that came out last year in my opinion.) 

I agree, the January wave was pretty solid in my opinion too.  We got the Mustafar duel, which had only been represented in set form twice before (once as two of the floaty platforms included in Anakin's starfighter, the last time we got a real rendition of the duel was 15 years ago), Obi-Wan's hut was the first representation of that set, and the Mandalorian Battle Pack was great.  My only real complaint with the summer wave was the price of Grievous' starfighter.  I will admit, if the Cantina hadn't come out, I probably would've been less excited about the year as a whole, but it was still a fairly diverse wave overall, with a nice mix of popular stuff being re-released and some more obscure vehicles.

We’ve been so used to mediocrity in the last few years, that the summer 2020 wave was amazing. It was a positive step, but nowhere near the golden ages. 

17 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

We’ve been so used to mediocrity in the last few years, that the summer 2020 wave was amazing. It was a positive step, but nowhere near the golden ages. 

What would the golden ages be?

23 minutes ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Well that's a very subjective idea, but I think the general consensus is around 2011-14. The era of Jabba's Palace, Sail Barge, Republic Gunship, AT-TE, Palpatine's Arrests etc.

Just expanding on what @BacktoBricks said, the early 2010s seem to generally be agreed upon as one of the best eras, for a few reasons.

1) SW wasn't regularly producing as much new content, and the stuff that was coming out, with the exception of Rebels in 2014, wasn't the main focus for the sets.  So, in 2015 most of the sets were TFA focused, in 2016 it was the same with RO, 2017 with TLJ, 2018 with Solo, and so on.  For those that were fans of the movies, it was obviously good, but if you were more interested in sets from the prequels or OT (not counting very common remakes like Jedi Starfighters or Snowspeeders and stuff), that kind of stuff was put on the back burner.  FWIW, I think a lot of those waves were very good too, but they were just wayyy less diverse.  Conversely, in the early 2010s, with less new content, waves would be split between different properties.  We did get stuff like a big AOTC wave in 2013, or some TCW waves in 2012 or so, but the waves were also a bit larger, so they could still include other stuff from the OT.  

2) LEGO's building techniques at that point had found a really good, happy medium between simple enough to be fun to put together yet attractive visually.  I absolutely adore some of the early 2000s SW stuff, but most sets from 1999 until around 2005 or so definitely don't hold up visually to anything produced after that era.  They started to produce more and more specialized parts and colors in the mid-late 2000s, and by the early 2010s, it seems like they had just sort of found their stride as far as attractive usage of such pieces.  Sets in like 2016-2019, at times, almost got too large and complex.  X-Wings were running close to $90, the Slave I went from a reliably $50-60 ship to $120, Grievous' starfighter went from a $50 model to $80, and so on.  Inflation is part of that, but the size and complexity of sets just went up drastically, at times unnecessarily. 

On top of that, we also started to get a lot more updated versions of figures.  As much as I love the original Boba Fett figure, the new one (I still call it new, even though it's like a decade old at this point, :laugh:) is just so much more accurate. 

3) For the most part, they found a really happy medium between remakes and new stuff as far as set content.  Most of the remakes were also highly requested and major improvements, like Jabba's Palace or the Cantina.  Pretty much the only super-requested sets that didn't get remade in this era were a TIE Bomber, Yoda's Hut and Cloud City (though we eventually got 2/3 of those).  Part of the reason this sort of thing can't really occur as much is that most remakes now aren't really going to improve that much on their predecessors, because there's only so accurate you can make a set that's sellable.  Plus, there's also fewer vehicles/locations from older content that both haven't been made and is actually feasible as a set.  From the OT, it's basically just the Lars Homestead, Yavin IV, and the Nebulon B.  There's more for the PT, but realistically there's still not a ton that's doable as a set (stuff like the Trade Federation Landing Craft, in my opinion, is just way too big to actually sell well).  

I do think there's some stuff that's a lot better today, like the UCS and especially MBS series (a $350 Cantina or Cloud City would've been a pipe dream at that time), but it was a great era to collect overall.

