MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

17 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

So there’s a chance it will be lower than $200 here given $US85 is about $111?

Very low. I think the last Star Wars GWP threshold was $250.

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The current rumors have said it's just five figures, the five bad batch members.

I agree, I don’t think it’s ever been implied to be more than five :classic: And I would gladly sacrifice a sixth figure for the team’s helmets :laugh:

14 hours ago, JekPorkchops said:

I haven't followed this topic for a while but is the Razor Crest set being discontinued?

It’s been really hard to find for a while which is why I brought it up, but yes there is a rumor it will be leaving by the end of the year. 

3 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I assume we still don't have any more info on the $30 set, except for the fact that it's probably a retail exclusive? Or do we have more information now? 

We know it's a retail exclusive and isn't a battle pack, Obi-Wan's starfighter or Cobb Vanth's speeder. That's basically all. 

4 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

We know it's a retail exclusive and isn't a battle pack, Obi-Wan's starfighter or Cobb Vanth's speeder. That's basically all. 

Okay. Thanks. With the emphasis on the Clone Wars and the Mandalorian this summer, it will certainly be interesting to see where this set falls source-wise. 

On a side note, by LEGO's usual patterns of set releases, aren't we due for a new MTT? 

15 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Okay. Thanks. With the emphasis on the Clone Wars and the Mandalorian this summer, it will certainly be interesting to see where this set falls source-wise. 

On a side note, by LEGO's usual patterns of set releases, aren't we due for a new MTT? 

I was sort of thinking that recently too, but I’ve noticed that when it comes to large clone wars ships, there is a pattern where it stops after the third one—Clone Turbo Tank—released in 2005, 2010, and 2015/16–we should have gotten one last year, but didn’t. Same with the At Te and Republic Gunship—2002/3, 2008, and 2013, so we should have gotten one in 2018 but we didn’t. If the MTT doesn’t come out this year, then we have 2000, 2007, 2014, but none this year.

Edited by Brickroll

3 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

I was sort of thinking that recently too, but I’ve noticed that when it comes to large clone wars ships, there is a pattern where it stops after the third one—Clone Turbo Tank—released in 2005, 2010, and 2015/16–we should have gotten one last year, but didn’t. Same with the At Te and Republic Gunship—2002/3, 2008, and 2013, so we should have gotten one in 2018 but we didn’t. If the MTT doesn’t come out this year, then we have 2000, 2007, 2014, but none this year.

I've never really noticed the pattern of stopping after the third iteration before. That's rather unfortunate. Though with the AT-TE we did end up getting Captain Rex's AT-TE in 2016 (?), as much as that wasn't a regular AT-TE design.

31 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I think (just my own thoughts) that the patterns are coincidence and not something to expect? I would love a new MTT, but not put much stock in patterns (or seemingly patterns). 

11 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

I think (just my own thoughts) that the patterns are coincidence and not something to expect? I would love a new MTT, but not put much stock in patterns (or seemingly patterns). 

I honestly don't know. The consistency (of sorts) with it all kinda made it seem intentional, but I honestly think that the new movies may have severely offset these patterns as LEGO tried to balance sequel trilogy/anthology film sets with releasing sets based on popular OT themes, leaving these kinds of PT sets in the dust. 

4 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I honestly don't know. The consistency (of sorts) with it all kinda made it seem intentional, but I honestly think that the new movies may have severely offset these patterns as LEGO tried to balance sequel trilogy/anthology film sets with releasing sets based on popular OT themes, leaving these kinds of PT sets in the dust. 

That's very fair and a good point. Either way, I hope more attention on PT (but still a somewhat balanced approach where we aren't inundated with PT sets). Kinda like what Summer 2020 was and 2021 is shaping up to be based on rumors. 

1 minute ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

That's very fair and a good point. Either way, I hope more attention on PT (but still a somewhat balanced approach where we aren't inundated with PT sets). Kinda like what Summer 2020 was and 2021 is shaping up to be based on rumors. 

Yeah. I appreciated the Summer 2020 wave in terms of it's mixture of Mandolorian, PT, OT, and CW sets, and getting more waves, or even just years as a whole, of that would be good. It seems like LEGO is currently taking a break with ST sets for the moment, at least primarily, so I hope they can get in some good waves with the other movies as the focus for a little bit. There were some really good OT and PT sets in the midst of the new movie sets, but as a fan of more of the OT/PT designs, I would love to see a bit more focus on those than on the ST sets (as good as some of them were). 

24 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Yeah. I appreciated the Summer 2020 wave in terms of it's mixture of Mandolorian, PT, OT, and CW sets, and getting more waves, or even just years as a whole, of that would be good. It seems like LEGO is currently taking a break with ST sets for the moment, at least primarily, so I hope they can get in some good waves with the other movies as the focus for a little bit. There were some really good OT and PT sets in the midst of the new movie sets, but as a fan of more of the OT/PT designs, I would love to see a bit more focus on those than on the ST sets (as good as some of them were). 

PT needs better sets. So many things missing from those films let alone improved figures etc. The prequels are very relevant and always will be particularly in the context of the Clone Wars. I’d love an AOTC Anniversary wave but with this summer’s Clone Wars focus I doubt it and especially with Bad Batch coming to our screens. I think Lego is at their best when they get a good mix of sets in a wave like the 2020 summer wave! (Even though the KoR ship and the Grievous starfighter were characterised by poor decisions) 

Just now, ArrowBricks said:

PT needs better sets. So many things missing from those films let alone improved figures etc. The prequels are very relevant and always will be particularly in the context of the Clone Wars. I’d love an AOTC Anniversary wave but with this summer’s Clone Wars focus I doubt it and especially with Bad Batch coming to our screens. I think Lego is at their best when they get a good mix of sets in a wave like the 2020 summer wave! (Even though the KoR ship and the Grievous starfighter were characterised by poor decisions) 

I would agree that LEGO Star Wars is generally at its best when they have a good mix of sets (but especially when those sets are good as well - looking at you, KoR ship and Grievous Starfighter (which more had price issues than set quality issues)). As a fan of the OT and PT more than the sequel trilogy, I still look back at 2013-2014 fondly as far as set quality and variation. 

