MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

11 hours ago, The Stud said:

I don’t want to speak for everyone, but I’ll just say that I prefer how some of the the annual threads for other themes (Harry Potter, Marvel, etc.) are streamlined into just one thread (News, Speculation, Rumors, etc). Whenever I want to check on some of those other themes, then I only have one thread to get caught up on when it comes to discussion. When I check on Star Wars, which is the theme I collect and keep up with the most currently, there are three or four threads I need to get caught up when it comes to those particular talking points.

I agree with this completely.

7 hours ago, storskogen said:

One the one hand, I feel many might prefer to visit one place/thread (instead of two) where they can find both news and rumors as well as express their opinion on those news and rumors. That is, this is the place where some might want/expect to find news as it is just more practical. Would it be possible to mark somehow news and rumors in this thread so that people can find them more easily? On the other hand. I totally agree that discussions go very often out of track, and this can be rather frustrating. This is only related to common sense, there should be a common undestanding and culture of using this thread for its purpose, and not initite long digressions because there will be some new series in 2023 or because there is a urgent need to share thoughts on the last Mando episode.

These are pretty much my thoughts. It's not that hard to stop yourself if you find yourself talking about Star Wars content that has nothing to do with Lego or speculating about sets and minifigs with no basis in current rumors and take that to the proper threads. I would understand it more if we had a lot of new posters in here, but mostly everyone in this thread is a regular. I really don't get how people don't know better by now.

This is my main issue with other threads like the Marvel one. The entire last page was almost nothing but discussion about upcoming Marvel projects, and some posters didn't even bother to barely relate it to the topic with a "this minifig/set from this thing would be cool". I'm here for actual substantial Lego news and discussion (this is a Lego forum after all), not unrelated thoughts on Mandalorian episodes or baseless speculation/wishlisting. It's not like there aren't threads to discuss this stuff.

Personally, I don't keep up with too many threads outside of Star Wars, so I don't mind having the threads split up, although I'm probably in the minority there. It is noticeable how much more discussion this thread seems to get than others; I would suggest having a general discussion thread (i.e. not just for set rumours), but that would create yet another one for people to keep up with.

So to sum it up:
Make everything into 1 thread
Speculations with no basis =out (should include i watched x show and y trailer therefore we may get any of those 7000 vehicles in LEGO form)
Nothing to do with LEGO Star Wars = out
Users can additionally put a sign or a letter at the start of their posts if its speculation so busy people can easily skip that post while catching up
Future sets and future minifigures wishlisting should be in 1 thread
There can also be 1 general thread with everything allowed

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

So to sum it up:
Make everything into 1 thread
Speculations with no basis =out (should include i watched x show and y trailer therefore we may get any of those 7000 vehicles in LEGO form)
Nothing to do with LEGO Star Wars = out
Users can additionally put a sign or a letter at the start of their posts if its speculation so busy people can easily skip that post while catching up
Future sets and future minifigures wishlisting should be in 1 thread
There can also be 1 general thread with everything allowed

You do realise you're contradicting yourself here right? Combine everything into 1 thread but make 2 more?

23 hours ago, storskogen said:

One the one hand, I feel many might prefer to visit one place/thread (instead of two) where they can find both news and rumors as well as express their opinion on those news and rumors. That is, this is the place where some might want/expect to find news as it is just more practical. Would it be possible to mark somehow news and rumors in this thread so that people can find them more easily? On the other hand. I totally agree that discussions go very often out of track, and this can be rather frustrating. This is only related to common sense, there should be a common undestanding and culture of using this thread for its purpose, and not initite long digressions because there will be some new series in 2023 or because there is a urgent need to share thoughts on the last Mando episode.

Pretty much this. 

Only thing is, I kind of like having the 'confirmed rumour list' thread, as it gives a very easy and quick to find summary of what is currently known. 

The way the threads are split up at the moment, I literally see no problem with. People are just lazy. 