45 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Well that's a very subjective idea, but I think the general consensus is around 2011-14. The era of Jabba's Palace, Sail Barge, Republic Gunship, AT-TE, Palpatine's Arrests etc.

Yes, I can see that as being the Golden Period - Everything was nice back then and we didn't have diminutive TIE Fighters. 

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Alright, against my better judgement I’ll bite. Are you going to tell us what it is or are you just going to keep adding fuel to the mindless speculation fire by dangling it over our heads like you would keys with a baby?

4 hours ago, Sarah_H7744 said:

Spill the beans & let us know then. :classic:

Guys, if MandR wants to share something he will. Pestering him will not get us more info. You don't have to agree with his timing on sharing details. But if you pester he will not have a reason to share anything.

I have to disagree with the consensus here, 2020 was one of the worst years for LEGO Star Wars in recent memory. To start with the number of sets overall was quite low, not much choice anymore. I’ll preface the rest of this by saying that this has nothing to do with the amount of rereleases, of which there were many, as I think rereleases are necessary for the theme to stay relevant. This isn’t to say there wasn’t good last year, I just think the bad overshadows the good. The introduction of the helmet line was nice and both the AT-AT and Razor Crest are great sets... but they’re far too expensive to be accessible to most customers. IMO the best set of the year was 75265, and that speaks volumes for the rest of the releases.

People are quick to point out that the collectors got a lot of what we wanted last year, a lot of sets that we as a community have asked for for years, but I say it was half baked. We finally got that UCS A-Wing, and while I loved building it it is very inaccurate for a UCS set. Obi-Wan’s hut was $45 for a tiny beige box with no substance outside of the Leia hologram and I still question the necessity of a $530 cantina when the $100 set from 2014 would’ve been enough had they not blown a decent portion of the part count on Luke’s Landspeeder (of which we got yet another one of in 2020, only this time with Poncho Luke to try and drive sales to our niche of the market). It kinda feels like LEGO gave the collectors a big middle finger last year with arguably the two most requested sets of all time. Of course there was the 501st “battle pack”, annoying origins of the set aside it was clearly designed to take advantage of collectors (and it worked), they could’ve at least given us 2 more clones instead of the droids, or given us the green droids from the AAT, or even just more droids... come on lego we know those battle droids cost next to nothing to produce or otherwise they wouldn’t show up in sets 20 at a time. It’s really disheartening to see sets like 71708 at the same price point with 10 minifigures. Had the BARC and ATRT actually been to scale with the figures there would’ve been enough plastic for that many clones, and since they’d be producing that many of the same figure it would be cheaper for them. But the real kick in the crotch was the Bespin Duel, a set that’s been at the top of a lot of people’s wishlist since 1999. We finally got that set and it was a goddamn convention exclusive, and thus inaccessible to almost everyone. And when the convention was cancelled it became a region exclusive, back-pedalling on a promise LEGO made months prior. The Nebulon B is in the same boat as Bespin duel, but to a lesser extent as I think most collectors would rather a larger model of the ship.

Of course there were all the ludicrously overpriced sets like the Sith TIE, Grievous fighter, AAT and Knights of Ren ship, but there’s still more sets that need to be called out. D-0 was the biggest missed opportunity of the year, had he been to scale with R2 and BB-8 it would’ve been a slam dunk. Now he just rots on the clearance shelf. The resistance transport is an absolute joke since the source material is a theme park that is inaccessible for the overwhelming majority of the population. And finally we have the 4+ snowspeeder. I have nothing against the 4+ banner, this is another one of those things I see as a necessity, I just think the snowspeeder was a truly terrible representation (much like the 4+ X-Wings). The whole idea of building the model around a massive brand new mould instead of a simple build with existing pieces is detrimental to the theme as a whole since we know they have a budget for new parts. If they weren’t wasting the money on moulding half a snowspeeder in one piece maybe we could finally get printed parts in the D2C sets, or maybe we could get R2D2’s third leg, or maybe they could fix the goddamn printing machines and give us R2 figures with straight lines. 

