MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

The new X-Wing, TIE, and Imperial Shuttle give me hope that we’ll finally see a properly sized and proportioned Snowspeeder with a proper canopy.  I’d pay $30 for that without thinking twice.  

Honestly, I know I’ve posted quite a bit about the new “affordable-scale,” but I would absolutely love it if they ushered in soft reboot of the license, at least as far as the classic ships are concerned.  I can see why this could be controversial for some, though. 

3 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

The new X-Wing, TIE, and Imperial Shuttle give me hope that we’ll finally see a properly sized and proportioned Snowspeeder with a proper canopy.  I’d pay $30 for that without thinking twice.  

Honestly, I know I’ve posted quite a bit about the new “affordable-scale,” but I would absolutely love it if they ushered in soft reboot of the license, at least as far as the classic ships are concerned.  I can see why this could be controversial for some, though. 

I agree and I would definitely be down with a Snowspeeder like that. They've needed a new canopy for a long, long time. I think the fact that LEGO has greatly expanded the number and variety of small, useful pieces has made it a lot easier for designers to pack a ton of detail in a smaller package making it easier to make smaller models just as detailed. Single person fighters outside of Delta-7s, Delta-7bs and Eta-2s, have become waaay too large and expensive and reducing the scale while keeping the level of detail is possible now in a way it was not before and it's a great thing for everyone. Also, throwing in more figures just makes things so much better even if they're duplicates for a lot of people.

3 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

I dont mind new "affordable-scale" sets personally,but i have a problem of them being all OT which excludes half a fan base.  And even if you are OT fan and you have ucs imperial shuttle and smaller shuttle Tydirium do you really need to spend 80$ on 3rd,4th of 5th shuttle which is smaller,uglier and bulkier? Also this is like 12th x-wing? And why are they rebooting the sets? All new recent fans either came back to LEGO cause of clone wars ending,mandalorian or little kids that grew up with sequels and there is like 1 set for them to buy from September of 2020 to maybe august of 2021 if that wave even gets a non ot set.

X-wing and Falcon microfighter pics are on S@H: Luke Skywalker’s X-Wing Fighter™ 75301 | Star Wars™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop GB

X-wing looks pretty good for what it is, Leia seems to be the same as in the Tantive IV. Dodonna also seems to have a new hairpiece mould which is nice, his figure looks great.

After all the fanfare about brown jacket Han, it seems we're getting just regular old Han in the microfighter.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Just now, TeddytheSpoon said:

X-wing has gone up on UK S@H: Luke Skywalker’s X-Wing Fighter™ 75301 | Star Wars™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop GB

Looks pretty good for what it is, Leia seems to be the same as in the Tantive IV. Dodonna also seems to have a new hairpiece mould which is nice, his figure looks great.

Damn did they really update the x-wing pilot torso but neglect to put snowspeeder pilots in the past what, three hoth sets?

Aside from that though, this x-wing looks great! They don't seem to have sacrificed much in terms of size, and the detail is still for the most part on par with the last one. In a few areas, I'd say it's even better!

Edited by Makin Bacon

7 minutes ago, Makin Bacon said:

Damn did they really update the x-wing pilot torso but neglect to put snowspeeder pilots in the past what, three hoth sets?

Aside from that though, this x-wing looks great! They don't seem to have sacrificed much in terms of size, and the detail is still for the most part on par with the last one. In a few areas, I'd say it's even better!

I didn't realise the torso had been updated, any major differences? They're so ridiculously detailed now it's hard to keep up!

I don't own the previous one but looking at pics the smaller nose and engines do improve the look quite dramatically, the new one looks a lot sleeker than 75218 IMO. And it's half the price!

Holy cow.  They did it.  They actually did it.  CENTER-PIVOT WINGS on the X-wing.  I've been wanting those for YEARS.  That gets this version an A+++ from me, whatever the other details are.  I also like the new 3W engine pieces (borrowed from Minions goggles) that finally have the proper length of the engine cylinders ahead of the wing leading edges.

1 minute ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I didn't realise the torso had been updated, any major differences? They're so ridiculously detailed now it's hard to keep up!