But we don't née dany further additional threads, the current ones easily cover any variation of discussions. 

If the culture and media thread is dead, its because people are too lazy to go there. There's clearly a need for it as proven inside this thread. If people don't want to literally click a couple of buttons to discuss it there, that's on them. 

People making out like clicking a few buttons is soooo much effort :hmpf:

29 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You do realise you're contradicting yourself here right? Combine everything into 1 thread but make 2 more?

Yes because i am talking about 2 different things and different solutions i prefer the Harry Potter style of thread.
News and Discussion should be made into 1 thread.
Future minifigs and future sets should be in 1 thread,makes no sense to have them separated when people that wishlist sets have a list of figures they want in that certain set aswell.
And if none of that works and you want to keep strict rules just make a general thread and actually enforce the rules here.

26 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

People making out like clicking a few buttons is soooo much effort :hmpf:

That goes both ways. If people dont want to go to dead threads and wish to type it here instead you shouldnt have a problem or pressing few buttons and scrolling through it. I personally didnt even know that media stuff exists here cause i just directly come to this thread and catch up.

Edited by PreVizsla
for mandalore

3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Yes because i am talking about 2 different things and different solutions i prefer the Harry Potter style of thread.
News and Discussion should be made into 1 thread.
Future minifigs and future sets should be in 1 thread,makes no sense to have them separated when people that wishlist sets have a list of figures they want in that certain set aswell.
And if none of that works and you want to keep strict rules just make a general thread and actually enforce the rules here.

That goes both ways. If people dont want to go to dead threads and wish to type it here instead you shouldnt have a problem or pressing few buttons and scrolling through it. I personally didnt even know that media stuff exists here cause i just directly come to this thread and catch up.

While I kind of understand your point, I don't feel it goes both ways-equally. 

If you're trying to find something related to the thread itself or a particular rumour, I'm sure you're aware how tedious and long drawn out it can be reading through pages upon pages of irrelevant stuff to find a relevant point. But not only when it's relevant, then reading through the relevant stuff to find info on a specific rumour. That in itself can't really be avoided, but the unnecessary scrolling/reading through irrelevant stuff can be. 

I don't frequent the future sets/minifigs section much, but since 2008,future minifigs only has 60 pages, while future sets has 260 pages since 2008, and pretty much includes a good discussion of minifigs too. I'm pretty sure that (minifigs) could be merged with future sets too, as they do tie in with each other. 

General discussion is good as it is, as it enables a place for questions on anything, and doesn't add more things to spend time reading though unnecessarily. But it does provide a place where you can go straight to asking a question and easily browse through previous questions. 

To answer specifically about what would one expect to find in this thread, is discussion of said rumours in the news thread, but also discussion of 'is a possible rumour' but not strong enough evidence for it to go in the news thread. 

The news thread doesn't currently list any info about the sets themselves, just the name, price etc. 

If I'm honest, I think that's all it needs to be. Because to keep it updated with the recent rumours places an unnecessary strain of workload on the moderator to ensure its updated 100%, which means they have to research rumours for reliability etc... That shouldn't be on them. Giving a summary, ihmo, is enough. The rest is for us to keep up to date with in this thread. 

The Harry Potter thread with its single thread is good for a read. But try find anything specific from at least a week ago (perhaps could be longer, you only remember roughly it was a week ago(hypothetically speaking) ) is a royal pain in the big behind. It actually takes a fair bit of time to read through stuff (that you already read through) trying to find a specific thing that's already been mentioned. 

Search function is good, but not always successful. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

On 12/12/2020 at 2:37 AM, MKJoshA said:

I WANT YOUR OPINION

We've been cruising along for a couple years now with our current model of having a News thread and a Discussion thread for Star Wars. But recently I've received a number of complaints about how off topic this thread usually is. The previous complaints about the Star Wars thread being off topic focused around readers not being able to find new information. We have the News thread for that now. What is everyone looking for in this thread that they feel like that they have to search for through pages of "off topic" posts? You can post your thoughts here if it's appropriate. But probably best to just send me a PM.

