MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

6 minutes ago, Stefanisimo said:

Which video are you referring to? I don't seem to find anything Lego posted.

Product page for the Probe Droid, on LEGO's website. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the photos. 

6 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Product page for the Probe Droid, on LEGO's website. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the photos. 

Oh I see, nice catch! It looks amazing I must say. Can't wait to see the full model. It's gonna look amazing next to BB-8 and D-0, now I feel bad for not collecting these droids lol

R2 looks very similar to the old head design, all the blue markings are in the same places as before and the “eye” is attached the exact same way as 10225 with the 3 stud long assembly attached on an angle. The biggest criticism of the old one was the studded look of the head, looks like they’ve taken the old design and smoothed it out. Wouldn’t be surprised if the body design hasn’t changed at all. Easy pass for me as I already have 10225, if anything I might bricklink the parts to smooth out the head but I do like the studded look.

edit: on closer inspection, the base of the head has been completely redone. Keen to see what the designer has done with the rest of the model now.

Edited by Brikkyy13

I get that PPP isn't everything but the Scout Trooper helmet has about 350 pieces less than the Vader helmet and they're both $90aud... Although the trooper helmet does appear to have a number of largish wedge plates.

And then the Probe Droid for $120aud...*huh* will need to wait for a good sale on that one.

12 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I get that PPP isn't everything but the Scout Trooper helmet has about 350 pieces less than the Vader helmet and they're both $90aud... Although the trooper helmet does appear to have a number of largish wedge plates.

And then the Probe Droid for $120aud...*huh* will need to wait for a good sale on that one.

LEGO has been bad with Aussie prices in the past but this is extortion. The scout trooper is cheaper than vader in other markets, why not Australia?

EDIT: Probe is $10 cheaper than Vader in the US too, so $120 for it makes no sense when the helmets are $90. Add in the fact that we can’t preorder them either... I‘ve been suspicious in the past but now I’m certain that LEGO has something against us Aussies. My guess is they raised the prices on us because they know they’re not going to restock Australian stores after the one and only shipment sells out on day 1 and they want to maximise their profits. 

Edited by Brikkyy13

R2's head looks fine. I would have loved to see TLG go wild and try to achieve a smoother shape with SNOT techniques, but that's much harder than the blocky approach, and certainly more fragile.

Been cutting back a lot on Star Wars sets lately, just focusing on the biennial giga-UCS sets, so still just waiting on more AT-AT info, though I must say that the Probe Droid looks neat.

Am I the only one who thinks R2D2's head looks ridiculous? While I am willing to reserve judgement until better photos and other angles emerge, I just don't think that R2's head looks particularly dome-like. I was naively hoping that they'd do it in the studded style that characterised BB-8's main body.

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about the new head. Somehow, I feel the smoother edges bring more attention to the fact that the roundness is achieved by "countours", which my brain interprets as texture that does not exist in the original R2. What I like about the studded design is the studs help my brain interpret the head as a sphere.

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

R2's head looks fine. I would have loved to see TLG go wild and try to achieve a smoother shape with SNOT techniques, but that's much harder than the blocky approach, and certainly more fragile.

Been cutting back a lot on Star Wars sets lately, just focusing on the biennial giga-UCS sets, so still just waiting on more AT-AT info, though I must say that the Probe Droid looks neat.

Agreed, I think the head is fine. I'm not sure what else they could do to try and smooth it out. I own the previous model and honestly can't tell if I like the studded version or the newer version of the head better. I would bet they've found a way to make the functions operate more smoothly (especially the third leg release). Can't wait to see this, but am more excited for the forthcoming Gunship and AT-AT. Man, budgeting for these will be a nightmare if I want all three - roughly $1400 if all three preliminary prices are correct :pir-cry_sad:

4 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

Apparently the Razor Crest is retiring by the end of the year. Weird considering that it’s so popular and has been sold out every other week. Find one if you don’t have it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brickfanatics.com/the-full-list-of-lego-star-wars-sets-retiring-in-2021/amp/

Remember that these lists aren’t always accurate, would be weird to see the Razor Crest disappear so soon but I wouldn’t put it past LEGO. I’m surprised that the UCS A-Wing is there, mustn’t be selling that well, that was only released last year too. The last UCS to disappear so quickly was the B-Wing, right? Judging by the appreciation on that one, A-Wing could be the next sleeper set for investors. 

