Ptchnk

6-wide Y-8000 series locotractors

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Anyway, to clarify what I was suggesting in my last post, right now the IR receiver sticks into the cab by 1-2 studs. If you move the cab forward (to the right in the picture below) by one or two studs you get the receiver out of the cab. The trouble is, you now have the lower part of the IR receiver filling the gap behind (to the left of) the cab but a 1 wide hole above the PF connectors, e.g., where the yellow brick with a clip is in the picture. So I was suggesting that for this row of studs at the bottom you could have the cab be 6 wide  until clearing the top of the PF connectors, then drop to 4 wide for the rest of the way up.

I see your point now. As it is to use in our living room on limited sized tracks, lower the IR by one layer should be fine. Thus the inner cab will be fine with a proper floor and enough room to fit the minifig seated with a hat. I know going PU will clear room but it is no cheap for such a little loco and we already have a train with PF.

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

If you build it this way, you could just use a train motor with an axle on one end.

You are right and that was of my initial thougt actually but kinda forgot about it in the rush of finding a solution for the motorization.

Anyway, here is an update with the train motor. Just have to think about adding a hole in the base to accomodate the moto plug even if not functional.

1564505.0DA57011B14CA73B.png

I put all the last bits all together, here is the result with the "Infra" derived color scheme:

1564728.F8D064C20C08D1E3.png

I think i'm really close to what i was looking for :classic:

Still have to test the other color scheme and upgrade the "no-motor" version with the last upgrades so that the model can be compatible with both versions.

And of course, screen for possible built unstability.

So what are you thinking of for powering on/off and replacing batteries, that you would just do a minor disassembly?

Meanwhile, you have an interesting plate on the front and rear of the cab that is red on one side and yellow on the other, is that a red sticker that keeps the stripe going to the font and rear of the cab while being absent on the sides?

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

So what are you thinking of for powering on/off and replacing batteries, that you would just do a minor disassembly?

For powering the train, i implemented a simple mechanism in the front hood. Just by pressing the first 4x2 tile as picture inoragne below. For battery change, there not much to unbuilt on the front hood to remove the battery box. But i might also try to source a rechargeable PF battery.

1567230.DA3A121240BB6F77.png

Regarding the 1x1 plate with a red side, it does exist only in white but i just wanted to see how it looked. Sticker or bit of paint would have done the job i guess.

Also, i'm not quite happy yet with the look of the side windows, so i tried a different design for the upper part of the cab. Also gives me more lateral room to shift the driver a little bit.

1567224.DC5D529049729D34.png

1567226.127CD39968C566D1.png

1567228.C43BE1DE4D7479C8.png1567252.1BFE84BCECD077DC.png

Edited by Ptchnk