51079165591_b62983c346_k.jpg

51078469313_06e0999beb_k.jpg%3E

51079264257_a5dbc7bf71_k.jpg

51078468788_4095cdea0c_k.jpg

The aircraft
Completing its maiden flight on February 9th, 1969 the Boeing 747 went into production in 1970 and has been so for more than 50 years. Over the course of time many different variants of the airliner were produced. Aside from its major use in passenger transport it was used to carry the Space Shuttle, used as an airborne telescope and most recently used to launch rockets into orbit. Its iconic shape with the distinctive hump that accommodates the cockpit and the raised passenger deck has become a classic symbol for all jumbo jets and airborne passenger transport alike. With the aircraft retiring from service soon I thought it would be a great chance to submit this project as a tribute to this iconic airliner.

native

The model
While not being based on a specific variant of the 747 this model is meant to be a general tribute to this awesome marvel of engineering. The creation is built out of 603 parts (including stand) and the aircraft measures approximately 37 cm L x 33 cm W x 10.5 cm H (14.6" L x 13" W x 4.1" H). It includes many details such as printed decals representing the passenger windows and the doors, the four turbofan engines, removable landing gear and a sleek stand for dynamic display. In combination with the size, the stand and the stylish red and orange livery would make it a great swooshable desk display-piece for any fan of LEGO and aviation.

51078469373_94bda5afa3_k.jpg

This creation was built using Mecabricks and rendered in Blender but all building techniques have been tested with real bricks as well. Feel free to check out this 3D-view of the creation on Mecabricks and the high resolution images on flickr.

If you like what you see then please consider heading over to LEGO Ideas and supporting. With your help this could become an official LEGO set!
Edited by saabfan

Interesting scale - looks great!  I like the stand too, so long as it's sturdy enough to hold that beast up.  NPU on the engines, and nice job with the wing and tail geometry.  :classic:

18 hours ago, Shiva said:

That is a nice model.

Scale around 1:190.

That stand might be a bit fragile tho.

Thank you, the squares in the last blueprint image should be 5cm in height/width. Thanks to the snot technique the stand can hold quite a bit of weight vertically but you're right and can't take much lateral force.

16 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Wow, looks excellent!

Thanks  a lot!

9 hours ago, deraven said:

Interesting scale - looks great!  I like the stand too, so long as it's sturdy enough to hold that beast up.  NPU on the engines, and nice job with the wing and tail geometry.  :classic:

Thank you very much, you can check out the building techniques on flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVgwJTA

How does this not get more attention!? It looks better than most lego airliner models that are twice the size or larger. Btw the techniques you used to get the wing geometry are very educative - I suggest everyone check the internal views on flickr.

Good looking model with nice proportions

Not sure the -200 style top deck goes with the winglets though and also that the winglets look a bit chunky (but then I am being fussy). Might be better just to lose them?

On 4/19/2021 at 7:34 PM, bartosza6m said:

Beautiful set!

Thank you! :)

On 4/20/2021 at 12:47 PM, Milan said:

Frontpaged.

Thanks a lot!

On 4/20/2021 at 11:47 PM, rriggs said:

Good looking model with nice proportions

Not sure the -200 style top deck goes with the winglets though and also that the winglets look a bit chunky (but then I am being fussy). Might be better just to lose them?

Thank you, the model is kind of a Frankenstein of different 747 variants. I was mostly trying to replicate the iconic shape. You're right though, the winglets are a bit chunky.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, StarBricks said:

Fantastic! MOC beautiful and superb presentation.

Thank you very much!

On 4/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, GiantAmbushBeetle said:

Amazing shape, especially for this small scale! Love it. :thumbup:

Thanks!

On 4/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Top notch work! :thumbup:

Boing 747 is great plane and this Lego model is excellent! :wub_drool:

Thanks a lot. :)