MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Is the UCS AT-AT lined up for a September or November release? Curious because it changes my budget. 

November 26th, apparently.

Alright, changes have been made. Let the complaining commence! In all seriousness I hope the changes make things better and easier for everyone. I took all the feedback you all gave me into consideration and consulted some of the other moderators about how they organize their threads. As you look over the organization keep in mind that Star Wars is one of Eurobrick's biggest forum sections and draws a lot of people to the site. That said we can't organize it like Superheroes does with everything being discussed in one topic. So we now have 5 main topics:

General (with the first post acting as an index)
2021 News Thread If you have legitimate news please post it here. My real life is too busy to try to do this for you all. Another topic for 2022 will be created when it's applicable.
2021 Set Discussion Discuss sets, rumors, and opinions. And of course read the first post :wink: Another topic for 2022 will be created when it's applicable.
Wishlists Future Set and Minifigure topics have been merged here.
Culture and Media I created a specific topic in the Culture and Media thread for Star Wars. Spoilers are allowed there so enter at your own risk.

I've unpinned a number of older topics to make it easier to find things. I've also added all these links in my signature. So if you get lost just look for my last post :wink:

In regards to spoilers, the statement on the first post of this topic still holds true:

On 9/15/2020 at 10:03 AM, MKJoshA said:

Eurobricks Star Wars Forum Spoiler Policy
With regards to upcoming sets and rumors: Read at your own risk. This is a topic about potential items to be released. If you do not want to know, stay out of these forums!!!

With regards to spoiler tags: these are not required and we will not force anyone to use them.  That being said, I'm sure if you did use them, the community would be a much happier place!  Please be respectful of others. If a member used a spoiler tag, their intention was to keep something quiet; it was a courtesy to others. If you choose to comment on the contents of that spoiler tag, please refrain from publicly mentioning what the contents of the spoiler were!!!

With regards to movies or shows: We feel that two weeks from the release date is an ample amount of time for most people to view a movie. Once a movie or episode is released, we the staff, will do all we can to curb the usage of spoilers in any of the topics in the Star Wars forum for two weeks. If you do not see the movie or episode within two weeks, then you read here at your own risk.

This is the policy in the Star Wars forum, going forward. If you did not agree with us in the past, so be it. From this point on, we will not police the threads unless something becomes an issue. We ask that members not mini-mod (directly telling other members how to behave ) in the thread and tell others to use spoiler tags. If something is a problem, please inform the mods by reporting it. Any questions, please ask in the appropriate thread.

Discussion about future castings for upcoming shows belongs in the new Culture and Media topic. If you have questions about other topics and where they might belong, ask it in the General Questions thread.

And as always, May the Force Be With You.

17 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Alright, changes have been made. Let the complaining commence! In all seriousness I hope the changes make things better and easier for everyone. I took all the feedback you all gave me into consideration and consulted some of the other moderators about how they organize their threads. As you look over the organization keep in mind that Star Wars is one of Eurobrick's biggest forum sections and draws a lot of people to the site. That said we can't organize it like Superheroes does with everything being discussed in one topic. So we now have 5 main topics:

Probably not the forum to say it in, but the changes seem good and thank you for putting in the work to make them happen.

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

General (with the first post acting as an index)
2021 News Thread If you have legitimate news please post it here. My real life is too busy to try to do this for you all. Another topic for 2022 will be created when it's applicable.
2021 Set Discussion Discuss sets, rumors, and opinions. And of course read the first post :wink: Another topic for 2022 will be created when it's applicable.
Wishlists Future Set and Minifigure topics have been merged here.
Culture and Media I created a specific topic in the Culture and Media thread for Star Wars. Spoilers are allowed there so enter at your own risk.

I've unpinned a number of older topics to make it easier to find things. I've also added all these links in my signature. So if you get lost just look for my last post :wink:

In regards to spoilers, the statement on the first post of this topic still holds true:

Discussion about future castings for upcoming shows belongs in the new Culture and Media topic. If you have questions about other topics and where they might belong, ask it in the General Questions thread.

Happy with the changes...

To misquote Thomas Jefferson: “can we get back to Lego leaks?” 

I’m definitely leaning towards crossing the Gunship off my wishlist. It’s probably going to be super bulky, and the rumored figs are just astronomically disappointing. I can do a lot with 350 and get some much better sets that fit better with my collection. 

56 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

I’m definitely leaning towards crossing the Gunship off my wishlist. It’s probably going to be super bulky, and the rumored figs are just astronomically disappointing. I can do a lot with 350 and get some much better sets that fit better with my collection. 

