MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

22 minutes ago, Thebrickstandard said:

Solid Brix already has a Darth Vader helmet review up. And hello!

Thats depressing considering he asked fans what to review first and they overwhelmingly voted scout trooper and probe droid.

Did anyone review scout trooper helmet?

3 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Thats depressing considering he asked fans what to review first and they overwhelmingly voted scout trooper and probe droid.

Did anyone review scout trooper helmet?

Might be coming up since he just put up the Probe Droid review as well.

11 minutes ago, Thebrickstandard said:

Might be coming up since he just put up the Probe Droid review as well.

Will check it out,thank you.

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

LEGO has been bad with Aussie prices in the past but this is extortion. The scout trooper is cheaper than vader in other markets, why not Australia?

EDIT: Probe is $10 cheaper than Vader in the US too, so $120 for it makes no sense when the helmets are $90

You've got to be joking me. I said in the general forum that Lego hates Australians. This is proof. I am hoping there is some kind of mistake because otherwise it is nonsensical. The trooper helmets all appear teh same size so I would have been fine with the same prices, but to charge double the price on the probe droid is utterly ridiculous and a blatant rip off.

Apologies for ranting here but this has really decapitated my faith in TLGs goodwill.

32 minutes ago, that_lego_builder said:

I better go and check that out.

Thoughts on it? I think it looked better than expected up front, though from the side it still has that weird ultra happy anime look to it..

Just now, Thebrickstandard said:

Thoughts on it? I think it looked better than expected up front, though from the side it still has that weird ultra happy anime look to it..

HUH.

2 hours ago, Stuartn said:

You've got to be joking me. I said in the general forum that Lego hates Australians. This is proof. I am hoping there is some kind of mistake because otherwise it is nonsensical. The trooper helmets all appear teh same size so I would have been fine with the same prices, but to charge double the price on the probe droid is utterly ridiculous and a blatant rip off.

Apologies for ranting here but this has really decapitated my faith in TLGs goodwill.

The helmets aren’t the same size though, check out a comparison photo of the 5 Star Wars ones. The Scout is significantly smaller than the others and Vader is significantly larger. Agreed on the probe droid though, blatant rip off. I prefer the term “extortion,” the “x” makes it sound cool. Had they followed the pricing model from the other countries, Scout, Probe and Vader should’ve been something like $80, $90 and $100 respectively... much more in line with past releases. 

My faith in TLG has gone down the toilet recently too. I’ve been a customer for nearly 2 decades now, I’ve come to expect more from them. Honestly it was easier being an Aussie collector back when we could only get sets from Kmart, these days it’s starting to feel like more trouble than it’s worth. Makes me sad that they treat Aussie customers this way. LEGO’s financial reports prove that they know Australia has market potential, but they keep shafting us with higher prices and a lack of stock. Really seems like they think that they can open a couple of certified stores and call it a day. Nobody I know shops at the certified stores, you can get the same sets cheaper at other retailers, VIP points aren’t connected to s@h and they don’t usually get the s@h GWPs. 

9 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

My guess is they raised the prices on us because they know they’re not going to restock Australian stores after the one and only shipment sells out on day 1 and they want to maximise their profits. 

With most of the late 2019 wave disappearing off shelves never to return and the 501st/AAT sets never being seen in public, I'm pretty wary of snoozing on sets, but not looking forward to a situation where day 1 full retail is the only way of guaranteeing a purchase, especially at these prices. Hopefully it's just covid and supply levels will increase in the future, but that doesn't make the price gouging any better.

2 hours ago, Stuartn said:

The trooper helmets all appear teh same size so I would have been fine with the same prices, but to charge double the price on the probe droid is utterly ridiculous and a blatant rip off.

I can see someone at corporate saying 'Those helmets? They go for $90. And the buildable figures - all $120' without checking size, details, other region prices... I'd really like to see the Probe Droid next to Baby Yoda or D-O, it feels like they've lumped this new set in the same category and set the price purely on that alone.