I feel like we need two Star Wars threads: 

One for general Star Wars discussion in which people can talk about anything Lego Star Wars, including current sets, wishlisting and speculating about future sets and minifigures, and even discussing upcoming sets and rumours for the next year. It is very hard for people to not veer off into speculating about future sets or minifigures or general discussion over certain points when debating current sets and news and it stifles discussion when you have to keep making sure you're not going 'off topic'. You also can't just pop over to another thread because those who might have been contributing would all need to know that you're going to continue your discussion in that other thread. But then you have to decide what thread to switch too and it gets even more complicated when you can't discuss X future set in Future Sets and the desire for it to have this minifigure or that minifigure because that's veering off into the Future Minifigures section. It's all too complicated.

Then you can have the News thread which is like it is now and purely for showing the known information about upcoming sets.

46 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I feel like we need two Star Wars threads:

On top of that add another third thread where people can whinge about how little or how many threads they have. Because that is what has been happening here over the last two pages.

Just now, legolandia said:

On top of that add another third thread where people can whinge about how little or how many threads they have. Because that is what has been happening here over the last two pages.

It's been happening over the last two pages because a Mod @MKJoshA asked a specific question about threads.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:27 AM, ToaDraco said:

What a remarkable swath of Star Wars news! We will not be wanting for more Star Wars content or set potential that's for sure. Even if 2021 is lighter on Star Wars sets, it's the calm before the storm and frankly given how awful 2020 has been for my family's financial situation, I'm fine with it. If they can stick with the new scale for future sets, hopefully they can make this theme more affordable than it has been in recent years. Now is the perfect time. Also, good news if you don't like the new X-Wing or TIE Fighter,  there is no shortage of them in our future. :tongue:

It is very good news indeed. However, for us Lego SW fans what would be beneficial is, if the creators of SW movies moved to either 1000 years before or 3-500 years after the current trilogy. That way they would be able to come up with new ship designs (both small and capital ships) which can then be translated into Lego. Otherwise we will just see re-issues of the same 'ol ships.

I am hoping that the Visions series will achieve that to some extent.

Edited by legolandia

14 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

It's been happening over the last two pages because a Mod @MKJoshA asked a specific question about threads.

While that's true @legolandia does have a point. This discussion started because people tend to veer off topic too much (which I don't necessarily agree with but that's not the point) but it's now been way off for almost 2 pages *huh*

Random users trying to mini-mod and shut down discussion that a moderator specifically asked for also doesn’t help this thread any. It’s not like we get a hundred posts a day here—having a couple of pages of discussion of some vaguely relevant topic during what would otherwise be months-long gaps between actual news harms no-one. 

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

@Kdapt-Preacher :thumbup:

I think the fact that the thread has gone silent apart from those who are answering the Mod's question also shows how the set up isn't really working. For instance a few pages ago people were talking about the 2021 1HY sets, which led people on to speculating that they hope the latter half of the year will have more variation of source material. Okay so far, not too off topic. But then that naturally led people to speculate what PT sets might be in line for a remake which led into what minifigures they could come with ... just like that we have crossed over into the Future Sets thread and then into the Future Minifigures thread. Then people complain to the Mods the thread is off topic and true, it is in the current set up, but then that discussion is shut down and now everything's basically gone silent which is a shame. :sad:

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Random users trying to mini-mod and shut down discussion

having a couple of pages of discussion of some vaguely relevant topic during what would otherwise be months-long gaps between actual news harms no-one. 

I've been a member of the Star Wars forum here since 2009 and visit this forum every couple of days. So don't let my low post count deceive you into thinking that I am some "random user". During the 11 years of my membership I have seen plenty of discussions here to know that no matter what style is adopted for the threads there will always be people who will be unhappy with it and will moan. I am neither trying to mini mod nor am I trying to shut down discussion. I am merely stating the reality.