I don't own the previous one but looking at pics the smaller nose and engines do improve the look quite dramatically, the new one looks a lot sleeker than 75218 IMO. And it's half the price!

From looking at it and the Biggs Darklighter on my desk, the differences appear to be as follows

-The white vest appears smaller/squarer, with the white printing being better, though this may not be the case with the minifigure in person

-The panel on the front appears bluer, slightly askew, and the tube running from it goes the opposite direction and goes back up to the torso rather than down the legs

-some additional lines on the jumpsuit

-4 "flares" on the right leg as opposed to 3

-flare strap appears to be brown, was previously dark bluish grey

-more details on the harness around the legs

Everything else appears to just be slight differences of the same details

TIE Fighter pictures are up on the US Shop at Home, too.  I wasn't planning on getting this before seeing the high-res pics, but now it's back on my list.  My ever-growing, much-too-long-to-afford list ....

...what happened to this theme‘s budget? I knew we wouldn‘t get any new moulds or recoloured pieces in terms of minifigs, but I can‘t spot anything in the builds either :sceptic: I was hoping for a new canopy or something, but nada :tongue: 

Well, they have to compensate for the increased Ideas budget somehow :devil: 

9 minutes ago, Makin Bacon said:

From looking at it and the Biggs Darklighter on my desk, the differences appear to be as follows

-The white vest appears smaller/squarer, with the white printing being better, though this may not be the case with the minifigure in person

-The panel on the front appears bluer, slightly askew, and the tube running from it goes the opposite direction and goes back up to the torso rather than down the legs

-some additional lines on the jumpsuit

-4 "flares" on the right leg as opposed to 3

-flare strap appears to be brown, was previously dark bluish grey

-more details on the harness around the legs

Everything else appears to just be slight differences of the same details

Good eye! Seems they've tweaked it a fair bit then, although I'll wait to pass judgment on the white printing until I have one in hand.

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

...what happened to this theme‘s budget? I knew we wouldn‘t get any new moulds or recoloured pieces in terms of minifigs, but I can‘t spot anything in the builds either :sceptic: I was hoping for a new canopy or something, but nada :tongue: 

Is Dodonna's hairpiece not a new mould? I know it's not much, but still :shrug_oh_well: Never mind, I stand corrected.

Also, the way this wave is being unveiled seems a bit odd. We now know what the Tauntaun microfighter set looks like from the back of the Falcon box but they haven't revealed it, and the shuttle is nowhere to be seen. Is it always this piecemeal?

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Is Dodonna's hairpiece not a new mould?

No.

2 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

the shuttle is nowhere to be seen

It comes out a month later.

Is Dodonna's hairpiece not a new mould? I know it's not much, but still :shrug_oh_well:

It‘s the Doc Brown hairpiece, even in the same colour :wink:

And what‘s up with the stud shooters in the Taun-taun & AT-AT microfighter? Is that supposed to make up for the lack of battle packs? Needless to say, it doesn’t :tongue:

Well those sets are definitely something.

Han Solo's microfighter is a bit disappointing. The build is exactly what I expected, but Han Solo in there is so... common. Was hoping for brown jacket variant.

As for X-Wing and TIE Fighter, they look awesome. I love the builds (especially the X-Wing), the minifgures are also great. What makes these sets amazing are the prices tho.

New smaller X-wing is too good ! Surprisingly proportions are good, and new minifgigs are main selling point for me. Leia from 2019 with dress piece and Doddana. Must buy!

Falcon microfighter is huge disappointment as it's just remake of EP 4 Falcon, and not Solo version. Still, nice Han figure.

Tie also looks nice, but I have 2018 one which is almost perfection, so no need to buy new one, and minifigs are lackluster.

I really have to say damn. I was looking forward to this wave to let my wallet breathe, but both the X-Wing and the TIE look really good. Maybe a bit too much good.
I'm not too sure about the new nose design and there definitely seems to be a step back regarding the back of the X-wing, which looks too square, but those wings and engines are definitely what I wanted from the 2018 one. Also it has landing skids for the back, something that has been missing for quite a while.
The TIE looks quite good too, I like the scale -a right balance between the 2018 one and the 4+ one- and although I miss the top 6x6 hatch they briefly used back in 2015/6 the cockpit still looks round enough to me. And that price for a TIE is simply something we've all been missing for a while.

