MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Are we about to watch the Cara Dune minifigure shoot up in price? Some people seem to think she won’t show up in 2HY now even though the current figure list suggests she’s in the Light Cruiser.

1 minute ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Are we about to watch the Cara Dune minifigure shoot up in price? Some people seem to think she won’t show up in 2HY now even though the current figure list suggests she’s in the Light Cruiser.

I doubt this controversy will cause LEGO to remove Cara from the minifigure lineup but I doubt we'll see her in many future sets beyond 2021.

2 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I doubt this controversy will cause LEGO to remove Cara from the minifigure lineup but I doubt we'll see her in many future sets beyond 2021.

Yeah, it wouldn’t make much sense to remove the minifig (although I wouldn’t mind if it gets replaced by a more interesting minifig or an additional Darktrooper). Besides, the option to recast the character is still on the table :shrug_oh_well: 

16 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The option to recast the character is still on the table :shrug_oh_well: 

We’ll see if it gets that far, give it a few months and this could all blow over like with James Gunn. I haven’t done a deep dive yet but I know Lucasfilm has been looking for a reason to fire Carano for a while despite Cara Dune being a fan favourite. No further comment on this situation cause it looks messy and has no place on toy forum. 

My gut tells me we’re still getting Cara in the cruiser but I won’t be surprised if the set comes out and we’ve got an extra dark trooper instead. Or worse, and imo even more likely given then timeframe, one less figure and no substitute :sceptic:

Edited by Brikkyy13

1 minute ago, Brikkyy13 said:

We’ll see if it gets that far, give it a few months and this could all blow over like with James Gunn.

I also don’t want this topic to escalate, but just this: Gunn was fired over some old unfunny jokes that resurfaced. What Carano did is FAR worse, so bad in fact there’s no coming back from that :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

[...] but I won’t be surprised if the set comes out and we’ve got an extra dark trooper instead. 

Adding a second copy of a fig to a set shouldn’t be that hard, considering that set production hasn’t begun yet. The real issues are the packaging and the instruction manuals. Those leak very rarely, so it’s hard to tell how far in advance they start production, but it might be sooner than the actual bricks :shrug_oh_well:

I never understood why actors were so stupid to say out loud what could harm their career...*huh*

she was part of one of the most popular new shows on the decade and just shot herself in the foot at only 38, her career is done for good... she can still get back to practicing MMA :laugh:

On 2/10/2021 at 1:21 AM, hondohnaka said:

link for those who are curious. 

I personally like the look of it. It’s a bit small, but it’ll look nice with the new TIE, and the general ship seems really nice. The cockpit is an easier fix then I thought; just remove the stud shooters and stick some longer angle pieces on there and it should clean up nicely. It’s no Tydirium, obviously, but for someone like me who doesn’t have one it will be...acceptable. 

I am surprised he got the shuttle first compared to other youtubers and websites

anyway, it would have been nice to see both shuttle next to each others for comparison

but from what i see, the tydirium is still the best... I have to find it now at a decent price :(

I doubt they will remove her from the set if she was planned to be included. That new hairpiece in the latest Raya and the dragon set seems like it was made with Cara in mind as well. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

The character is part of the story, any actress can replace her, there is no reason to remove the minifig from lego sets

Having seen the YouTube review video for the Imperial Shuttle (75302), I'm really looking forward to getting this set. I don't have any of the minifigs included. Also, the Imperial Shuttle will work in a number of my planned displays. :classic:

I'm very much looking forward to these later 2021 SW sets;
Mandalore Throne & Vault - Dual on Mandalore (75310)
Imperial Troop Transport (75311)
Bad batch shuttle (75314)
Moff Gideon's Imperial Cruiser (75314)
Bo-Katan's Mandalorian Fighter (75316)
Darth Vader's Meditation Chamber (75369)

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I completely agree.

I do hope Disney re-cast Cara Dune though, as I really like the character.

Yeah, I ordered the AT-ST with the red leg about two hours after the announcement just in case. I have a feeling her minifigure and possibly that whole set is going to become a lot harder to find.

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I'm sure she'll still be in the light cruiser, if they remove her I honestly will not buy it because of how stupid that would be.

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

We’ll see if it gets that far, give it a few months and this could all blow over like with James Gunn.

That's what I'm hoping for. Pascal and Weathers have come to her aid in the past, so maybe they'll do what the guardians cast did back when they fired Gunn and get her back.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's what I'm hoping for. Pascal and Weathers have come to her aid in the past, so maybe they'll do what the guardians cast did back when they fired Gunn and get her back.

As I‘ve said before, these two situations are not really comparable. One is making inappropriate jokes, the other is trivialising the Holocaust. She simply doesn‘t deserve another chance and should just be recast, preferably with someone who can actually act :grin:

7 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm sure she'll still be in the light cruiser, if they remove her I honestly will not buy it because of how stupid that would be.

I‘d take another Darktrooper over a repeat of Cara any day :tongue:

31 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Business people will decide this and for them Carano's last apologies didnt hold up very long so it's unlikely they reconsider anytime soon.

And yes, it's a blowback - Cara was a much more diverse casting choice than the usual barbie-doll-figure women. I kind of liked her character despite some obvious acting flaws. But I saw this comming; I was actually expecting her to be cut or die somehow in season 2.

After all James Gunn was a pretty important director and his stupid jokes didn't have any real background. But the actress stepped over some lines here. I wish her good luck anyway. Let's just hope her future tweets dont go so far so that Lego sees themselves being forced to take her out of existing sets :pir-murder:

...so the summer sets are the only chances to get proper updates (in colour scheme and hairpiece choice).