As far as I am aware a new thread can be started for "Vaguely relevant topic". You say harms no one but I beg to differ. I have seen the days when people would discuss "vaguely relevant topics" over 10 or more pages and those of us who like to visit this thread in order to find out what is happening, had to go through pages and pages of irrelevant crap to find a nugget of information. And that put plenty of regular readers off and on several ocassions through the years there have been complaints. In fact the current style is the result of all those years of complaints.

And if you seriously think that there will be "months long gaps" on this thread you need to do some research and will find out how mistaken you are.

In my personal opinion the only thing that has a chance of working here is Mod dictatorship (yes, I am serious). Otherwise it would be a nightmare to control the wild mob with all their wild speculations, wish lists and whatever tom, dick and harry that they start to discuss.

I had not seen @MKJoshA 's post asking to debate this so wasn't aware he had given green light to discuss. Nevertheless, my last couple of posts are not attempts to minimod. On the contrary they are my opinions on the subject that the mod has asked to discuss.

Edited by legolandia

Apparently I'm gonna be in the minority but I don't really mind how off-topic this thread gets at times. Sure, if it was interfering with news that might be a problem - but as far as I've seen, it's not. When we get new news, this thread focuses on that for multiple pages and a day or two before switching back. Unless someone only visits here once every three days, it's usually pretty easy to find the news in my experience.

I guess I could understand why going off-topic in this thread might annoy some people though. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't really matter, but to each his own.

Also, a mod dictatorship is an absolutely awful idea. I mean, yeah, great way to stop any off-topic conversation - and any other conversation with it. We had a bad enough mod a few years ago that pushed me and multiple other people away and turned this place into a joke. Off-topic posts might be annoying, the thread constantly being locked is worse.

Edited by Gremer2

13 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Sure, if it was interfering with news that might be a problem - but as far as I've seen, it's not.

You seem to be basing your opinion on this thread which has 51 pages so far. In previous years this thread has run into 300-400 pages. You try and navigate those if you are someone who visits once a week and I bet you'd change your mind.

I just don't understand why people find it so difficult to stick to the topic?? If they want to discuss something that does not belong to this topic then they simply got the other thread and talk about it.

You say mod dictatorship pushed you away and I say that Mod liberalism pushed me and plenty others away. Hence why I say that no matter what the choice, there will always be poeple that are not happy with it. I remember the days when KimT used to be a mod and there weren't many issues like this. And he could be liberal when needed but at the same time was not scared to rule with the iron fist when required.

Edited by legolandia

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

@Kdapt-Preacher :thumbup:

I think the fact that the thread has gone silent apart from those who are answering the Mod's question also shows how the set up isn't really working. For instance a few pages ago people were talking about the 2021 1HY sets, which led people on to speculating that they hope the latter half of the year will have more variation of source material. Okay so far, not too off topic. But then that naturally led people to speculate what PT sets might be in line for a remake which led into what minifigures they could come with ... just like that we have crossed over into the Future Sets thread and then into the Future Minifigures thread. Then people complain to the Mods the thread is off topic and true, it is in the current set up, but then that discussion is shut down and now everything's basically gone silent which is a shame. :sad:

Is a dead/quiet thread really a problem though? If no one's talking then that means there's nothing to talk about, and that's okay. The thread doesn't need to be constantly kept alive with off-topic discussion, it'll come back when it's needed.

Just now, BigGuy4U said:

Is a dead/quiet thread really a problem though? If no one's talking then that means there's nothing to talk about, and that's okay. The thread doesn't need to be constantly kept alive with off-topic discussion, it'll come back when it's needed.