Did you vote for the gunship by any chance? I've had a theory that a lot of gunship voters won't buy the set because they didn't realize it'd most likely be larger than system scale and not have a ton of figures, and I want to see if I can start getting some sample stats on that.

5 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Alright, changes have been made.

I'm very happy with the changes, they sound great! Lots of streamlining and clarification on the different threads.

58 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Did you vote for the gunship by any chance? I've had a theory that a lot of gunship voters won't buy the set because they didn't realize it'd most likely be larger than system scale and not have a ton of figures, and I want to see if I can start getting some sample stats on that.

One data point here. I did vote for the Gunship and do intend to buy it regardless of what figures it comes with--I love minifigs as much as the next guy, but a UCS set is a UCS set and that's not what we're all here for. Plenty of people clearly had outrageous expectations for what the minifig selection would be like, but I don't think that the fraction of voters who expected it to be minifig scale will be very large. I'm curious to see what the actual data would say, though.

@Mandalorianknight I voted for the gunship, fully expecting a massive model that takes up the entire shelf with no thought of minifigures put into the set. Hopefully it’s going to be one of the most needlessly big sets that LEGO has ever released. If that’s the case I’m all for it. 

What I was expecting in terms of figures was two pilots, never thought we’d get more than two figs in the set. In the box where it asked what figures I would like to see I think I put 2 pilots and 4 gunners. If the set does end up using the Jurassic World ball pieces for the turrets and the Jedi interceptor cockpit piece, minifigures would still look small but it would be passable (kind of like UCS Y-Wing). 

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

One data point here. I did vote for the Gunship and do intend to buy it regardless of what figures it comes with--I love minifigs as much as the next guy, but a UCS set is a UCS set and that's not what we're all here for. Plenty of people clearly had outrageous expectations for what the minifig selection would be like, but I don't think that the fraction of voters who expected it to be minifig scale will be very large. I'm curious to see what the actual data would say, though.

Exactly the same here :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I voted for the Gunship and sure, I'd probably like a system scale gunship with a great figure selection better because it would give us the opportunity to get a great model and some much needed figures. However, when I voted for the gunship I was under no illusion that it would come with loads of figures. I voted for a UCS gunship and precedent shows that for UCS ships you're lucky to get two figures, normally pilots, and that is what I expect to get for the Gunship. But as someone who has no other UCS ships, the Gunship is the one ship that, as long as it's done well, will make me get a UCS set - no other OT UCS set has done that. So that is why I voted for the gunship; because I love the source material. No idea where I'll put the thing, but I can't see me be able to resist getting it. I do agree though, that a lot of voters, probably not those on this forum, with less knowledge of the UCS/system scale distinction will be expecting something more figure focused. I will say though that Lego did inadvertently connect the model with figures by actually asking what figures people would like to see with the set

Edited by BacktoBricks

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I didn't cast a vote in the ballot, but I will probably pick up the gunship as it's a fairly unusual UCS set. I would've preferred it to be around the $200 mark purely for my wallet's sake, but I'm prepared to break the bank as it will be the first time in a while I'll be able to afford something that big.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think if there was any group of people that fell into that category, it would most likely be people from Instagram/Reddit/YouTube.  EB, from what I've seen over the past year, had pretty realistic expectations for the model and/or minifigure selection.  The comments on the other social media platforms are where most people are complaining.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm very happy with the changes, they sound great! Lots of streamlining and clarification on the different threads.

I wasn’t even aware that there was a vote, lol. I heard about the Gunship after it was confirmed as coming out this year, was excited for quite a while, and then the figs really disappointed me. 

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No, I didn't vote for the gunship.

I want a System version scale version of the gunship, not UCS scale.

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think if there was any group of people that fell into that category, it would most likely be people from Instagram/Reddit/YouTube.  EB, from what I've seen over the past year, had pretty realistic expectations for the model and/or minifigure selection.  The comments on the other social media platforms are where most people are complaining.

Yeah, I think everyone who responded on this forum weren't under the illusion it would have tons of figures. I think you're right that EB tends to be more reasonable. In that case it might be more a question of how many voters were just wanting a prequel UCS or UCS gunship or "eurobricks voters" and how many were voting and either not planning on buying or expecting an unreasonable number of figures or "Youtube voters".

In that case, asking on this forum will result in a flawed sample. I'm not sure how one would go about trying to figure this out, as eurobricks also tends to have less commenters than youtube/instagram/etc, so you couldn't just average the votes. 

4 hours ago, Sarah_H7744 said:

No, I didn't vote for the gunship.

I want a System version scale version of the gunship, not UCS scale.

