Sign in to follow this  
CapOnBOBS

[BTV2 - OL] The Death of COL Delange

Dear Sir,

I write you tonight from a jubilant Nola Mar where peace and victory, so dearly bought, are finally at hand. As the Generals draw lines on maps and the tallies are counted, it is imperative to me that this story be retold.

174154276_875518523025930_7717317807226608218_n

The story of the death of COL Delange, the dire situation of Astrapi's own beloved Garde de Grenadiers du 1er Régiment (1st Regt Grenadier Guards), and the actions and bravery of a young Officer named Edward Beauchamp.  

174130087_944479919425729_2319968768055751598_n

Sergeants told new recruits that Delange had been in the Regiment since they had tinted their epaulettes with Corry blood, and well this may actually have been true. The Colonel had been Commanding the Regiment for longer than all but the most seasoned remembered. Fearless and full of bravado, he had been pleased when his most aggressive Battalion Commander, LTC Beauchamp had asked to be the breach element for the final assault on King's Port. Beauchamp's charisma and aggressive tactics had made him the focal point of the Nola Mar volunteers. His battalion was a combination of an elite grenadier company and zealous Nola Mar loyalists. Their hit and run tactics leading up to the major battles had earned them the nom de guerre, "Beauchamp's Marauders." The Nola Mar loyalists would not stand any other troops being first into the inner city, Delange was happy to oblige.

174114780_553077072748669_2665191563078953323_n

Delay after delay held off the main attack and all the while, the Duke's men were fortifying the position. When finally the assault commenced, the ferocity of the 1st Grenadiers was met in kind by TV artillery that played havoc amongst the buildings at such close range. 

174035778_356525189130155_8084951858657991353_n

It was here, where the artillery was most intense and the fighting most dangerous that COL Delange was striding back and forth with the regimental colors flying behind him as if on a parade. Undaunted by casualties and the destruction around them, the Nola Mar volunteers and the elite Grenadier Guards continued to follow their leaders forward, until a shell fragment ripped through the side of Delange as he bolted across an open alleyway. 

174334476_482034079600856_4723017695756225336_n

"Its alright, its..... alright..." the pain of speaking cut him short. The pain etched on his typically unflinching face was more telling than the growing pool of blood. The Colonel would not survive much longer, he would not move from this spot. "The rain is heavier than the forecast had called for" he managed a shallow laugh. "This was your idea Beauchamp, I need you to see it through. Its fine, knock out those guns so a litter can come out and get me off this wall before the house burns down." 

174096388_570739823846475_1011450923528936732_n

"Yes Sir" Beauchamp nodded as another round screamed in, impacted around the corner and breaking the disturbingly quiet and calm scene.

"You have a lot of ground still to cover, and it sounds like plenty to do when you get there. You wanted to be first into the city center, your local boys will have there chance." 

174213842_296767251907565_7766973046628081783_n

"We won't let you down" Beauchamp said reassuringly to the fading Colonel. 

"Here, the saber was.... a gift from... the last Commander" Delange's chest heaved as his blood stained gloves lifted the etched saber to the pistol wielding LTC.

173965852_1347290375627246_891997692678928608_n

"I'll take good care of them, Colonel" Edward said distractedly referring to the Regiment of pinned down Grenadiers instead of the sword. He stood up and looked around as a litter arrived to take charge of the mortally wounded Colonel. Making eye contact with the gathered officers, LTC Edwards Beauchamp quietly said, "Follow me" and walked towards the incoming shells. "Follow me" he said as he picked up to a trot, holding the saber, in front of him as if it were still some foreign object. "Follow me!" he yelled as he took off at a full run towards the entrenched defenders. With the shells continuing to rain down around them and musket fire intensifying, the men rallied to their new leader. Using speed and the cover of the rubbled inner city to minimize the impact of the constant barrage, Beauchamp led the battered troops forward and the Garde de Grenadiers du 1er Régiment (1st Regt Grenadier Guards) rushed the inner defenses of the city and cracked the Terraversan line. 

It was the saddest and proudest moment in the long history of the Regiment. The death of a hero and a pivotal point in the drawn out final battle for King's Port. Once the city fell, the young LTC kept his men in order, preparing a hasty defensive position to hold their newly conquered lands, and tending mercifully to their own wounded and captured wounded alike. Though we have lost a great leader, it had been young Beuachamp from the start that had volunteered for the dangerous breach assignment to lead the assault and then ultimately it was him that saw the attack through against everything the defenders could muster. He is well deserving of any recognition you see fit and I believe the Regiment will do well under his leadership despite his age. 

Yours humbly.

Colonel Gaston Kalbette 

Army Operations

Encamped near Nola Mar 

Edited by CapOnBOBS

The third and fourth pictures really capture the mood - I love the explosion technique in picture 3 and in picture 4 you can feel the concern of the troops for their commander. Nice work

I spotted a little trans red in the first pic, and obviously in the last pic too. Last year I picked up this trans red "spill/splat" for scenes like these but haven't had a chance to use it well yet: https://brickforge.com/products/spill-splat

Edited by evancelt

Nice build, the ruins are well done. And a very touching story.

Has the stress of the war turned the Bluecoats bald? If so, the Corrington press might start calling your armies the Baldcoats :pir-wink:

Great job depicting a chaotic yet historic moment!

May statues be erected for him! (always nice to conquer settlements with some statues in it :bonaparte:)

Good detailed history and realistically built ruin. The debris and the blazing fire looks good. Great photos of the scenario.

An appropriate subject, well told and well illustrated. As mentioned earlier, the last two photos are very effective. Cheers for Delange and Beauchamp! :pir-huzzah2:

7 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Baldcoats

In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson, "Doh" This bothers me so much I'm probably going to re do with my sigfigs sweet manbun on tonight.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:45 AM, evancelt said:

This purchase is inevitable! :pir-huzzah2:

On 4/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, Spud The Viking said:

Baldcoats :pir-wink:

Totally re-shot in order for my sigfig to rock his manbun. Glad you called it out before I disassembled any of it. So... thanks... I guess :pir-grin: 

On 4/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, Maxim I said:

statues

"Come and get them!" -CPT Leonidas of the 1st Grenadier Guards 

Had a comment from somebody the other day about trying some shots at Mini-Fig level. So added a few giving that a try. Very happy with results. Forgot who said that and where, but thanks!

Edited by CapOnBOBS

Nice action scene. It's good to read stories such as this one as I feel it really adds to the world we are creating. Well Done.

PS - what rank is LTC? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation...  Lieutenant Colonel?

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

PS - what rank is LTC?

Yup, Lieutenant Colonel for LTC and Colonel for COL is an easier leap but still unexplained shorthand. 

Glad the story is appreciated, seemed like a good way to (shamelessly promote my sigfig) add some more color and depth to recent events.