7 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The last UCS to disappear so quickly was the B-Wing, right?

Snowspeeder.

10 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Remember that these lists aren’t always accurate, would be weird to see the Razor Crest disappear so soon but I wouldn’t put it past LEGO. I’m surprised that the UCS A-Wing is there, mustn’t be selling that well, that was only released last year too. The last UCS to disappear so quickly was the B-Wing, right? Judging by the appreciation on that one, A-Wing could be the next sleeper set for investors. 

Not a good sign to see these smaller UCS sets retiring so soon. The Y-Wing is worth nearly double retail already and has only been retired for a little over a year. 

3 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Snowspeeder.

Sorry but the availability data on brickset is saying that the Snowspeeder was available from 2017-2019 vs the B-Wing which was 2012-2013. Also didn’t the Snowspeeder randomly pop up again on S@H recently?

1 minute ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Sorry but the availability data on brickset is saying that the Snowspeeder was available from 2017-2019 vs the B-Wing which was 2012-2013. Also didn’t the Snowspeeder randomly pop up again on S@H recently?

The Snowspeeder went from May 2017 to January 2019 which is still under 2 years. The b-wing was a rare case and only made it 13 months. The Snowspeeder popped up I think but it was extremely limited stock and sold out immediately. Probably just a box they found in the warehouse.

1 minute ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Not a good sign to see these smaller UCS sets retiring so soon. The Y-Wing is worth nearly double retail already and has only been retired for a little over a year. 

Didn’t even think of the Y-Wing! Brickset says that one lasted 2018-2019, so one year as well. 

1 minute ago, Brikkyy13 said:

In the US, it was marked down and shortly thereafter sold out on LEGO's website and stores the summer after it was released... I think it only lasted ~15 months, shorter than even the B-Wing. It reappeared in one or two European countries briefly after that point, so it's possible Bricklink is using that as the official "end date". 

6 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

The Snowspeeder went from May 2017 to January 2019 which is still under 2 years.

I don't think Brickset's date is accurate in this case. 

6 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

In the US, it was marked down and shortly thereafter sold out on LEGO's website and stores the summer after it was released... I think it only lasted ~15 months, shorter than even the B-Wing. It reappeared in one or two European countries briefly after that point, so it's possible Bricklink is using that as the official "end date". 

I don't think Brickset's date is accurate in this case. 

I actually bought one in January 2019 when it was discounted. Had to call since stock was so low. It sold out sometime mid-month if I recall.

1 minute ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I actually bought one in January 2019 when it was discounted. Had to call since stock was so low. It sold out sometime mid-month if I recall.

Okay, fair enough. A quick search shows it was marked "retiring soon"in August, then sold out, then some stock was made available again for VIPs shortly after that. I picked it up that August, and never saw it again in my local stores or online after that...

Per the Brothers Brick announcement article for the helmets and probe droid:

"In addition to these three sets, the LEGO Star Wars design team shared a preview of a set we can’t talk about yet, as well as teasing the previously announced UCS Republic Gunship."

Any guesses as to the "set we can't talk about yet"?

8 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

"In addition to these three sets, the LEGO Star Wars design team shared a preview of a set we can’t talk about yet, as well as teasing the previously announced UCS Republic Gunship."

Presumably the R2-D2 as it was in the video, and that can't have been an accident. And it's the next due for release after these, I think? 

Edited by PhoenixBuilder

4 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Observant viewers may spot a little something extra in LEGO's video for the Probe Droid... around the 27 second mark?

Interesting...so it is a remake. Looks good, I was hoping for something more dome-like but this is still pretty good.

11 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Maybe the R2, though it's been known about for awhile it could be that they don't talk about leaks.