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

I dont mind new "affordable-scale" sets personally,but i have a problem of them being all OT which excludes half a fan base.  And even if you are OT fan and you have ucs imperial shuttle and smaller shuttle Tydirium do you really need to spend 80$ on 3rd,4th of 5th shuttle which is smaller,uglier and bulkier? Also this is like 12th x-wing? And why are they rebooting the sets? All new recent fans either came back to LEGO cause of clone wars ending,mandalorian or little kids that grew up with sequels and there is like 1 set for them to buy from September of 2020 to maybe august of 2021 if that wave even gets a non ot set.

Well I mean half isn't correct, it'd either be a third (going by trilogy) or a very small percentage since most people don't exclusively buy sets from one trilogy. There are 3 of this new type of set so far, and to try it out they chose the two objectively most iconic starfighters and another iconic ship that was due for a remake. OT sets must sell the best based on how many they make, so that's another reason they made the first 3 OT. so if you want to see prequel sets in this style, you better hope these sell well. 
Also, what's your logic for people only coming back to lego because clone wars ended or mandalorian came out? I haven't seen any evidence on that.

27 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Well, they have to compensate for the increased Ideas budget somehow :devil: 

Tons of new prints at least, and I can't tell if those are new molds for the gray on the x-wing engines? haven't seen those before.

Anyway, what other new molds would we need for this? Canopies are pretty accurate already for the x-wing and TIE, and none of the other figures need them. Maybe a new hood for leia, but that's not something she wears in that scene anyway.

20 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

And what‘s up with the stud shooters in the Taun-taun & AT-AT microfighter? Is that supposed to make up for the lack of battle packs? Needless to say, it doesn’t :tongue:

it's for the lack of stud shooters on the microfighters themselves. Honestly, I'll take it. Makes the micros look a bit better, and luke still has his lightsaber so it's only replacing the pistol for the AT-AT pilot, a character that doesn't see combat in the films (and doesn't have time to get to his blaster before be knocked out in rebels and fallen order).

Overall thoughts on the new sets:

X-wing is amazing. Super detailed for it's size, it looks good enough that I'm considering getting this even though I already have the 2018 x-wing. Figures are great too. 4 in a $50 set isn't bad at all, especially since it includes a new character, new prints for luke (We can now definitely say without a shadow of a doubt that the "new" helmet design is dead!), a rare leia variant, and...I guess R2 is necessary for the set.

TIE fighter is great too, I have a minor gripe with them refusing to recolor that ball joint as it does impact how it looks, but it's still a great set. Figures are good, the TIE and stormtrooper are fine and the updated protocol droid (in a set $460 cheaper than before) is good too. The ball joint is what does it for me, as minor as it is, I'll stick with the 2018 variant, but if I didn't already have it, I'd take the $40 TIE with a minor color issue over the one that's $30 more.

Falcon Microfighter is a microfighter, somewhat disappointed it's the same old han but meh. Wonder what the cancelled one was. Tauntaun VS AT-AT is good, a good way to get hoth luke cheap.

I'm loving this new affordable scale, they've shown they can definitely make good, detailed sets at a good size for almost half the price.

I admit that I was pretty disappointed when the first rumor list came out, but these actually look pretty good! I already planned on getting the Mando and Microfighter sets for the figures mainly, but I think that I’ll get two of the TIE Fighters to display next to Vader’s Castle and I might as well get the X-Wing to complete the wave.

Overall, I’m feeling better about this wave, though I hope we’ll get more interesting sets in the summer!

Edited by The Stud

7 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Well those sets are definitely something.

Han Solo's microfighter is a bit disappointing. The build is exactly what I expected, but Han Solo in there is so... common. Was hoping for brown jacket variant.

As for X-Wing and TIE Fighter, they look awesome. I love the builds (especially the X-Wing), the minifgures are also great. What makes these sets amazing are the prices tho.

