TLG looking for new Technic designers!

I would like to, but, I suppose there are better than me. Also, I don't think, that my family would be happy to move 1800km because of my dream job.

That's me.
The airport is 10 minutes from our home with bike and there's a direct flight to Billund from here.
Maybe we can arrange a home-office like employment.

Half-serious Lipko.

I look for all of the openings in the Creative department and there are openings for Designers in only one theme: Technic.

To me this looks like there are some shuffling going on.

Maybe they realised there's strong competition now, and something needs done...

Sounds really tempting and as @Seasider wrote -  15 years ago, I would probably take a shot (without any real expectations of course). Nowadays, the "getting-older fart" in me is mostly worried that turning a well loved hobby into a job would kill that love for a hobby. I am amased how, in example, Milan Reindl - Grohl, besides his regular work at TLG, still does a lot of MOC and MODs in his spare time. I think that is the true passion which makes a great designer. I hope someone from the fan community gets the job, I see it as a chance to introduce even more fan based (AFOL) thinking into to the designs.

Hasn't the Technic department got some new hires anyway - Luke Cragin, and the other new guy who did the Monster Jam sets? Are they just hiring more and more designers, or have some of them been given marching orders? I do remember @Anio saying that Alfred Pedersen no longer works at TLG.

Judging by how many people say they could do better every time new sets come out, TLG will be over run with applications from here alone!!

I'm surprised this thread isn't full of people saying they're going for it....:roflmao:

25 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Judging by how many people say they could do better every time new sets come out, TLG will be over run with applications from here alone!!

I'm surprised this thread isn't full of people saying they're going for it....:roflmao:

I think it's highly unlikely any of our ideas would be taken on board.

43 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

17 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I think it's highly unlikely any of our ideas would be taken on board.

Yea... I am probably the unpopular opinion here.  Even if I was talented enough to be chosen (which I am not) I think it would be a horrible fit for me.  I have been pretty vocal about all the impositions placed on official Lego builders.  While I don't have any in-depth or front-line knowledge on the issue, we all know there are all types of impositions.  Deadlines, limitations on part and building techniques, things one can build, etc.  I actually think it would be horrible..... 

Anyone who thinks building for a multi-million (billion??) dollar company is like happily building in their own home with cozy socks and beer needs some serious rethinking the position...

I Iam disabled enough to can not longer do my old job, so why not. But, actually my pension fund gives the ok for an education into an Technical product designer und iam not sure what happens when the job at Lego doesnt work. Some people say i would have the skill but this would be a big jump and risk. Especially in my situation.

5 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Anyone who thinks building for a multi-million (billion??) dollar company is like happily building in their own home with cozy socks and beer needs some serious rethinking the position...

I agree. If you design for LEGO your Models will obviously be a lot worse than if you built them for yourself. And that's what I think would hurt me the most.

I heard they are allowed in some percentage in their work to work on personal projects.

I, for one, would be okay with constrains since that's pretty much any professional work is about. I love contests and the only reason I don't enter all of them is simply time. And there are constrains in a contest too, some are overlapping with professional ones (for example deadlines).
Actually, time would be a reason to apply for me, because I just don't have to time for Lego as a hobby any more (or any time soon).

As many already also said, I would apply in a heartbeat if I didn't have a family. I think I will anyway, maybe I'll get some feedback from the pro guys/gals (or HR...)

Edited by Lipko

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

Imagine being in an interview and having any previously posted criticisms of TLG read back to you! The TLG would be like "you do understand how deadlines/licensing/cost control works etc., don't you?" and then just sit back and watch people squirm.

Just now, Brickend said:

"you do understand how deadlines/licensing/cost control works etc., don't you?" and then just sit back and watch people squirm.

Exactly...:classic:

54 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I am a designer working for a global billion-dollar company that employs many other designers and successfully competes at the top-end of its market. And I've been a solo freelancer, and have worked in smaller companies. I had incomparably more freedom when working solo - in so many respects - but after almost a decade in my current job I continue to be amazed at the depth and breadth of design talent in my current job. I meet people working in quite different product areas who awe, inspire and help me - and occasionally, perhaps, I help them. In short, the stimulation I get from working in a vast company outweighs the constraints, and the inevitable corporate baggage.

5 minutes ago, Brickend said:

Imagine being in an interview and having any previously posted criticisms of TLG read back to you! The TLG would be like "you do understand how deadlines/licensing/cost control works etc., don't you?" and then just sit back and watch people squirm.

Any candidate squirming because of a question like that is a failure for any company and situation. They are searching for experienced people, not someone just out of college.

6 minutes ago, Lipko said:

not someone just out of college

Squirming due to slating TLG isn't exclusive to someone just out of college... far from it. There are many seasoned users on the forum who have been very vocal about the design failings. Like anyone who is loud behind a keyboard, they would squirm face to face. Unless.

Unless their complaints were structured and constructive because then you can stand by what you said. If however it was a meaningless generalisation.... squirm away!

Edited by TeamThrifty

9 minutes ago, J159753 said:

I meet people working in quite different product areas who awe, inspire and help me - and occasionally, perhaps, I help them. In short, the stimulation I get from working in a vast company outweighs the constraints, and the inevitable corporate baggage.

This is a good point.  This is the other side of the coin that is important to consider.  One man's "constraints" may be another man's liberations....

1 hour ago, efferman said:

I Iam disabled enough to can not longer do my old job, so why not. But, actually my pension fund gives the ok for an education into an Technical product designer und iam not sure what happens when the job at Lego doesnt work. Some people say i would have the skill but this would be a big jump and risk. Especially in my situation.

Lego is your hobby/love and working there would probably kill that love/passion for Lego as a hobby.

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

I agree. If you design for LEGO your Models will obviously be a lot worse than if you built them for yourself. And that's what I think would hurt me the most.

A lot of people that dream of working at Lego don't realize you go from a hobby to an almost naked versions of what you do. 

But they do sometimes bring work home.

To add from the job listing:

"Collaborate across: Work closely with a cross-functional team in a creative, international, and open-minded environment.

Strong communication skills to pitch concept ideas - both verbally and visually

• A high level of self-motivation and time management to reach deadlines

• A firm belief that great design work is a team effort and knowing how to both give and receive constructive feedback"

Most MOC's are made by one person whenever they get time. Some people don't like to work with others and/or deadlines.

Edited by weavil

25 minutes ago, weavil said:

Lego is your hobby/love and working there would probably kill that love/passion for Lego as a hobby.

There are many designers at TLG who were (and still are) active AFOLs before being hired, so I don't think it's necessarily true. But as you said a lot of people tend to romanticize a job at LEGO, there are certainly a lot of aspects that are less appealing and fun than the design process itself. The ability to work in a team and to work with deadlines is certainly a must.