MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

10 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

Are those vertical streaks on the pilot helmet new?

No. The lines on the helmet were introduced in the tie striker set in 2016.

The new TIE fighter is up on the Australian Lego store (the only one of the new models to appear so far). Price is $70aud. For comparison the AAT which is also a $40usd model here goes for $60 :ugh:

I don’t think COVID has anything to do with how this wave was designed. If that was a factor, other themes would be affected as well, which they aren’t.

They probably just decided to do a cost-efficient wave and that’s it :shrug_oh_well: Maybe they went consistently over-budget in the last 6 years (which I would believe) and were ordered to go easy on the budget now that no new films are on the horizon for the time being

^I certainly hope so. I would love this new scale adjustment of the TIE fighter and X-Wing to be continued in more sets over the coming years. Gotta get myself a B-Wing after 20 years...

16 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Besides, what possible new molds do the figures this wave need? (or any figures that would likely show up in these sets, for that matter).

Whenever this point is brought up, the counter is always "well they should've added something that needs new molds then". I don't agree, if all of the molds used in the sets suit their purpose I'm satisfied, just playing a bit of devil's advocate here.

I'm going in speculation territory so please do tell me if this is forbidden! The other day I was just thinking about the figure selection for the imperial shuttle. It's a bit of a stretch but maybe it could be a sign that another endor set is coming this summer (endor bunker or ewok related), just like the landspeeder and Obi-Wan's hut kind of fit with the Mos Eisley Cantina?

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

I don't agree, if all of the molds used in the sets suit their purpose I'm satisfied, just playing a bit of devil's advocate here.

In this case, they couldn’t even do that and reverted back to an ancient mould instead of using the (IMO vastly superior) dual-moulded counterpart :tongue: I’m baffled they retired a perfectly good helmet piece to go back to the cheap, old one. That’s not even excusable for last year’s 4+ X-Wing since Poe’s helmet in the upcoming 4+ Resistance X-Wing is the usual dual-moulded piece.

I know people love to complain about that piece, but that can’t be the reason they retired it, especially in less than a year. If our complaints were to be blamed, the new Stormie would have disappeared in a split-second :laugh_hard: I wonder if we ever find out why it’s only appeared in a single set

Edited by Lego-Freak

2 hours ago, Legopls said:

It's a bit of a stretch but maybe it could be a sign that another endor set is coming this summer (endor bunker or ewok related), just like the landspeeder and Obi-Wan's hut kind of fit with the Mos Eisley Cantina?

I can really see a MBS Endor bunker in the future. But yes, it’s still speculation.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

In this case, they couldn’t even do that and reverted back to an ancient mould instead of using the (IMO vastly superior) dual-moulded counterpart :tongue: I’m baffled they retired a perfectly good helmet piece to go back to the cheap, old one. That’s not even excusable for last year’s 4+ X-Wing since Poe’s helmet in the upcoming 4+ Resistance X-Wing is the usual dual-moulded piece.

I know people love to complain about that piece, but that can’t be the reason they retired it, especially in less than a year. If our complaints were to be blamed, the new Stormie would have disappeared in a split-second :laugh_hard: I wonder if we ever find out why it’s only appeared in a single set

if I were to guess, the new mold was too big and impractical and prevented cockpit canopies from closing in both the 4+ X-Wing as well as lego's beloved snowspeeder

4 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Whenever this point is brought up, the counter is always "well they should've added something that needs new molds then". I don't agree, if all of the molds used in the sets suit their purpose I'm satisfied, just playing a bit of devil's advocate here.

To play devil's advocate to the devil's advocate (angel's advocate?), based off the sets made nothing required a new mold besides the new molds they already made. What figure that could realistically be in an ANH Tie fighter, ANH x-wing, or Imperial shuttle could use a new mold? Aside from maybe a new obscure ewok in the shuttle, there's nothing.

3 hours ago, Legopls said:

I'm going in speculation territory so please do tell me if this is forbidden! The other day I was just thinking about the figure selection for the imperial shuttle. It's a bit of a stretch but maybe it could be a sign that another endor set is coming this summer (endor bunker or ewok related), just like the landspeeder and Obi-Wan's hut kind of fit with the Mos Eisley Cantina?

That's....not entirely implausible... after all, there were plenty of side builds in the cantina (other landspeeders, smaller building, etc) that could have been luke's landspeeder, and we know for a fact that the cantina was in production long before the other 2020 sets. An Endor set isn't super implausible, though it might be a normal set and not an MBS since we tend to get those every other year.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Even if you think that it's an improvement upon the old one (which most people seem to think it isn't), it was changed back two years before this wave, so it's not exactly this wave's "fault" per se.

1 minute ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To play devil's advocate to the devil's advocate (angel's advocate?), based off the sets made nothing required a new mold besides the new molds they already made. What figure that could realistically be in an ANH Tie fighter, ANH x-wing, or Imperial shuttle could use a new mold?