8 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Had they followed the pricing model from the other countries, Scout, Probe and Vader should’ve been something like $80, $90 and $100 respectively... much more in line with past releases. 

Totally agree on those price. $60 usd for the probe is $80 aud, so say $90-$100 max to take in to account taxes and other things.

10 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Hopefully it's just covid and supply levels will increase in the future, but that doesn't make the price gouging any better.

I’ve definitely brought it up on here before, it’s not a covid thing. We’ve been having stock issues for years now, since around the time the LEGO movie came out and popularity exploded. What gets me worked up is that stores overseas have so much stock that sets are constantly on clearance, yet we never get a second shipment of most of those sets.

I’ve asked around about the 501st pack and AAT, the sets have definitely made their way down here, we’re just not getting isles full of them like the Americans. Store owners are letting their friends buy 20 at a time before they put them out to the public so most of the supply is going to the same small group of people. The leftover stock that is making it to shelves is being snapped up right away by people that check the stores every morning on their way to work. On that note, heard from a few people now that the 501st set has been marked as “not for reorder” at the certified stores and major retailers so we’re never going to see it on a shelf again in Australia. I really hope that my info is wrong about that. Our only hope to get the 501st set is s@h and it’s always out of stock. At least it’s not on the list of sets retiring this year, so maybe we’ll have a chance to get it.

I was really hoping the R2 would not be a major improvement, as I don't want to double dip, but after that tease, it looks like the smoother style is carried on throughout. (even though we can only see just the start of it) If that is the case, and the leg deployment is better there going to make it hard on me!

Damn you lego!

So is there any chance for the rest of this year, that we will get any interesting play sets, or the actual direction is only helmets , droids and a few UCS sets ?

The summer wave is rumored to be full of interesting playsets with good vehicles, good minifigures, and good prices. You can find a comprehensive list of the rumors on Promobricks, Stonewars, or Zusammengebaut. Those sites are all in German, but Google Translate makes them pretty readable in English.

10 minutes ago, DEAD1974 said:

So is there any chance for the rest of this year, that we will get any interesting play sets, or the actual direction is only helmets , droids and a few UCS sets ?

The news forum, pinned underneath this forum has a comprehensive list. The UCS, droids, Helmets and other d2c sets occupy the mid year before other UCS and system play sets.

According to popular opinion it is probably going to be one of the best waves since 2016 or maybe since 2013

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

My faith in TLG has gone down the toilet recently too. I’ve been a customer for nearly 2 decades now, I’ve come to expect more from them. Honestly it was easier being an Aussie collector back when we could only get sets from Kmart, these days it’s starting to feel like more trouble than it’s worth. Makes me sad that they treat Aussie customers this way. LEGO’s financial reports prove that they know Australia has market potential, but they keep shafting us with higher prices and a lack of stock. Really seems like they think that they can open a couple of certified stores and call it a day. Nobody I know shops at the certified stores, you can get the same sets cheaper at other retailers, VIP points aren’t connected to s@h and they don’t usually get the s@h GWPs. 

I agree, and I was only prepared for the scout trooper price simply because that’s what I was expecting, i’m disappointed nonetheless.

I remember when shopping at Kmart for LEGO would entail entering one or two fully stocked aisles on the back of wall of the store, with almost every set in the catalogue and a few others available.

Now, I have to launch an expedition through the party and fashion section, to find a desolate enclave, with shelves littered with the barest minimum of the least interesting sets in the most minute quantities, then you have to circumnavigate the store to find the checkout and spend endless hours trying to find the way in, before the security check at the door equivalent to that at an airport.

Then I look at the Suez Canal and I realise that someone’s had a worse day than I have.

8 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The helmets aren’t the same size though, check out a comparison photo of the 5 Star Wars ones. The Scout is significantly smaller than the others and Vader is significantly larger. Agreed on the probe droid though, blatant rip off. I prefer the term “extortion,” the “x” makes it sound cool. Had they followed the pricing model from the other countries, Scout, Probe and Vader should’ve been something like $80, $90 and $100 respectively... much more in line with past releases. 