I had the same reasoning. I want a gunship (I'm waiting for shipments of parts to finish the 2013 model), but a system one, not a UCS one.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:17 AM, Fuppylodders said:

I also voted Gunship and hope it's enormous. I buy UCS for the detail; any minifigs are an added bonus.

8 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I also voted Gunship and hope it's enormous. I buy UCS for the detail; any minifigs are an added bonus.

This is exactly it. I dont care for minifig scale at all when it comes to UCS. It should be grand with good details. It is a display piece in my eyes.

Also, I'm a sucker for PT/Clone Wars era. Wish we would get more UCS sets from that timeline, but we know that is not happening. More than happy to get the Gunship though.

Turbo Tank: The PT UCS we could all agree on; there's no exceeding minifigure scale on one of those lol.

Don't blame the fans if this doesn't sell well; blame Lego. The precedence is not "everything gets upscaled":

• ZERO UCS sets have exceeded minifigure scale while also costing more than $200. The UCS Gunship is the 1st.

Here are the ones to exceed $200:

• STILL not MF-scale: Star Destroyer (x2), DSII, SSD, 10188 (and 2nd version), Sandcrawler
  • MF scale: Falcon (x2), Imperial Shuttle, Ewok Village & Assault on Hoth

Everything that's been upscaled was done so in order to reach a target price-point, which has been $199.99 USD since the 2012 B-Wing, no doubt a price analysts have determined to be a "sweet spot" for upscale adult-targeted Lego sets. Given that precedence, a minifigure-scale Gunship was a perfectly reasonable expectation:

• 2013 Republic Gunship: $119.99
  • 2014 AT-AT: $109.99
  • 2014 Star Destroyer: $129.99
  • 2020 AT-AT: $159.99
  • 2021 Rumored Arquitens: $159.99
  • Theoretical 2021 Playscale Gunship: $159.99
  • Theoretical 2021 UCS Gunship with advanced building techniques and/or addl. minifigures: $199.99

TLG has never asked fans to spend more than $200 on an upscaled OT set. PT fans, who we all know love Clone minifigures, who we all know haven't gotten a UCS set in a decade, who have never received a minifigure-compatible UCS set, will be justified in being upset; TLG knew these things and is breaking precedence anyways.

For the record, I voted on the UCS Gunship without even considering minifigure scale, one way or another. While I'd prefer minifigure scale, given my gyrosphere-bubble-turret theory, I've been expecting an upscaled version. But the constant fan blaming on here is a bit much..

12 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Given that precedence, a minifigure-scale Gunship was a perfectly reasonable expectation:

• Theoretical 2021 UCS Gunship with advanced building techniques and/or addl. minifigures: $199.99

33 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

PT fans, who we all know love Clone minifigures, who we all know haven't gotten a UCS set in a decade, who have never received a minifigure-compatible UCS set, will be justified in being upset...

This would be a much more compelling argument if the price/identity of the 2020 AT-AT and 2021 (rumored) Arquitens had been known when LEGO's UCS poll was being voted on. They weren't.

(It's also worth pointing out that most people here were pretty shocked to see the AT-AT priced at $160 when it finally was made public, so you can't even argue that that kind of price inflation was to be expected.) 

From 2017, 4 years ago - so an even better illustration:

• 75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker $149.99
  • 75190 First Order Star Destroyer $159.99

50 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Turbo Tank: The PT UCS we could all agree on; there's no exceeding minifigure scale on one of those lol.

Don't blame the fans if this doesn't sell well; blame Lego. The precedence is not "everything gets upscaled":

• ZERO UCS sets have exceeded minifigure scale while also costing more than $200. The UCS Gunship is the 1st.

Here are the ones to exceed $200:

• STILL not MF-scale: Star Destroyer (x2), DSII, SSD, 10188 (and 2nd version), Sandcrawler
  • MF scale: Falcon (x2), Imperial Shuttle, Ewok Village & Assault on Hoth

Everything that's been upscaled was done so in order to reach a target price-point, which has been $199.99 USD since the 2012 B-Wing, no doubt a price analysts have determined to be a "sweet spot" for upscale adult-targeted Lego sets. Given that precedence, a minifigure-scale Gunship was a perfectly reasonable expectation:

TLG has never asked fans to spend more than $200 on an upscaled OT set. PT fans, who we all know love Clone minifigures, who we all know haven't gotten a UCS set in a decade, who have never received a minifigure-compatible UCS set, will be justified in being upset; TLG knew these things and is breaking precedence anyways.