Objection! To play some other type of advocate, “ANH” is the main issue here :tongue: Why did this have to be an OT wave? If only there was a hugely popular series out now that also features X-Wings and TIE Fighters... :head_back:

And don’t tell me kids would rather have their 10th dumb boring pilot Luke fig rather than something from Mando :hmpf_bad: I can’t stand that stupid minifig any more, it’s worse than angry clone! They rival my brick separator collection! I could build an ugly table out of them!

Seriously, please stop. Pilot Luke has to be the most common SW minifig that isn’t an army builder. The only one I kind of liked was the 2018 one, the rest can melt. 

...can’t wait for the next one in the 2021 summer wave snowspeeder :sick:

23 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

.can’t wait for the next one in the 2021 summer wave snowspeeder :sick:

If its got a proper canopy piece, then I'll take it and thank them for spending their budget wisely.

Give 'em some credit. We got Wedge in the 4+ one.

20 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Seriously, please stop. Pilot Luke has to be the most common SW minifig that isn’t an army builder. The only one I kind of liked was the 2018 one, the rest can melt. 

Ah but the pilot Luke in 2021 is a new pilot Luke ... his tubing goes the complete opposite way and everything. :wink: :wall:

19 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Objection! To play some other type of advocate, “ANH” is the main issue here :tongue: Why did this have to be an OT wave? If only there was a hugely popular series out now that also features X-Wings and TIE Fighters... :head_back:

And don’t tell me kids would rather have their 10th dumb boring pilot Luke fig rather than something from Mando :hmpf_bad: I can’t stand that stupid minifig any more, it’s worse than angry clone! They rival my brick separator collection! I could build an ugly table out of them!

Stop being ridiculous, we've got to have a rescaled Landspeeder before the Snowspeeder! 

In all seriousness, Luke is essentially the main character of Star Wars. Lego probably wants him available in any wave. Not to mention, kids will recognize him over someone like Jek Porkins. I don't think Squadrons, unfortunately, has enough power to warrant specific versions of their vehicles as well. 

$70 AUD for the TIE? Disgusting. That’s the price you could get the old ones for when they were on sale, suddenly it’s just another overpriced set. :hmpf:

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

Ah but the pilot Luke in 2021 is a new pilot Luke ... his tubing goes the complete opposite way and everything. :wink: :wall:

That changes everything :head_back:

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

Give 'em some credit. We got Wedge in the 4+ one.

The other pilots can melt too for all I care, unless they have unique helmets :tongue:

1 hour ago, Gontron said:

Stop being ridiculous, we've got to have a rescaled Landspeeder before the Snowspeeder! 

That one will hit shelves January 2022 of course :snicker:

1 hour ago, Gontron said:

In all seriousness, Luke is essentially the main character of Star Wars. Lego probably wants him available in any wave.

Luke always being available on shelves is reasonable, him being in multiple sets almost every wave less so :purrr: This isn’t Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, DC, or Pirates of the Caribbean; I think the kids can manage a wave or two without one of the main characters

The price increase for the TIE Fighter in Australia is really disappointing. Charging us extra defeats the purpose of making these new sets more affordable in the first place.

4 hours ago, storskogen said:

I can really see a MBS Endor bunker in the future. But yes, it’s still speculation.

If the pattern holds, I think next fall's D2C set would either be a UCS ship or D2C vehicle, since the past four years went, if I remember right, UCS Falcon -> Cloud City -> UCS Star Destroyer + D2C Tantive IV -> Cantina

Speaking of which, is there a retirement date yet for the Falcon?  I remember rumors that it would be done after 2020 but it seems to still be around?

2 hours ago, Gontron said:

In all seriousness, Luke is essentially the main character of Star Wars. Lego probably wants him available in any wave. Not to mention, kids will recognize him over someone like Jek Porkins. I don't think Squadrons, unfortunately, has enough power to warrant specific versions of their vehicles as well. 

This is a legitimate thing.  When I was younger, I actually never had a Luke figure - every single one was in a set that was too expensive or retired.  It was the same problem with Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and so on.  Outside of the very first couple of years of the line, cheap sets didn't have as many main characters like they do now.  If you wanted a ANH Han, you had to buy a $100+ Millenium Falcon, same deal with Chewbacca.  Now, between Microfighters, 4+ and many cheap sets containing main characters, it's pretty easy for people to get the main characters without breaking the bank.

Edited by Kit Figsto

1 hour ago, wesker said:

The price increase for the TIE Fighter in Australia is really disappointing. Charging us extra defeats the purpose of making these new sets more affordable in the first place.

$60 including tax would be the same price as the US. We get a $10 Australia tax. The X-wing isn’t up yet but the lowest I expect it to be $80 but possibly $100.

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Overruled! With the new scale they're trying, there's no doubt that an ANH x-wing and TIE are the two best options. They are the two most iconic vehicles in star wars. No question.

