Pate-keetongu

[MOC] Grand Hotel Kudelma

51118653062_b6234b455b_b.jpg

Here's my grand pandemic work (and hopefully the last of those, for a while). This is inspired by Usko Nyströmi's Imatra State Hotel (1903) and Von Essen-Kallio-Ikäläinen office's Norma building (1904) Helsinki's Katajanokka. Stone shards embedded into plaster were common in Nyström's work, and I re-created them with 1x1 plates. The model measures 64 x 96 units, is quite realistic in means of minifig scale, and is the biggest single building I've ever done.

51119132163_4118632666_b.jpg

It's a hotel by name but I didn't want to stress the hotel esque of it, rather focusing on the architecture. For example the Imatra State Hotel doesn't have any big hotel signs, which fitted fine. There are also unspecified business spaces on the ground floor.

51118653047_9ff43e9498_b.jpg

The grey ground floor, white walls with sand green window frames and stone ornaments, along with the dark red roof, imitate the polychrome approach on materials, characteristic for the age's architecture. The rounded corners required quite a bit of SNOT-work, but the zig-zag inside also reinforces the walls. The building divides into three 32x64 sections, and as it's empty, it's useful for storing things not needed everyday, for example guitar amp and gas burner fro Trangia.

More photos on the blog!

:wub: Impressive building! There's plenty of small details that really make it, like the various shaped windows and the arch decorations using handcuffs + boat plates.

As much as I enjoy the round tower breaking up the square/rectangular footprint of the building, it does stick out with the way you did the wall, although I can't think of any other method at that size that would've made it smoother. The way you fulled the gaps on the tower roof is great though!

That is an incredible build, I really like all of the different windows and arch details, and the round wall is great, and I agree with other comments that the roof on the tower is excellent. The colours you have chosen work really well together and the plants at the front are really well done too. By the way, what is the piece you used for the tree trunk?

Gotta love that transition to the tower! I think you pulled off the colour scheme really nicely.and it suits the Lego version probably better than the black/white colour scheme of the original. This kind of building is usually one that I tend to avoid for all the bulbous shapes and odd transitions throughout but I'm really impressed with how you've made it look so effortless. I also think most of the creative liberties work in its favour :pir-sweet:. Superb job Eero!

Thanks everyone!

On 4/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, admiral_typhoon said:

As much as I enjoy the round tower breaking up the square/rectangular footprint of the building, it does stick out with the way you did the wall, although I can't think of any other method at that size that would've made it smoother. The way you fulled the gaps on the tower roof is great though!

It would have been smoother if I would have made the tower with 1x2 round plates... But that would have taken thousands! It's definitely a thing I'll explore more in the future, making a tower like this with smooth SNOT, like the other curved corner.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:27 AM, Stuartn said:

By the way, what is the piece you used for the tree trunk?

It is the dinosaur tail (thick section) in old dark grey, from 2003's Studios Jurassic Park set.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, Actionfigure said:

Does it have an interior?

No. I was more interested in the overall mass, and inner structures - floors, inner walls, ceilings - would have taken massive amount of pieces. I don't like houses with removable floors personally, as they limit the outer construction (like SNOT corners) rather severely. I'm however planning to make a "cross section" building in the future, showing some furnished rooms, shafts, strairwells, roof trusses and so on; but that will be anothe project.

17 hours ago, paupadros said:

I think you pulled off the colour scheme really nicely.and it suits the Lego version probably better than the black/white colour scheme of the original.

Thanks! At least the original facade drawings of the State Hotel have red roofs. There are no coloured photographs on this, but also some early paintings show them red. The current roofs were restored in 80s, as the hotel was bombed quite a bit in the second world war. I prefer the red too!

Edited by Pate-keetongu

Very impressive work. The architecture style is unique I've not seen it anywhere else other than Finland! I really like like the variety of heights, window shapes and the mix of turrets. The original hotel reminds me a bit of Neuschwanstein, whereas this a lot shorter in height I feel it's grown 'outover' in an organic sort of way. The archways and stairs compliment the lowest floor very nicely. Great job!

Bet it was a pain to move for photgraphs!