For the record, I voted on the UCS Gunship without even considering minifigure scale, one way or another. While I'd prefer minifigure scale, given my gyrosphere-bubble-turret theory, I've been expecting an upscaled version. But the constant fan blaming on here is a bit much..

For the record, I think a UCS turbo tank would be great, and you make some very interesting points and bring a great new perspective to the table. That said, I think there are a few things that make this different.

I got into following leaks a couple weeks after the vote finished. I probably would have voted for the Nebulon B since it had never been made, and could never have a system scale set, and I wanted a system scale gunship. I was really hoping it would be around $200 and brickvault scaled, but on reflection, that was probably naive of me. 

First— a minifig scale UCS gunship is almost impossible by legos standards.  At the size it would have to be done, they would either sacrifice detail, space, or stability. It would have to be huge to achieve the detail of UCS sets.

Second—The expectations for this set were largely unreasonable. You seemed very fair and prudent in your vote, so I can respect that, but many wanted it to have Rex, Cody, Fives, 5 p1 troops, and 5 p2, plus pilots and Bob. These fans were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Third—We did not know the price until recently, and a $200 dollar or more minifig scale Gunship cannot really be done. Perhaps LEGO miscalculated how many people wanted a minifig scale Gunship, but the vote was for a UCS set, and the gunship just doesn’t lend itself well to a minifig scale and well detailed gunship.

Edited by Brickroll

BTW On the topic of comparative pricing: I don't think people were using these as a means to determine their votes; I used these lists merely to illustrate that a $200 price point for a Gunship is reasonable (more on that below).

2 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

For the record, I think a UCS turbo tank would be great, and you make some very interesting points and bring a great new perspective to the table. That said, I think there are a few things that make this different.

I got into following leaks a couple weeks after the vote finished. I probably would have voted for the Nebulon B since it had never been made, and could never have a system scale set, and I wanted a system scale gunship. I was really hoping it would be around $200 and brickvault scaled, but on reflection, that was probably naive of me. 

First— a minifig scale UCS gunship is almost impossible by legos standards.  At the size it would have to be done, they would either sacrifice detail, space, or stability. It would have to be huge to achieve the detail of UCS sets.

Second—The expectations for this set were largely unreasonable. You seemed very fair and prudent in your vote, so I can respect that, but many wanted it to have Rex, Cody, Fives, 5 p1 troops, and 5 p2, plus pilots and Bob. 

Third—We did not know the price until recently, and a $200 dollar or more minifig scale Gunship cannot really be done.

Thanks; I appreciate the response, however, I feel like these arguments are rather subjective.

For example, I agree with people when they say it's not realistic to compare customs to TLG; I think in cases like this Lego can do better. They're the best in the world and designers like the ones Lego have relish the challenge of building within the constraints they have. I'm not sure how we measure or argue that.

Also, I think $200 for a MF-scale Gunship is reasonable because 12 minifigures is, also in my opinion, not unreasonable. After all, Lego hasn't been shy about including minifigures in other minifigure scale UCS sets (e.g. Falcon, Imperial Shuttle, etc.):

On 9/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, Pedilego said:

Let's talk it through by the numbers: is it possible for a $250 Gunship to be minifigure scale?

• [2/25/21 Edit] The 2013 Gunship has 1175 pieces. Official modern models from TLG tend to be more detailed and have more pieces.
  • The m5_builds custom Gunship has over 1,400 pieces. That does include double doors but not bubble turrets, flood lights, or minifigures.
  • The BrickVault custom Gunship contains 1,587 pieces. I'm assuming this count includes the double doors, bubble turrets, & flood lights.
    • Side Note: I'm not saying double doors & flood lights for Clone Wars conversions are likely; I'm just seeing what max part count gets us.
  • The custom sets don't include a speeder, which was another 27 parts in the 2013 Gunship. A more detailed version may use 50 pieces?
  • The custom sets don't include a UCS plaque or display stand. The A-Wing used just over 100 pieces so the Gunship may need 150 pieces?
  • The custom sets don't include minifigures. If this set is scaled to them, there's no reason they couldn't, say, re-create the Dooku pursuit scene (2 pilots, 2 gunners, 2 clones, Anakin, Kenobi, Padme, Dooku) plus Commander Cody from the fan vote. That's another ~50 pieces

Ok, so even if they included all of ^that, we're looking at a part count in the mid-1,800s. For comparison,

• The 2013 UCS Ewok Village had 1,990 pieces, 21 minifigures, and retailed for $249.99 USD.
  • The 2016 UCS Assault on Hoth had 2,144 pieces, 15 minifigures, and retailed for $249.99 USD.
  • The 2017 UCS Snowspeeder had 1,703 pieces, 2 minifigures, and retailed for $199.99 USD .
  • The 2018 UCS Y-Wing had 1,967 pieces, 2 minifigures, and retailed for $199.99 USD.
  • The 2020 UCS A-Wing had 1,673 pieces, 1 minifigure, and retailed for $199.99 USD.
  • This theoretical 2021 UCS Gunship could have up to 1,850 pieces, 11 minifigures, and retail for $249.99 USD.