Permanently scrubbing an entire character from any future Star Wars content or merch, and a pretty popular one at that, just because the actor/actress did something stupid is a dumb move that I can't see happening. Even if she never gets brought back with a recast I don't think she'll be banned from merchandise and definitely not removed from this upcoming wave.

Not to mention, throwing "characters aren't actors" out the window completely undoes everything in defense of Kelly Marie Tran and unintentionally validates the horrible things people said and did to her.

Edited by BigGuy4U

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You're not going to buy a set because it doesn't include a repacked minifig? That might be a first.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Considering Pedro's sister is trans and Gina has publicly denigrated trans people, I kinda doubt that will happen here.

3...2...1... before mods say it's time to reign this all back in...

11 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Not to mention, throwing "characters aren't actors" out the window completely undoes everything in defense of Kelly Marie Tran and unintentionally validates the horrible things people said and did to her.

Big agree. I still feel so bad for her :sad:

We need to respect both sides of the opinions here. Those who disagree and those who agree with Gina should be allowed to voice their opinions because we live in a country that was founded on free speech. That said, this forum is for talking about Lego. Let's keep it on the appropriate topic.

i swear this forum was called eurobricks lol

but regardless, it'd be dumb for them to remove her character from merch because she was annoying on twitter and anyways they wouldn't have to: separate the character from the actor and let it stay. besides, her figure doesn't even actually look like her so there's a plus ig

1 hour ago, BigGuy4U said:

good point: might as well mention that gina carano was a dogshit actress who got very slightly better near the finale but given this they could probably recast her with someone who can act and given the chance won't let instant fame and a newfound platform go straight to her head

1 hour ago, BigGuy4U said:

Not the same thing at all.

With Carano, you have someone who said some pretty terrible stuff repeatedly and unapologetically, and the company didn't want to be associated with that. Especially as a supposedly family friendly for everyone company. So parted ways with the actress.

With Marie Tran, you have a load of pricks attacking a person, and being racist because they didn't like a character she played. In some cases because they didn't want women in in their wizards in space film. 

Not the same thing in the slightest.

The new shuttle actually doesn't look too bad in that video review IMO. I think the comparison with Tyderium is similar to the story with the two latest MTTs - both good sets in their own right, but since the first one set such a high bar the second one will always look disappointing in relative terms. I'd probably buy it if I didn't have Tyderium.

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Permanently scrubbing an entire character from any future Star Wars content or merch, and a pretty popular one at that, just because the actor/actress did something stupid is a dumb move that I can't see happening. Even if she never gets brought back with a recast I don't think she'll be banned from merchandise and definitely not removed from this upcoming wave.

But its a company. A company that makes money with their image. And a company which is marketing actors and actresses. When Silvester Stallone did Rambo II or when Tom Cruise did this one plane movie: the main actors and actresses had to act or become a bit what the product demanded - even outside. In a big franchise they are also paied for this public appearance.

I'm not saying it's an ideal thing but it's how things are. They have a calculation and if keeping her means more money loss, they fire her.

In the 90's Star Trek (which was kinda progressive for its time) they tolerated quite a few conservative performers. But I guess there was not twitter back then. And if someone would say kids and wifes should be beaten, it wasnt deemed that controversial. the situation is complex. Things are complex. And we live in capitalism; money decides.

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

You're not going to buy a set because it doesn't include a repacked minifig? That might be a first.

Considering Pedro's sister is trans and Gina has publicly denigrated trans people, I kinda doubt that will happen here.

3...2...1... before mods say it's time to reign this all back in...

Yes, just because of how stupid a move by lego/lucasfilm that would be, to wipe a character from merch because they don't like the actress.

I'll just say this quickly because I don't want to keep straying off topic, but you should probably re-read her tweets as she makes it clear that's not the case, she's actually talked with Pedro about those tweets, and he tweeted some general support of her after it happened back in 2020... 

Anyway, back on topic.

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

The new shuttle actually doesn't look too bad in that video review IMO. I think the comparison with Tyderium is similar to the story with the two latest MTTs - both good sets in their own right, but since the first one set such a high bar the second one will always look disappointing in relative terms. I'd probably buy it if I didn't have Tyderium.

Yeah, another case of the promo photos making it look worse than it does in reality. I agree that it's main problem is not living up to tydrium, but like you said it can't be helped, especially when it's $30 cheaper. I'm happy that I managed to get tyderium on sale sometime in 2016-2017, but if I hadn't, I'd definitely pick this set up.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:02 AM, MaximillianRebo said:

Unless you're a completionist I doubt anyone with the 2015 Tydirium is going to give this new model much of a look....

You're not wrong! :laugh:  The Lambda shuttle is one of my favorite vehicles in the SWU, but the 75302 is a hard pass for me.  The new TIE and X-wing seem to fit quite well in the new price tier, cannot say the same for the shuttle.  It's a step backward from the 75094 IMHO.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yes, just because of how stupid a move by lego/lucasfilm that would be, to wipe a character from merch because they don't like the actress.

Not getting into political opinion, I cannot see Lego including the figure unless the character is recast.

The marvel set where Captain America was included instead of the Black Widow figure is still being brought up (on a high rating Australian primetime quiz show just two days ago) and that was obviously a planning error.

It would be too much controversy for Lego regardless, especially if Lucasfilm has already severed ties. I don't think TLG really care what was said, just what is going to impact their bottom line.

I would much prefer if some regular imperial figure anyway, maybe a dark trooper but preferrably something more regular, like a technician or something.