As for how many times he shows up, it's because he's essential to two iconic vehicles, snowspeeder and OT x-wing, and he's usually in a third. Fun fact: I didn't have a pilot luke until 2018, and I had to bricklink a head and helmet because the 2018 one had that awful duel molded one.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

If the pattern holds, I think next fall's D2C set would either be a UCS ship or D2C vehicle, since the past four years went, if I remember right, UCS Falcon -> Cloud City -> UCS Star Destroyer + D2C Tantive IV -> Cantina

Speaking of which, is there a retirement date yet for the Falcon?  I remember rumors that it would be done after 2020 but it seems to still be around?

This is a legitimate thing.  When I was younger, I actually never had a Luke figure - every single one was in a set that was too expensive or retired.  It was the same problem with Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and so on.  Outside of the very first couple of years of the line, cheap sets didn't have as many main characters like they do now.  If you wanted a ANH Han, you had to buy a $100+ Millenium Falcon, same deal with Chewbacca.  Now, between Microfighters, 4+ and many cheap sets containing main characters, it's pretty easy for people to get the main characters without breaking the bank.

Yeah, it'll be a UCS vehicle. 2HY D2Cs have gone (I think): Assault on Hoth (reason for the creation of the MBS label), UCS falcon, MBS Betrayal at Bespin, UCS star destroyer, MBS cantina. So maybe next we'll get a UCS AT-AT or something? 

Yeah, when I was younger I had to hunt down a magnet set for han, and my luke was the celebration character from some book's head and hair on a voldermort body with an ahsoka lightsaber. I believe I was only able to get Leia from a magnet, too.

When I was a kid I got most of my main characters from a bulk lot. The only genuine OT figures I had were Han and Chewie. I had pilot Luke with Dak’s helmet and Vader’s helmet on a police officer’s body, no Leia. I also had Qui-Gon and Jar Jar, that was it. Even when Clone Wars came out I could only afford smaller sets, and as such I only had Anakin. I didn’t get most of the main characters until I saved my money and got the Death Star, and by then I wasn’t really playing with my LEGO anymore. 

I love seeing main characters in cheap sets. The more often they turn up, the better. I just wish they’d balance it out with some more troopers, the lack of figures in Star Wars sets is very disappointing given the amount of figs other themes get. 

Edited by Brikkyy13

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, when I was younger I had to hunt down a magnet set for han, and my luke was the celebration character from some book's head and hair on a voldermort body with an ahsoka lightsaber. I believe I was only able to get Leia from a magnet, too.

I had a similar experience, I think I bought the watch that had ROTJ Luke (sadly I've lost the hair piece and I forgot if it came with a lightsaber, but I know I still have the body, legs and face!), I don't think I had a Leia or Han until I was older (heck, I still don't have an ANH Leia other than the celebration one from the Y-Wing), and I think my first Chewbacca figure wasn't until Cloud City.  Same deal with Vader and Boba Fett, for a while those guys were really rare and I still don't even know if I ever got a set that had an original Vader.  

12 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I don’t think COVID has anything to do with how this wave was designed. If that was a factor, other themes would be affected as well, which they aren’t.

They probably just decided to do a cost-efficient wave and that’s it :shrug_oh_well: Maybe they went consistently over-budget in the last 6 years (which I would believe) and were ordered to go easy on the budget now that no new films are on the horizon for the time being

I would believe that as well; that being said, to be clear, there are new films "on the horizon" at the moment - just not for 2021. They haven't yet moved the debut for the next trilogy from 2023, and for TLG, that probably means that they're already working on concept art if not models.

Edited by Azani

43 minutes ago, Azani said:

I would believe that as well; that being said, to be clear, there are new films "on the horizon" at the moment - just not for 2021. They haven't yet moved the debut for the next trilogy from 2023, and for TLG, that probably means that they're already working on concept art if not models.

I don't think lego works 3 years in advance on their system sets. I don't even know if there is much concept art for the 2023 film (we don't yet know if it's a trilogy), seeing as there's been almost no info on it and they keep announcing and cancelling trilogies (game of thrones guys trilogy, maybe rian johnson's I forget if that's still happening, etc)

48 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I had a similar experience, I think I bought the watch that had ROTJ Luke (sadly I've lost the hair piece and I forgot if it came with a lightsaber, but I know I still have the body, legs and face!), I don't think I had a Leia or Han until I was older (heck, I still don't have an ANH Leia other than the celebration one from the Y-Wing), and I think my first Chewbacca figure wasn't until Cloud City.  Same deal with Vader and Boba Fett, for a while those guys were really rare and I still don't even know if I ever got a set that had an original Vader.  

I don't remember if I ever had a set with vader's old helmet mold. On the other hand, i had an absurd amount of the old chewbaccas without printing.

Edited by Mandalorianknight