800x600.png

Hi,

I think 42099 is a nice starter RC set of the PU line, so I set out to test what else can be brought out of all its parts. I'd like to share with you my set of 5 alternate builds from it. It has been a great exercise for experimenting with different options for suspensions, drivetrains and bodyworks, testing the versatility of this medium-sized set. In the end, all of the alternate models came out with quite different shapes, suspension techniques and motor/gearing setups, and I think I even managed to use those large turntables in some interesting ways.

During my builds, I found that the set has a good array of structural elements, of course good drivetrain components, but is a bit limited on gears, axles and body panels. Nevertheless, once you get used to it, more configurations are possible than you would think :)

Here are my builds in chronological order. Much more design details and images of each are accessible on the link behind each name. Here I shortly summarize the features and the differentiating factors of them.

1) Jeepy
This model was inspired by the release of the Jeep Wrangler set and its pendular suspension using the small turntables.

- Pendular suspension using large turntables, both front and rear
- 4WD slow drivetrain for good climbing, separate front and rear drive
- Jeep-like exterior, focusing on the shape of the hood and the grill, plus the roll-cage

800x600.png

2) Buggy
Inspired by the release of the RC Buggy set, with this model the goal was to test how fast the the two XL motors can be geared up, along with creating a slick bodywork.

- Independent long travel suspension with longer swing-arms both front and rear, high ground clearance
- Fast up-geared rear wheel drive, independent for left and right wheel without differential
- Positive caster angle at the front axle
- Light-weight curvy bodywork, custom built seat

800x600.png

3) Beasty
This model aimed to test the possibility of building a live axle rear suspension using the large turntable, along with coupled motors for a stronger drivetrain.

- Live axle rear suspension with push-rods for extreme articulation, independent front suspension
- 4WD drivetrain with coupled motors driving both front and rear axles, adjustable gearing
- Rough exterior, minimalistic interior

800x600.png

4) Quadro
The goal of this model was to build something other than a car, and to experiment with an unconventional motor setup.

- Independent front suspension with positive caster angle, trailing arm rear suspension
- V-engine built out of the joined drive motors, rear wheel drive
- Functional steering rod
- Chubby bulldog-like quad shape, bullbar

800x600.png

5) Trophy
With this model, I wanted to push the live axle possibilities further, creating long soft travel using only the short springs, and to find a sweet-spot in the up-gearing of the motors. At the same time aiming to create a larger-looking bodywork with the limited array of panels.

- Long soft travel live axle rear suspension, independent front suspension
- Rear wheel drive with motors built into the rear axle, independent left and right drivetrain without differential, faster gearing
- Trophy-truck like exterior with curved front and long tail, imitated spare wheel

800x600.png

All models can be controlled with the stock Control+ App, and the batteries can either be directly accessed from the bottom, or can be removed after detaching a few panels.

All models are available separately or in a 5-in-1 pack on Rebrickable.

I hope this makes you value your 42099 sets even more :) Let me know what you think!

Edited by gyenesvi

This is really cool. I particularly like the idea of exploring different setups for different purposes. I have never been inclined fair the 42099, but seeing these alternatives I'm having second thoughts. 

Many thanks for sharing this and congrats for the effort and success!

It is really impressive that you pulled out 5 B-Models all seems fit for sale, while TLC couldn't even go with 1 B-model.

Lego really should have gone with 1 crawler model with higher torque and 1 faster version (rear-wheeled-driven) with more speed.

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Lego really should have gone with 1 crawler model with higher torque and 1 faster version (rear-wheeled-driven) with more speed.

In general, I don't mind not having B models for larger (especially licensed sets), but in this case I somewhat agree that it would have been nice to have, since this model was used to showcase the PU system. I guess it was higher priority to push it out. Furthermore, the faster version is a bit difficult to achieve with those portal hubs optimized for crawling.. Possible, but the torque is mostly lost in all the up-and-down gearing..

20 minutes ago, Jurss said:

There should be possible also some articulated steered tracotor ;)

Haha, I guess the base could be built using a turntable, but the suspension parts are not so useful for that, would be just in the way, and then what do you put on top of it? Not much parts for anything genuine, maybe a forklift, but those aren't usually articulated. Could have one XL motor for drive, 1L for steering, and the other XL for the lift, but you won't be able to control that with the stock Control+ App. I wanted to keep that for ease of use.

Thanks, yes the quad is quite popular, for being different and for the V-engine construction I guess.

Very impressive that you managed to 5 different models out of that. 

Great job, so many good alternative models, makes me want this set all the more.

I have been on the fence lately on whether to get it or not, as much as I want it I think I should wait until I see the new Mercedes trials truck. Since it is unlikely I can get both, I will have to pick only one.

21 hours ago, trekman said:

Nice work and they are all nice models.  Well done!

16 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Great job, so many good alternative models, makes me want this set all the more.

16 hours ago, MY1 said:

Very impressive that you managed to 5 different models out of that. 

Thanks, glad you like them!

16 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I have been on the fence lately on whether to get it or not, as much as I want it I think I should wait until I see the new Mercedes trials truck. Since it is unlikely I can get both, I will have to pick only one.

Yeah, I agree with you that you should wait for the Zetros to decide, I think it will be a bigger set, maybe better if you can only choose one, and hopefully the functions will be at least as good.