MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Vader looks like an anime happy face. Scout looks good. I’m staying away from the helmets as I’m getting poor with all these builds. Day 1 on the probe droid, cant wait 

Edited by LDigital

The Probe Droid and Scout Trooper look excellent. I love the that they've incouded a bit of the Hoth enviroment as the base for the set. The Vader helemt does look off. I feel like it's the proportions of the faceplate and back of the helmet that seem off(?). I don't know. That said, with these sets (plus the all the Mando and CW sets) we've got a great lineup of sets this year. 

Assuming the line will continue, I honestly can't wait till to get to the CW/PT stuff. 

The Scout Trooper and Probe Droid both look awesome, great sets! Vader looks fine I guess but the proportions seem a bit off and despite the fact I don't mind studs they don't look too good on this helmet. That said I'm not interested in picking up any of these.

I absolutely love the Probe Droid, such an awesome build.

Scout Trooper looks cool, I like it.

Vader on the other hand... he looks like they tried to build a Vader balloon, not his helmet.

While I'm very confused about the grill being too small, I will say that the head-on image makes the face look worse than it is. You can see there is more depth if you look at the profile picture, its almost like an optical illusion in the head-on pic making if face look flat.

The Scout Trooper Helmet is in my opinion the best helmet so far.

From hi-res picture on Brickset I see some gaps on the bottom and top of the visor. It's probably a static helmet, but it might still be viable that the visor can be flipped up! This would, however, require to have for instance black bricks/tiles to simulate a black Lego head... or the facial expression of an angry clone :laugh:

7 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

Hasbro is apparently releasing a new Cara Dune action figure later this year, so I doubt the actress' excommunication is going to have any impact on products already in the production pipeline.

Hasbro canceled two Cara Dune figures but left one, which was presumably too far into production (i.e., already manufactured) to stop. LEGO's August/September sets would not go into production until April or May... so still plenty of time to make adjustments, if they so desire.

8 hours ago, Seasider said:

The scout trooper looks great, I have to agree with Vader why isn’t there another sticker to make the grilles on the mouth taller.

probe droid on its snow stand looks great but I don’t collect these

so are we only getting 2 helmets this year or do we think there’s a third to be revealed?

These are the only two helmets that are known as of now. 

I really want to understand why they only have stickers for half of the grille on the Vader helmet. Makes a potentially very good set look terrible imo.

22 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I really want to understand why they only have stickers for half of the grille on the Vader helmet. Makes a potentially very good set look terrible imo.

No kidding. The grille should clearly extend down, and it would have been seemingly easy to just put another sticker there.

2 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

No kidding. The grille should clearly extend down, and it would have been seemingly easy to just put another sticker there.

The stormtrooper and tie pilot even had custom printed tiles for the grille. Makes absolutely 0 sense why they couldn't at least do a sticker there.

A bit off topic, but MandR just confirmed the mystery $30 set is not a battle pack (unsurprising) or Obi-Wan’s interceptor (somewhat personally disappointing). Interesting. 

Just now, hondohnaka said:

A bit off topic, but MandR just confirmed the mystery $30 set is not a battle pack (unsurprising) or Obi-Wan’s interceptor (somewhat personally disappointing). Interesting. 

I would guess it’s a snowspeeder given it’s been a while (as in a couple months) since the last one and it would go well with the UCS set, but something tells me it’s not since it’s a store exclusive...

2 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

I would guess it’s a snowspeeder given it’s been a while (as in a couple months) since the last one and it would go well with the UCS set, but something tells me it’s not since it’s a store exclusive...

That’s actually what I was thinking as well. A minifig scale snowspeeder to go with the AT AT would rock. We’ll see. 

I’m more into the minifigure-scaled stuff, but I think all three of these sets look fantastic! I’m especially impressed by how great the Probe Droid looks, but the two helmets are nice too. I must be the only one who doesn’t think that the Vader looks off though.

Not sure if and when I’ll get these, but I am pleased by what I see!

I've been looking at the Vader helmet and the more I think about it, the more I believe that the angle of the main helmet picture just doesn't work for this particular helmet. From what I can tell from the front view of the helmet on the side of the box it looks much better when you look at it from the front. To me the Vader helmet in that main picture looks "chubby" - this is due to 2 things for me: grill stickers on the front not coming all the way down as they should and due to the neck part of the helmet, which looks to start way closer to the mouth than it should. However the neck part I think is actually ok, since side picture shows that it starts around when it should in my opinion. I think we'll need to see the helmet in person once it's out

15 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

692053471_vaderlego.jpg.3e196a1b9570870e6e1bfda9e5e44fb8.jpg

OK, I'm not the greatest at Photoshop, but I mocked up what the set may look like with a sticker on the bottom tile.

That is a marked improvement. Outside of that fairly large error, I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here and say that I think Vader’s helmet will look better in person. It’s hard to light these all-black sets in a way that doesn’t betray their three-dimensionality. I do think the ‘cheekbones’ don’t look nearly angular enough... but, once again, I think this might be a symptom of the serious lighting challenge that set poses.

That Probe Droid is certainly a winner!! Great to see such creativity coming back into the theme again.

I'd be open to expanding this to other droids, tech, etc. also. Speaking of which....I guess the Yoda's lightsaber GWP may have been a "one and done"? If so, that's disappointing. A line of buildable saber hilts (at least the most well-known ones) would have been very cool.

17 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

It's the cheekbones, I think. They're supposed to be angled up and outwards and on the model that line is vertical. It throws off the whole face.

That's it, you're right.

17 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Not gonna buy any of them cause i vote with my wallet against original trilogy,

...what? *huh*

12 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

That Vader helmet looks much like the original one-piece LEGO minifig Vader helmet. Very similar expression.

Wait, you might be onto something. Back when the first wave came out, some people thought the stormtrooper helmet looks more like a replica of the lego mold of the helmet than the prop.

I like what I'm seeing here. That Vader looks wonderful to me honestly. The only nitpick I have is the grill part, it could have been bigger. These helmets will definitely look much better in person, looking forward to picking them up one day!

4 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

1 hour ago, TheMainBricker said:

OK, I'm not the greatest at Photoshop, but I mocked up what the set may look like with a sticker on the bottom tile.

2 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

grill stickers on the front not coming all the way down as they should

4 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

The stormtrooper and tie pilot even had custom printed tiles for the grille. Makes absolutely 0 sense why they couldn't at least do a sticker there.

You know its bad when we're asking for more stickers.

Edited by Stuartn

57 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

You know its bad when we're asking for more stickers.

:iamded_lol:Yep! The photoshopped version of Vader with a full grille still looks a little odd with the gap between the triangular portions and the portion below. I think that could be solved with three fully printed pieces, but I guess that'd have been too expensive?