No a break can be good some times definitely - no point in just rambling on just to keep a thread going. Like you say, this thread will undoubtedly reunite when the new sets comes out if not before if we get any new 2021 information. But my point was that this thread was alive with discussion, but because it went off topic it got shut down, but that discussion hasn't transitioned over to another thread. And I think it's because people do want to discuss things, but topics overlap so much they're not sure which thread to go to, or they start a discussion in another thread and it never really takes off because despite the title I think most people see this as the 'main' thread.

In quite the surprise this afternoon, my Kohl's had the Mando set! I picked it up obviously, and I'm very excited to put it together this afternoon.

Glad to have it in time for the finale.

@Falconfan1414 if you're still looking for 2021 barcodes, I dm'd you the Mando one on instagram.

Edited by nintendude64

I think the bottom line is: does having such restrictions make discussion more fun and productive and I would argue it does not. Over the years I've found myself engaging less and less with the Star Wars forum because the strict mods, people who aren't mods mini-modding and the general unpleasantness that often comes from this thread makes all of this more of a chore and and stifles the flow of discussion. While the threads in other topics like Marvel can veer into a variety of subjects adjacent to the LEGO sets themselves, I'm of the opinion that it's still relevant to the core topic. 

I really don't think it's necessary to divide up discussion into 5-10 narrowly specific threads rather than have 1 that encompasses them all because frankly the way it is currently,  the set discussion thread essentially boils down to everyone saying "I like this set" or "I hate this set" and that's hardly what I would call interesting "discussion".

Edited by ToaDraco

21 minutes ago, legolandia said:

You seem to be basing your opinion on this thread which has 51 pages so far. In previous years this thread has run into 300-400 pages. You try and navigate those if you are someone who visits once a week and I bet you'd change your mind.

I just don't understand why people find it so difficult to stick to the topic?? If they want to discuss something that does not belong to this topic then they simply got the other thread and talk about it.

You say mod dictatorship pushed you away and I say that Mod liberalism pushed me and plenty others away. Hence why I say that no matter what the choice, there will always be poeple that are not happy with it. I remember the days when KimT used to be a mod and there weren't many issues like this. And he could be liberal when needed but at the same time was not scared to rule with the iron fist when required.

They have 3-400 pages now. That's an average of around one new page per day. At the time when they were relevant, it would only be difficult if someone only came here once a week and had to dig through 7 pages, and even then, 2-3 would have news, if any at all. I've watched this place for years, though I barely ever talk. I'm not new.

10 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I think the bottom line is: does having such restrictions make discussion more fun and productive and I would argue it does not. Over the years I've found myself engaging less and less with the Star Wars forum because the strict mods, people who aren't mods mini-modding and the general unpleasantness that often comes from this thread makes all of this more of a chore and and stifles the flow of discussion. While the threads in other topics like Marvel can veer into a variety of subjects adjacent to the LEGO sets themselves, I'm of the opinion that it's still relevant to the core topic. 

I really don't think it's necessary to divide up discussion into 5-10 narrowly specific threads rather than have 1 that encompasses them all because frankly the way it is currently,  the set discussion thread essentially boils down to everyone saying "I like this set" or "I hate this set" and that's hardly what I would call interesting "discussion".

Exactly this. And to add to it, we don't get a lot of news anymore. We get maybe some information once a month. If we're only going to talk about sets, that'll kill conversation fast. There's nothing to talk about most of the time except for, as you said, how people feel about sets, which is just boring.

4 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

And suggested we PM him them, like I did. This is the most off-topic the thread has ever been, and it's about how to get the threat on-topic! 

Does anyone know what the third helmet is? It seems odd that we'd know what the other two are but not the third.

12 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And suggested we PM him them, like I did. This is the most off-topic the thread has ever been, and it's about how to get the threat on-topic! 

Does anyone know what the third helmet is? It seems odd that we'd know what the other two are but not the third.

Well that happened last year too, we knew about Boba and Stormtrooper but didn't know what the TIE Pilot was until images finally leaked. Guess we're following the same pattern this year for some reason.