To me, while $200 is entirely possible, a $250 minifigure scale Gunship is tipping the scales a bit too much. [2/25/21 Edit:] I concluded, based on the $250 rumor, the Gunship was unlikely to be minifigure scale but there was a very slight chance even at that price point.

For the record, I'd personally prefer & purchase more at minifigure scale.

6 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

BTW On the topic of comparative pricing: I don't think people were using these as a means to determine their votes; I used these lists merely to illustrate that a $200 price point for a Gunship is reasonable (more on that below).

Thanks; I appreciate the response, however, I feel like these arguments are rather subjective.

For example, I agree with people when they say it's not realistic to compare customs to TLG; I think in cases like this Lego can do better. They're the best in the world and designers like the ones Lego have relish the challenge of building within the constraints they have. I'm not sure how we measure or argue that.

Also, I think $200 for a MF-scale Gunship is reasonable because 12 minifigures is, also in my opinion, not unreasonable. After all, Lego hasn't been shy about including minifigures in other minifigure scale UCS sets (e.g. Falcon, Imperial Shuttle, etc.):

For some reason I can’t quote the rest of your comment, but that’s okay.

On the subject of minfigures, in a perfect timeline, there would be one minifig for every hundred pieces. Unfortunately, this is not the perfect timeline. (Although it’s not the darkest either) UCS sets are not really designed to have a ton of figures, even if they are minifig scale. IIRC, the ones with the most are the Sandcrawler, Assault on Hoth, and the Falcon. The Ewok Village is not technically a UCS. Only a few of the Sandcrawler ones are not brick built, I think four or five? The Falcon was the largest set of all time, so it at least got a few. AOH is a weird one, but that’s because it was essentially a MBS and was widely criticized. I suppose the argument could be made that the fan vote meant that they should have put more in, they never said how many, and it seems fair to temper expectations.

As to your point about the stand and extra bits, that is a very legitimate point. I think that adding in the speeders seems unlikely as few UCS sets have side builds, other than the three above. 
My main point about stability I still feel stands—look at the doors on brickvault’s gunship—they are really off.

I want to add one last thing, since things here can get kind of out of hand once in a while, and I don’t want this conversation to go on that path, even if it does not seem like it will—I disagree with your opinion, but I respect it.

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

ZERO UCS sets have exceeded minifigure scale while also costing more than $200. The UCS Gunship is the 1st.

2013 Republic Gunship: $119.99 2014 AT-AT: $109.99 2014 Star Destroyer: $129.99 2020 AT-AT: $159.99 2021 Rumored Arquitens: $159.99 Theoretical 2021 Playscale Gunship: $159.99 Theoretical 2021 UCS Gunship with advanced building techniques and/or addl. minifigures: $199.99

There's a few different ways to go off scale, so I did a bit of math here.

Height/length: The 2013 set is roughly 47 studs long. The LAAT/i is roughly 60 ft long (and, fun fact, cost 85,000 credits). The average clone trooper is exactly 6ft tall, and the basic clone trooper figure (without a helmet) is 5 studs tall. So with 1 stud=5/6ft, meaning a minifig scale gunship should be 72 studs long. That means the vehicle needs to be 1.5x longer for 1.3x the cost, assuming lego keeps the same value. This is within the realm of possibility, I guess, but not all that likely.

Figure/trooper compliment. This isn't a usual method of determining scale, but seeing as the LAAT's primary purpose is to transport clones, I though we'd see how it stacks up: The LAAT should be able to fit 30 passengers, a pilot, co-pilot, and 2 gunners. This is....not even close with the 2013 lego model, which can barely fit 12 passengers if you fold out the bubble turrets, and even then the doors have trouble closing. So it would have to be much bigger, and consequently much more expensive than $200, to fit even 20 passengers, much less 30.

48 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Second—The expectations for this set were largely unreasonable. You seemed very fair and prudent in your vote, so I can respect that, but many wanted it to have Rex, Cody, Fives, 5 p1 troops, and 5 p2, plus pilots and Bob. These fans were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Yeah, a disturbing amount of people expected this to have something like a full complement of troopers and passengers.

Edited by Mandalorianknight