I'm happy to have the ANH variant.  This will be cheaper than getting ANH Han off Bricklink, and I desperately need a modern Han Solo to go with my TROS Falcon.

How does this X-wing improve on the last model?  Let me count the ways ...

1. Proper long guns on the wings, for the first time since 2012.
  2. Engine cylinders that (for the first time ever) actually stick out in front of the wings the proper distance.
  3. A droid station that lets R2-D2 sit with head and shoulders outside, for the first time ever.
  4. Proper rear landing gear, for the first time since 1999.
  5. A return to the inverted wedge piece used on the lower-fuselage "step" in the 2012 model, after the inaccurate curves used ever since.
  6. (Stickered) detailing of the aft half of the wing wedges, for the first time ever.
  7. Oh, and did I mention center-pivot wings?  Center-pivot wings that attach with Technic pins and don't need rubber bands?  That's an epochal improvement, it finally brings the set wing mechanisms into MOC territory.

How was the last model better than this one?  Let me count the ways ...

1. They looked bad, but the four spring shooters and two stud shooters were really fun for play.
  2. I don't like the new nose cone.
  3. The new fuselage is slab-sided and boxy, which looks bad.
  4. The new cockpit looks more cramped and less detailed, because the canopy is moved forward 1 stud relative to the wedge plate that forms the aft end of the nose.

On the whole, then, this new one is a real improvement - even without looking at the lower price.  I think I'm gonna buy three, two for myself and one for a friend.  Plus one of the TIE fighters and one or two of the Han Solo microfighters.  And there's ANH Leia!  That's another figure I've been wanting that I now won't need to get from Bricklink for an arm and a leg.

I'm really impressed with how well the X-Wing and TIE turned out! Hopefully LEGO can keep the fighters at this scale for a long time. Half the price of the previous ones with just as much detail and accuracy with a decent number of figures, yes please! I'll definitely be buying both. It's so crazy that you can buy both of these together for the same price as the last X-Wing. There may not be anything crazy new or exciting this wave aside from the Mando set but this soft reset of set sizes is incredibly exciting on its own and bodes well for the future of the theme. Of course they were going to start with OT for this experiment but I'm sure they'll do the same for the ST... eventually. The PT sets never had this problem so it's understandable why they didn't include any for this wave. I'm confident we'll see some later in the year.  Personally I would love to see a new Naboo N1 that's far more accurate than the previous versions but I digress.

Edited by ToaDraco

The General Dodonna figure is very well done. Will probably try to buy him separately.

I personally think the X-Wing looks terrible, but at least it's affordable. The 4x6 curved plates behind the canopy and the 4x6 studded plates behind the engine just look terrible. The ski piece for the landing gear however is great. TIE Fighter is a little better in terms of design, but I have the Solo one so don't feel the need to grab this one too. Unfortunate it seems that the massive Stormtrooper helmet is here to stay. I get the Rogue One helmets off Bricklink as often as I see them.

Mandalorian set is great since I did not get the Razor Crest, the arm printing is awesome.

I am intrigued by the Lambda shuttle, but I do not have high hopes after seeing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter in this scale. Hopefully it includes a new Imperial officer rank or something similar.

Edited by mediumsnowman

WOW this is some pleasant surprise! Love the X-Wing and TIE Fighter. This is perfect for people who want to army-build these vehicles. If I were to nit-pick, I'm disappointed that the TIE fighter was not the rumored Moff Gideon TIE 

Edited by HarryVader

It's a nice wave, but I already have an X-Wing I'm happy with and am holding out on buying a TIE fighter in the foolish hope that they'll eventually release a TIE Outlander, so the only one I'll actually buy is The Mandalorian set.

If this is what we should expect in terms of vehicle sets in the future, we should be very excited. Affordable whilst still looking detailed and to scale, with a good selection of minifigures. Hopefully it could lead to Lego releasing more obscure ships in the future due to lower prices all around making it more enticing to everyone, so we can get things we never would've gotten otherwise like the Guavian Death Gang's ship (I love those guys and hope to see more of them) or the TIE Reaper lander.