Want to talk about the golden age of LEGO Star Wars? 2008-2013, before the Disney buyout when the Clone Wars was running and we got brilliant sets that didn’t have inflated piece counts or prices. We got a lot of awesome minifigs in cheap sets (as opposed to the best figures being almost exclusively in $100+ sets these days) and an incredible selection of sets spanning both Star Wars eras. Shoutout to 2016 as well. I would say 2016 was the last “great” year, it’s all been downhill from there.

Edited by Brikkyy13

1 hour ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Basically the era just before Disney bought Lucasfilm. That Disney logo on the packaging quickly added $10 to each set.

The sets were good and we got new minifigures (Porkins, Jabba's Palace guests, Queen Amidala).

The trouble with new films and the merchandise that goes with them is that the film-makers have greater control over what gets made (partly to avoid spoilers). TFA had a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut that appeared in the first wave.

What is interesting with Disney is that they tend to release a film, the merchandise with it and then discard the film and never really revisit it again. For SW the OT is king, we see some new stuff relating to the PT, but ST (or spin-offs) will be rare.

4 hours ago, ood0 said:

Unless the cockpit is printed and not a sticker... Honestly I'd have to say it would have been better as all parts in either color, not a mix. If the parts exist in sand blue, I might change it over to that.

Regarding the best waves discussion:

I think the whole 2007-2016 time period was great for LSW. If I had to pick a specific year, 2016's rogue one sets were amazing and the earlier waves that year weren't half bad either. Likewise, 2008 was another banner year for the franchise. I think 2020 and early 2021 have given a lot of hope for the return of the "golden age". We got a good mix of all the eras, some amazing designs like the Razor Crest, and so many fan requests were/are being met. (501st battle pack, cheaper x-wing and tie fighter, UCS gunship, more prequel sets, etc). 

14 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

Basically the era just before Disney bought Lucasfilm. That Disney logo on the packaging quickly added $10 to each set.

The sets were good and we got new minifigures (Porkins, Jabba's Palace guests, Queen Amidala).

The trouble with new films and the merchandise that goes with them is that the film-makers have greater control over what gets made (partly to avoid spoilers). TFA had a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut that appeared in the first wave.

What is interesting with Disney is that they tend to release a film, the merchandise with it and then discard the film and never really revisit it again. For SW the OT is king, we see some new stuff relating to the PT, but ST (or spin-offs) will be rare.

It's not like lucasfilm didn't take merchandising fees. What happened around this time was that sets started using larger numbers of smaller pieces instead of smaller numbers of large plates, which changed the price. 

Second, literally all vehicles in the first TFA wave appeared in the film. The first order snowspeeder was only seen in the background, or you might be referring to inaccuracies in the shuttle design, but "a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut" is a massive exaggeration.

As for never revisiting films, that's more so due to just the amount of content coming out, and it's still not really true. (TFA in particular has been getting sets years past it's release) The problem is, when a new film was releasing every year, and now there'll be multiple shows a year, it's tough to make sets for everything, so lego chooses to make sets based off the most famous (and best selling) vehicles and locations from the older films rather than immediately revisist a film that just released. There were large gaps after the prequels released between their sets, too. It's easy to just attribute everything people don't like to disney, and while you can believe me that I hate that corporation (for reasons that don't belong in a LSW forum), they aren't responsible for every bad thing to ever happen to star wars.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

10 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I have to disagree with the consensus here, 2020 was one of the worst years for LEGO Star Wars in recent memory. To start with the number of sets overall was quite low, not much choice anymore.

I disagree with almost everything you've said, but this is the only point that I want to push back against in detail. 2020 had 27 'normal' sets (ie, not counting polybags or the limited-release things like the Nebulon-B). That's as many or more than any year in the 'golden age' people have been talking about except 2014 (29), which had two more microfighters (and if you count the polybags and exclusives 2020 would be in the lead again). Yes, 2020 had fewer sets than the couple of years before it, but they were the exceptions; 2015-2019 had more sets per year than any other period in the history of LEGO Star Wars, and 2020 was a return to the numbers we had in the period everybody's saying they loved.