Sign in to follow this  
Tarix819

[MOC] T.13B3 Tank Destroyer

History

Here is my latest model, which is of the T.13B3, a Tank Destroyer used by the Belgian Chasseurs Ardennais from 1936 to 1940. The T.13B3 was to be the third model of the Belgian T.13 series of Tank Destroyers, all based upon the British Vickers model 1931 Artillery Tractor, which were purchased by Belgium in 1934. The T.13B3 of 1936 attempted to improve upon the previous T.13B2 in many regards; the hull was greatly redesigned, with a raised rear idler fitted to improve stability. It recieved a new 360-degree rotating turret to house the 47mm Mle. 1931 Anti-Tank gun, as well an additional crew member to serve as the dedicated loader. These vehicles saw service in 1940 during the Battle for Belgium.

The Model

This was my first foreign vehicle I have built, but given its British origins it shared many components with some of my previous vehicles I have built before, namely the Vickers M1937 and M1936. The suspension and chassis design were all quite similar, but I still refined and improved it quite a lot - for example I have used the full motorcycle and tyres for the road wheels instead of just the motorcycle wheels. I had only three weeks to build this vehicle after preparing and scaling the design, so this similarity came in handy, and i'm thankful I never ran into any major problems when building it, as I have done on some earlier tanks, as I would not have been able to finish it in such a short amount of time otherwise. I am still finishing off the instructions which will go up on Rebrickable and Mocsmarket within a week with any luck.

Features

-1:8 scale

-6.3kg in weight

-Controlled by three SBricks.

-Hull is powered by two AA Battery Boxes each containing three 3.7v Li-Ion 14500 batteries and three dummy batteries, giving a total output of 22.2v or 11.1v per track.

-Turret is powered by one PF Li-Po 7.4v Battery Box.

-Full RC driving - each track powered by two PF-XL motors.

-Functional leaf-spring suspension (Horstmann).

-Functional track tensioners.

-Functional headlights.

-360-degree rotating turret.

-Elevating and depressing main gun.

-Firing main gun with high power and recoil effect - the spent shell casings are ejected after each shot.

-Four-shot magazine with short reload time.

-High detail, including tools, exhaust, tow-hook and siren.

Photos

pXs6DMp.jpg

VWfTyLH.jpg

7S5zf8T.jpg

0lK8dOS.jpg

A9bqU01.jpg

SzkCTMU.jpg

C7DVcnn.jpg

UqnCAEe.jpg

That is an incredible build, the overall level of detail is exceptional and the high functionality is brilliant.

23 hours ago, Stuartn said:

That is an incredible build, the overall level of detail is exceptional and the high functionality is brilliant.

Thank you! 

On 4/15/2021 at 10:24 PM, Tarix819 said:

Here is my latest model

1. Frontpaged
2. Tag awarded
3. Very well done, again!
4. Awesome presentation, again!

:thumbup:

It's beautifully built (and huge), and the functions are also great. I really like the complexity of the shooting mechanism, you must have spent some time getting that realistic, even ejecting the shell cases!

Do the leaf springs rely on flexibility of plates?

7 hours ago, Milan said:

1. Frontpaged
2. Tag awarded
3. Very well done, again!
4. Awesome presentation, again!

Thank you! I love the tag!

6 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Do the leaf springs rely on flexibility of plates?

They do, I have been using the tiles in this way for about 8 months (On my Vickers Mk. E, Matilda, and now this T.13B3) and have had no signs of damage so far, I think as long you stack them to an amount which effectively supports the weight of the vehicle, it doesn't risk damaging them. This 6.3kg vehicle is supported by 24 1x8 tiles that make up the suspension on the bogies.

3 hours ago, Fnordygem10701 said:

that is o mazing  

O Thank you!

Edited by Tarix819

6 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

you must have spent some time getting that realistic, even ejecting the shell cases!

Indeed, the firing mechanism is a culmination of about a year's worth of designing and improving, this version is more reliable, and smaller/lighter than on my previous shooting Tank (Vickers M1937). I intend to make a video demonstrating it in more detail at some point.

Totally cool! :wub_drool:

My jaw dropped when I saw the tank fire, then imagine when I saw the track tensioning mechanism and the six cylinder engine running ...my mind is blown up! :excited:

Perfect work! :thumbup:

14 hours ago, Tarix819 said:

They do, I have been using the tiles in this way for about 8 months (On my Vickers Mk. E, Matilda, and now this T.13B3) and have had no signs of damage so far, I think as long you stack them to an amount which effectively supports the weight of the vehicle, it doesn't risk damaging them. This 6.3kg vehicle is supported by 24 1x8 tiles that make up the suspension on the bogies.

It took me a few closer looks to understand that those grey ones are actually tiles (no studs on top) stacked together, and only connected on one end, and the other end is left free for sliding, right? That's really like in reality, ingenious! What did you use to hold them together on the other end? Is that a rubber band or some other plastic thingy?

14 hours ago, Tarix819 said:

Indeed, the firing mechanism is a culmination of about a year's worth of designing and improving, this version is more reliable, and smaller/lighter than on my previous shooting Tank (Vickers M1937). I intend to make a video demonstrating it in more detail at some point.

Great accumulation of improvement then, really admirable meticulousness!

7 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Perfect work! :thumbup:

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

It took me a few closer looks to understand that those grey ones are actually tiles (no studs on top) stacked together, and only connected on one end, and the other end is left free for sliding, right? That's really like in reality, ingenious! What did you use to hold them together on the other end? Is that a rubber band or some other plastic thingy?

Yep you're exactly correct, they are held for sliding by a small black rubber band, double wrapped around it.

When the front wheel of the bogie moves up, the rear wheel presses into the ground, thus compressing the leaf spring, and vice versa. The great thing about this type of suspension is that you can increase or reduce the suspension hardness by adding or removing a tile respectively.

Edited by Tarix819