The PT definitely needs better sets though. I still feel that a lot of the PT sets from the past years have had strong quality; there have just been few of them. And there are so many sets from the PT that either have never been made or haven't been remade in years. 

I think the re-releases are mostly coincidental and due to the fact that there wasn't regularly produced new content.  

With the MTT, the first one coming out in 2000 was because TPM was still relevant and the set didn't make it on the initial wave, maybe because they didn't have concept art for it, or maybe weren't sure what role it would play in the film (plus I think most of the larger TPM sets didn't get released until 2000, if I'm remembering correctly).  In 2007, we got a small TPM wave, with the Naboo Starfighter, Sith Infiltrator, Jedi Cruiser, and MTT in the same year.  2014 was probably just because it was due for a re-release and there was nothing new being put out beyond Rebels, which seems to be one major example of a SW line not selling well.  Once the sequels + Mandalorian + TCW S7 and all came out, the large price point sets probably either went to sets based on those properties, or stuff that they want to have on shelves most of the time, like the Falcon.

The Gunship and AT-TE were similar, they came out in 2002 with the release of AOTC, came out in 2008 because the Clone Wars movie was released and they tied in there, and then 2013 just happened to be when they did the big AOTC wave.  Since then, I just don't know if there's been space in the lineups for two additional $100+ sets.

The Turbo Tank probably hasn't seen a release since 2015 for a similar reason, since it's a $100+ set and that price point was seemingly allotted to sets based on the newer movies.

I'm hoping now that there's a bit of a lull, we might finally get them again.  There's no new movies for a bit, and it seems like they don't always go for big sets from a TV show unless it's almost guaranteed to be a hit (the demand for the Razor Crest was there clearly, same with Gideon's Cruiser, I feel like the Bad Batch Shuttle and characters being previously introduced means that it should sell well), means that they may not go for $100+ sets from Kenobi or Andor right away, which might leave space for a Gunship or MTT in the lineup.

The huge influx of Prequel sets from 2011 - 2015 were likely a result of the planned 3D re-releases of the Star Wars movies; only TPM had the re-release in the end but it makes sense that Lego would have started putting sets into production a few years in advance.

13 hours ago, Brickroll said:

That's true...

3 hours ago, Ozkabot said:

The huge influx of Prequel sets from 2011 - 2015 were likely a result of the planned 3D re-releases of the Star Wars movies; only TPM had the re-release in the end but it makes sense that Lego would have started putting sets into production a few years in advance.

This was exactly the reason. Good times. I’d love to see what they could come up with again. 

5 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

This was exactly the reason. Good times. I’d love to see what they could come up with again. 

Would anyone want LEGO to follow a similar pattern to Harry Potter and make a summer wave for each movie (or couple of movies), giving us stronger, larger waves for each film with some needed remakes and potentially new sets? 

This would leave room for the spring waves to be a mixture sets while keeping the summers focused. 

11 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Would anyone want LEGO to follow a similar pattern to Harry Potter and make a summer wave for each movie (or couple of movies), giving us stronger, larger waves for each film with some needed remakes and potentially new sets? 

This would leave room for the spring waves to be a mixture sets while keeping the summers focused. 

Yeah, that would be great. I mean it would be kind of odd since we would only ever a set once every ten years or so, but it’s best when a wave plays off of itself—I mean, we don’t have anything to go against the At At, and the Razor Crest only has the At St to go against.

8 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Yeah, that would be great. I mean it would be kind of odd since we would only ever a set once every ten years or so, but it’s best when a wave plays off of itself—I mean, we don’t have anything to go against the At At, and the Razor Crest only has the At St to go against.

I'm honestly kinda surprised that no snowspeeders emerged alongside of the AT-AT, though I suppose the past snowspeeder was finishing up its shelf life at that time. 

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I won’t talk too much on this, as this thread certainly isn’t for such discussion, but such a format would be amazing but sadly it is unrealistic in the current climate of Star Wars. With all the new shows coming many of the larger future sets from such shows would be ignored as the winter and spring aren't meant for them. Plus the year for collecting would be too expensive for most if not all. If Star Wars was to become stale at some point for a fair few years then they could do this, but that won’t happen under Disney in this decade.  

Edited by ArrowBricks

2 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I'm honestly kinda surprised that no snowspeeders emerged alongside of the AT-AT, though I suppose the past snowspeeder was finishing up its shelf life at that time. 

With that price and piece count, they could easily include one in the build? Probably a stretch for a UCS, but for $800 I have no idea how big or what they have planned. It's quite the jump from there existing AT-AT's!

4 hours ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

With that price and piece count, they could easily include one in the build? Probably a stretch for a UCS, but for $800 I have no idea how big or what they have planned. It's quite the jump from there existing AT-AT's!

I was referring to the 2020 AT-AT set, but I could see LEGO potentially putting a snowspeeder in the UCS. It would hopefully let them create a more "UCS" quality system-scale version. Though CaveGod's MOC uses around 8000 parts (if I remember correctly) for a large-scale AT-AT, so I don't know how many pieces they would have left to create a snowspeeder after the main build, especially if they also have to accommodate for movable legs, which I believe CaveGod's AT-AT lacks (again, I could be wrong on that).