I find I only buy the UCS sets these days, I'll pick the probe up on Amazon, probably be cheaper and well i trust their shipping when comparing with lego here. Shame that we get treated so poorly.

3 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

i trust their shipping when comparing with lego here

100000% agree. So glad Aussie Amazon has started selling LEGO after all these years. I snapped up the AAT from Amazon before they sold out, paid less than retail, free shipping and it arrived in 4 days. The s@h shipping here is a joke. I paid nearly $100 extra for express shipping on the UCS Star Destroyer and it still took more than a week to arrive... I live in a capital city not a rural town. What gets me the most is that the free shipping threshold is still $150, back when they shipped from Denmark it was reasonable but now that they ship from NSW it's ridiculous. When they opened that warehouse in 2018 it was supposed to fix things, now it's become even more unreliable than before. At least when it was coming from Denmark we knew it would take a month to arrive. Now they use Toll, who will take anywhere between 2 days and 2 months to deliver your order, and you better be home when they show up or otherwise no LEGO for you. This sort of stuff is really pushing me towards quitting the hobby.

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

I remember when shopping at Kmart for LEGO would entail entering one or two fully stocked aisles on the back of wall of the store, with almost every set in the catalogue and a few others available

Ah, the good ol' days. Today you're lucky if they have more than 2 copies of one set and more than 5 sets in a theme. My local only has the new shuttle, trouble on tattooine, x-wing and tie. Nothing from previous waves except an empty spot for the razor crest with a sticker saying something along the lines of "sorry we are out of stock"... that sticker has been there since the set came out.

32 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Ah, the good ol' days. Today you're lucky if they have more than 2 copies of one set and more than 5 sets in a theme. My local only has the new shuttle, trouble on tattooine, x-wing and tie. Nothing from previous waves except an empty spot for the razor crest with a sticker saying something along the lines of "sorry we are out of stock"... that sticker has been there since the set came out.

The two Kmarts near me have the TIE, shuttle and one has the Tatooine set. Shop at home shipping it is just nonsensical. Maybe this is regular practice I am ignorant of but last time I attempted a b&p order it would have charged almost $3 extra for shipping, no explanation given. I just gave up on buying Star Wars sets now, as I have what I need and can get more in other themes. 

The scout trooper is just great so I may give in, but I don’t have the space or resources for the upcoming  UCS sets. The only set that is seriously appealing is the ITT due to the figures and that will depend on price point and if I can find it on sale.

Holy smokes Australia is a mess I’m sorry y’all have to deal with that. Dang and it’s definitely got a market too but Lego’s just ignoring it. (Laughs in eagle country) Hopefully once Covid’s done they’ll get things back to normal but at this rate idk with Lego anymore 

44 minutes ago, GermanLad said:

What about the piece count for the new UCS r2-d2?

It's supposed to be the exact same as the old one. 

2 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

It's supposed to be the exact same as the old one. 

Actually, Stonewars says it should be 2314, which would exceed the old model's count of 2127 by a couple hundred. Still speculation at this point, but I thought I'd mention it.

As I conjectured in a previous comment on this thread— the Vader helmet looks *MUCH* better in-person, as can be seen in the Brickset review. Lego’s official photos are astonishingly bad. It looks way better in their photos, to the point that I actually kind of want it.

28 minutes ago, FeepoGerbin said:

As I conjectured in a previous comment on this thread— the Vader helmet looks *MUCH* better in-person, as can be seen in the Brickset review. Lego’s official photos are astonishingly bad. It looks way better in their photos, to the point that I actually kind of want it.

This is the second set in as many waves that has looked so much worse on the pics than in person (Imp Shuttle was sketchy anyway but the pics made it look so much worse). Someone get TLG a proper photographer. 

8 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

This is the second set in as many waves that has looked so much worse on the pics than in person

I think this became the rule rather than the exeption. Pictures/renderings from Lego are often taken from weird or unattractive angles.